The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-29-2021, 03:39 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
But that’s the thing. All sitcoms have moments or entire episodes were the male characters are insensitive to the female characters and by the end learn they were wrong. That’s totally a trope.

It’s just that back in the day there was no term like Woke.

The original Flintstones did this. Fred and Barney trying to get out of trouble with Wilma and Betty for their antics or skipping out on them.
The big difference is then it was done for simple quick funny haha stuff, and even then the female characters (or whoever) would similarly get lampooned by the same token. Now there is an actual, full-on mainstream agenda behind it. Like, projects existing for no other reason.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:34 AM   #22
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya it probably carries more of a meaning now. To set a good example. Even this is not a new though. Stuff that’s way more recent has been doing it.

The Simpsons has a lot of episodes where Homer messes up and has to prove to Marge he’s sorry. Not just for laughs. Serious ones. They’ve done it since the 90s.

I’m sure Bedrock! will have moments like this or make fun of Fred for being old fashioned but I think it’ll be more about the advancements and how they adapted. It’s still a comedy.

Of course they’ll include some real life similarities and metaphors. Everything does.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:14 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

The original series aired in the 60's so social norms from back then are obviously not the same as they are now. A lot of the things Fred did back then would be considered sexist now. He would also be considered a bully/abuser for the times he slammed his fist down on Barney's skull. He also MANSPLAINS to Wilma several times in the original series. I don't care about any of this stuff but you know if people today went back and watched the original they'd be complaining everywhere online.

Also I vaguely remember Fred/Barney drinking alcohol at times in mugs at the lounge meetings. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but that's what Simpsons based that one episode on.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Seems like the obvious choice would be to take inspiration from the recent DC comics series:
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/2...w-russell-pugh

Didn't run very long but the people who read it found it interesting.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #25
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Kids for over 20 years now only know pebbles and bambam as the mascots of the cereal, they don't know who the flintstones are. Dinosaurs with cavemen in media is ancient history, similar to having a fat black woman in the kitchen. You're only going to see boomers complaining about it that it's not like that anymore. We got rid of that stereotype and it should never return. EVER.

Luckily I think they indeed see the flintstones as an outdated trope and will only use the concept for ***** and giggles over how stupid the concept is. The original flintstones had a continuity decades long and achieved a lot, anyone wanting more flintstones has more than enough content to check out. This only works as a parody of the past and how silly we portrayed dinosaurs in media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wanted to marathon all 166 episodes of Flintstones and all the movies for awhile now, maybe I'll do it soon..
You have to fully commit to flintstones continuity, don't forget you need to watch everything with the Jetsons since they share the timeline.
Also captain caveman had his own show when he was revived in the present (he was alive in the flintstones kid era), now captain caveman might be in continuity with Scooby-Doo which further complicates things as you'd need to watch all of that.

Laff-a-lympics are non-canon so we're good there. They've also appeared in many other HB shows but they seem to just be non-canon cameos or gags just to be played for laughs and not to be taken seriously. But depending on your views, because we can easily add from 3-4 more shows to your marathon or even most of the Hanna-Barbera library depending on how strict you want to be.

Good luck, even at 1.8 speed it should take you 2 years if we add all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Elizabeth Banks, "hot" off of the failed SJW Charlie's Angel's reboot... making a Flintstones series and it is all about Pebbles?

Hmm... very suspicious.

Last edited by sdp; 04-29-2021 at 07:35 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:30 AM   #26
Allio
Foot Elite

DC’s run of Flintstone’s was fantastic. Better than it has any right to be. Jet sons was “okay”
Old 04-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Will this show with adult Pebbles still be continuity with the old Pebbles and Bam Bam show from the 70's?

I also wonder what Pebbles design will look like and if they keep this one. All of their friends can disappear though.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

This is what they looked like the last time we saw them:
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

How dare they sexualize Pebbles!
Old 04-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

When I was like three and four years old the "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm" show was on more often than the regular Flintstones show was for a while. Teela had already conditioned me to have a thing for redheads so I thought she was super hot back then. And then I'd get annoyed when they'd have regular Flintstones on.

Wonder what Banks is gonna look like with red hair?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:58 AM   #31
Allio
Foot Elite

Only thing I remember of adult pebbles and Bamm-Bamm was the special where they had twins.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #32
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Will this show with adult Pebbles still be continuity with the old Pebbles and Bam Bam show from the 70's?
If it is, they'll have to ignore the last few specials where Pebbles and Bam-Bam got married and had kids...not unless they want to trounce on that happy ending by having Pebbles as a struggling divorcee and an unfit mother who loses custody of the kids to the father
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

What judge would ever grant Bamm-Bamm full custody of a kid? They'd have to be smokin' crack.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #34
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
This [The Flinstones] only works as a parody of the past and how silly we portrayed dinosaurs in media.
The liberal brain, right here folks. How silly. We. Portrayed. Dinosaurs........ Inthemedia.

So hard up on it's own bull$#!( and lost in phony crusading that it will generate a thought and sentence such as this, and without parody.

Quite literally the posterchild post of this entire mentality right here. Because... you know... modern portrayals should never diminish the status of dinosaurs or it is an anachronism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Dinosaurs with cavemen in media is ancient history, similar to having a fat black woman in the kitchen.
The two have absolutely zero correlation. One is comedic science fiction and the other happens in real life from time to time or in SDP's use of it as an example of racist caricature. There is no correlation here in saying that science fiction use of dinosaurs with cavemen is anachronistic, & even if it was there is no argument similar to racism to be made against it in pop culture. Modern social justice right there for you folks. SDP is building a pyre on the argument that depictions of dinosaurs with cavemen in media is akin to racist caricatures of portly black females cooking.

The post I'm quoting was quite literally, without fail the greatest "Liberal Idiot of the highest order" post I have ever seen on the Technodrome forums. Ever. Bar none. "How. We. Portrayed. DINOSAURS. In the media."

Last edited by IMJ; 04-29-2021 at 10:07 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #35
Leo656
The Franchise

You gotta remember, man...
Saxon = Joke Account.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #36
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You gotta remember, man...
Saxon = Joke Account.
Oh God I hope what you are saying is true. Because I can't tell anymore with these f'n people....

If it's true then I'm sorry for thinking he meant it. OMG I was wondering if he dropped too much MDA at one of his raves or something. I'm actually so happy at the possibility that the Dinosaur outrage was a joke.... I'm like laughing about it here at my computer.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

At this point it wouldn't shock me at all if sdp and Saxon from the gamefaqs boards were literally the same person.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Heh, I regularly troll gamefaqs as well and the people there are so stupid they take anything I say completely seriously.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

I haven't looked at those boards in years. Are YOU Saxon?

Old 04-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

nope, I only post on the videogame sections for certain games.