The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #41
AquaParade
Banned

Either way, as bad as I want this film, where could they even take it?

Honestly, my mind goes somewhere like Alien to Aliens, or Terminator to Terminator 2. I think you have to swerve a bit, even though it sounds like a potential huge "jump the shark" moment. But what else can you do??
I don't know. Maybe you go "Godfather'esque" operatic gangster film? What is the story there? To be honest, I'm having a hell of a fun time trying to crack the nut of what angle this next film could utilize.

There are obvious routes you could go, but they don't necessarily seem like the right ones. Dredging up Batman, for example.

Hmm. What about featuring the Joker heavily, but having the protagonist being someone in Joker's inner circle, akin to the "Joker" graphic novel by Azzarello and Bermejo.
Seeing through a new character's eyes how this type of madness can be contagious. Seeing Joker's madness spread, his reputation grow, and perhaps eventually topple over on itself, through the eyes of someone looking for a purpose or sense of home by means of Joker's "cult". Maybe there is a story there?

I'm really spitballin here, but I think it does need this type of mix-up, even if not the one I am describing.

Last edited by AquaParade; 11-21-2019 at 02:53 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Either way, as bad as I want this film, where could they even take it?

Honestly, my mind goes somewhere like Alien to Aliens, or Terminator to Terminator 2. I think you have to swerve a bit, even though it sounds like a potential huge "jump the shark" moment. But what else can you do??
I don't know. Maybe you go "Godfather'esque" operatic gangster film? What is the story there? To be honest, I'm having a hell of a fun time trying to crack the nut of what angle this next film could utilize.

There are obvious routes you could go, but they don't necessarily seem like the right ones. Dredging up Batman, for example.

Hmm. What about featuring the Joker heavily, but having the protagonist being someone in Joker's inner circle, akin to the "Joker" graphic novel by Azzarello and Bermejo.
Seeing through a new character's eyes how this type of madness can be contagious. Seeing Joker's madness spread, his reputation grow, and perhaps eventually topple over on itself, through the eyes of someone looking for a purpose or sense of home by means of Joker's "cult". Maybe there is a story there?

I'm really spitballin here, but I think it does need this type of mix-up, even if not the one I am describing.
I think it'd be something like Joker 2: The Riddler, or something like that. Joker's insanity inspires someone else to embrace their inner darkness, that kinda thing.

Or maybe Joker 2: Hugo Strange. THAT'D be an interesting film... Hugo Strange psychoanalyzing the clown.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #43
Galactus
Foot Elite

So you're telling me this complete one-off art house, auteur driven, "real" movie about "real" issues that is only masquerading as a major comic book movie is now getting franchised?

Well I never.

Looking forward to Joker 2: Arthur vs Grodd: Dawn of the Legion.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

See, maybe I'm wired different from most - very likely - but I absolutely don't find any of the speculation/wishful thinking/predicting about the possible plots of future movies "fun", and haven't for a very long time. I like to drop my two cents in like anyone else, but I definitely am long over the "Maybe they'll do THIS!/I hope they do THAT!" phase.

I learned a very long time ago that whatever I WANT them to do, they're not gonna do, and in fact, they'll probably go out of their way to do the opposite. Far, FAR too many things that I was looking forward to turned out to be sh*t. And I don't like feeling disappointed. I think "Justice League" was the last time I had any positive expectations for a movie whatsoever. And I don't even hate that movie. But it definitely made me feel like an idiot for 1. Believing the trailers, and 2. Ever being half as excited as I was.

As far as a movie's storylines, plot, whatever... I don't predict, speculate, or hope. I can do that about stuff like whether or not it will make money, get good reviews, whatever, because those things are very easy to forecast. As far as the story part goes, it's always gonna be whatever the hell they wanna do, anyway, and it's never gonna be in any way related to what makes sense (or if it's an adaptation, anything from the source material). So I'm definitely not about to start wasting neurons on pondering what the next Joker movie's story is gonna be. It doesn't matter what we think or predict. There's a very slim chance it might not even happen (although that's like, a 1% chance). Why worry about it now?

We'll find out when we find out, and that's good enough for me. I'd rather have zero expectations and be pleasantly surprised (as I was with "Joker"), than have a whole wishful scenario in my head and be pissed off when it doesn't come to pass. That's exactly why people hate the Star Wars Prequels so much, for one thing, the fact that the entire fanbase spent 20 years writing the movies in their imagination before getting something that was nothing like that. Doesn't seem healthy or productive. Too much like grade school kids at the lunch table. Thus, why my final word on any upcoming movie is always, "We'll See." That's all we know for a fact; we will, indeed see. But anything else is wasted energy, to me.

((Shrug))

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #45
AquaParade
Banned

I think it’s fun to discuss things. Yeah, sometimes I form expectations that can lead to initial disappointment, but that’s just a hump I have to get over. If the movie is worth my time, I’ll come around to it. The speculation and build up to a film is a lot of fun for me. I enjoy using my imagination to rack up ideas on which direction a film could take and bouncing them off of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I think it'd be something like Joker 2: The Riddler, or something like that. Joker's insanity inspires someone else to embrace their inner darkness, that kinda thing
Or maybe Joker 2: Hugo Strange. THAT'D be an interesting film... Hugo Strange psychoanalyzing the clown.
So you think they may bring in another famous DC villain?

Interesting. My initial reaction was to write this idea off based on the hardcore realistic sensibilities of Todd and Joaquin, but I have to remember that this is the guy (Todd) who pitched a whole DC label to Warner Bros. It’s possible there are other characters he has his eye on.

Not what I’d bet on, but I see where you’re coming from.

Last edited by AquaParade; 11-21-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #46
Leo656
The Franchise

And that's fine. I just don't see the point in being emotionally invested in this stuff. Not just you, I mean people in general. I see it daily and it's frustrating. People say they're "having fun" but really all they are doing is riding a rollercoaster of "Hope/Wish/Disappointment". If you skip A and B, then you don't end up with C.

For what it's worth, I use the same logic when people try to get me to speculate on the existence of God and/or the afterlife with them. "What are you asking me NOW for? Come find me when we're dead, by then we'll have lots to talk about. Until then, it doesn't matter, and I got actual sh*t to do."

Things we have no control over, I see no point in worrying or even thinking a great deal about. That's all I'm saying. People can feel differently if they want to. I just can't help but notice that a lot of those same people spend a lot of time whining that the thing they were looking forward to didn't turn out like they wanted it to. And in my heart, I know those people would have been happier if they didn't have such high hopes or expectations in the first place, and simply took things for what they are rather than what they are not.

And there's your Moment Of Zen.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 PM   #47
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah. I honestly feel a slave to my expectations at times. My experience with something depends as much on my expectation of it as it does the actual quality of said experience, if that makes sense.
Pretty much, anyway.

Low expectations have yielded some really surprising and awesome moments in my life. But yeah, I enjoy the build up too much and anything worth experiencing will stand on its own merits, is basically where I’m at.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

True story: I went on a really awesome mental health retreat a while back, and it was incredibly liberating. I highly recommend it as an experience. It's like getting your brain taken out, scrubbed clean and put back in. I think it's something every single adult should go through at one point or another.

But one of the things that stuck with me the most was the phrase, "Expectations are the first step towards disappointment." We all have expectations - in things, in people, in our relationships, etc. - and when things don't go the way they're "supposed" to go, we get pissed off, upset, depressed. To this day, whenever I get frustrated, I remember one of the counselors there saying, over and over again, "Well, if you didn't EXPECT things to turn out a certain way, you might still be frustrated, but not AS frustrated. Don't expect... Accept." Sounds corny, but it works!

As cynical as I come across in text, in Real Life I'm an incredibly "sunny" person who merely has an affection for gallows humor. I've just learned to keep my expectations low, because that way, I'm constantly surprised rather than let down. It's difficult to rewire one's brain, though. Our entire culture is about "expectations". I mean, look at websites that talk about movies, for example, with all the "Ten Things To Expect From ____ Movie" lists, and so on, getting people excited about "possibilities" while setting people up for heartbreak when those things don't come true. But it isn't healthy. Especially in things we can't control.

I mean, I "expected" Darkseid in Justice League because I was flat-out f*cking told to expect Darkseid. And it was bullsh*t! Everything those trailers promised was a lie. Heartbreaking. So now, with any movie, I just wait and see for myself. Might be good, might be bad... I'll worry about it once I get there.
---------------

I also heard that the story about Todd Philips pitching all the villain origin movies to WB was a lie. So who knows? That's the thing, we don't "know" anything, and everything we hear contradicts the last thing we heard, so I just can't be bothered to even care, this early in the game. Every single article about "Joker 2" has been "Updated" a dozen times with, "This was reported false, oh wait, NOW it might be true, Variety says this, while the guy who cuts Phoenix's hair says this..." It's like... whatever, man, wake me up when it happens. Until then, all smoke.

Given all the "announcements" about WB DC movies in the last 5 years - I think, like, two of them turned out to be real? - it's very obvious to me that every few weeks, WB themselves "leaks" information just to see how we react to it. 99% of their promises don't come true. None of those movies is ever coming out (and stuff that does like "Birds of Prey" is looking pretty terrible). I will save every drop of energy and emotion for the day I'm actually in the theater. Until then... yawn.

I still read the "news" because I'm curious like everyone else, but as to actually caring... I'll care when there's something tangible to care about, y'know?

Old 05-29-2021, 02:27 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like it's happening.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/brief-j...eries-updates/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #50
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Barbra didn't want to do those films (except Funny Girl) early in her career but she had sgd a contract so.......Connery agreed to do 007 DAF if they also financed 2 other films which they did , Sean felt Cubby/Harry kinda cheated him and he wanted to be a 007 prod too
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #51
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Until an actual trailer comes out that convinces me otherwise, I kinda don't want or even need a sequel. Joker was perfect as a one in done. Not everything needs a sequel.

Like I just didn't see Arthur as a criminal mastermind. All of this weird **** just kinda happened to him... but it was still a great story and it was entertaining. It's basically a man who snapped and became similar to the Joker, but I don't see Arthur planning overcomplicated death traps, robbing banks and slicing his face off.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #52
AquaParade
Banned

Again, Ari Aster could direct the hell out of this. I'm dying to see what Todd Phillips will do, but mostly out of genuine curiosity. I'm not counting on him catching lightning in a bottle twice, if I'm honest, but I'll be there to see him try on day-1. Watch me change my tune as soon as the first trailer drops.

I'd be truly excited if they got Aster on board though. He has already directed some of the creepiest movies ever, and Joker deserves anything but a typical sequel. I'd love to see the sequel delve into the same territory as the recent A24 horror films. It has more in common with those than anything else, now that I think about it. They're often "horror" films, centered around characters and their psychosis, as well as family drama.

I'd want to see Aster bring just a hint, or a pinch of a supernatural element to the table. They've already provided the idea that Arthur is an unreliable narrator, so why not bring in a master of horror and suspense to take advantage of that fact? It even allows you to play with the Batman element without going overboard into that territory and becoming a Batman movie. Batman doesn't necessarily need to be real. Or at least proven to be real.

Another angle that I'd also be interested in would be seeing the sequel from another character's perspective. Wouldn't even mind if it was Jim Gordon tracking him down. Seeing the character from an outside point of view. It might be necessary with how batshit the ending to the first one is. Hardly anything makes sense when you think about it. There are gaping holes in Joker's story for sure.

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-29-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Title revealed:

https://www.ign.com/articles/joker-2...ource=facebook
Old 06-13-2022, 06:45 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn?

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/joker-...aquin-phoenix/
Old 06-13-2022, 06:57 PM   #55
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Already ruined.

That trailer BETTER be good.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:02 PM   #56
AquaParade
Banned

The idea of a sequel with Harley Quinn doesn't excite me, but after the first film, I'm still looking forward to whatever they do. Latest rumor is that it's part musical. Sounds about right, in the insane sort of way.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #57
Leo656
The Franchise

Well that all sounds f*cking horrible.

That'd be a great way to ensure I never see it, though. Both of those things. I don't really do musicals, and I absolutely f*cking loathe Gaga. She's ugly, and her entire gimmick worked better the first time around when it was called "Madonna's Entire Career".

More and more, it feels like WB wants to do everything possible to ensure that they NEVER get another dime outta me. The laser-focused precision with which they make decisions seemingly for no reason other than to aggravate Me, and Only Me, is really quite alarming.

I don't have Siri or any of that sh*t. So I have no idea how they keep finding out things I hate and making it a point to do exactly those things. It's creepy, man.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well, whatever they do with this, with or without Lady Gaga, it's still going to be more interesting than The Batman. Or The Batman 2.

I don't really have a problem with Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn. Maybe 10-15 years ago would be a little bit better... but she's kind of born to play that role. She can act and has well in the past. Plus this is made-up, nonsense Batman universe that doesn't matter, so who cares?
Old 06-13-2022, 08:20 PM   #59
AquaParade
Banned

The Batman 2 is going to kick ass. Stoked we are getting sequels to both of these. Couldn't be happier about it, personally. I do feel for everyone who can't get on with these versions but oh well.

I think both of those films are great with a lot of room for improvement. If they can both step up their game, it's going to make for an incredible year of comic films when they release.

Lmao, watch them cast Depp in one of these to make up for Fantastic Beasts. I don't really care either way but the thought is already cracking me up.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:29 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I do feel for everyone who can't get on with these versions but oh well.
Why?

Quote:
Lmao, watch them cast Depp in one of these to make up for Fantastic Beasts. I don't really care either way but the thought is already cracking me up.
Why would they feel the need to "make up" for anything? They don't want him in anything. Even vindicated he's too controversial now and would poison a movie's marketing campaign.