The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
Kevin Eastman's TMNT Artobigraphy

I have wanted to get this book for quite a while, I have checked the major book stores in my city but they have never had it. I dedcided to check Amazon, then I looked on Ebay and found it at a cheap price although the shipping was just as much as the actual book. Then I thought I would go to heavymetal.com and order it from there and did.

I have seen reviews and the book looks pretty interesting I am really excited to see all the old art different sketches and hear how the old comics came together more or less his whole perspective on it all.

Any who for any one who has the book can I get some of your opinions; and possibly tell me a little more about it? I kind of know what to expect but wouldnt mind hearing it from some fans. I am looking forward to getting it, its being sent with US Postal so shipping to Canada might take a while longer then going with Federal Express or something I know I had to wait a while to get some of my books from Mirage a couple years back.

Anyway thanks in advance it should be cool
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
This is a really cool book , dude. I got mine on ebay for about $23. Its a showcase of lots of art, unfinished art, never before printed art, and even tmnt 4 movie ideas, all with commentary by Kevin... it's definitely worth it. It's kind of like Blast From the Past in book form.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
Thats awesome, I love seeing all the stuff Peter post in "Blast from the past" I wish he would update it more... although he did recently so maybe he will continue
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,981
Yea I would definately recommend the book...that unpublisehd art is the coolest IMO...you can also order it through your local Books a Millio, Borders Books, or Barnes n Noble...thats what i did...standard cover price ususally but you might find a good deal....maybe even free shipping if your lucky!
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I was at a comic shop when the first turtles figures started comming out back in 2002 and they had it. I was going to get it to but it was 50 bucks! I should have gotten because like you said no one has it now. It's a really cool book and very big as well. I love the artwork too
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things
 
cowabunga14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,014
I got the Artobigraphy a couple of weeks ago at my local comic book store. I read the whole thing in like three days. I got it for 40 bucks and it was worth the money. I like drawings and the galleries are great too. Kevin's comments are really rad too. I also like the little final toned thumbnails where you can read some of the pages of a particular comic. The concept sketches for Casey Jones are intresting. I'll probably read it again durin' the summer.
__________________


How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
Nice, like I said I ordered it from Heavymetal.com I got it for $25.49 w/shipping which was pretty good. It will take 3-6 weeks for delivery though.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
azure turtle
Mango Lovin' Mutant
 
azure turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,453
I ordered mine from Mirage when it first came out. It's really awesome to see all of Kevin's unpublished sketches, including early drawings of Casey Jones. There's also a ton of pin-ups and convention exclusive sketches. Kevin's commentary is fun too, since he helps to set up the story behind some of the bigger works.
__________________
"God, I love being a turtle!"

Want to meet the only blue ninja turtle in existence? Come visit me at my Lair!
azure turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
Usagi'sChick
Foot Soldier
 
Usagi'sChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ny
Posts: 137
I got mine last year in San Diego and got it signed, its really cool. I'm sure you might have it by now, but its really cool to read the boring backround info, sketches, etc.

This brings up an interesting question, you mentioned you couldn't find it at a book store, that's not surprising, but with the new TMNT toon and now the new CGI movie in production, I would hope to see general (book stores, etc) markets to start promoting TMNT more.

I'm a little upset with Wizard, I mean if it werent for the Turtles, we would not see a lot of comics we see today. And not nearly as much small press/creator owned titles. Besides Cerebus, there wasn't many self-published titles from the 80's (or 70's) that made it. I would question if Usagi Yojimbo would be around? Plus countless newer titles.

So lets show the TMNT a little spotlight already!

(oops, so I rambled a little off topic)
__________________
"I bet he never has to look for a can opener!"
Usagi'sChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:45 AM   #10
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
I got it early last week I believe, it was good I kind of would like to hear some stuff a little more in depth although I do want to see the art which there was a lot of as well as page layouts and inks vs pencils etc. It was quite good, I would love to see him do an issue of Tales or something but it would probably never happen.

It seems he was a huge part of the Eastman and Laird comics more so then I thought he basically crafted almost each page by doing the majority of the layouts himself and then sharing the responsibility of penciling and inking. The way I saw it was more or less his vision of how the book would look, I am sure him and Laird would talk about what looks better and how to improve or what to take out etc; but those early issues were his layouts.. Although I believe Mr. Laird did issue 2 which had a little bit different layouts then the rest, not saying its bad or anything I love all those early issues.

Bah anywho enough rambling I just got off a 10.5 hr night shift of some hard labour but the weekend is here and I get 3 days off

On another note I get to pick up Tales #11 today and pickup a new speaker for my home theater system.

I did enjoy the book quite a bit I think Laird must have been loving the Space Turtles and drawing robots Triceriton etc he seems to love that stuff and even taught Kevin a thing or two about drawing Robots and Machines. The exoskelliton was a nice design by laird to I love the cover of #4.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #11
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure turtle
I ordered mine from Mirage when it first came out. It's really awesome to see all of Kevin's unpublished sketches, including early drawings of Casey Jones. There's also a ton of pin-ups and convention exclusive sketches. Kevin's commentary is fun too, since he helps to set up the story behind some of the bigger works.
I also got mine from Mirage in 2002. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was so excitred to read it when I got home, I could barley concentrate getting the padlock on my front door to open.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.