The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!
 
Mr. Snackpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 2,239
TMNT comics

If I were to start collecting comics, which should I buy? Aren;t the Mirage ones the originals and better ones? If someone could help thatd be great. And if someone has a link to a list of all the comics that'd help to. Thanks.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 09:12 PM   #2
Apple Cat
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 528
---delete this

Last edited by Apple Cat; 10-19-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Apple Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 05:16 AM   #3
Shellfox
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,234
What you want to get is relitive to who you are
M- Good stories, but the art can be a turn off
A- Loosly based off the toon, but with more adult overtones, and better art work
I- No rules, guys go in, and get put through a meat grinder
Shellfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 06:18 AM   #4
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
If you want the best stories and more mature TMNT go with Mirage. It'd the original Form of TMNT and the best too. It's true that all don't like the black & white style. If you like Goofy TMNT, this one is probably not for you.

Archie is for the younger audience, but it's much better than the cartoon. In the later issues the artwork gets pretty good.

Image... Well I can't say I like it. I have read only one issue but I have heard that the rest goes with the same line. The TMNT gets mutilated a lot, and Splinter turns into a bat...
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 07:54 AM   #5
Sparvid
Stone Warrior
 
Sparvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ă–stersund, Sweden
Posts: 860
Re: TMNT comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead13
If I were to start collecting comics, which should I buy?
My advice would be The Collected Books 1 and 4.
Quote:
Aren;t the Mirage ones the originals and better ones?
Correct
Sparvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:24 AM   #6
Greed
Stone Warrior
 
Greed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago, ILL
Posts: 931
Get Mirage and Archie that way you can't lose don't get Image it sucks
__________________

Why? Because they're blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

(Formerly known as Slash89, go ahead think back you know me.)
Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 09:15 AM   #7
MzTheInsomniac
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Daaaaaaayton O hi O
Posts: 680
no offense BUT GO MARVEL even though its not the TMNT
__________________
www.wheeljack.com
BEETCH GO THERE!!!!
MzTheInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:05 AM   #8
Aztec General
Mad Scientist
 
Aztec General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,437
Mirage is really the way to go. It has deep storylines that cover mature subjects and are filled with action and drama. Check out the Collected books 1-4 which are issues #1-21, Tales of the TMNT, Veitch's Old Man River which I believe is 24-6, 28 (very sad), 48-62 (City At War). Then Vol. 2 #1-13 and Vol. 4 #1-7 (ongoing). Also be certain to check out Michael Zulli's 3 parter mid-30s issues, it's amazing but not part of TMNT canon.

Many of the events in the Archie series are bizarre or fairly uninspired: a dimensional transporting cow head, a cowboy, mutant animal/men galore, and Shredder is almost non-existent as a villian. Although there were some good stories, and some of the later issues (which I don't have) looked interesting. Overall I would not suggest collecting this series. Speaking of which one of these days I'm going to sell my issues...

As for Image Shellfox put it best the TMNT go through the meat grinder. The idea as Rapheal moonlighting as Shredder was cool, but otherwise the series seemed to serve only as a vehicle to disfigure the turtles. It's hard to believe that Erik Larsen still defends the series to this day.
__________________
Aztec General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:40 PM   #9
PWDESAI
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,873
i was thinking of scanning in the first comics collected series, cuz it has color, has anyone scanned that in yet?
PWDESAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:40 PM   #10
xZAOx
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: TN
Posts: 842
if we had to pick sides, id pick erik's. at first, i was like...man, those are gonna suck. but i got a few, and they really get ya hooked. i dont think he meant the mutilations to be the big focus, but more as ways to get the turtles to face different challenges. there were some awesome storylines, that i really enjoyed. its a shame it ended when it did! there was a LOT left to tell. you can definately see the series wasnt done with what they wanted, there was a lot of unanswered questions...not to mention, mikey wasnt deformed yet, haha =)

as for my opinion on the original mirage series, its a potluck. i liked the first 3 or 4. im not to big on the whole space thing though, but they are definately worth reading at least once. the river story, and mike zullis story (and especially his art!) are outstanding. i wanna see mike do a whole series =). the city at war (50-62) is great, as are the rest of the 40s. the return to new york (19-21 i think) stuff is great, alot of it was used in the first movie, and is i think the best lawson art. the tales of the tmnt are good stuffs too.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:48 PM   #11
Aztec General
Mad Scientist
 
Aztec General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,437
I forgot to mention each individual Turtle's one shot. Those were great especially Leo and Raph's (both of which appeared in the first movie in some form), also Don's will be an episode in the new cartoon.
Also here's to hoping Dreamwave provides some great new material.
__________________
Aztec General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:45 PM   #12
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
I heard that the new comic won't necessarily be a children's version of TMNT like archie, it could become another universe like Ultimate Spider-Man. I really hope that would happen. I read both Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man and I think that if they would do something like that with TMNT, it would be cool.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:53 PM   #13
Aztec General
Mad Scientist
 
Aztec General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpo_007
I heard that the new comic won't necessarily be a children's version of TMNT like archie, it could become another universe like Ultimate Spider-Man. I really hope that would happen. I read both Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man and I think that if they would do something like that with TMNT, it would be cool.
Sounds good. If it's anything like the Transformers comics I've seen from Dreamwave then I'm game.
__________________
Aztec General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 03:20 PM   #14
ChibiKasai
Foot Soldier
 
ChibiKasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 126
According to the January 2003 issue of Wizard, the TMNT series coming from Dreamwave will be based on the cartoon, and aimed at a younger audience. Suppossedly it'll start with a 5 issue limited series written by Peter David, and drawn by Pat Lee.

IMO, this is certain to ROCK.
Pat Lee is one of the best artists out there. His Transformers are awesome, and I'm sure his Turtles will be too.
And Peter David is one of my favorite authors. I love his work on Captain Marvel...some moments made me laugh out loud, others made me hold back tears...just great stuff. And he knows how to write teens: Just look at Young Justice and SpyBoy.

I think the TMNT are good hands.
__________________
Have no fear of perfection- you'll never reach it.
Salvador Dali
www.kishiadesign.com
ChibiKasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 03:30 PM   #15
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
Oh... well thats kind of disapointment. Well if it's based on the cartoon, Im not sure if there is enough reason to start buing it.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 04:57 PM   #16
Greed
Stone Warrior
 
Greed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago, ILL
Posts: 931
Just hope they'll do what they did with Transformers Armada for TMNT
__________________

Why? Because they're blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

(Formerly known as Slash89, go ahead think back you know me.)
Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.