The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 01:38 PM   #1
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
How to draw TMNT?

I really like drawing, but I can't quite draw the ninja turtles right..I've tried and tried, and no luck..Even trying to copy Official Pictures hasn't work..does anyone know of a guide that can help me draw them? I'm not very good at muscles and such..
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 01:40 PM   #2
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist
 
Anarchistguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Posts: 2,137
There's just a book that teaches you how to draw the TMNT . I can send you
some scans if you like
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 01:45 PM   #3
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
Oh could you? But through what? E-Mail, AIM, or something else?
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
ChibiKasai
Foot Soldier
 
ChibiKasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 126
Re: How to draw TMNT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Ill
I really like drawing, but I can't quite draw the ninja turtles right..I've tried and tried, and no luck..Even trying to copy Official Pictures hasn't work..does anyone know of a guide that can help me draw them? I'm not very good at muscles and such..
I have no guides ... but if you're really serious about drawing, it wouldn't hurt to pick up an anatomy book. They're really useful when it comes to drawing muscles.
Best advice though: Practice, practice, practice. I mostly learned from drawing pics straight out of comics when I was younger. Eventually, I kinda memorized the shapes of the body and faces and such, up until the point where I could draw a person or Turtle without looking at anything.
Good Luck!
__________________
Have no fear of perfection- you'll never reach it.
Salvador Dali
www.kishiadesign.com
ChibiKasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
Yeah, I saw your work, ChibiKasai. I'm jealous
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:46 PM   #6
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist
 
Anarchistguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Posts: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Ill
Oh could you? But through what? E-Mail, AIM, or something else?
How 'bout IRC?
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:02 PM   #7
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
Mine is kind of screwed..I'll talk to you about it on AIM or something..My AIM name is DeadSix88.
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:53 PM   #8
Nickokapo
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Argentina
Posts: 5,800
Anarchistguy, could i have those scans when you're done sending it to stone ill? 'cause i had no idea a book like that existed, and it'd be very helpful since i like to draw
O and stone ill...if you wanna get better then draw and draw and draw...practice a lot that's what most artist says when asked how to draw that good, and i agree since practice seems to be the most effective method
I'm years away from being a good artist tho i'm usually too lazy to draw so much.
__________________
Nickokapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
Yeah, but I haven't seen too many good Ninja Turtle pictures to really "feel" what they look like..I was trying some sketches, but they were horrible..I still haven't got them scans He hasn't replied if he could do it on AIM or not.
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:27 AM   #10
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator
 
HorseTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,677
Wow... they had a book too? Hrmm. Well, this was how I figured out how to draw TMNT. I learned from looking at the TMNT comics I have. Of course, you have to have a fav artist to really get a feel of how you want to draw. Laird and Eastman have their own style, then there's Lawson, AC Farley, Dooney, Berger, and Stan Sakai. Usaully Lawson and Berger have the best styles.

But since the TMNT don't wear clothes, the best way to study muscle anatomy is to study WWF wrestlers and half-nekkid body builders. They have the same muslce mass as the TMNT.

For the TMNT specific things, go back to looking at the comics, movies or cartoons. Or other peoples art examples. Once the basic form of the body is sketched out, just draw a rectangle over the chest, that tapers out over the crotch. You can make the corners round or square, and you can have the sides attach to the back shell or not.

The way the shins and the feet look is another detail to notice, then learning how to draw the hands open and in closed fist form is another. Fortuantely, the fact they just have two fingers makes it easier. The face is easy to draw.. but getting the expressions down are another. I like to play around... perhaps look at more examples in comics and toons to get an idea. Hope this helps too!
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 02:57 PM   #11
cable04
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 32
i just made a new way to draw them yesterday

it is difficult to draw the TMNT because they have different styles to choose from
i choose my own.
i tried to make them look more muscular, though, and now i have good design
i'll post some of mine some time

the best advice i can give you is to make your own style

also, probably the most important muscles to be drawn are the ones on the sides of their necks, so the guy starts out with some form, the biceps, the pecs, and the calve muscles
[too bad i don't know real names for half of those]
__________________
can't wait 'til february 8th
cable04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:42 PM   #12
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School
 
Voltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Realm of SJW
Posts: 4,642
Shuzuh?

Yo, if you want to learn how to draw well, you must understand that every artist you ever meet, no matter how good or bad, has something to offer. Take bits and peices from different people you meet along the way. I wouldn't recommend buying books because they never go into any depth. Just draw alot, Practice practice practice! Seriously, I doodle 24/7. When I heard the new TMNT series was coming out, I spent days preparing for it mind and body, and I also tried my hand at some Turtles as well. I put them up at the Fan works section, but since I'm a shameless self-promoter....
http://geocities.com/sulfyde/Leo.html
http://geocities.com/sulfyde/Don.html
They aren't phenomenal, but I like to do crappy sketches. And if you go to tutorial websites and they give all this crap about how you have to have all different sorts of lead and markers and computer programs, don't believe them. I did that stuff with a Mech pencil, felt tipped pen, ruler, and a marker. Now thats crap you find layin around your house. There are basic fundamentals to drawing that you should become familiar with. I'll tell you someother time, I've blabbed enough. Tell me what you think of the pics though, got nothing but positive remarks so far. (The Leo is a little sloppy, I'll clean him up a bit after awhile)
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 04:25 PM   #13
Tinselcat
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: uuuuh... off planet.
Posts: 1,190
I'd like to offer a tip that i think is pretty universal across all tmnt artists: the turtles are very sectional. this isn't just limited to their shells and plastrons: their muscles are always very defined, which makes knowedge of human anatomy useful, but you'll see a lot of art where a turtle is composed of many individual sections.
__________________
Tinselcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.