The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Prowl
Foot Soldier
 
Prowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 191
What happened to the creators of the first film?

Ok, I know I am asking a lot of questions, but this is the first time I have encountered this many turtle fans, so these discussions have been mute for me for the last 10 years.

The first turtle movie, IMO, was fabulous. Just dark enough, funny enough, and dirty enough to warrant a comic fan's attention. Then the second one came out and made a mockery of what the comic book had established in my mind. The 3rd one was decent in that it had a darker attitude, but it never compared to the noir feel that the first one captured. It was evident that Turtles 1 was an independent movie, and the other ones were tainted by Hollywood hands.

So does anyone know why the movie was taken from the creators of the original?

For me, and I do speak only for myself... (as I don't know what the whole turtle populace thinks of the movies), I think turtles left my mind after the second movie. It was then that I realized that I was never going to see them on the screen the way I had always hoped (and somewhat got with the first movies). The turtles belonged to kids younger than myself, not the comic fans anymore.
__________________
"You can run but you can't hide!"
Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
Sparvid
Stone Warrior
 
Sparvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ă–stersund, Sweden
Posts: 860
Re: What happened to the creators of the first film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl
So does anyone know why the movie was taken from the creators of the original?
I would say that evil parents was the cause...
Sparvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #3
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
One answer to you question: The parents. The TMNT cartoon was the thing that most people knew the TMNT from. They had never even heard of the True TMNT created by Eastman and Laird. When the First movie came out, Parents were waiting something goofy like the cartoon. So they were shocked: It was dark and it had action. Even violence.

So they complained, sent letters the whole works. As a Result, the TMNT II: Secret of ooze was made as goofy children' movie. They took the TMNT's weapons away, and the fight scenes turned into a circus act[Super Shredder!]. So thats the story. Hopefully that doesn't happen to TMNT again.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
Prowl
Foot Soldier
 
Prowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 191
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Well it's another time, and with Dragon Ball Z and Justice League (the latter dealing with very adult themes), my hope is great (the only fear being FOX). I was a big fan of the Beast Wars show, and cartoon network aired the finale of the second season, and in it a robot gets cut in half (not too bad since it's a robot), but FOX edit that scene out.

On the other hand, WB aired Batman and Batman Beyond, both very dark cartoon, which also dealt with the theme of death, so I have hope.

On the other hand, the FoxBox is filled with nothing but Pokemonesce goofy cartoons, so we'll just have to wait and see.
__________________
"You can run but you can't hide!"
Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
Well I hope that wont be the case this time.
But we'l have to wait and see how the things turn out. It would be a total shame if the show would get edited...
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Nickokapo
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Argentina
Posts: 5,800
Ok, first of all, dragon ball is badly cut and edited, and is not nearly as good as the original japanese version (i'm talking about the north american dub here).
As for batman, yeah it might be 'dark and gritty' and stuff, but i gotta remind you the batman beyond movie was also cut in some violent parts when it was aired in tv, later to be released on dvd, cut, and again uncut.
So yeah, censoring is not as bad as some years ago, and the new turtles toon will be violent and whatnot, but don't expect to see anything over the top, since you wont
__________________
Nickokapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:40 PM   #7
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
Well all sort cencorin is stupid, I just hope they won't go overboard with it.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Lets face it people, this show is going to be geared towards kids who were the same age we were when the first show came out. As much as I'd love to see Shredder get blown up or decapitated, it's probably not going to happen any time soon.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #9
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
The world has changed since then, and judging from the info we have been given, the show will have action. Of course nothing really violent, but then again, the comic wasn't ultra violent either.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
SlayerX
Stone Warrior
 
SlayerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 828
I was just wonderin where you live? I dont really see the unedited cartoon compared to the edited one so i dont have any idea you are talking about.
ok you will all think i am retarded but i HAVE to tell someone this...

ok

I was watching Boy Meets World, the episode where Eric has that girl as his tutor, and they were talking and in the background there was a sign that said:

SEX
ED

then it changed to:

SEX,
ED?

then back to

SEX
ED

then back once more then it was in a different scene, lol i just wanted to tell someone that! ^_^ (Totally off topic )
SlayerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:13 PM   #11
Nickokapo
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Argentina
Posts: 5,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEFreakazoid
I was just wonderin where you live? I dont really see the unedited cartoon compared to the edited one so i dont have any idea you are talking about.
ok you will all think i am retarded but i HAVE to tell someone this...
I live in argentina, here anime is usually uncut and there is little or no script editing.
It's just translated, period, background music stays the same, script stays the same.
Of course, some stations decide to edit anime here and there if there's nudity or TOO much violence, but it's not so common, and they take it easy compared to the northamerica version.
And it's not always like that, it depends on the station, by example there's a station called locomotion ( www.locomotion.com ) and it sometimes even airs mildly hentai titles like Aika, but at night of course...and that station never cuts anything.
If you still would like to check out differences between some animes that were edited for america i'd recommend you to go to www.smuncensored.com and http://dbzuncensored.dbzoa.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEFreakazoid
ok

I was watching Boy Meets World, the episode where Eric has that girl as his tutor, and they were talking and in the background there was a sign that said:

SEX
ED

then it changed to:

SEX,
ED?

then back to

SEX
ED

then back once more then it was in a different scene, lol i just wanted to tell someone that! ^_^ (Totally off topic )
Um...'kay!
__________________
Nickokapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:57 PM   #12
Prowl
Foot Soldier
 
Prowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 191
First of all I don't watch dragon ball Z. Honestly I think that show is no better than Wrestling. But it has quite a bit of contact for a kid's show. So while I am basing my opinion on an otherwise edited show (one that I don't watch or care slightly for), then DBZ and batman beyond (I own the unedited movie) is still dark enough to make me happy. I would love to see an exact replica of the level of violence in the comic, but I would settle for a justice league caliber.

edit: Beast Wars was a kid's show, and while the characters were robots, it was very clear that they had personalities and felt pain, and the show killed off many characters throughout its 4 seasons. That's where I set my standards, and I hope turtles can at least take it up a notch from the old show. Cartoon network edits their shows, but not nearly as much as FOX, and even then they tend to keep some of the grittier stuff in the evening slots, so unedited versions of Cowboy Beebop can air in adult swim.
__________________
"You can run but you can't hide!"
Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:06 PM   #13
Reznorite420
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,851
That does it:

I'm getting really sick and tired of all these TMNT "comic loyalists" bashing the original cartoon with utter hatred (no names given, just a rant). You people must understand that there were people roughly my age (which includes NTCF) that grew up with the original cartoon. And, in case you didn't notice, this site is called THE TECHNODROME after all, run by two guys with usernames Krang and Shredder. If you don't like the cartoon that much, well...why are you posting at a forum where the site's title involves the original cartoon?

To clear things up: I am NOT saying that the comic was any bad at all. In fact, I rather enjoy the comic just as much as the loyalists, though I'm not a total fan of them. I know the cartoon more, so that's where I get my love of TMNT from. Thank you.

If you ask me, I say a TRUE TMNT fan is not one who likes the comic ONLY, nor one that likes the cartoon ONLY, but rather has a total obsession (IE, wishes to sleep with April O'Neil) for both the comic and cartoon equally. I'm definitely not one of them. You might be able to count the number of fans like that on both your hands...

Oh yeah, back to the topic at hand. Prowl, if it makes you feel any better, I've said on the boards one time (before you joined, I think) that my parents were 2 of the very few that had no problems with me and sister seeing it at our age (then she was 7, I was 5). Unlike most parents then, they actually noticed the PG rating and could tell from the TV spots that it was NOT going to reflect the material in the cartoon...they let us see it anyway (as long as they were in the theater with us). Not only that, but I was not at all disappointed or confused with that fact. All of my friends were, but not I! I literally started dancing in happiness walking out of the theater.

I guess that only proves your point...
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #14
Prowl
Foot Soldier
 
Prowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 191
Hey, chill dude, as one would say. I did state that I enjoyed them when I was younger, but just as you enjoyed the cartoon more than the comic, I enjoyed the comics more so.

And I don't think anyone can place judgement on a turtle fan based on what they like or don't like (after all the comic came first, and did not have anything to do with pizza, so one could easily say that I am a fan of the original intention of the artist), but I own the old videos to Heros in a Half Shell and the Shredder is Splinted. But I doubt the Technodrome.com on the title of this website deems fans of the comics void from the premises.

Let me put it this way. I was about 13 or 14 when the cartoon were out, and even then I wanted to see my heros in a half shell kick more ass. That hasn't changed, and I'm still around. I'd say I'm a pretty decent fan. (I got the third movie on DVD for Xmas this year) The THIRD movie LOL

I just want to have my moment. I want to see that rumored Jon Woo movie where the turtles are constantly in shadow and are tulry 4 feet high and jump from roof top to roof top with the moon high in the sky. The kiddies (including myself) had our moment in the early nighties, now I want to see the turtles I always wanted to see.

Oh and Rez....heh, speaking of stories surrounding the first movie. I was sent home from school the day before the movie came out for drawing an entire turtle battle on my desk-top with a pencil.
__________________
"You can run but you can't hide!"
Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #15
Aztec General
Mad Scientist
 
Aztec General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
That does it:

I'm getting really sick and tired of all these TMNT "comic loyalists" bashing the original cartoon with utter hatred (no names given, just a rant). You people must understand that there were people roughly my age (which includes NTCF) that grew up with the original cartoon. And, in case you didn't notice, this site is called THE TECHNODROME after all, run by two guys with usernames Krang and Shredder. If you don't like the cartoon that much, well...why are you posting at a forum where the site's title involves the original cartoon?

To clear things up: I am NOT saying that the comic was any bad at all. In fact, I rather enjoy the comic just as much as the loyalists, though I'm not a total fan of them. I know the cartoon more, so that's where I get my love of TMNT from. Thank you.

If you ask me, I say a TRUE TMNT fan is not one who likes the comic ONLY, nor one that likes the cartoon ONLY, but rather has a total obsession (IE, wishes to sleep with April O'Neil) for both the comic and cartoon equally. I'm definitely not one of them. You might be able to count the number of fans like that on both your hands...

Oh yeah, back to the topic at hand. Prowl, if it makes you feel any better, I've said on the boards one time (before you joined, I think) that my parents were 2 of the very few that had no problems with me and sister seeing it at our age (then she was 7, I was 5). Unlike most parents then, they actually noticed the PG rating and could tell from the TV spots that it was NOT going to reflect the material in the cartoon...they let us see it anyway (as long as they were in the theater with us). Not only that, but I was not at all disappointed or confused with that fact. All of my friends were, but not I! I literally started dancing in happiness walking out of the theater.

I guess that only proves your point...
Why do Mirage fans post on this board? Because it's the best TMNT board on the internet by far.

As for the original cartoon, I'll repeat what I've said 100 times already. It was a goofy cartoon for kids. It did not reflect the serious and action filled comic book characters created by Eastman and Laird. To put it bluntly, it was a goofy show for children. By today's standards it is just plain AWFUL! It had almost no action, was filled with corny jokes and pizza references, and had no story or character development. If this is the kind of show that you like then fine, but this is not what I like. Did I like it when I was a kid before I read the comics? Yes, of course. But after reading the comics and growing older there is no comparison as to which is better.

If the old show were released today it would probably bomb. With shows like Batman, Justice Leauge, etc. around, a bunch of goofy pizza eaters would be considered garbage. This would especially be the case with the growing number of teenage/young adult fans.

In conclusion, we are getting a show with action, character development, an in depth story, and of course our favorite characters. This should be considered good news to a TMNT fan.
__________________
Aztec General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #16
Prowl
Foot Soldier
 
Prowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 191
I'll say it's good news. When I read the synopsis this week, I screamed aloud and my wife thought I was dying (not really but close). I pulled out all my comics and showed her the similarities. To tell you the truth, I was really saddened by the news that Rainbow studios wasn't doing the show because I loved what they did with Starship Troopers Roughnecks, and I would have loved to see it, but after seeing the images on the official website, I felt much better.
__________________
"You can run but you can't hide!"
Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #17
SlayerX
Stone Warrior
 
SlayerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 828
uhh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
That does it:


(IE, wishes to sleep with April O'Neil)
LMFAO! I don't tend to usually go around saying that I want to sleep with a CARTOON character...
SlayerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:58 AM   #18
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
Here we go again... Well this is NOT the First time Rez decides to make a post like that. And Mirage is the true TMNT universe. Why? Because you can say that Tolkien's LOTR books are true universe, not Peter Jackson's movies.

Still I haven't said a one bad word about the cartoon, that isn't true. I have said it is goofy, and it is for children. You can yell all you want, but nothing is going to change that. Nor the fact they used same story a million times. The show was good for kids the, and kids today would probably like it.

And then, We comic fans shouldn't post here? This just shows how immature you really are, 18 or not. Like I said, I haven't said anything about the cartoon that wasn't true. So cool it off.

And people, we shouldn't get upset because his post or start a war. It realy isn't the first time he makes a post like that.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:31 AM   #19
raphael90
Stone Warrior
 
raphael90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ...down in the sewer listening to Skinny Puppy...
Posts: 618
cartoon

So long as I don't like this new cartoon, I will always prefer the first cartoon from my childhood!
__________________

"Babies? These things haven't even been BORN yet!"


-Raphael
raphael90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #20
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
Not one episode have aired, and you say you don't like it...
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.