The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
triplexxx
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,809
Similarities or Differences?

Just a thought that came to me, do you like the turtles more for their similarities or their differences?
*Their similariites being how they're all expert ninjas, honorable/noble and dedicated to protecting their family and innocent people, that they accomplished the same thing the Ninja Tribunal did, that they all like pizza, that they're all muscular/energetic teenagers, etc...
*Their differences being...well, you pretty much know.

Both serve a purpose: their differences add variety and spice to the shows, movies, etc.; and their similarities retain a positive mood in the shows, movies, etc.

Which do you personally like about them better? I think I know what many will say, but just for the heck of it. Personally, I like them more for their similarities because I'm optimistic and enjoy the positive things in life.
__________________
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges

Last edited by triplexxx; 05-31-2007 at 01:14 AM.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Courk
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 321
Even the things you mention as similarities they express in different ways. For example, "dedicated to protecting their family" -- from what I've seen of 2k3, Leo does this by being cautious and doing his best to not lead them directly into danger for no reason. Raph, however, does this by protecting his family during fights. He almost always seems to be the one jumping in to block a blow intended for one of his brothers.

Given that, though, I think I like their similarities more, even if they have different approaches. However, part of the reason I like their similarities is because of their differences. Going back to Raph being the one to rescue his brothers: It could just as easily be Don or Mikey jumping to everyone's defense, but the fact that it's Raph, the one who is more of a loner anyway, makes it more meaningful. Yes, he prefers to spend a good portion of time away from them, but he'll do anything to make sure they get to stay together.
Courk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I like their common goal and their being a family.

Otherwise, I like their unique individuality more. I just cannot stand it when there's groupthink and people act like clones of each other.

Besides, typing them is more fun when they are so different.
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
I have to say I like their differences beetter. It is what makes them unique as Scandia mentioned. If they were all the same, there wouldn't be the conflict and strife. I know it's been said before, but the four of them are four main charasteristics of teenagers: anger, leadership, intelligence, youthfulness... or something like that lol
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Revan
Han Shot First
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paper Street Soap Company
Posts: 3,687
Not sure I like the question since their similarities and their differences are both so lovable. I'll sit on the fence for my cop out.

I love how they share a similar love for each other. I also think it's great that they all have similar feelings toward humans and how they feel an obligation to do the right thing for honor.

The difference are so great though. Everything from physical differences to emtional differences to mental capacity differences.
Love their different shades of green
Love their different colored bandanas
Love their different heights
Love their different turtlealities
Love how each turtle has his own niche in the group
__________________
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Courk
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 321
They have different heights? What incarnations show that? Or am I just terribly unobservant and they've always been different heights?
Courk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courk View Post
They have different heights? What incarnations show that? Or am I just terribly unobservant and they've always been different heights?
We had a big height discussion in the "Raphael - turtle of a thousand faces" thread.

According to Eastman and Laird back in the day before the turtles took off on the screen, it went (tallest to shortest) Don, Leo, Mike, Raph, but in the new film it is Leo, Don, and then we couldn't agree on who was taller, Mike or Raph, but one of those two are the shortest (my vote was Raph but there were not enough instancess of them standing next to each other to judge properly). Of course, this is really varied in the old movie universe due to the heights of actors in the suits, and in the cartoons I think they are all the same.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Revan
Han Shot First
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paper Street Soap Company
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courk View Post
They have different heights? What incarnations show that? Or am I just terribly unobservant and they've always been different heights?
Different universes show emply different heights.

FF raph is tallest
2007 Leo is tallest
Mirage Don is tallest
__________________
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Courk
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 321
Don being the tallest seems appropriate to me, though that may be influenced in some strange way by the fact that his weapon is the longest.

Raph being the shortest also makes sense. His character reminds me a bit of Wolverine, who's also on the short side.

I'll have to wander over to the Raphael thread.
Courk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
We had a big height discussion in the "Raphael - turtle of a thousand faces" thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courk View Post
I'll have to wander over to the Raphael thread.
I'm sorry, Courk I was a massive muppet. It wasn't the Raphael thread at all, it was the 'Turtle design' thread. Sorry if you spent ages looking for something that wasn't there. I have slapped myself on the wrist for you!
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #11
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!
 
Buslady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In 7803...
Posts: 4,366
I love them cos they're different; but inside they're the same as us. Intelligent, feeling beings with souls, conscienceness, spirits, whatever you wanna call it. They're human inside, mutant outside.
__________________
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
Courk
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 321
No worries, I haven't wandered yet.
Courk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.