The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
triplexxx
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,809
Bushido

I know I've brought this up before, but I'm just curious to know from others who haven't been in previous discussions, what version of Bushido would you say the turtles follow? I believe it to be "Modern Bushido":
The warrior protects and defends because he realizes the value of others. He knows that they are essential to society and, in his gift of service, recognizes and values theirs... take the extra moment in dark parking lots at night to make sure that a woman gets into her car safely before leaving yourself. Daily involvement in acts such as these are as much a part of training as time spent in the dojo, and indeed should be the reason for that time spent training... When faced with a woman or child in a situation in which they are vulnerable, there are two types of men: those who would offer succor and aid, and those who would prey upon them. And in modern society, there is another loathsome breed who would totally ignore their plight!

Because this basically summarizes everything the turtles are about, being the men who "offer succor and aid" to the society of NYC. Basically Bushido is "the stressing of frugality, loyalty, martial arts mastery, and honor unto death", and that's how the turtles live and what they are: honorable martial arts masters with loyalty to their father and innocent people, who's efforts reap frugality for the innocent society they defend.
__________________
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
That's cool, it had always bothered me a bit how the NINJA Turles of the NT were about Bushido (a Samurai thing).
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Raven
follower of Jesus
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,212
I dont know anything about Bushido, so thank you for posting this. From what you have put up I would say that seems most likely what they would be, but I could not say for sure.

Interesting though.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
syd
Stone Warrior
 
syd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 596
YES!THEY ARE THE BEST!

*belly slicingggggggggg*
__________________

"Never mind! I just broke out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
glad to have you back.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
YES!THEY ARE THE BEST!

*belly slicingggggggggg*
Excuse me?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
That's cool, it had always bothered me a bit how the NINJA Turles of the NT were about Bushido (a Samurai thing).
Maybe Splinter liked to pick and choose from ninja and samurai teachings.

They wouldn't be quite as heroic if they were pure ninja, since wouldn't they end up just being assassins?
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Pretty good point, that I'm surprised has'nt crossed my mind before. I like them as ninja, but I think you might be right. Are ninja more then just pure assassins?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
Donnieee
Foot Soldier
 
Donnieee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 110
I think that you are right. This thing about the martial arts does impress me. When I was younger I thought that martial arts where only fighting but now I know that there is so much more into it. The whole thinking thing seems to be very important and that is what impress me so much.

I planing to start training some bushido or karate. It shall be great!!!
__________________
Nighty night dragon boy

Do not forget to read my blog. You will not regret it..
Donnieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Wanda
Thug
 
Wanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieee View Post
I planing to start training some bushido


Planning to train some codes of samurai behaviour? For what?

Ninjaedit: Learning bushido is interesting and inspirational, and as far as I'm concerned karate is pretty much bushido when it comes to ethic and moral -stuff. It's just that I've never heard anybody being interested only in bushido, not the ass-kicking -part


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man View Post
They wouldn't be quite as heroic if they were pure ninja, since wouldn't they end up just being assassins?
But it would be so much more exciting and "multilevelled" if the "heros" weren't so pure and saint-like with decent ethics and moral codes.

I've never understood why the bushido-thingies were mixed up with ninja-thingies.
__________________

*
Hey, filthy king won't you give me a dream!*

***

"The true art of the ninja: hit and run.
(That is why some ninja(s) are often confused with drunk drivers.)"


The Origin of the Ninja

Last edited by Wanda; 12-29-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
syd
Stone Warrior
 
syd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Excuse me?
did i mis translated it again?ox0
*hara kiri*
__________________

"Never mind! I just broke out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
glad to have you back.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
did i mis translated it again?ox0
*hara kiri*
well... it was all english, it just came off as eccentrically random.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
syd
Stone Warrior
 
syd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 596
alright,alright...
__________________

"Never mind! I just broke out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
glad to have you back.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #13
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
But it would be so much more exciting and "multilevelled" if the "heros" weren't so pure and saint-like with decent ethics and moral codes.
Eh, we get enough of that in comics today as it is, to the point where it almost became the cliche in the 90's.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #14
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda
But it would be so much more exciting and "multilevelled" if the "heros" weren't so pure and saint-like with decent ethics and moral codes.

Eh, we get enough of that in comics today as it is, to the point where it almost became the cliche in the 90's.
Yeah, I agree. The Turtles would seem more like the Punisher or Spawn if they were closer to moral-less assassins. I like the idea of the Turtles following an ancient code of ethics, you don't get many heroes like that nowadays.
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
TheAnimatedSeries
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 158
For more on the subject please rent Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai featuring music by the GZA.
__________________
...but thats just one black mans opinion.
Whats yours?





Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III is better than SOTO and the 2007 movie. You would know that if you were a gangster.
TheAnimatedSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #16
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior
 
Lord Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 698
I wouldn't say they practiced a specific form of Bushido. More likely they have a way of their own that incorporates what they feel are the best points of Bushido and Ninpo. Eh, who can say? Look at all the cross training and such in todays modern Martial practices. In a way, it makes since, as regardless of philosphy, the arts use more or less the same weaponry(Hands, Feet, knees,elbows,ect.)and the same angles of attack.
But if they did, I agree that it would be a form or variation of
"Modern Bushido".
Very cool thread man! I like it.

http://www.ninjutsu.com/home.shtml

http://www.ninjutsu.de/erlangen/ninp...sh/ewhatis.htm

http://www.bnyd.com/blog.html

http://kogaryuninjutsuint.blogspot.com/

http://www.wle.com/

http://www.turtlepress.com/
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.