The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2002, 12:48 PM   #1
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
To all fan fic writers! These are the REAL rules you should write by! Just thought you might enjoy these.

HOW TO WRITE FANFICTION (sic)
1. Don't let those pesky considerations of how the characters might *really* behave worry you. After all, it's *your* fanfiction, isn't it?
2. They say you should write what you know, so you should always add in at least one character who is heavily based upon yourself, only better, and who bears a name very similar to your own. This person should become the love interest of your favorite character and also save the world.
3. Many people, when criticizing you fic, will expect you to just "roll over" and admit that France is not in Asia. You must not let people walk all over you like that, instead you should lash out violently and repeatedly at any hint of disapproval to your masterpiece.
4. The urge to miraculously fix everyone's problems is a powerful one, and you should give into it as fully as possible.
5. If the creator didn't *want* people to express their bizarre fantasies involving his characters, strange leather objects and possibly certain ice-cream toppings then they just shouldn't make their work public.
6. Plot is a matter of opinion.
7. If you are fanficing something from another country, you should add a few words in that language for realism. Don't worry if you don't know what they mean, if *you* don't speak the language what's the likelihood anyone else will?
8. Never let a good descriptive term go to waste. If you have a favorite feel free to stick it in wherever. If people can have willowy figures why not willowy hair? Or shoes?
9. Eyes and the windows of the soul; they are full of emotion and mystery. In order to convey this properly you must never use so clinical a word as "eyes". Pull out your thesaurus. Get creative. Never say "blue eyes" when you can say "deep cerulean orbs of sight" instead.
10. When you are writing in a relationship between two characters, you should have them jump into bed as soon as possible. Sure, in *real* life relationships develop over time, but that would be pretty dull to write about wouldn't it?
11. Speaking of sex scenes, you should put in as many as you can. This keeps the fic interesting.
12. Don't let yourself get all hung up over things like correct spelling and grammar.
13. Many people make the mistake of turning their work over to a beta or proofreader. Don't fall into this trap, these people will pick apart your baby with their cold-hearted rankings about "plot holes" and "consistincy".
14. Remember, you are the author: That makes you GOD.
_________________
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself.
Kali Gargoyle's Asylum

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kali on 2002-03-10 15:39 ]</font>
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:54 PM   #2
SeaThreePeeO
Mad Scientist
 
SeaThreePeeO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Void
Posts: 1,345
Oooooo *Gets out her notebook*

So thats where I am going wrong

The funny thing is sometimes I get stuck, because life here in England is totally different to the states.

The annoying thing is there is very little TMNT stuff over here. So I just let my little warped mind develop the charecters.
SeaThreePeeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:09 PM   #3
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
that is so true!

*will remember to use as guidelines for her origin story*
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:23 PM   #4
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
I wonder if there are people out there going "Those sound like really good ideas."
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:26 PM   #5
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
I certainly know I am! Im gonna print it off and take it home with me to work on my origin story and other stuff!
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:28 PM   #6
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
*blink blink* Did I need to spell out that this list is a joke or are you pulling my leg?
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
yes i know! Jus messin' with your head!

But some of them ARE actually good suggestions...

_________________
Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Machias Banshee on 2002-03-10 15:33 ]</font>
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:40 PM   #8
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
Yeah, okay, you were starting to worry me. Just don't use too many in one fic, unless it's a comedy or parody.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:49 PM   #9
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
well yeah, of course!
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #10
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
Yikes, I've use the "plot is a matter of opinion" in quite a few.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 02:31 PM   #11
azure turtle
Mango Lovin' Mutant
 
azure turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,453
Such sage advice!!
*makes many mental notes*
Heh heh heh.....
__________________
"God, I love being a turtle!"

Want to meet the only blue ninja turtle in existence? Come visit me at my Lair!
azure turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:22 PM   #12
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator
 
HorseTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,677
And after reading the Nitpicker version of how to write fanfic, I realized that list is actually how NOT to.
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:05 PM   #13
Skeletoncrew
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bearing in on your spicy brains
Posts: 3,275
Hah hah hah! That list is veritable recipe for bad fan fiction. #10 and 11 in particular seem like a good guide for bad pornographic fan fiction!
__________________

Adult TMNT fan art and fiction contest Now accepting entries!
Skeletoncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:19 PM   #14
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator
 
HorseTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,677
*shert* The TMNT list this was posted on got really crazy with it.

In response to #5, someone said "or chocolate covered chaps" only to be later backed up with "Carmel and Martian Mice"
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:21 PM   #15
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
I thoroughly enjoyed Raph and HLM's comments on this. They were almost as good as the list.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 05:57 PM   #16
Skeletoncrew
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bearing in on your spicy brains
Posts: 3,275
Okay, this is sorta OT.

Thanks Azure and Kali for reading my first chapter. I've got more of the story mapped out and will probably start writing it today. Only trouble is, I'm not quite sure where I'm going with it! I do want to post it on FanFiction.net...but I also don't want to without having a clearer idea of what I'm doing. You know, that whole darn "plot" thing.
__________________

Adult TMNT fan art and fiction contest Now accepting entries!
Skeletoncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:02 PM   #17
azure turtle
Mango Lovin' Mutant
 
azure turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,453
Ah yes, plot! It can be a writer's best friend or worst nightmare. Don't let it get the best of you, SC! If you're having a hard time thinking of a good plot, you could always brainstorm some ideas. Just start writing down whatever pops in your head. This method helped me a lot during my high school years, and it's still quite helpful. If that doesn't help, then try to spend some free time watching TV, listening to the radio, anything relaxing. Sometimes the perfect idea comes from the most unexpected source. I hope my babbling helped in some way And I can't wait to read more!
__________________
"God, I love being a turtle!"

Want to meet the only blue ninja turtle in existence? Come visit me at my Lair!
azure turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:09 PM   #18
Skeletoncrew
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bearing in on your spicy brains
Posts: 3,275
Well, I know what is going to happen with the "dog". I'm just not sure if its enough to be considered a full story. I don't have any big dramatic fights or conflicts planned.
__________________

Adult TMNT fan art and fiction contest Now accepting entries!
Skeletoncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:12 PM   #19
azure turtle
Mango Lovin' Mutant
 
azure turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,453
Not all fics have a lot of drama or action in it! Some of them (on fanfiction.net) have a lot of "aww, how cute" endings. You don't necessarily need anything major or dramatic for the fic to be good. But it's your fanfic, SC! Play around with it until you're happy with it. After all, you're the writer
__________________
"God, I love being a turtle!"

Want to meet the only blue ninja turtle in existence? Come visit me at my Lair!
azure turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:19 PM   #20
Skeletoncrew
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bearing in on your spicy brains
Posts: 3,275
I AM SKELETONCREW THE GREAT AND POWERFUL WRITER! Muuahh hah hah ha!

Seriously though, I haven't used the words "Michaelangelo" and "He" to death have I? I guess that was my worry. I want it to be clear who I'm talking about, but I also don't want it to be repetative.
__________________

Adult TMNT fan art and fiction contest Now accepting entries!
Skeletoncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.