The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
So did I get these for a steal or what? (First Comics color collections)

Was browsing one of my local comic shops and noticed they had Books I through IV of First Comics color collections of TMNT Vol. 1 (#1-11, Leonardo microseries #1 and several short strips).

They were all being sold at original cover price ($9.99) and appeared in practically never read condition (they even still have the original mail away cards in them, not torn out!).

So what's the current resale value of these things like? I can't even get any results on eBay, save for one that's a BIN of $150.

They all going for the current crackhead prices that most TMNT graphic novels are selling for on the after market?

Not that I'm gonna sell em any time soon or anything. I'd never owned one of these color collections before and they're really quite nice, I have to say (if a tad skimpy at 3 issues a piece).
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I'm a real big fan of the First Graphic Novels. The color in those issues really adds to the effect and outside of #1, we've never seen the first 11 issues colored again. As far as resale value, eh, it's hard to say. I bought the second issue off an ebay seller for between $5-7 after shipping. Of course, it wasn't "near mint" condition or anything like that so that probably helps.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
Yes, no doubt about it..I think those comics in mint condition are a "steal".... Congrats!!!
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I bought the second issue off an ebay seller for between $5-7 after shipping. Of course, it wasn't "near mint" condition or anything like that so that probably helps.
Hmmm, yikes. How long ago was that? Before or after the price spike for all TMNT trades?
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
I wouldn't call it a steal, but you definitely got a good deal. The price for these spike every once in awhile, but not like the collected books. Overall, $10/each is a very fair price. These books were sold in bookstores and there were A LOT of them printed and sold, so they're pretty easy to find. I found a dealer with some a couple years ago at a local convention that was selling them for the same price and I picked one up because it was a first printing. There's no real price difference for these with the various printings, but as a book nerd it still interests me.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Hmmm, yikes. How long ago was that? Before or after the price spike for all TMNT trades?
Back in April of 2009. It might have just been one of those things where the bidding started low and nobody noticed it. I was the only bidder. It was in good shape, but it had a shelf wear and some yellowing stains on the pages. Since I just wanted it for reading and don't intend on selling it's all fine with me.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,405
Never cared for the First color collections. Don't own one, have had multiple opportunities to buy them on the shelf.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I wouldn't call it a steal, but you definitely got a good deal. The price for these spike every once in awhile, but not like the collected books. Overall, $10/each is a very fair price. These books were sold in bookstores and there were A LOT of them printed and sold, so they're pretty easy to find. I found a dealer with some a couple years ago at a local convention that was selling them for the same price and I picked one up because it was a first printing. There's no real price difference for these with the various printings, but as a book nerd it still interests me.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. I guess since they were printed by First and not Mirage, then they were able to be released in book stores.

Well, even if they aren't a gold mine I rather like them. The coloring technique seems to vary between books on a slightly inconsistent level (either due to the different colorists or the different shading and duo toning techniques of the black and white source material).

Definately worth $10 bucks a piece, though, and now I won't have to worry about man-handling my single issues anymore (aside from the microseries issues they skipped, anyway).

The oversized format is also pretty luxurious.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
discordiatookie
facehugger
 
discordiatookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 2,817
Here be a full set up on ebay. Spotted it yesterday, and when I saw the title of this thread, I actually though you had won the auction...

I certainly got mine for a steal, a few years back I found all four (well, in the UK 'Penguin' publisher) in a weird wee book shop for £2.50 each. A bit beat up but still very readable, they were my gateway back into the world of the TMNT. I had no idea that the Mirage universe existed, so when I got these, I was amazed. I had to get more, and i've been a TMNT nut since. So yeah, i'm very fond of these books.
__________________
Oh Discordia! Charyou Tree! Come, Reap!
Don't tell us to grow up and out of it
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist
 
Oculus Orbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,535
I love those books. Those were my first TMNT comics, as a kid, and how I discovered where the Turtles actually came from. I was really into TMNT, and really into comics, so learning that TMNT was born as a comic was amazing for me.

Also, those were the only Mirage TMNT comics that got published here in Spain for about 15 years, so I've read them a million times.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Like a lot of others, the First Graphic Novels were my entry into Mirage TMNT as well. My dad got Volumes 1, 3, & 4 for me way back when. I never really read them until I was in college since I just figured they were adaptations of the first live-action movie or something like that. Judging by the storylines in Leonardo #1- TMNT #11.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-17-2010 at 10:12 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I got mine in a lot, all 4 for 25 bucks. I got lucky though. I have seen them for more so not a bad deal at all. Most people sell them for around 15 on Ebay. Even if you did get them for 10 on Ebay you'd still be paying shipping so you saved money in the long run.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Got mine for $35. Not bad but I like em!
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
Got a set of all 4 off of Ebay about a year ago for $8 shipped ($5 buy it now auction). They were all later printings, but still, quite a steal.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.