The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
gbhq
Foot Soldier
 
gbhq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 167
Would a different artist save tmnt vol 4

Do you think that if there was a different penciller other than Jim Lawson
doing vol 4 it would have turned out better? - maybe Dan Berger?
gbhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Although I like Jim Lawson on Vol. 4, I do wonder if it would have sold more if it had the same exact story but with a different artist.

I'd love to have seen Michael Dooney or Dan Berger draw Volume 4. Would have been cool, but as I said I'm used to Jim Lawson's art so I'm fine with it as is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Shellsweet
Foot Soldier
 
Shellsweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sewers of South Carolina. :P
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Although I like Jim Lawson on Vol. 4, I do wonder if it would have sold more if it had the same exact story but with a different artist.

I'd love to have seen Michael Dooney or Dan Berger draw Volume 4. Would have been cool, but as I said I'm used to Jim Lawson's art so I'm fine with it as is.
Totally Agree with that! It would be a shame if it never got to finish the story. :/
__________________
Check me out on DeviantART and Tumblr!:
www.shellsweet.deviantart.com/
http://www.shellsweet.tumblr.com/

Ask me about Commissions!
Shellsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,214
1. Art was not the main problem with volume 4.

2. The art looked frickin great until like issue #10 when they ruined the shading.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
If it had a steady release schedule and better art maybe. Whenever I'd buy an issue the various shop workers I'd talk to would comment on how bad the art was. I think that turned away any potential comic readers who remember them from back in the day or casual people who picked it up just to check it out. I know the Tales books at my comic shops would always sell out or sell more copies while the V4's collected dust.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
gbhq
Foot Soldier
 
gbhq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 167
I would have to say that i actually like Jim Lawsons art, but it took me a few years to get used to it - unlike other artists like Dooney and Berger were I
instantly liked it. From my experience people that have never seen his art then suddeny see it - hate it because it's not the style they are used to.
I would like to know if Peter Laird had any influence on Lawsons artwork
gbhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Lawson's a fine artist, and his style really grows on you. Perfect fit for the tone of the series.

That said, he was never going to help sell the book. Comic buyers want their books to look a certain way, and Lawson's style isn't it, which is too bad. I'm sure it would find more acceptance in a loftier series or experimental projects, but yeah, it must have been a hard swallow when Turtles was parading around as an action-adventure book (which it isn't). So would another artist have improved sales?

They'd have to have been damn good, and have a hell of a lot of mass appeal to have made up for the random scheduling and lack of promotion. So probably not.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
does it really matter if it sold more? PL would have still went on the same hiatus, him stopping Vol. 4 had nothing to do with the sales.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
DK2
Stone Warrior
 
DK2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 621
Another artist may have barely even had any impact on the sales for TMNT Vol.4. Thru and thru TMNT in comics were just never gonna get a blip on the sales. Its up to the comic stores to bring it in and that just never happened. All the marketing wouldn`t do anything. The comic itself needed to make itself look like something that would sell and maintain readers. Mirage just wasn`t doing or gonna get any of this from the retailers or the readers.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
gbhq
Foot Soldier
 
gbhq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 167
That's also true, Peter Laird's ****** attitude toward th whole thing didn't help either!
gbhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.