The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
SuperIronRobo
New Recruit
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Why do people hate Ch'rell?

I don't get it? I mean this is TMNT we are talking about. I mean seriously. why was this bad? The funny thing is, he may not be memorable to the OT fanbase but at least he was an actual threat. Really what was so bad about Utroms and Utrom Shredder? Its almost like if something isn't a direct rehash of the OT then it is automatically not good. This is just me nerdraging and being an asshole but why does it seem like the OT Fanbase seem like the worst of the TMNT Fanbase?
SuperIronRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I think it's the drastic change to the character. People are used to Shredder being a human (for the most part...). To have him be a alien blob seems kind of anticlimactic. That and it allows for way too many "Shredder is Krang" parallels.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
I don't think he's hated at all, he's actually viewed as one of the best incarnations of Shredder.

Its just people didn't like the idea of Shredder not being human.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Koi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIronRobo View Post
This is just me nerdraging and being an asshole but why does it seem like the OT Fanbase seem like the worst of the TMNT Fanbase?
You kind of contradicted yourself there. Also, all fan bases are equal in there own right. Everyone has there downs and ups.

Didn't realize people disliked him so much.

v.v I have to say, I had to look up who Ch'rell was because I frankly forgot who/what it was. All utroms/kraang look the same to me.
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
You kind of contradicted yourself there. Also, all fan bases are equal in there own right. Everyone has there downs and ups.
Indeed. Every fan who says "I only like ____ aspect of the TMNT franchise." can be a bit...."nerdragy."
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
midknigt
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIronRobo View Post
I don't get it? I mean this is TMNT we are talking about. I mean seriously. why was this bad? The funny thing is, he may not be memorable to the OT fanbase but at least he was an actual threat. Really what was so bad about Utroms and Utrom Shredder? Its almost like if something isn't a direct rehash of the OT then it is automatically not good. This is just me nerdraging and being an asshole but why does it seem like the OT Fanbase seem like the worst of the TMNT Fanbase?

Am I the only one from the OT fanbase that appreciates the 2k3T?!

I have to admit it was a mighty adjustment to see Shredder being an empty shell controlled by an utrom. I eventually got warmed up to the idea, especially when you see Ch'rell take on OT Shredder in Turtles Forever and Raphael at one point in 2k3 WITHOUT the suit (forgot which episode). That alone made him a badass villain in my book!

Ch'rell needs more love!
midknigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by midknigt View Post
Am I the only one from the OT fanbase that appreciates the 2k3T?! !
Nah. I try to give each aspect of the TMNT their due...even the "less than perfect" aspects. I'm not a huge fan of Ch'rell, but it's mainly things after his reveal like BttS and Turtles Forever that made me think they are trying to compensate for his being an Utrom...they tried to hard at times, IMO.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
midknigt
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Nah. I try to give each aspect of the TMNT their due...even the "less than perfect" aspects. I'm not a huge fan of Ch'rell, but it's mainly things after his reveal like BttS and Turtles Forever that made me think they are trying to compensate for his being an Utrom...they tried to hard at times, IMO.
True, most of the time it's really obvious. I hope the new TMNT NickToon won't try too hard as well.
midknigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by midknigt View Post
Am I the only one from the OT fanbase that appreciates the 2k3T?!
Why do people keep trying to separate the TMNT fanbase by old toon fans, etc? The vast majority of TMNT fans appreciate both, as opposed to the ones who only like one cartoon, or neither.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I thought the twist reveal of making Shredder an Utrom in disguise was genius! However, once that happened, I could never really view Shredder as a serious threat again. He went from being seemingly invincible to being chopped liver once the turtles found out his weak spot. It was like a video game boss. Once you know how to exploit his weakness, he'll never be a challenge to you again.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I thought the twist reveal of making Shredder an Utrom in disguise was genius! However, once that happened, I could never really view Shredder as a serious threat again. He went from being seemingly invincible to being chopped liver once the turtles found out his weak spot. It was like a video game boss. Once you know how to exploit his weakness, he'll never be a challenge to you again.
Leading them to push the "greatest threat EVAR!" stuff with him, IE Turtles Forever.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Leading them to push the "greatest threat EVAR!" stuff with him, IE Turtles Forever.
Ah, come on, tell me Ch'rell wasn't pathetic in Exodus Part 1. The poor lil alien's exosuit got bwoken and his babysitter Karai had to scurry him off to safety.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Ah, come on, tell me Ch'rell wasn't pathetic in Exodus Part 1. The poor lil alien's exosuit got bwoken and his babysitter Karai had to scurry him off to safety.
True...then he nearly kills them all because he is "teh awesome! And not a tiny squishy brain-alien."
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIronRobo View Post
This is just me nerdraging and being an asshole but why does it seem like the OT Fanbase seem like the worst of the TMNT Fanbase?
As for this statement, the reason it seems that way is this: They are the majority of TMNT "fans".

These are the ones we call "casual fans". They might buy a retro T-shirt from Hottopic, maybe a DVD or two, but outside of that they've not given that much of a damn about the turtles since they were little kids. & seeing how that version was the only one they were exposed to before they grew out of it, they think everything that came after it is just a wack spinoff or not as good as "the original". Of course, they're idiots because the real "original" version of the turtles is the comic books. The comic books they don't even know exist, usually. But you won't see these kinds of fans on this board. You will see some that dislike all incarnations other than the comic or (in rare cases) the OT, but they're at least very passionate about the aspect of the franchise they enjoy & typically still have a bit of respect for the other versions.

Just go to the Ninja Turtles facebook page, that's where you'll see this kind of stuff-

-"Ralph was teh coolest one!!1"
-"I always liked Rahaeil the best"
-"the new show is gay originals are way better"
-"i don't like the comics, why are there 4 raphs?"
-"if this new movie doesn't have krang I'm not watching"

Etc...
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

v.v I have to say, I had to look up who Ch'rell was because I frankly forgot who/what it was. All utroms/kraang look the same to me.
That's racist.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #16
midknigt
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why do people keep trying to separate the TMNT fanbase by old toon fans, etc? The vast majority of TMNT fans appreciate both, as opposed to the ones who only like one cartoon, or neither.
I wasn't, you only quoted my sarcasm.
midknigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #17
ChetTurtle
Foot Soldier
 
ChetTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Heidelberg, Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Just go to the Ninja Turtles facebook page,
All 20 of them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
That's racist.
__________________
"Oh man! I slept on my hand and it go numb and hit my face and I thought some body slapped me! Don't ya hate that?"-Michaelangelo, The Shredder Strikes Back Part 1


ChetTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #18
Krys
Thug
 
Krys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NZ
Posts: 58
Honestly before I joined these kinds of forums, I didn't even realize their were separate fanbases within the tmnt fandom. I mean I've watched both the OT and 2k3 and yea I noticed the differences between both series, but it never really mattered to me, cause it was still TMNT.
__________________
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #19
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
Sadly when Ch'rell was revealed as an utrom I was spoiled on here before the episode aired (I think it was revealed in a video game or something beforehand?), although I have to say the "Secret Origins" arc was extremely predictable anyway (though still pretty good).
I think there was a lot of backlash at the time and many people hated the idea. But over time it seemed most people warmed up to it. For me, I thought it was so bizarre that I liked it. I know some "casual" fans who watched Turtles Forever, and they were completely confused by Ch'rell's appearance.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #20
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
The concept of Shredder being an utrom just never completely made sense to me. In the first season, Shredder was a Japanese crime lord who became obsessed with the turtles because they interfered with his business. Then all of a sudden, out of no where, we find out that he's actually this world conquering alien. The two are so radically different that I just never completely believed it. I was ok with it because the utrom persona was rarely featured in the show. The majority of the time that the character was shown was as Oroku Saki, and I really liked that. I thought that it was really cool to not see him as Shredder every time he was shown.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
4kids, shredder


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.