The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Do you think the rating affected the show at all?

I'm assuming the way that TMNT got it's TV-Y7-FV rating is because it was required to have that rating to air on FoxBox/KidsWB/CW4Kids on Saturday mornings. But if 4Kids had allowed it to get a higher rating, do you think this would have affected the show's general tone? Maybe a bit of cursing here and there. I for one would have replaced "shell" with "hell" in "Everything's going to shell!" sometimes. Maybe an overall darker tone of the show would have been used.

So, the question is: do you think if the show had been giver a higher rating (TV-PG, maybe) it would have been affected much in terms of tone and dialogue? And would you find the show as enjoyable if it took advantage of a higher rating by adding more violence or language?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
The FCC don't allow Saturday morning cartoons to have a rating higher than Y7.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
I figured it worked something like that. But just pretend the FCC could have let it slide for TMNT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
I was kinda shocked in one episode. I want to say that it might've been "Tales Of Leo." I think Mikey threw out a "It sucks being cold blooded."

I think the 2003 TMNT cartoon was easily good enough that it could've gotten prime time exposure. I remember Cartoon Network had it for a while. I could've seen it airing Saturday nights with the 2002 He-Man and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I was kinda shocked in one episode. I want to say that it might've been "Tales Of Leo." I think Mikey threw out a "It sucks being cold blooded."
What's the big deal with that line?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,211
"Sucks" is kinda crass. You don't hear it on Jimmy Neutron.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist
 
Shreddhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,470
I agree about the "shell" lines. I get it, theyre turtles. that doesnt mean i wanna hear it every other episode. I dont mind it ever now and then, but i swear it got to a point where it really felt forced.

I would have loved to see a more mature version, but compared to what i remember aired along with it( various sonic incarnations and ultimate muscle) it was way above average.
__________________

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
"Sucks" is kinda crass. You don't hear it on Jimmy Neutron.
Meh, in today's world "sucks" is so tame. Its definitely not associated with what it once was decades ago.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What's the big deal with that line? in today's world "sucks" is so tame. Its definitely not associated with what it once was decades ago.
Personally, I was ok with it. But I could see some parents being upset hearing it on a Saturday morning cartoon.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddhead View Post
I dont mind it ever now and then, but i swear it got to a point where it really felt forced.
Hun's occasional "Ah, crud." seemed forced in some cases too. Like when in SaiNW when he and Stockman were stepped on, and in Season 5 when the Tengu Shredder picked him up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Revan
Han Shot First
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paper Street Soap Company
Posts: 3,687
I always liked the "ah, crud" line. It felt more like legitimate comic relief than a way to express profane emotion to me.
__________________
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Meh, in today's world "sucks" is so tame. Its definitely not associated with what it once was decades ago.
Most people have become desensitized when it comes to the word, but it still comes from "sucks dick".
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Most people have become desensitized when it comes to the word, but it still comes from "sucks dick".
Even when I was a kid everyone meant sucks as "you're bad at something."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,211
Well yeah, but saying "Lebron James sucks" is the same as saying "Lebron James sucks dick". So "sucks" is an abbreviation.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 08-30-2011 at 04:37 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior
 
The Big Bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 653
Hard to say. The few TV-PG-rated American cartoons that have been produced in the last year or two don't really seem go beyond what was shown in Seasons 3 to 5 of TMNT, and the various things which I think should have been changed, if possible--first and foremost the various restrictions around the words "death", "kill", and their variants--really had more to do with what 4Kids would allow than with the rating. In any case, any changes would have probably been very minor.
__________________
Monsters of New York, my TMNT/Gargoyles Blog


Avatar artwork by Madseason.

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 AM   #16
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The FCC don't allow Saturday morning cartoons to have a rating higher than Y7.
So how is Cartoon Network able to air Generator Rex, Sym-Bionic Titan, and the Clone Wars on saturday morning? All those shows have a TVPG rating.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
So how is Cartoon Network able to air Generator Rex, Sym-Bionic Titan, and the Clone Wars on saturday morning? All those shows have a TVPG rating.
Well, it's a cable network.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
So how is Cartoon Network able to air Generator Rex, Sym-Bionic Titan, and the Clone Wars on saturday morning? All those shows have a TVPG rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Whisperer View Post
Well, it's a cable network.
I'm pretty sure that cable has different rules than the ABC, NBC, CBS's, etc.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.