The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
herugrim
Random Punk
 
herugrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Posts: 40
About censorship...

I've been watching the series and found myself wondering about some of the censorship. Frankly, I don't have a problem with the fact that it was done since after all this was a cartoon for kids on network television, but what I wonder is why would they put in so many scenes that so clearly needed it, when they know they couldn't show it?

For example, I remember during the Exodus two parter, Karai impales Leo. Obviously they couldn't show it, nor could they show the damage it would've done. Heck, they couldn't even mention the severity of it. All they could do was show the shock on the brothers' faces and basically take Leo out of the fight. When you see Leo, he doesn't have a mark on him and later on is ownly shown briefly with some bandages.

Then there was a part during the sixth season showdown with the real Oroku Saki when he quite clearly cut Karai in half. Like with Leo, Karai goes down and stays out of the fight but again the characters can't referrence it, and she shows no damage to herself at all.

Other have characters clearly being cut but only getting clothing torn and whatnot. I understand the rules of censorship and why it was done but why would they even put those scenes in knowing they'd have to dumb them down so much? Why not just have Karai knock into a panel and have him get electricuted? Why not have Saki blast Karai?
herugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
The Leo Karai scene wasn't that bad. They did it from an angle you couldn't see it from and it gave Leo a permanent scar to remind him of Karai's betrayal. Also Spinter already got electrocuted.

I don't think Karai was meant to be cut in half. They didn't shy away from showing that monster get cut in half in Dragon's Brew or all the nasty stuff that happens to Baxter. The censorship of the series didn't kick in till after Season 5. Fast Forward was the beginning of the censorship and it was because the heads of 4Kids changed and freaked out over Insane in the Membrane. They didn't even air it in the states.

Honestly I don't think shows should let rules limit what they do. Turtles had a lot of action in it and suspension of disbelief can help us accept that being impaled doesn't cause you to bleed everywhere. We are dealing with giant mutant turtles after all. If we can handle that we can handle the idea that sharp weapons and guns don't make people bleed. Batman TAS and a few other early DCU shows might be some of the few series I've seen that got away with using real guns and having some blood.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by herugrim View Post
Then there was a part during the sixth season showdown with the real Oroku Saki when he quite clearly cut Karai in half. Like with Leo, Karai goes down and stays out of the fight but again the characters can't referrence it, and she shows no damage to herself at all.
What? Karai only appeared in the sixth season in a fake story created by Master Splinter for April and Casey's journal. And to my memory, the real Saki never appeared in the sixth season. Are you talking about a battle during the fifth season?
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
All these years, and I still have no idea exactly how Karai's sword punctured Leo. The angles were just so strange.

If I remember, the off-screen stab makes you think she got him in the stomach, then you see his shoulder strap hanging off her blade as he collapses to the floor (no wound visible, of course). Then after he gets his bandages taken off in Season 4, the upper right crust of his shell is broken off... even though it was fine in the Exodus episode. Oy...
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
All these years, and I still have no idea exactly how Karai's sword punctured Leo. The angles were just so strange.

If I remember, the off-screen stab makes you think she got him in the stomach, then you see his shoulder strap hanging off her blade as he collapses to the floor (no wound visible, of course). Then after he gets his bandages taken off in Season 4, the upper right crust of his shell is broken off... even though it was fine in the Exodus episode. Oy...
My assumption there was the Utroms had to remove that part of his shell during surgery to save him.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
That Exodus episode was great - the TMNT really got their shells handed to them, and I for one was very impressed with how dark they made that scene - it was awesome that they were at least able to do that and pull it off.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
My assumption there was the Utroms had to remove that part of his shell during surgery to save him.
I can accept that explanation.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,220
Yeah, for Leo getting stabbed I just assumed it went into his shell and the bleeding went on in there. For his shell, I always imagined that since time was frozen mid-explosion, Leo's shell was just starting to be blown apart when they commenced the stasis bubble. But I think I might like Spit's theory better.

The Karai thing wasn't that bad, but it definitely could have been handled better. Not showing her from below the chest would have been good enough...

But oh well, that whole season sucks
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,809
They pretty much pushed the limits of what you could show on Saturday morning cartoons. I am surprised they got away with as much as they did.

As said, they did refuse to air Insane in the Membrane on TV, and the ep with Hun/Garbageman being twins in Season 5 was scrapped because it was too much for little kids.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Um... no, that scene was horribly done... it looked like Karai ran Leo through... totally impaled from the front... then suddenly next season he has a side of his shell chipped?
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
herugrim
Random Punk
 
herugrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
What? Karai only appeared in the sixth season in a fake story created by Master Splinter for April and Casey's journal. And to my memory, the real Saki never appeared in the sixth season. Are you talking about a battle during the fifth season?
I'm fairly certain the sixth season was the ninja tribunal one, though my memory could be bad.

So Leo missing his shell peice was supposed to be from that battle, eh? It seems like it was a very odd transition.
herugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.