![]() |
|
|||||||
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
#1 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
|
Anyone else think Savanti Romero and Complete Carnage are uninteresting villains?
I always wondered why these characters never got much exposure in the comics, (at least before Tales Volume 2 started), and why Savanti never appeared in the original cartoon or got a toy...when several other Mirage characters like Fugitoid and Triceratons and Shogun Chote got toys.
Is it just me or do Savanti Romero and Complete Carnage feel like they belong in the cartoons than the comic? Their dialogue is usually corny on purpose, they spout lame supervillain-y lines that feel like they're from 60's or 70's era comics, and their designs are nothing special. They also feel like they're evil just for the sake of being evil. I just read through a bunch of comics with them lately and can't help but feel how out of place they are in the Mirage universe. I know Savanti was created to be linked with Renet and all, but the character doesn't seem right. Complete Carnage's design is also a ripoff of Etrigan the Demon. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
40 Years of TMNT
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
|
Isn't this a Comic Section question? Since it's in 4kids I gotta say I reeeeeeeally hoped to see Complete Carnage in the 2k3 series.
I don't really like Savanti at all, but for some reason I like CC. I suppose they are kinda dull, though maybe that was purposeful. |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
|
Space Knight
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
|
Quote:
Savanti, I dunno, I really enjoyed his 4Kids! design (wish I'd gotten the fig!) and see a certain potential in buff Savanti moreso than skinny Savanti. I could see his size difference being a visual way to see how powerful his magic is - when he's ripped he's maxed out, when he's puny he becomes depleted and a total slapstick character.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Hench Mutant
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 443
|
Loving CC but can not say the same for Romero.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
|
I really enjoy Savanti when they play him for laughs, which is almost his every appearance.
He's an incredibly powerful villain and occassionally manages some genuine threats, but at the end of the day his schemes always fall apart because he's just no smart enough to handle all the power he possesses. Normally, those kinds of villains can be annoying, but like I said, even though Savanti's a "born loser", he's powerful enough to conjur a real threat even if he always blunders in the end. Though I did enjoy the lone "serious" take on him in Michael Dooney's "Masks" storyline, I still prefer him when they play up the humor of his character. As for Complete Carnage; he has some really cool powers and a good name, but Mirage never really did enough with him to make him interesting. I much preferred his origin from the Transdimensional TMNT RPG book, that gave him a greater amount of depth and a sympathetic angle (he was very shallow in the Mirage comic). But, really, the fact that he's linked to "Swan Song" is enough to ruin him (and Radical). |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,090
|
My problems with these two are as follows. Note that it's been awhile since I read these issues and thus am probably remembering something wrong!
Savanti is done too many times, with pretty much the exact same adventure every single time. I guess it kind of makes sense and all, but it gets kind of old. CC (and also Radical) are pretty much used and then forgotten for a long time then used again for a second and go back to forgotten. It's like they put them into a box for storage and the story continues on without them because they're totally unimportant to it. Obviously I don't expect them to be super major characters, but having the occasional "oh **** they're fighting again" on the news in the background or something would have helped out to make them more a part of the world and less a one-shot standalone + Leo getting laid in the future. Basically I'm saying they handled the other in-universe superheroes better.
__________________
Final Boss of translation group Opentrain. We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff. http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/ |
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Hench Mutant
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 265
|
Savanti Romero and Complete Carnage are just filler, they are not really important in the Mirage comics.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| comic discussion |
|
|