The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
When Shredder says "I am your father" in the first movie

When we see Shredder for the first time talking to all the kids he says, "You are here because the outside world rejects you. This is your family now. I am your father."

Did anyone else think he sounds like Darth Vader when he said that line? Was it an intentional homage?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
Yeah I actually just rewatched the first movie last night and that instantly popped into my head as well. I think it could be an homage, I mean he's wearing a big metal helmet while he says it, its hard not to see the similarities
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I actually never drew the comparison because I saw Turtles way before I ever watched Star Wars. So to this day I don't make the connection. However, I have a feeling it was somewhat intentional - isn't Laird a Star Wars fan? Plus it's hard to escape the link when anybody says that line, haha!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
There is a youtube video suggesting that. I never made the connection even after I was the clip while I can see why others would and I doubt it was a reference to Star Wars. I don't know about Star Wars,but Peter is a big Star Trek fan.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
rufus
Stone Warrior
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville,Georgia
Posts: 780
He mentioned once on one of his blogs that he was a fan of Yoda. http://plairdblog.blogspot.com/2009/...taun-taun.html I always to the "I am your father" Line as him furthering his grasp on the disillusioned and runaway kids that we see makes up a portion of his criminal empire.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/edgartooms
^TMNT Stopmotions.

Last edited by rufus; 01-08-2012 at 12:35 PM.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,208
Yeah, the movie had a pretty strong family theme going on. It's necessary dialogue if you ask me.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Yes, there was definitely a conscious effort to "Vader him up" with the Shredder.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
lol never even made the connection
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
I'm a little surprised I never caught that, although I'm not a huge Star Wars fan.


Love the way they do the foot clan in the first film. I like legit ninja's too, but the way Steve Baron integrated the New York youth into the picture was really done and fitting with the themes of the movie.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,182
The OT and 2k3 are also filled with references to SW's, they're usually done very well too.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The OT and 2k3 are also filled with references to SW's, they're usually done very well too.
Got any examples for the OT? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Trek: check. Wars? Not so much.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Got any examples for the OT?
There is the small matter of them kind of James Earl Jonesing Shredder for the Fred Wolf cartoon. Wonder where they got that idea.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
I never really made the connection before, but now I sort of do. Then again, I just figured that he was trying to disguise the Foot as a family for kids who didn't have good relationships with their own families. He took in kids who felt they didn't have a family and tried to make the Foot into one, but it wasn't.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist
 
Shreddhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,470
Im a pretty big star wars fan, and i picked up on this the first time I ever saw the first turtles movie. Not sure if its an homage or just a line that ended up sounding a lot like its predecessor. But as a kid, i thought of Vader immediately when i saw the movie shredder.

someone put this voice/ image comparison up on youtube. pretty similar if you ask me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChdabkaQCk
__________________

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Got any examples for the OT? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Trek: check. Wars? Not so much.

There's definitely a few, only one I can remember off the top of my head I think it's from the 5 part pilot a bunch of scenes reek of the Death Star including the Splinter/Shredder duel, it doesn't seem like a rip-off but a very well done homage.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Got any examples for the OT? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Trek: check. Wars? Not so much.
"Return of The Technodrome" had a total "New Hope" vibe once they busted in the 'drome.

Other than that and a couple of sound effects, they never riffed off of Star Wars too much.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
Logan
Hench Mutant
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 483
I've always noticed the similarity. The visiting spirit of Splinter even reminded me of Obi-Wan on Dagobah as well. Right down to the bluish color.
__________________
We're a team; and as a team let's go kick some ass!

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant
 
Hermano Dyvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 355
For some reason Shredder's always given me a Darth Vader vibe. Especially present in the OT with the technodrome reminding me of the death star.

Same as how Splinter gives off a Yoda vibe, this similarity is probably more obvious.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior
 
TonySiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 638
This thread has ruined star wars and TMNT 1 for me, from here on til forever...

[never made this connection ]
__________________



"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
I think it was Mad Magazine that did a spoof of the first TMNT movie and called Shredder a Darth Vader rip-off.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.