The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
rufus
Stone Warrior
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville,Georgia
Posts: 780
Turtles 1990 backlash and its effect on the sequels.

The original and Independent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film made in 1990 and directed by Steve Barron encountered a good size of backlash from parental groups due to its tone and action. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,317255,00.html
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ition-violence
Due to this the tone for the sequel was toned down drastically and many from the first opted not to return such as Barron and Judith Hoag. How do you think the sequels would have been like had the producers not caved into the backlash or if there hadn't been any at at all?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/edgartooms
^TMNT Stopmotions.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
A more Mirage inspired 2nd movie would have been nice, coulda done a City At War inspired movie or who knows, with more funding and a higher budget we could have seen some Utrom and Triceraton action. Dinosaurs were huge in the early 90s with Jurassic Park and the show Dinosaurs, I think bringing the Triceratons in woulda been a huge hit!
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
That first article is so bizarre. The movie is so tame by todays standards that it makes me wonder if 90's era parents were just too sheltered.

The movie has no blood, no deaths, no stabbing at all.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Quote:
"So should you take your kid to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I'm not recommending that you do — this movie will not enrich your child's worldview."
And all I can say is thank God my parents didn't listen to you.
__________________
"Leave it to Donatello to have a homing device that fits a snake!"
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That first article is so bizarre. The movie is so tame by todays standards that it makes me wonder if 90's era parents were just too sheltered.

The movie has no blood, no deaths, no stabbing at all.
I've seen not a single kids movie in years that's had the amount of violence or swearing in it the first turtles movie did. It takes place mostly at night and has a very dark tone overall. They also crush someone's head with a garbage truck and had there been no sequel saying otherwise it'd be assumed Shredder was dead. If that fall didn't kill him getting his head smashed probably would.

Course the 80's had The Beastmaster rated PG and proudly sporting boobs, severed heads on sticks, and decapitations so I guess early 90's parents really had nothing to bitch about.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Well I was comparing it to stuff like Batman 89 or even the first Spiderman and x-men movie. They are all aimed at roughly the same audience and TMNT wasn't really any more violent.

There were also no guns in the movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
All those movies you mentioned were rated PG-13 though. Turtles was PG and for a PG movie it's quite violent. Most kids movies today aren't even PG anymore. They usually lean towards G.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I can't stand conservative riff-raff garbage like that. Kids are going to discover violence sooner or later, if it's through a TMNT movie at least they will realize that it's worth fighting against evil. Geez...

Quote:
I have spent the past six years telling my son that hitting is not a good way to solve problems, that it hurts people's feelings and their bodies, and that when we are angry we should try to use words.
I chuckled.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
rufus
Stone Warrior
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville,Georgia
Posts: 780
What is interesting is that by 1990 PG was starting to be associated as the rating for kids films despite years earlier it never was and lots of films had PG ratings that were chock full of violence such as Raiders of the Lost ark.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/edgartooms
^TMNT Stopmotions.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald7 View Post
And all I can say is thank God my parents didn't listen to you.
Enrich her kid's worldview? What, does she normally only take her kids to art films or something?

Yeah, I'm glad I wasn't this sheltered growing up. I watched all kinds of violent stuff, and I never had a problem with being a violent kid, because I was always told that it's all just make believe, and real violence has real consequences. Also, as much as I enjoyed the first TMNT movie, when I was a kid sitting in the theater I was afraid throughout it that Leonardo was going to eventually slice into someone with his swords. So I did have an aversion to extreme violence as a kid.

Maybe some kids just don't get it. Then again, there are a ton of clueless adults in the world, who I imagine started off as clueless kids.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
At the risk of sounding like a generic atheistic hipster prick, I'd say it's better to grow up to become a violent person than a fundamentalist.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man View Post
I was always told that it's all just make believe, and real violence has real consequences.
Exactly, I mean that is the really important lesson here. That kids can enjoy violence in a movie, but not romanticize it in real life.

I mean I heard curse words in movies as a kid but I knew not to repeat them in real life because I'd probably be sent to my room, away from the TV for a week, lol.
__________________
"Leave it to Donatello to have a homing device that fits a snake!"
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
At the risk of sounding like a generic atheistic hipster prick, I'd say it's better to grow up to become a violent person than a fundamentalist.
I'd have to disagree. Fundamentalists at least provide plenty of unintentional humor. Violence in real life can be downright scary.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
A more Mirage inspired 2nd movie would have been nice, coulda done a City At War inspired movie or who knows, with more funding and a higher budget we could have seen some Utrom and Triceraton action. Dinosaurs were huge in the early 90s with Jurassic Park and the show Dinosaurs, I think bringing the Triceratons in woulda been a huge hit!
Oh damn those parents of the 90's shelter children. They robbed us of a good sequel and probably killed the tmnt franchise or so they thought

Back in 2012 bitches!!!
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
ryukenden
Hench Mutant
 
ryukenden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 383
Even to this day, the 1990 movie is still considered by most as the superior Turtle movie. Not many really liked the more family friendly sequels which seriously went downhill. If the second movie was based off of City at War, it would have been really awesome.

I can't help but feel that the parent groups that had the following movies toned down were the same ones that had Lord Zedd from Power Rangers mellow out because he was "too evil". Since Michael Bay turned Optimus Prime into Kratos, who knows what he's going to do with Leo.
ryukenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryukenden View Post
Even to this day, the 1990 movie is still considered by most as the superior Turtle movie. Not many really liked the more family friendly sequels which seriously went downhill. If the second movie was based off of City at War, it would have been really awesome.

I can't help but feel that the parent groups that had the following movies toned down were the same ones that had Lord Zedd from Power Rangers mellow out because he was "too evil". Since Michael Bay turned Optimus Prime into Kratos, who knows what he's going to do with Leo.
I doubt we would have seen a City at War for the 2nd movie, since the sequel was released in 1991, and there's no way New Line would have waited that long for a Turtles sequel when the franchise was red hot.

Now something more based on the Utroms could have been neat, but probably too big budget.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #17
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
I chuckled.
This got me:
Quote:
''They're doing some really bad stuff in there,'' Reid said as he watched two Foot members fight. ''That's right,'' I told him, leaning close. ''They could have tried to work out their problems in a less violent way.''
Yep, the villainous Ninjas that kidnapped your father and were told to destroy you, just talk that out. I'm sure the Foot would have gladly sat down over coffee and talked out this issue with out resorting to violence.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Because I won a contest to see the movie I had to be accompanied by an adult. My grandfather didn't find anything wrong with the film and was relieved it had a story he could follow. He's also a very ardent Christian and didn't find anything he satanic about it either.

I guess he's cool like that. I remember him watching Batman Returns on VHS and saying "that Catwoman is more full on than the old 'un, isn't she?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
A more Mirage inspired 2nd movie would have been nice, coulda done a City At War inspired movie or who knows, with more funding and a higher budget we could have seen some Utrom and Triceraton action. Dinosaurs were huge in the early 90s with Jurassic Park and the show Dinosaurs, I think bringing the Triceratons in woulda been a huge hit!
"City At War" didn't exist in 1991. There's not many storylines they could do as the first movie covered the main point of "Return to New York" and the space arc with Triceratons and the Fugitoid while fun would've been an ambitious and very expensive undertaking in the '90s. (Though would work well now)

I could see an expansion of #2 with Baxter's storyline. Mouser's robbing banks and blowing up buildings with Stockman doing it for fun etc. Something like that could work quite well now too..almost Dark Knight esque.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Well the second movie did do the TCRI storyline...just without any Utroms.

I do feel they should have put Baxter and the Mousers in a movie though, I wonder if they didn't because the Mousers would be too hard to do? Its not like now where they could be CG.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Because I won a contest to see the movie I had to be accompanied by an adult. My grandfather didn't find anything wrong with the film and was relieved it had a story he could follow. He's also a very ardent Christian and didn't find anything he satanic about it either.

I guess he's cool like that. I remember him watching Batman Returns on VHS and saying "that Catwoman is more full on than the old 'un, isn't she?"



"City At War" didn't exist in 1991. There's not many storylines they could do as the first movie covered the main point of "Return to New York" and the space arc with Triceratons and the Fugitoid while fun would've been an ambitious and very expensive undertaking in the '90s. (Though would work well now)

I could see an expansion of #2 with Baxter's storyline. Mouser's robbing banks and blowing up buildings with Stockman doing it for fun etc. Something like that could work quite well now too..almost Dark Knight esque.
Lol sounds like an awesome Grandfather and yeah if City at War didnt exist it would be hard to put it into a movie, But did City at War release about the same time??????? or something??? If not im sure Laird/Eastman had the plot in mind about that time
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.