The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Hoaw do the new TMNT comics (IDW) compare to the OG comics (Mirage)?
Better 8 22.86%
Worse 12 34.29%
Just as Good 13 37.14%
Pet Bird Cage Liner 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior
 
TonySiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 638
How does the IDW series compare to the Mirage series?

Just as good? Underrated? Better? Worse? Discuss accordingly...
__________________



"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I voted "Worse", but that does not accurately reflect my views. Worse implies that it's bad, which it isn't at all!
It just doesn't compare to Mirage to me, nothing will. Still worth reading though, awesome art, possibly decent stories (too early to say, really).
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Much too soon to compare the two. Mirage has like 300+ stories to it's name, and in IDW the Turtles have yet to (as of #6) battle the MOUSERs, fight the Foot, confront Shredder, learn about Krang, meet April, hangout with Casey, go the Northampton, travel time, go to outer space, befriend Leatherhead, etc, etc.

Depending on how IDW handles these things will really affect my opinion on this version of TMNT. But so far, the art is great, the story is intriguing and I can tell the creative team really cares about what they're doing. And, as a bonus, Nickelodeon has yet to piss anyone off.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
I'm going to have to say better, because for the most part, I've consistantly enjoyed it more than I did Mirage.
While the premise itself was awesome, I always felt that characterization was weak and dialouge was stiff in the Mirage comics...
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Well I think Mirage #1-11 are the definitive TMNT comics being Eastman/Laird classics and all, but so far IDW is shaping up pretty good.

It is still waaaay too early for this. Ask again in 2-3 years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior
 
TonySiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 638
I'm really feeling the IDW comics definitely a breath of fresh air. IDW has the blessings of the original creators doesn't seem to be an overt cash grab situation. Still have to properly read the OG series (only read like 4 issues) to better analyze the two.

[if anyone knows how to edit the poll options PM me]
__________________



"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Much too soon to compare the two.
Mostly true, but they've lost points with me due to the colored masks and cartoon based personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
I'm going to have to say better, because for the most part, I've consistantly enjoyed it more than I did Mirage.
While the premise itself was awesome, I always felt that characterization was weak and dialouge was stiff in the Mirage comics...
6 issues in? Really now? You clearly did not read much of the Mirage series. I wouldn't be surprised if you're just saying that due to the masks...
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
I guess the difference is Mirage told whole stories in single issues, while IDW does not. For example:

Mirage #1 gave us the entire backstory, the first Foot Fight, the intro of Shredder and his death.

Mirage #2 introduced April, Baxter, the Mouser story, and April meeting the Turtles.


Meanwhile its taking IDW up to issue 8 to cover everything Mirage did in only 2 issues. I realize Mirage had 40 page books...but even then.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
The definitive Mirage stuff is definitely classic and some of the newer stuff is also pretty good! However, I felt like there was a lot of "fluff" in between all the super awesome stuff.

IDW is taking off at a much slower pace, but now they have a lot to draw from (including Mirage) and Kevin Eastman now has over 25 years of successes and mistakes to look back on when helping out with these new stories.

While Mirage can be pretty awesome when reading the right stories that have become the basis for so many other Turtles stories in other universes, I feel that IDW has a lot going for it in experience and openness to other interpretations that gives it the potential to become the best version of the Turtles comics.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
6 issues in? Really now? You clearly did not read much of the Mirage series. I wouldn't be surprised if you're just saying that due to the masks...
So I'm not allowed to not care for the Mirage comics?

I've read plenty of Mirage's turtles, actually. I'm just not going to sit here and act like they're the greatest thing in the world, because they're not. and the masks? I don't give two ***** about the masks. Even if you're going to keep crying about it every damn post you make, I'm done talking about the masks.
Considering IDW "lost points" with you because of that very reason, that's a pretty hypocritical assumption to make.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
I won't vote because there really should be a ''Too early to tell'' option. The classics that Eastman and Laird did, IMO, are the best out there. But that doesn't mean IDW ''sucks''. IDW is pulling from all of the turtle universes. So on the one hand it may be your perfect ''Frankenstein'', but to others it could just be a Monster.

I am enjoying IDW no doubt, but there are some things I kinda don't like. Like the masks and some personality traits. Only time will tell where this series stands when it's all said and done. But I'm optimistic.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I won't vote because there really should be a ''Too early to tell'' option. The classics that Eastman and Laird did, IMO, are the best out there. But that doesn't mean IDW ''sucks''. IDW is pulling from all of the turtle universes. So on the one hand it may be your perfect ''Frankenstein'', but to others it could just be a Monster.

I am enjoying IDW no doubt, but there are some things I kinda don't like. Like the masks and some personality traits. Only time will tell where this series stands when it's all said and done. But I'm optimistic.
Yeah I agree it too early to tell. Ive the first 19 issues of Mirage and loved them. It jst really hard to say. so far I think Mirage has been better through its first few, but damnt its so hard to chose
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
So I'm not allowed to not care for the Mirage comics?
Preferring IDW 6 issues in just seems like an outright insult to Mirage, to me.
Barely any ground's been tread, we're pretty much still in the origin...
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
We've had 8 issues, counting the micros.

Some folks just don't dig the old school, black and white Turtles as much as we harder core Mirage fans do, so to them - like Toby - the series may very well hold enough validity for them to conclude they like it better than Mirage.

Personally, I feel it's more of a harder version of Archie, but I do like the title. More importantly, I get to see the Turtles on the page again, and Tom is doing a good enough job with whatever edicts Nick has given him to want me to continue supporting IDW's TMNT comic efforts.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
I like the IDW series just as much as I like the 4Kids Series, and I liked the 4Kids Series just as much as I liked the Archie Series, and even then I liked the Archie Series just as much as the Fred Wolf Series, and if you hadn't guessed I liked the Fred Wolf Series just as much as the Mirage Series. Sprinkle the Image Series on top and I got a nice pile of TMNT goodness I can eat. You don't like onions? Then don't eat them. Just don't insult me when I dip mine in m&m's.

Enjoy life, breath air, peace, love, chicken grease.

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
Then don't eat them. Just don't insult me when I dip mine in m&m's.


-ms
Now that's just gross.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
I like the IDW series just as much as I like the 4Kids Series, and I liked the 4Kids Series just as much as I liked the Archie Series, and even then I liked the Archie Series just as much as the Fred Wolf Series, and if you hadn't guessed I liked the Fred Wolf Series just as much as the Mirage Series. Sprinkle the Image Series on top and I got a nice pile of TMNT goodness I can eat. You don't like onions? Then don't eat them. Just don't insult me when I dip mine in m&m's.

Enjoy life, breath air, peace, love, chicken grease.

-ms

You're plain awesome.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
^If only I could like this
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Now that's just gross.
I think you'll be okay here, they have a thin candy shell. 'Surprised you didn't know that.



-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior
 
Dirty Blond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 827
This may be a topic for another thread, but does anyone think the Turtles will return to their grittier roots?
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.