The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Logan
Hench Mutant
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 483
Nagi mentioned in original script?

I was reading the Mirage adaptation of the original film and got to the part where Splinter tells his story to Danny. Unlike the film, however, Nagi is mentioned as the rival to Hamato Yoshi. I'm assuming Kevin and Peter were working from an earlier draft of the script.

Here's some of the dialogue, straight from the comic:

"I was a pet of my master Yoshi, mimicking his movements from my cage and learning the mysterious art of ninjitsu-- for Yoshi was one of the finest shadow warriors of his clan. His only rival was a man named Oroku Nagi, and they competed in all things-- but none more fiercely than for the love of a woman, Tang Shen.

"One night, after Tang Shen confessed to Nagi that her love was only for my master, Nagi flew into a rage and began to beat her. Yoshi arrived just in time, but when the fight was over, Nagi lay dead.

"The clan's code of honor was clear: Yoshi must now take his own life. But my master felt he had done nothing wrong, and so decided to flee with Tang Shen-- and me-- to America. But Nagi left behind a younger brother, Oroku Saki, who vowed vengeance on my master. The boy fueled his training with hatred, and became the most feared ninja warrior in all Japan, honing his skills until he was ready to fulfill his vow."


Has anyone, Peter, Kevin, or those associated with the film made any comment about this? I can understand why they decided to amalgamate the two brothers from a story standpoint, but I'm curious if there was anything more to it.
__________________
We're a team; and as a team let's go kick some ass!

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
rufus
Stone Warrior
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville,Georgia
Posts: 780
Im not sure but I just asked Peter Laird about it on his blog.


His response
"If memory serves, there were some scenes in the movie script which never made it into the finished movie (and even a few which were filmed, but never made it into the movie). We were working from that script when we did the comic"
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/edgartooms
^TMNT Stopmotions.

Last edited by rufus; 02-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Uki
Hench Mutant
 
Uki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 337
Nifty! I never knew that, but then, I've never read that adaptation.
__________________
-Proud Member of the Turtle Whacks!
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I think to stream line the story it's just easier to make Saki the rival and eliminate Nagi.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Logan
Hench Mutant
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think to stream line the story it's just easier to make Saki the rival and eliminate Nagi.
Yeah, that was my thinking. Apart from the Mirage comic, Nagi is never mentioned in the Saki/Yoshi history of the other interpretations.
__________________
We're a team; and as a team let's go kick some ass!

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah, that was my thinking. Apart from the Mirage comic, Nagi is never mentioned in the Saki/Yoshi history of the other interpretations.
They had Yukio Mashimi in the 4kids show, he took over the Nagi role as far as the Shen story line goes.

Makes me wish they woulda named him Yukio Nagi or something though.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think to stream line the story it's just easier to make Saki the rival and eliminate Nagi.
It also makes Saki seem more evil.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
It was also in the movie novelization. I used to own the books (as in words with the occasional picture) for movie 1 and 2, which were kinda spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet... but also interesting for things that weren't shown in the movie. I remember the novel mentioned Nagi as well as the famous 'Leo fighting blindfolded' scene.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
What's odd is in the farm house scene, it's Raph that screams "SPLINTER!!" where in the movie it is just Raph's voice dubbed over Mikey.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think to stream line the story it's just easier to make Saki the rival and eliminate Nagi.
Indeed, as placing Saki in the romantic triangle simplfied things nicely. It also removed another death, as the Yoshi/Shen deaths were already intense on-screen, I think. And yet, it is a shame, as Nagi doesn't have much else going in the franchise beyond killing Shen and being killed himself to fuel Saki's revenge. It's a catch-22, at least to me.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Movie Krang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It was also in the movie novelization. I used to own the books (as in words with the occasional picture) for movie 1 and 2, which were kinda spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet... but also interesting for things that weren't shown in the movie. I remember the novel mentioned Nagi as well as the famous 'Leo fighting blindfolded' scene.
Isn't Krang in movie 1 novelization I read somewhere? I only have novelizations of movie 1 and 2, and they follow the movies more.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedenfan 1982 View Post
Isn't Krang in movie 1 novelization I read somewhere? I only have novelizations of movie 1 and 2, and they follow the movies more.
I used to have the novelizations and I've never come across any mention of Krang.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.