The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Mikey's Future?

Mikey is the only Turtle that hasn't received a lot of development in the "future-Turtle" stories. I haven't read all of Tales V.2, so I could be wrong, but didn't the other three get at least one future issue?

So what do you think happens to the finest of the bunch, Michelangelo? The more dark-minded would probably say something tragic happens to him, more light-minded might guess that they (Pete and Kevin, the writers at Mirage) just weren't sure what to do for him/they didn't get around to it.

I would like to say the latter, cause I don't wanna think of something tragic happening to Mikey...
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
I could be way off my feet here, but hasn't it been hinted that one of the brothers dies earlier on than the rest? Perhaps this is Mikey.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
"Odyssey."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Personally, I like to think that he never returned from outer space. He became a Star-Turtle, a warrior adventurer who sought out strange, alien worlds helping out those in need. Driven by a unknown urge to change the universe for the better, he hopped from planet to planet striving to put right whatever was wrong, and hoping each time that his next planet hop could be the hop home.

But I'll just wait and see what Andrew has planned with Odyssey!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
I hope he kills the Regenta a least.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist
 
FearlessLeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Watching Space Heroes
Posts: 1,048
I kind of think it would be cool if he like trains a whole new class of Triceratons and becomes like a legend.
__________________

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I like that theory, oldman. It has potential. Although I don't know if Mikey could just up and leave his family for good like that...doesn't seem like something he'd do readily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
I kind of think it would be cool if he like trains a whole new class of Triceratons and becomes like a legend.
Yeah, I second that.

I'm curious what you're writing for "Odyssey", Andrew.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
It's been hinted that Mike passes first and being often considered the "heart of the group" leads to the guys drifting apart and becoming estranged as time passes on.

We know Don and Leo were in contact up until Leo's 100th birthday (according to Tales), at the least.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
It's been hinted that Mike passes first and being often considered the "heart of the group" leads to the guys drifting apart and becoming estranged as time passes on.
It's definitely been hinted at, but nothing concrete. It might make the most sense specifically for Raphael's circumstances, if those are even "canon" or just "what ifs"...

Quote:
We know Don and Leo were in contact up until Leo's 100th birthday (according to Tales), at the least.
Are you talking about the Tales issue with Leo & Carnage? Cause Mikey's shown at her funeral there. If you're talking about another issue please fill me in!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I think Splinter foresaw that Michelangelo would have a shorter life than his brothers. In Tales 2.9 he initially scolded Mike for his compassion, a trait that he didn't believe boded well for Mikey's survival. However, Splinter realized that this "fault" of Mikey's was really a strength. He compared him to a flower on the bank of a river. Because it is closest to the water, it blooms the most beautifully, yet it will also be the first be to washed away when the river bank rises.

Splinter taught the turtles the skills they would need to survive in the world. But Mikey was not content with simply surviving life, he wanted to enjoy it too. Perhaps his life proved to be the most fulfilling of his brothers, even if it was the shortest.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Are you talking about the Tales issue with Leo & Carnage? Cause Mikey's shown at her funeral there. If you're talking about another issue please fill me in!
In the Tales issues with the 4 Leonardos of different ages, Leo says Don gave him his special katana on his 100th birthday.

Mikey is indeed shown in the Tales issue with Leo and Radical... Mike is at the funeral, but is this issue canon? And does the funeral take place before or after Vol. 4? Because maybe Mikey never came back from space... this is hinted in the Tales issue "A Day in the Life," when an old, bitter Raph wonders where Mikey is, and looks up at the stars. Could be he's dead instead.

In the frontispieces that Lawson (and, I think, Murphy??) created a few years ago for the TPB for the original Tales series, Don visits all his brothers in a hologram, and he seems to see them in reverse order of when they died (but this is my inference). Leo and Mike look pretty old and Raph still looks young. So maybe he dies first, which would make sense given his personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters
I think Splinter foresaw that Michelangelo would have a shorter life than his brothers. In Tales 2.9 he initially scolded Mike for his compassion, a trait that he didn't believe boded well for Mikey's survival. However, Splinter realized that this "fault" of Mikey's was really a strength. He compared him to a flower on the bank of a river. Because it is closest to the water, it blooms the most beautifully, yet it will also be the first be to washed away when the river bank rises.
Man, that makes me want to cry.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Genesis
Stone Warrior
 
Genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I think Splinter foresaw that Michelangelo would have a shorter life than his brothers. In Tales 2.9 he initially scolded Mike for his compassion, a trait that he didn't believe boded well for Mikey's survival. However, Splinter realized that this "fault" of Mikey's was really a strength. He compared him to a flower on the bank of a river. Because it is closest to the water, it blooms the most beautifully, yet it will also be the first be to washed away when the river bank rises.

Splinter taught the turtles the skills they would need to survive in the world. But Mikey was not content with simply surviving life, he wanted to enjoy it too. Perhaps his life proved to be the most fulfilling of his brothers, even if it was the shortest.
In a weird way, I think it wholly suits Michelangelo's character to be the first to die.

Come to think of it, Mike referenced this himself in "Notes from the Underground, Part 1," when he said that the guy who freaks out - Mikey - dies first/never makes it.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Its a shame that we may never get to see Mike gets his revenge on the Regenta for leaving him in prison. I just really wish he would use the chains of his nunchucks to choke Regenta and snap her neck.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Man, that makes me want to cry.
Totally.

I asked PL on his blog if he or Kevin ever had plans for Mikey's future, and I got a very welcoming and much happier response than many here are suggesting -

Quote:
Did you or Kevin ever have plans concerning what happens to Mikey in the future? It seems like the other three Turtles got "future" spotlight in Tales or in the main title, but Mikey's was slim.

I think we did discuss Mike's future a little bit, and if I am remembering correctly, he became a sitcom writer in Hollywood.

No, seriously. -- PL
A sitcom writer in Hollywood? Awesome! Made possible by their public outing in V. 4.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its a shame that we may never get to see Mike gets his revenge on the Regenta for leaving him in prison. I just really wish he would use the chains of his nunchucks to choke Regenta and snap her neck.
That's awfully dark
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed
Its a shame that we may never get to see Mike gets his revenge on the Regenta for leaving him in prison. I just really wish he would use the chains of his nunchucks to choke Regenta and snap her neck.
I can't see Mike doing that... maybe telling her off and humiliating her and unleashing the Triceraton army on her Styracadon army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie
A sitcom writer in Hollywood? Awesome! Made possible by their public outing in V. 4.
Haha! Man I think that seems a little dumb after everything Mikey's been through. I liked his running of an orphanage in the future issues of Archie.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwamu The Kappa View Post
That's awfully dark
For Mirage Mike? I don't know, Regenta clearly used him and tricked him into thinking she liked him.

Considering Mike wants to wage war against the entirely Styracodon race for this, seeing him use his nunchucks to kill the Regenta would be ideal.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
Uki
Hench Mutant
 
Uki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 337
Wow, I'm so far behind on my Volume 4 and Tales stuff... Any hints on how I can catch up?
__________________
-Proud Member of the Turtle Whacks!
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Laird
I think we did discuss Mike's future a little bit, and if I am remembering correctly, he became a sitcom writer in Hollywood.

No, seriously. -- PL
Is this worked into Odyssey?

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
For those who haven't read it, a little while back I plotted out chronologically all of the Mirage TMNT future stories:

The future of the Mirage TMNT.

Mikey's only future appearance was a one panel cameo in "Swan Song", during the segment that takes place when Leo (and thus his brothers) are middle aged.

Mikey is never seen beyond that (save for as a hologram created by Don's computer, Chet). He is mentioned in "A Day in the Life" rather cryptically; as Raph looks to the stars, he wonders where Mikey could be.

In response to my future timeline, author Dan Berger (who wrote "A Day in the Life") had this to say:

Quote:
(14) Raph’s words about Mikey indicate he’s either lost or dead, a mystery that is never resolved, as future-Mikey is never physically seen again after this point.

That I left completely up in the air because at the time I wrote #55, I had no idea what Peter's plans for Mikey were - he was still in space with the Triceratons at the time (which is why I put in the starry sky ending - in case Peter decided to leave him out there).
That's all we know about Mikey's future. Its clear he did come back from his space adventure with the Triceratons given his appearance in "Swan Song", though Raph's cryptic and ominous dialogue would imply he left again and never returned.

...Or maybe he became a sitcom writer. Hell if I know.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.