The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Fifth Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago sewer
Posts: 2,488
Comic book pressing service?

Well I recently sealed a deal for a TMNT vol. 1 #1 first printing from fellow dromer: the power of 3. I was considering sending the book off to be pressed. I was looking at this site:

http://www.comicpressing.com

So on to the point of this thread......As someone who has nevered used such a site/ service I have to ask:

1) Is it worth it?
2) Has anyone on here used it? If so what kind of results did you get and are you happy with them?
3) What exactly is the process of pressing?
4) Is the site I linked any good? Is there one you would suggest?

Please help a pressing virgin out and answer my questions! Or post any other viable info or maybe some before and after pics.

Last edited by The Fifth Turtle; 04-28-2012 at 10:12 PM.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Nintendophile
Foot Soldier
 
Nintendophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 198
I would suggest going right to the source and sending it to the CGC. They'll grade it and encapsulate it for you all at once. Info about the process here: http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/

:::EDIT::: My mistake, it seems the web site you linked to, "Comic Book Pressing", is an entirely separate service, where they "refurbish" slight imperfections/wrinkling of pages. I was equating "pressing" with "encapsulating". Two totally different things. At any rate, if you'd like the comic just encapsulated, and not pressed, I'd still recommend the CGC, as they're the pros that do that all day, every day.

Last edited by Nintendophile; 04-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Nintendophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Fifth Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago sewer
Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendophile View Post
I would suggest going right to the source and sending it to the CGC. They'll grade it and encapsulate it for you all at once. Info about the process here: http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/
Well yeah I know. Im not really interested in getting it graded. Im seeing if this is a worth while procedure to improve the overall condition/grade. From what little I know about the CGC, Im not aware of any pressing service they offer. I thought they just grade and encapsulate books.

*edit- just read your edit- no prob

Last edited by The Fifth Turtle; 04-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
USArmyParatrooper
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
Well I recently sealed a deal for a TMNT vol. 1 #1 first printing from fellow dromer: the power of 3. I was considering sending the book off to be pressed. I was looking at this site:

http://www.comicpressing.com

So on to the point of this thread......As someone who has nevered used such a site/ service I have to ask:

1) Is it worth it?
2) Has anyone on here used it? If so what kind of results did you get and are you happy with them?
3) What exactly is the process of pressing?
4) Is the site I linked any good? Is there one you would suggest?

Please help a pressing virgin out and answer my questions! Or post any other viable info or maybe some before and after pics.
Whether or not it's worth it depends on the type of defects your comic has and the value of the grade bump. Pressing does not automatically mean you will get a grade bump. Some comics will get huge grade bumps, and others will get none at all. For a first print of TMNT 1, any grade bump would be "worth it" from a value standpoint.

Keep in mind pressing is controversial. CGC does NOT consider pressing to be "restoration" so it won't hurt the value of your comic (if done right!). Others frown upon it, since you're making improvements to the comic.

Pressing is as it sounds. Heat, pressure and humidity is applied to the comic to "press" out structural flaws such as wrinkles, folds, spine ticks, spine rolls, etc. If any of those defects break color those color breaks will remain.

Personally I don't have a problem with it since it doesn't take away, or add to the comic like other forms of "improvements," such as trimming, adding pieces, color touch, glue, etc. To me it's analogous of having a door ding on a classic car that doesn't chip the paint. The ding can be pressed out and you still have the original sheet metal, the original paint and you've improved the condition. But the same cannot be true if you use bondo and paint.

I've used pressing a couple times with success. I highly recommend Joey from the CGC message board.

http://boards.collectors-society.com...file&User=6298
[email protected]

He has an impeccable reputation. He does fantastic work at great prices and a very quick turnaround time. He will also submit it to CGC for you, and he lives close enough to drop it off himself.

If you decide to use him let him know "USArmyParatrooper" referred you. But just so it's clear, I receive nothing for the referral and I have no vested interest.
USArmyParatrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Fifth Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago sewer
Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper View Post
Whether or not it's worth it depends on the type of defects your comic has and the value of the grade bump. Pressing does not automatically mean you will get a grade bump. Some comics will get huge grade bumps, and others will get none at all. For a first print of TMNT 1, any grade bump would be "worth it" from a value standpoint.

Keep in mind pressing is controversial. CGC does NOT consider pressing to be "restoration" so it won't hurt the value of your comic (if done right!). Others frown upon it, since you're making improvements to the comic.

Pressing is as it sounds. Heat, pressure and humidity is applied to the comic to "press" out structural flaws such as wrinkles, folds, spine ticks, spine rolls, etc. If any of those defects break color those color breaks will remain.

Personally I don't have a problem with it since it doesn't take away, or add to the comic like other forms of "improvements," such as trimming, adding pieces, color touch, glue, etc. To me it's analogous of having a door ding on a classic car that doesn't chip the paint. The ding can be pressed out and you still have the original sheet metal, the original paint and you've improved the condition. But the same cannot be true if you use bondo and paint.

I've used pressing a couple times with success. I highly recommend Joey from the CGC message board.

http://boards.collectors-society.com...file&User=6298
[email protected]

He has an impeccable reputation. He does fantastic work at great prices and a very quick turnaround time. He will also submit it to CGC for you, and he lives close enough to drop it off himself.

If you decide to use him let him know "USArmyParatrooper" referred you. But just so it's clear, I receive nothing for the referral and I have no vested interest.
Thanks for the info dude. I wasnt really sure about the process. Thanks for clearing it up!
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.