The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Would you read an IDW Tales of the TMNT Multiverse

Something that came up in the movie thread was how would that script work as a "Elseworlds" tale...well why couldn't IDW do an Elseworld imprint where they could:
A. Tell brand new "guest artist" stories that are outside IDW continuity.
and
B. Tell new stories from existing universes, like maybe Archie's Forever War, or the final issues of Image or Vol 4.

What do you guys think?

Hey, Bobby, any chance of this coming to light?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
With the exception of "Soul's Winter," I don't think I've ever enjoyed an elseworld TMNT story.

Even the Superhero Turtles from Volume 4 and that one Tales issue weren't particularly good stories. And I don't think I have to mention the awful Mark Martin and TomMcWeeny crap.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Have you read the 4 Turtle Soup anthologies?

I think the biggest plus for me, would be going back to the Mirage, Archie, or Image universes.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think the biggest plus for me, would be going back to the Mirage, Archie, or Image universes.
Well if that's what you have in mind, they might as well just be stand-alone specials. The Image series only needs #24 and 25 to be officially published, Archie just needs The Forever War....and Mirage should just complete Tristan's Gang Wars story besides Volume 4.

Elseworld Tales is usually stuff in a completely separate continuity in a bizarro world dimension.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I know, I just figured calling it Tales of the Multiverse would allow for BOTH.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Going back to Mirage? ICK.

Just make a book where the turtles are communists and call it a day.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Going back to Mirage? ICK.

Just make a book where the turtles are communists and call it a day.
THE Stryker? Wow...at least you're enjoying yourself, I suppose.

As for Jester's original idea, I think it'd be great to have a sort of "Tales" concerning the IDW TMNT. Although I would think the IDW TMNT are taken care of through the micro issues, it would be awesome to see IDW continue on some out-of-IDW material, yeah. I don't think they'd do it though; Bobby & co. are very humble guys, they probably don't believe they should write an end or elaborate on someone else's TMNT story (although they definitely could!)
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Going back to Mirage? ICK.
You don't even read the IDW book...

Stay out of the comic book section please. It's the one part of this forum that is mostly asshole and idiot free.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 574
I would be all about something like this. As much as everybody gripes about the Out of Continuity adventures that were Mirage 22-44 I think it was really cool to see other interpretations of the characters in various situations. What I really enjoyed was the various artist interpretations on the Turtles.

One of my favorite things ever is the original Turtle Soup which was just a beautiful anthology. As ridiculous as stories like "In The Army" are, I let it slide because I know its just a standalone story that doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the main story.

The coolest thing about the out of continuity stuff is that the Turtles are still very true to the character's that have been developed. I would love to see a new book where you can have these character's we know and love in new stand alone situations, that don't necessarily have to have any bearing outside of themselves. In the end it would just mean more turtles.

The best part would probably be that each book would probably have a beginning, a middle, and an end.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Genesis
Stone Warrior
 
Genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Stay out of the comic book section please. It's the one part of this forum that is mostly asshole and idiot free.
That's a tall order. It is Stryker we're talking about. Anything serious is beyond him.

While I think this would be a very interesting and ambitious idea, I'd say we're more likely to receive an in-universe Tales than something that explores other realms in the Multiverse.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You don't even read the IDW book...

Stay out of the comic book section please. It's the one part of this forum that is mostly asshole and idiot free.
I do! I just got through the second trade. I actually like it.

Whateva. I post where I want! Yes The Stryker. Thank you for noticing random person.

But I digress.

An elseworlds book would be interesting but I don't think the revisiting old continuity thing is a good idea for people that aren't super super deep into the comics world. It requires a pretty steep level of entry that sorta negates the point of elseworldish one shots.

It's more of a What If book idea but even then those are more about alternate outcomes to big known storylines. That would be kinda cool actually. What if The Shredder raised the turtles. Crazy ish like that.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@

Last edited by The Stryker; 08-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior
 
Lordmylar06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 961
I think mini-series would be fine on their own, like "Gang Wars" "The Forever War" and even the Image conclusion.
I wouldn't be against a "Tales of the Multiverse" book, but I would suggest separating those conclusions from the book because they're pre-established. Then maybe kicking a multiverse book off after those mini series were done.
I would also think it would be cool to see newer content that related to older TMNT universes.
Yes, there are some iterations I could go without, but with a book like that, I'd be willing to take the stuff not so aligned with what I wanted, just to see more of what I do like.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
I do! I just got through the second trade. I actually like it.

Whateva. I post where I want! Yes The Stryker. Thank you for noticing random person.

But I digress.

An elseworlds book would be interesting but I don't think the revisiting old continuity thing is a good idea for people that aren't super super deep into the comics world. It requires a pretty steep level of entry that sorta negates the point of elseworldish one shots.
It's not difficult to revisit old continuity in manners that wouldn't require any sort of vast knowledge of said continuity. It's called good writing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
At first I was a little skeptical, but then I thought it might be a really fun idea! The first few issues could be the long-awaited "Forever War" storyarc, then the following issue could have someone write about what happens to the 4Kids TMNT and their New York after they've returned from Turtle Prime at the end of Turtles Forever.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Tales are meant to be episodic contributions within a universe and I view them as glorified fanfics with the standards of a canon issue. But when we combine it to be for the multiverse, its the comic book equivalent to free verse poetry, and can lead to experimentation for future canon ideas. Now that the multiverse is large enough to make it feasible, we can reveal lots more revelations than ever. As long as it doesn't cut back on the main canon like Tales Vol. 2 did to Vol. 4, I'm all for it since it just means more TMNT for us!
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Genesis
Stone Warrior
 
Genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
What if The Shredder raised the turtles.
Come to think of it, I'm surprised that no one has ever really explored that possibility. I mean, we've even seen a nice-guy Shredder from another dimension. Seems more reasonable that we'd see the Turtles raised by the bad guy than that.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
I like the idea,but if the storyline going on is in relation to one of the two universes I don't like namely Image and Next Mutation, I will not read it. My LCS only gets in Ninja Turtles stuff if it is ordered specifically by a patron. It would be hard to read solcits and then go in and say I want #1-3 but don't want 4-5 because it focuses on a less than interesting version. Then say, "I will let you know when the solcits for six come out if it covers a version I like and how many issues are in that arc". It seems messy,but if we get something like Forever War or a satisfying final battle with Shredder and Krang,The Shredder War,etc. then I am all for it its just messy with the ordering. Of course its all hypothetical.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
I do! I just got through the second trade. I actually like it.

Whateva. I post where I want! Yes The Stryker. Thank you for noticing random person.

But I digress.

An elseworlds book would be interesting but I don't think the revisiting old continuity thing is a good idea for people that aren't super super deep into the comics world. It requires a pretty steep level of entry that sorta negates the point of elseworldish one shots.

It's more of a What If book idea but even then those are more about alternate outcomes to big known storylines. That would be kinda cool actually. What if The Shredder raised the turtles. Crazy ish like that.
That's true, but there are ways to address that, such as re-releasing those issues prior, similar to how Mirage published the Future Tense trade as a precursor to the (at the time) upcoming Forever War story. Hopefully without the printing errors though...

Or it could just be released as one big trade that includes the conclusion. That would definitely entice those who already own the issues to buy it for the "bonus content."

And I'm sure there are other means, but those are the ones off the top of my head.
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I like the idea,but if the storyline going on is in relation to one of the two universes I don't like namely Image and Next Mutation, I will not read it.
You won't be missed.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I'd love the sh*t out of it.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.