The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
Nick involvement with IDW

I started thinking about this after a brief talk in another thread. Instead of derailing that thread I'd thought I'd make my own about the topic as to keep the conversation in one location. What I'd like to talk about is Nick's involvement with the IDW title. Tom and Bobby have both said they have to get things cleared by Nick first before they are allowed to do story arches and character changes.

Now this leads to the question of how much say Nick truly has in IDWs take on the TMNT. Nick is the owner of the property and are leasing the rights to IDW. Does this mean Nick can squish anything that they don't like? Can they force IDW to put certain things into stories because they want it there?

I'm honestly curious on what that relationship is like. I know there are some here who worry when the new cartoon hits that the IDW title will start to reflect it more and more. I'm curious if that is a just assumption. I mean to me it would have maken more sense if that was the plan along that they would have been working it in as the story progressed. From what we know it seems quite different then what IDW is doing.

What are your guys thoughts on it?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
It makes sense that Nick would want to approve anything with their name on it, especially a huge property like TMNT. I would hope it's just a precaution.

But who knows? It's too early to tell which will be more successful, the cartoon or the comic - perhaps the comic could end up influencing the cartoon some day. And either one, or both of them could impact the film.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,809
It's already confirmed that IDW has to send in every script to Nick for approval before they can go ahead and publish an issue.

Be thankful Nick allows some violence and cursing in the comic as well as more mature stories.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
let's say you own a tree... and you hired me to build you a tree-house. after a while... you see that the one you built is a more successful and better looking (in your eyes) tree-house. all the kids love your tree house... while only a few like mine. odds are you'd want me to build the tree-house the same way as you did or make some changes to it to match yours to ensure that same success. sure... you can say "no... it's ok as long as some people like it." but when people start paying you for YOUR tree-house and you're raking in serious cash... things change.

when it's not your property you're dealing with... you're subject to whatever the owner wants. unless it's written somewhere that the owner can't interfere with the story.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's already confirmed that IDW has to send in every script to Nick for approval before they can go ahead and publish an issue.

Be thankful Nick allows some violence and cursing in the comic as well as more mature stories.
That has been established. What I'm wondering is how much say they really have. How much do Tom and company have to toe the line.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
That has been established. What I'm wondering is how much say they really have. How much do Tom and company have to toe the line.
Considering how much they let him change already, reincarnation, use of all the OT characters, I say a lot.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 2,235
Well done Old Hob, this deserve a thread on its own.
I just copy and paste what I've already said on other topics:

(Talking about Don's gap tooth on Santolouco's cover for Secret history of the Foot clan #1)..
Quote:
..this is not good, really not good, I hate this kind of thing. Nickelodeon putting IDW under pressure trying to make the comics similar to the show is one of the few things that could put the comics' future at risk and convince me to stop buying it.

This is where Mirage was different: they were indipendent, they were playing with their own toy.
And more in another thread:
Quote:
We just hope Nickelodeon won't start to put MORE pressure and reduce the freedom of the artists involved. I guess this is what Lampy was trying to say and is what I meant with my first post.

I know that Nick HAS BEEN checking IDW's work since the beginning and that's ok, they are doing well letting IDW a good amount of freedom. Here's hoping they just don't start to suddenly get annoying. So far they've done well.
So, there is nothing alarming so far.. but Don's teeth on that cover.. not a good sign, I guess.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
That has been established. What I'm wondering is how much say they really have. How much do Tom and company have to toe the line.
I think the approval process is more about telling them what they can't do than telling them what they have to do. I really don't think there's any of Nickelodeon telling them what to do with the book. Not the current one, at least. Once IDW starts doing a book tied to the new series, then maybe they will.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
nickelodeon has total control of the property and can do what they want with it... it's like asking laird what couldn't he do back when he still owned the property. they had to ask him for approval first. it may seem like all they're doing now is just giving the ok's and no's... only because maybe they see that it's doing perfectly fine on its own... but i think that should they decide to make changes, they'd have no problem doing it.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
I'm more curious to know who this "omnipotent approval committee" is and consists of. A bunch of suits sitting around a table, or a couple of people designated with "editorial oversight" or what have you?
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm more curious to know who this "omnipotent approval committee" is and consists of. A bunch of suits sitting around a table, or a couple of people designated with "editorial oversight" or what have you?
I'm also curious about this. Especially as I've actually agreed with most, if not all, of the comments I'm aware of them making regarding art.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
That is something I've been wondering about too. Who is it at Nick who is making the calls in regards to the TMNT. Is it a comity or a single person, and are they TMNT fans?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
^ question of the decade. i wish we knew...
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
That is something I've been wondering about too. Who is it at Nick who is making the calls in regards to the TMNT. Is it a comity or a single person, and are they TMNT fans?
It's probably a bunch of white guys in suits.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
I don't remember where I read or heard this, but didn't someone from IDW say that it was actually Nickelodeon's idea for Raphael to start off seperated from the rest of the gang? From what I remember it was suggested by Nick to give reason behind Raph's somewhat rough and independent nature and his close friendship with Casey.

Did I dream this or something or can someone back me up on this? If I heard this right, then that gives a pretty good insight into what sort of things Nick suggests in their control over the comic storyline.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
I don't remember where I read or heard this, but didn't someone from IDW say that it was actually Nickelodeon's idea for Raphael to start off seperated from the rest of the gang? From what I remember it was suggested by Nick to give reason behind Raph's somewhat rough and independent nature and his close friendship with Casey.

Did I dream this or something or can someone back me up on this? If I heard this right, then that gives a pretty good insight into what sort of things Nick suggests in their control over the comic storyline.

Tom said this at the start of the year.

I was one who originally asked who exactly runs TMNT?Well,we know the presient of the animation department that was lDW go at the end of last month lead the concepts behind the new show.Though would the person in that post now also look at the comic scripts?

I hope Mr.Waltz replies to this thread.He would have the answer we're all looking for. Or atleast tell us what we are permitted to know.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
It's always a little scary to consider a beloved property that was once independent, initially fueled solely by creative drive, and see it passed on to a more corporate entity, who probably have financial gain a little higher in their priorities.

Still, it's always good to have a steady head on your shoulders and to remember what you don't know. Presumptions on an "evil corporate machine" are just a means for us to alleviate our own paranoid fears. The reality is most likely that those at Nick have both people who care about TMNT, and those who want to make it a money-making success. The two aren't incongruous. I see people say that Nick forced the mask change, or Don's gap. While I'm not a fan of either, it is also wholly possible that there are people who may genuinely want to incorporate those things on their own. I'm okay with people casting reasonable suspicions, but I don't like seeing a select few state opinions as facts, especially when it's just an emotional reaction to something they don't like, because that is how misinformation gets spread. We have enough real things to worry about.

In the end, it's best to remember that most of us will likely never know what goes on behind the scenes, so we may as well have a good and optimistic attitude about it, unless forced otherwise. For now, IDW is doing a great job, not only with the series, but with their transparency and communication, and we should all be thankful, not making frantic accusations of Nick-meddling. They've so far given us more reason to have faith than to doubt.

As for the actual process, I'd guess that Nick doesn't have much part in the creative process. They just approve of things so that IDW doesn't go crazy for whatever reason. They seem to have a good relationship, so most likely they don't clash on much. It's not unlike the relationship of a writer and an editor.
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
It's important to remember that if IDW TMNT did something controversial, it would fall back on Nickelodeon. It would be foolish not to check behind something that has your name, and thus your reputation, riding on it.

And, honestly, who's to say that people at IDW wouldn't be just as likely, or more likely to make a terrible decision than Nickelodeon?
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
chrisdude I wish there was a like button on here. Very well put.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
It's important to remember that if IDW TMNT did something controversial, it would fall back on Nickelodeon. It would be foolish not to check behind something that has your name, and thus your reputation, riding on it.

And, honestly, who's to say that people at IDW wouldn't be just as likely, or more likely to make a terrible decision than Nickelodeon?
you have a point there...
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
idw, nick


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.