The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
The Foot as a military organization

Ok, in response to a post I made over in another thread, one aspect about the new film people seem to be against is the presentation of the Foot Clan as a military organization. Well, that might not be as far-feteched as some people think.

Ok, let's see, Ninjas/Shinobi, who were esentially the Sengoku period's version of silent commados who rely on thier stealth, and people want them to run around the modern world, with it's modern weapons, in old Kabuki costumes instead of protective bulletproof armor, and weilding only feudal era weapons with no guns or modern weaponry, despite the fact that's what modern ninjas would probably do?

A modern ninja clan, if such a thing could plausably exist in the present, would esentially be a group of mercanaries- private solders for hire. Ninjas would not be using archaic tequines and weapons, but would be fully eqiupped with any weapon, modern or archaic, that would get the job done. Guns with silencers, light armors that are bulletproof, night vision goggles- a person would be hard pressed to see a difference between black ops commandos and modern ninjas- think Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. Sure, maybe they have Katanas (Do not mention ninjatos to me) or other old meelee weapons if the mission calls for them, but why do so many fans have to have trained martial artists running around in bug-eyed pajamas?
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 05-08-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Blah blah blah. People don't dislike it because it's not ninja like, they dislike it because it deviates from every single version of the foot EVER- Traditional ninjas (or robots, if you want).
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Blah blah blah. People don't dislike it because it's not ninja like, they dislike it because it deviates from every single version of the foot EVER- Traditional ninjas (or robots, if you want).
^ Pretty much this. I'd rather have The Foot "running around in bug-eyed pajamas" than as some millitary ops team.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
1984TMNT
Stone Warrior
 
1984TMNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 566
Why does this thread have "spoilers" in the label? There is nothing spolierish about this - unless you are stating that you have credible knowledge on the script being used?
__________________
Try to rely on YOUR, Turtle Power!

1984TMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior
 
Bmaga123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984TMNT View Post
Why does this thread have "spoilers" in the label? There is nothing spolierish about this - unless you are stating that you have credible knowledge on the script being used?
Was thinking the same thing myself
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
1984TMNT
Stone Warrior
 
1984TMNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
^ Pretty much this. I'd rather have The Foot "running around in bug-eyed pajamas" than as some millitary ops team.
I agree (though I wouldn't be completely revolted by a more military style look for the foot clan). The traditional ninja look could be plausible if they are running around at night blending into the shadows....not to mention they could still be wearing bullet proof vests under those, if needed. With that said, the need to wear such protective gear would certainly depend on what types of crimes they were committing as well as who their enemies were and what weapons they used, no?
__________________
Try to rely on YOUR, Turtle Power!

1984TMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
There are some people who would complain about bringing up the leaked script without a spoiler tag.

Don't get me wrong, I think the classic look is amazing, but I think it could be militarily updated. There is nothing wrong with a foot carrying a gun, instead of using ninjas stars. Or bulletproof armor under thier outfit.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
1984TMNT
Stone Warrior
 
1984TMNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 566
I think it's safe to say that the old leaked script is not what's being used here (at least not anything close to the same). So, no need to label this as a spoiler thread. Instead, it's giving off the impression that there is confirmation in the new movie that the foot clan is a military organization, which hasn't been confirmed or denied. Just my 2 cents
__________________
Try to rely on YOUR, Turtle Power!

1984TMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
I agree, though I can't seem to edit it.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I agree, though I can't seem to edit it.
Go to edit, then click the advanced tab. Lots of people seem to not know about that feature, but it allows you to edit titles, or even delete the thread if you so desire.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
A modern ninja clan, if such a thing could plausably exist in the present, would esentially be a group of mercanaries- private solders for hire. Ninjas would not be using archaic tequines and weapons, but would be fully eqiupped with any weapon, modern or archaic, that would get the job done.
Let's not get started on realism. If you want modern equivalents of Ninja, you're brushing a lot closer to that with the Turtles disguising themselves as construction workers in Corporate Raiders from Dimension X or Danny Pennington telling the Shredder where the Turtles were hiding out in the first movie than you ever would be some sort of commando team raiding a place and taking it by force with any sort of weaponry whether it be old or new.

Realism aside, why are you making it sound like it's wrong for fans to want a general degree of faithfulness in translating stereotypical comic book ninja from the pages to the screen?

If you're down with realism, though, check out this book. It's really good.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendamu View Post
Let's not get started on realism. If you want modern equivalents of Ninja, you're brushing a lot closer to that with the Turtles disguising themselves as construction workers in Corporate Raiders from Dimension X or Danny Pennington telling the Shredder where the Turtles were hiding out in the first movie than you ever would be some sort of commando team raiding a place and taking it by force with any sort of weaponry whether it be old or new.

Realism aside, why are you making it sound like it's wrong for fans to want a general degree of faithfulness in translating stereotypical comic book ninja from the pages to the screen?

If you're down with realism, though, check out this book. It's really good.
Yes, for disguise missions. I was the one who had argued in another thread that ninjas were more spies and saboteours than assasins. (History major with Asian studies focus here)

I'm not demanding realism, nor am I saying that the tradtional outfits shouldn't be used. I am simply arguing against the purely sterotypical potrayal, in favor of something more of a combination of the two. Again, Snake Eyes combines the best of Modern Commando, yet evoke the traditional view of the ninja. I don't see anything wrong with a fictional ninja using a gun with his Katana, or grenades with his smoke bombs.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 05-08-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
It doesn't bother me. The robots from the cartoon didn't bother me. The thuggish runaway teens from the movie didn't bother me. The military soldiers from the script didn't bother me. The way they look in the set photos looks fine to me (Even though they do look low-budget).

And I concur with the general notion of Panda's post, though I know nothing about ninjas.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Thanks Chrisdude, and thanks Powder for the edit info. And the whole point of this post was speaking up in defense of the military designs of the outfits in the pictures. Military makes sense for an urban mission.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Yes, for disguise missions. I was the one who had argued in another thread that ninjas were more spies and saboteours than assasins. (History major with Asian studies focus here)

I'm not demanding realism, nor am I saying that the tradtional outfits shouldn't be used. I am simply arguing against the purely sterotypical potrayal, in favor of something more of a combination of the two. Again, Storm Shadow combines the best of Modern Commando, yet evoke the traditional view of the ninja. I don't see anything wrong with a fictional ninja using a gun with his Katana, or grenades with his smoke bombs.
Modern explosives, if going for realism, I see explosives as a gray area. Outright assault weapons are a different matter to me when it comes to ninja.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
I have no problem with them using guns, and those 'foot soldiers' we saw in the trailer had guns. I think this might be at least one subgroup of the foot's outfit; military-esque fatigues with 'anonomuys'-influenced face masks.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,405
In other words... in a movie which will almost undoubtedly feature Krang and Technodromes and Dimension X and other Fred Wolf wackiness, the producers are really that concerned about making sure the Foot ninjas are appropriately modernized and realistic despite not looking like any sort of ninjas we have ever seen in any TMNT media (or any media, period, really) or would expect to see?

Look, we all know how Bay likes his military guys and military-esque battles... I don't think we need to look much deeper than that into things. "How can we get the military involved in the TMNT movie??" "Well, there is a Foot Clan with Foot SOLDIERS... maybe we can do something there..."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In other words... in a movie which will almost undoubtedly feature Krang and Technodromes and Dimension X and other Fred Wolf wackiness, the producers are really that concerned about making sure the Foot ninjas are appropriately modernized and realistic despite not looking like any sort of ninjas we have ever seen in any TMNT media (or any media, period, really) or would expect to see?

Look, we all know how Bay likes his military guys and military-esque battles... I don't think we need to look much deeper than that into things. "How can we get the military involved in the TMNT movie??" "Well, there is a Foot Clan with Foot SOLDIERS... maybe we can do something there..."
Not arguing that. Merely pointing out that ninjas in military fatigues isn't as far fetched as people make it out to be. Again, not arguing for realisim, this is a movie. These particular ninjas, in this particular film, probably are a result of Bay's love of military.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
I don't see why traditional ninjas can't work, Batman Begins and GI Joe did it.

Last edited by Xav; 05-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I don't see why traditional ninjas can't work, Batman Begins did it.
The league of assasins wore traditional ninja gear and weilded traditional weapons in other parts of the world, but during the final battle in gotham they were wearing army-esque outfits, and weilding modern weapons
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.