The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
shreddinghead
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
April O'Neil another plain jane?

From a purely aestetic perspective considering it's a cartoon character were talking about. Would April O'Neil just be an other plain face in the crowd if she didn't doll herself up with her pink lipstick and eyeliner?



I was watching the episode 'foot soldiers are revolting' recently, and i came over this, and it seems this is April's face without any makeup on, and i don't see her face that cute. Is it possible April is just another plain jane when it comes down to it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,809
That episode had terrible animation, of course she's going to look worse.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
I blame the animators not her makeup artist.

Cipher: I don't know why that gif is so hilarious.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Vivi
Mad Scientist
 
Vivi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ninja HQ, Moon
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
couldn't have said it better.
__________________
"I can't believe this place...it's all so horrible."
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Storm Eagle
Saved by
 
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddinghead View Post
From a purely aestetic perspective considering it's a cartoon character were talking about. Would April O'Neil just be an other plain face in the crowd if she didn't doll herself up with her pink lipstick and eyeliner?



I was watching the episode 'foot soldiers are revolting' recently, and i came over this, and it seems this is April's face without any makeup on, and i don't see her face that cute. Is it possible April is just another plain jane when it comes down to it?
That's just a bad shot. In fact, the most unattractive still shot of April I've ever seen. I don't find it to be anything uncommon since I've seen that happen even with the women who aesthetically stand out to me the most, and they're most likely wearing makeup.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
What the hell? Who cares? Stop fawning over a cartoon character.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
wouldn't most non-metahuman characters be a "plain face" in a huge crowd.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
OT April is probably the least attractive version of her (although I never found Judith Hoag sexy either, personally). Not that OT April is ugly, as she isn't, but it's more that she isn't as striking as Mirage, 4kids, Paige Turco etc.

I'm omitting younger versions of April in this assessment (e.g. the teenage Nick April), as a 31 year old man drooling over a flat-chested 16 year old female cartoon character on an internet forum is all sorts of wrong and breaks all manner of taboos.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Zachatello00
On the beat!
 
Zachatello00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hiding behind the phone booth
Posts: 2,132
This whole forum has gotten really weird lately...
__________________
"You're still news!"
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
OT April is probably the least attractive version of her (although I never found Judith Hoag sexy either, personally). Not that OT April is ugly, as she isn't, but it's more that she isn't as striking as Mirage, 4kids, Paige Turco etc.

I'm omitting younger versions of April in this assessment (e.g. the teenage Nick April), as a 31 year old man drooling over a flat-chested 16 year old female cartoon character on an internet forum is all sorts of wrong and breaks all manner of taboos.
April is anything but flat chested, but okay...
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
April is anything but flat chested, but okay...
Not that bad for a 16 year old, but if you consider Nick April voluptuous then I'd have to disagree, I'm afraid.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
(although I never found Judith Hoag sexy either, personally)
Personally, I think she looks pretty good for her age:
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Personally, I think she looks pretty good for her age:
Yeah I saw some of Nashville recently. I must admit she's much more suited to being a MILF than a sexy young thing. She does look quite good for her age, but as April in 1990 she was in that awkward phase - she looked far older than 21/22 (her real age at the time) but she had yet to mature enough to pull off the older woman look. She actually does look far more attractive now than she did then - perhaps she just suits straighter hair. Although there is a trend where red-haired 'looking' women look far better as they age.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I'll give you that, but to be honest, I don't think the 1st movie's April was meant to be just a "hot young thing", but an actual character with a distinct personality.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'll give you that, but to be honest, I don't think the 1st movie's April was meant to be just a "hot young thing", but an actual character with a distinct personality.
No, I totally agree with that. I'm not claiming that she was supposed to be good looking - I'm simply replying in kind to the rather superficial tone of the thread i.e. expanding on April's 'hotness' in various iterations.

Hoag was a far better April than Turco imo (although perhaps it was easier to display her talents given that first movie April had more scope and prominence than SotO and III), so that proves that I don't care about her looks in the film. As I said above I find Turco more attractive but, to reiterate, she was an inferior actress to Hoag imo.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
Zachatello00
On the beat!
 
Zachatello00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hiding behind the phone booth
Posts: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'll give you that, but to be honest, I don't think the 1st movie's April was meant to be just a "hot young thing", but an actual character with a distinct personality.
Thank you for saying this!
__________________
"You're still news!"
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist
 
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddinghead View Post
From a purely aestetic perspective considering it's a cartoon character were talking about. Would April O'Neil just be an other plain face in the crowd if she didn't doll herself up with her pink lipstick and eyeliner?



I was watching the episode 'foot soldiers are revolting' recently, and i came over this, and it seems this is April's face without any makeup on, and i don't see her face that cute. Is it possible April is just another plain jane when it comes down to it?
You're talking about an episode where the Turtle's voices and colors changed regularly, right?

I have seen some pretty horrendous animation from this show... especially on the last disc of Season 3 (the only season of this show I do own)
__________________
Check out, visit, support, and spread word of my original self published comic book ZOMBIE B.C.
http://www.facebook.com/OfficialZombieBC | http://OfficialZombieBC.tumblr.com
created, written, drawn, etc by me.


Inventory

Last edited by FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza; 09-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Thank you for saying this!
I explain in the post just above that I didn't think that was the point of 1990 April (if I thought April was just there to look 'hot' I'd prefer Turco April to Hoag April, yet I clarify that I don't).

I'm assuming you're thinking that I missed the point of her seeing as I'm the only one who's brought up 1990 April in this thread, but if you read the post right above yours you'll see me clarifying my position - this is a superficial thread so I replied superficially. If it was a thread debating the merits of which April had the most character development then I would have replied very differently. But it isn't - it's a thread asking if 1987 April is attractive, so I extrapolated that and made a comparison of the different Aprils in terms of looks. At no point did I say that she's only there to titillate. Your reply implies that I (or others) don't 'get' April, when I clearly do (especially considering I explain myself right above you, as said).

Jester kinda misinterpreted my post - he confused me discussing Hoag's looks at various ages with me thinking 1990 April was just there to look pretty. That isn't the case at all. I mentioned that Hoag was too old looking at 21 to be considered a 'hot young thing', and he somehow interpreted that as me saying that April's entire role was to be a 'hot young thing'. How he came to that conclusion I'm not sure. I only discussed Hoag's looks in depth because he said he thinks she looks quite good these days. My discussion was all about Hoag and nothing to do with April - I'd be saying the same thing had she been cast as a different part in a different film aged 21.

Last edited by Davetello; 09-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.