The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
fridaynightdestination
Banned
 
fridaynightdestination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 553
Anyone else loving the visual style of this movie?

I really love the look of this movie, some of the shots looks awesome. It has a very Mass Effect, Star Trek look to it. Speaking of Mass Effect, they are making a movie of it, I really wish they weren't because I don't see how it can work as a movie, but I hope that Mass Effect uses the same visual style as this movie. But here are some shots that I think demonstrate that:

Spoiler:


Spoiler:






And the shot that demonstrates the awesome visual style more than any other
Spoiler:

Sorry I had to lol
fridaynightdestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
A_Little_Too_Raph.9859
Stone Warrior
 
A_Little_Too_Raph.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC Sewers
Posts: 955
I really like the look of it.
__________________
A_Little_Too_Raph.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
DioLeo451
Hench Mutant
 
DioLeo451's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 492
Has very nice cinematography and lighting and use of colors they just pop very cool
DioLeo451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Bob
Stone Warrior
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK, England
Posts: 546
Yes, the cinematography does look top notch. It also looks visually striking and fairly unique.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior
 
Radical Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 702
Yea, it's pretty awesome and colorful. You can see the individual colors of the turtles within the lighting of almost every shot.
__________________
"Less rahk n' row, boys!" -Leuhnardoh

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Yes. The colors are very VIVID and I love that ray of lights that shimmer into the camera from time to time, glorious to behold. Like candy for the eyes.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
This is probably the most colourful movie I've seen since....Kick-Ass!
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Yeah, Turtles may not be all too pretty to me, but cinematically speaking it collectively has a nice look to it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
It's one of the few things I do like about this movie.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja
 
samxsteal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: I currently live in Cape may NJ im from Hillsboro Oregon
Posts: 2,788
IM loving the visuals they are awesome And i cant wait to See the full thing
__________________
AVATAR ^_^ ....

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
samxsteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,422
The visual look of the costuming and such? No, not at all. The cinematography and camerawork? Fairly brilliant, what I've seen so far.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Yeah I think the cinematography and camera work are gonna be highlights.

I'll agree it has sort of a Star Trek/Mass Effect look to it... but that's not something I really see in my head when I think "TMNT". It's slick, but feels a little too slick for this property's film. And as others have said, skin textures aside, I really can't stand the character designs.

It looks like a lot of stuff I don't like the look of will at least be shot very well and look pretty. The lair's mostly okay; that, I wish they'd just dialed down about, say, 10%, where everything else I wish they toned down about 60-80%.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
Glados
Foot Soldier
 
Glados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Yes, everything is very vivid and colorful. As the Black Nerd said: The color correction is TAIGHT!
Glados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The visual look of the costuming and such? No, not at all. The cinematography and camerawork? Fairly brilliant, what I've seen so far.
This. The shots are shot nice, but the high contrast & excessive use of lens flare is nothing new. It's flashy for the sake of flashy.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #15
mexichrist83
Hench Mutant
 
mexichrist83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 273
Seeing a lot of orange and teal.....

Item #4
http://www.cracked.com/article_18664...look-same.html

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/20...ease-stop.html

http://****ingorangeandteal.tumblr.com

http://www.slashfilm.com/orangeblue-...movie-posters/

The blocked out part of the tumbler link is the F word, by the way

Last edited by mexichrist83; 07-17-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: censored
mexichrist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #16
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior
 
SwiftNinjaFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynightdestination View Post
I really love the look of this movie, some of the shots looks awesome. It has a very Mass Effect, Star Trek look to it.
So long as they don't use lens flares. No lens flares, you put ONE lens flare in this thing and you're in big trouble, dude!
__________________
Ninja Fox Games & Geekery: http://ninjafoxgames..com/
SwiftNinjaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
So long as they don't use lens flares. No lens flares, you put ONE lens flare in this thing and you're in big trouble, dude!
Wtf? Do you not see there's tonnes of lens flares ever since the beginning announcement trailer.

And they are gorgeous to look at!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior
 
SwiftNinjaFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Wtf? Do you not see there's tonnes of lens flares ever since the beginning announcement trailer.

And they are gorgeous to look at!
I hate lens flare. It's not gorgeous, it's usually out of place and distracts more than anything.

And I was paraphrasing Mikey's line about anchovies, btw
__________________
Ninja Fox Games & Geekery: http://ninjafoxgames..com/
SwiftNinjaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Just when I think I'm out...



I actually really dislike the visual style of this movie, actually. I'll explain why, but for the sake of fairness: it's a totally subjective thing and I don't expect anyone to agree, necessarily. Okay? Okay!

But... I actually don't think it has "good" cinematography or camerawork at all, based on the trailers I've seen. I think it has very flashy cinematography and camerawork, and that has its appeal and is definitely popular with some folks, but to me it just seems really obnoxious and overly-busy. It's eye candy, but... there's a reason you get sick if you eat too much candy in one sitting.

The most effective storytelling is often the simplest. The flashy stuff is best used sparingly, and it's more effective because of it. But with this movie, it seems to be all flash: we seem to have the camera almost constantly moving, sweeping and bouncing around, while nearly every shot seems to have spotlights and smoke machines going off in the background. Seriously, look at those shots in the original post - smoke and heavy, artificial-looking filtering and bright lights and lens flares all over the place. And I know that some people really enjoy that, but I think it's totally obnoxious and distracting.

And my worry about this, based on what I've seen so far, is that this movie's overall "look" is more concerned with being the cinematography equivalent of a fireworks show instead of offering any actual decent, legitimate storytelling - all flash, zero substance.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a great (and fair) video describing the overall Michael Bay style called "Bayhem" that sums up a lot of my issues with the look of this movie. (And I know that Bay didn't direct it, but this movie is very much in his style and follows his influence, so I think it's relevant.) IMO, and as it says in the video, that style is great at being flashy, but it's incredibly limited by its need to be flashy at all times, and it suffers because of that on a basic storytelling level. There's no subtlety and no nuance. And I don't care what kind of movie you're making -- even a silly action/comedy -- you need those things, even just a little bit, to make anything worth watching.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 07-17-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #20
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
I hate lens flare. It's not gorgeous, it's usually out of place and distracts more than anything.

And I was paraphrasing Mikey's line about anchovies, btw
I got it. FWIW, I can't stand lens flare either. *shrugs*
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.