The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the pizza obesssion?
Yes 38 74.51%
No 13 25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Pizza obsession?

So I don't really get the appeal of the pizza obsession introduced in the cartoon. I mean I get the basic idea of the turtles having a favorite dish they're shown eating from time to time, the IDW comics handle this decently.

But then the first cartoon decided that they should obsess over pizza, eat pizza in nearly every episode, talk about pizza in nearly every episode, make pizza jokes in nearly every episode and have multiple episodes use pizza as a plot device.

I don't get it, making it a near constant presence turns it from charming to annoying. Do you see the appeal in pizza obsession?
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Tazi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
So I don't really get the appeal of the pizza obsession introduced in the cartoon
It's the pizza lobbyists. THE ALUMINADE!

LEL!
__________________
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
I think, strategically, it was a great move on part of Playmates/Fred Wolf as far as marketing. You had a common food that automatically evoked associations with the mega-franchise the Turtles became during that time period, which was great for cross-promotions, and it just became one of its wacky cornerstones from which plots, merchandise, whatever, could be culled.

As to how or why TPTB arrived at pizza specifically, I have no idea and would love to hear a proper origin for that decision.

It totally worked for the '87 show. I'm glad other versions have since moved away from it though.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Even if they wanted to make the turtles pizza obsessed in the 4Kids and the Nick series, the media would destroy them due to the problems with child obesity in the USA these days. They'd probably get the cookie monster treatment and make them addicted to tofu or something like that.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
It's the pizza lobbyists. THE ALUMINADE!

LEL!
Right???

I actually think the pizza obsession it funny and enjoyable, but yes the OT did go over-board with it from season to season.

But its apart of turtle culture now and it can never go away.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Ryanator008
Hench Mutant
 
Ryanator008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 293
It makes for good Pizza Hut promotions.
__________________
Quote:
Keonta, Karova, Melanite, Harkova! A thousand nightmares will soon come true, space will twist and rip in two. Reality ends, time is tossed, as galaxies found, become galaxies lost!
Ryanator008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior
 
tmntpower1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 793
As much as I like pizza I did find it annoying when Mikey would bring up pizza nearly every time he spoke.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanator008 View Post
It makes for good Pizza Hut promotions.
And helped sell a lot of TMNT 2: The Arcade game copies as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
Darthchubby
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Omaha
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So I don't really get the appeal of the pizza obsession introduced in the cartoon. I mean I get the basic idea of the turtles having a favorite dish they're shown eating from time to time, the IDW comics handle this decently.

But then the first cartoon decided that they should obsess over pizza, eat pizza in nearly every episode, talk about pizza in nearly every episode, make pizza jokes in nearly every episode and have multiple episodes use pizza as a plot device.

I don't get it, making it a near constant presence turns it from charming to annoying. Do you see the appeal in pizza obsession?
I just chalk it up to pizza being a dish they really enjoyed but didnt get as often as theyd like due to living in the sewer. I dont know. Like the bacon craze of late.
Darthchubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Agree it was a bit overboard, but it was just a fun, goofy series, particularly after a while, and guess it made for a signature quirk. Not a bad thing that that series got them hooked on pizza though. Pizza is delicious. And really relateable.

Hope the movie keeps it down to a healthy amount, esp if a lot of its inspiration is the original series... else we could end up with some pudgy Turtles if they're trying to aim for 'realistic.'
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
F*** all that noise. That mess and "Cowabunga" need to stay in the past. It's way past tired.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
I like how the Nick series handle the pizza thing. They eat other foods aside from pizza. Of course, Mikey's the only one obsessed with. The other three seem pretty normal with, although I question Raph for this incarnation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
F*** all that noise. That mess and "Cowabunga" need to stay in the past. It's way past tired.
I find "Cowabunga" more dated than tired.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #13
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Yeah, you're right, that too.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:11 AM   #14
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
I recall an early OT ep where Mikey was trying to come up with another catchphrase, but Donatello cut him off.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
fridaynightdestination
Banned
 
fridaynightdestination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 553
The fact that they love pizza is one of the reasons I like the turtles so much.
fridaynightdestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #16
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
I don't mind it, but I don't really like it, either. I think it's become a really lazy shorthand for the whole property, instead of putting the focus on properly building the characters up and portraying them as fully-realized, three-dimensional personalities. You can do both, but it's too easy for some folks to lean on the "COWABUNGA, PIZZA TIME" stuff almost entirely.

Hell, this year's movie totally slashed away at the Turtles' origin and backstory, but was damn sure to include like three scenes that were all about pizza. When a minor detail like someone's favourite food gets more attention than actually making them rounded, fully-developed characters, you've got yourself a problem.

But y'know. It's effective marketing, I guess. But I think it's also a part of why the characters aren't taken as "seriously" as Spider-Man or Batman. It'd be nice if they'd play up the "cycle of vengeance" theme, or the concept of the Turtles as heroic outcasts, as much as Spidey's "with great power comes great responsibility" or the interesting "fear and symbols as weapons against injustice" kind of thing that Batman often uses. Lead with the strong stuff, not the silly marketing ploy.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 08-23-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
This is what the world know the turtles for - PIZZA! Gotta thank the OT toon for this, it boost the turtle mania to overdrive.

Blessed are we to enjoy pizza till this day and remembering the turtles everytime.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
Green Machine
Hench Mutant
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 442
I love pizza, they love pizza. It works for me.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
F*** all that noise. That mess and "Cowabunga" need to stay in the past. It's way past tired.
Cowabunga is their trademark catchphrase, though. And I'd rather have them say it than "Booyakasha". That one is fairly dated as well. Ali G hasn't been relevant in a decade or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I recall an early OT ep where Mikey was trying to come up with another catchphrase, but Donatello cut him off.
That's because he was about to use Fred Flinstone's "Yaba-Daba-Doo". Donatello covered Michelangelo's mouth with his hand and told him "It's just not you." as far as I remember.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #20
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
It made me love pizza so I like it.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fred wolf series, pizza


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.