The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Chuquison
Thug
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 71
Smile What a Surprise!!!

I am not sure if this belongs in this topic folder but its not just a collectable its a bit of a story too!

[IMG][/IMG]

To some this may be an old rag of a shirt..... this shirt dates back to when I was 6 in 1989..

I have always been a turtle fan, I stole my cousins comics and played with other kids toys... See I was poor growing up, my parents did their best to give us what they could. I don't regret my childhood it makes me appreciate more now then ever before. I was raised on hand me downs, shirts from flea markets and sometimes from stores having 70% sales.. I played soccer and used the same cleats for 3 to 4 years and used tape to mask the sole falling apart, I would like to teammates and say I like my cleats tights that's why I used tape, but the fact was it was falling apart and I didn't want them to make fun of me cause they where kmart no name brands.

The story starts in Kmart in 1989, we where there because we had family in town and they needed to get some stuff there. I was with my mom and my cousin got anything he wanted. I saw this TMNT shirt that was for like 7 bucks and my mom said we couldn't afford it. I was a bit bummed and just sucked up the sadness since I was used to it.

A week later my mom gave me the shirt you see before you. Yes it was a knock off flea market shirt but it meant the world to me. I used to wear it 3 times a week for school and was made fun of by other kids who had a few of these shirts but the nicer ones. I would say I have better ones but I only wear them for nice occasions and this was a school shirt... im sure they knew I was lying.

I found this today, in my garage in a box that my mom left there since she is getting separated from my dad after 35 years of marriage, I am not a hoader but I rarely threw things out if they had a second use, I really don't know how this didn't get thrown out after three moves. But finding the shirt surprised the crap out of me and made me so happy at the same time I was left shocked and sadden to remember the crap my parents had to do to raise me and my two sisters. It sadden me aswell because it reminded me of how our family is so close and that we were raised so happy but poor and now seeing my parents getting divorced hit a cord in my heart made me cry a little. I understand how finance makes the world go around, but my parents never got up in life and I guess finance does make things fall apart.

I wish someday I could help them, I make enough to support myself and my bills and house, and have always said if I hit it big I would help them tremendously...

Now that I am older little by little I have tried collecting toys I wished I had, I have purchased a few in boxes and on cards because they reminded me of how I looked at them when they were displayed in stores and I would just imagine if I had them all the cool stuff I could of done playing with them... for some of you its to collect them all and to just say hey I have the expensive rare ones, to me they mean a little more...

This shirt I will try my best to get it cleaned better and have it framed to remind me of my past...

thank you for hearing me out and sorry for the long post.
Chuquison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
blindturtle02
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 2,627
Wow. Heck of a story. I think it definitely has a place here. Love it when you guys share stuff like this.
__________________
Please don't remove my nice hat and wack me in the butt with it.
blindturtle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuquison View Post
and have it framed to remind me of my past...
Awesome idea The little stuff can mean so much, glad you were able to find it. And hey, being a late 80s knock off maybe it's kinda rare now?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
Ville Leskinen
Foot Soldier
 
Ville Leskinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 120
Thanks for sharing such personal stuff! Hope everything turns out okay even if your parents are getting a divorce.
__________________
Ville Leskinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist
 
The Turtle Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,110
That's such a cool story. Hope it all works out when your parents get divorced
__________________
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
Gorilla Grodd
Thug
 
Gorilla Grodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Gorilla City
Posts: 65
Very touching story. I also nostalgia trip like crazy over things like this.
__________________
Gorilla Grodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Wow. Sorry to hear about your parents, but at least you found something to remember the good times you had with them even if you didn't have much when you were growing up. The fact that you cherish this shirt and were able to still stand tall despite your situation is awesome and shows a great amount of bravery.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Cool story bro.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
thank you very much for sharing your story with us here!I can relate to your ways of thinking very well and am sad to hear of your family breaking apart after all this time.keep your head up, there'll be happier times comming along for all of you again, too!...
I can also really relate to the reason you are collecting now.I have vivid memory of all these things from way back when, too, and I guess the fact that I DIDN'T get to play with these toys makes it all the more special for me..
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Great story man, that's what the turtles are all about - connecting to moments in our lives, even the sadder times.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
respect.
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #12
Necrotique
Thug
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 98
Respect, man.
Necrotique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #13
Tora
Hench Mutant
 
Tora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 254
Wow such a great story I hope it came out clean for you.

Your story reminds me of when I had this green TMNT shirt when I was 7.

Well one late night I went crash at my older sisters house (Much Older) and she popped in the room I was about fall asleep in. She said to me " Here...I found this when we were moving and knew it was yours" I was 22 at the time and was blown away that she found it. Well as it turns out I left it at her old house when I was little cuz I use to stay the night at her house cuz her step son and I were close in age and close friends.

Life is a real trip.
Tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.