The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,098
Do you prefer to not know who the voice actors are?

simple question. Would you rather not know who's voicing each character? i know people where if they know who's voicing them the can't see what's on the screen, they just keep visualizing the voice actor every time the character speaks.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,794
When I was a kid I obviously didn't know what most voice actors looks like and there was also no internet in the 80's and early 90's so you couldn't look it up either.

Nowadays why not?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I love to know who does what. I think voice acting is an awesome career/talent, & those people don't get enough credit IMO.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Sometimes i recognize voice actors from various cartoons from the same time period.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
No. I prefer to know who they are, especially if I have to go looking for who they are. That way I can marvel at how damn versatile their range is.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I wish we had the information back in the 90s. Voice actors didn't get half the credit they get nowadays, and it's a darn shame!!!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
I don't care enough. People get so worked up about voice actors and I just don't get it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Spoiler:
Outside the newest movie? *grabs duct tape* (I meant for me, but then again, maybe for that particular "voice actor" as well.)

I've never really kept up on that aspect all that much, so I might look someone up, but for the most part I probably won't commit it to memory what else they've done or end up that familiar.

As a little bit of a WoW player and have a Blood Elf as one of my faves I play, I WAS a bit floored to read that his voice actor (for the sound emotes) was also Leo's first. I wasn't even back in the TMNT fanbase yet when I read that. Maybe that bit of info gave me a nudge.

I've tried but I have to say that I can't really hear it though, think it's enough years between and Cam Clarke puts it on rather differently for both.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
People get so worked up about voice actors and I just don't get it.
I'm assuming that's because you see them as no more than "children's" entertainers, in which case is kind of a sad outlook on the profession. Voice over doesn't just apply to cartoons. They're used for video games, movie trailers, radio commercials and a lot more. Hell, when you were making those Green Lantern/JLA and Highlander fan videos on YouTube, you asked Lisardo, me and a bunch of others from the TMNT fandom to do voice-over for those projects. I can't speak for the rest of the Hal & Kyle cast, but for me it was the coolest thing because it's the closest I ever got to being a voice actor.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
It's always fun to play "Who's that Voice Actor?" BlindTurtle and I developed quite an ear for it in college.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I'm assuming that's because you see them as no more than "children's" entertainers, in which case is kind of a sad outlook on the profession. Voice over doesn't just apply to cartoons. They're used for video games, movie trailers, radio commercials and a lot more. Hell, when you were making those Green Lantern/JLA and Highlander fan videos on YouTube
Yup, any of them. You name it. I mean, they have to do a serviceable job and all... but unless you're endeavoring to be a voice actor yourself (which makes sense) I'm just not understanding the fascination with them. I'm not downplaying the work they do and what they add to the mix.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Victorsaurus
Foot Soldier
 
Victorsaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 153
Sometimes, mostly if I head "that voice" over and over again or if I really like it. That reminds me, I have to search for the voice actor/actress of Catbug.
__________________

http://sot.ag/gk6B/
Victorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
It doesn't bother me if I know them or not, usually.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #14
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Most of the time I don't pay much attention, unless I recognize the voice. There are a few VA's I do sort of "follow" by seeing what work they have done. Like for instance, the guy who voiced Cobra Bubbles in Lilo and Stitch also does the Arby's "we have the meats" commercials. Weird, but cool!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Like for instance, the guy who voiced Cobra Bubbles in Lilo and Stitch also does the Arby's "we have the meats" commercials. Weird, but cool!
Waaah? Now I'm going to have to pay attention to that. lol

I swear, it's interesting sometimes the different roles some people have played/done that you don't even expect. Wasn't that long ago I even became aware that the women who does Nick April also voices Disney's (new animated version) Tinker Bell. I have yet to think of it though when I've come across either.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,508
Doesn't really matter to me either way. It's cool sometimes when I recognize a voice from another character though. Like ones that are really noticeable.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #17
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan
 
DarkFell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the current moment, on your screen.
Posts: 2,008
I like knowing which VA does what animated show. Some voice actors do show up at various conventions, and this allows me to ask a question or two about what they do. What they enjoyed about voice acting on the show, what got them interested in doing that sort of work, ect.
__________________
Quote:
“In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two are a law firm, and three or more are a congress.”

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:06 AM   #18
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,266
I think I'd prefer not to know. No disrespect to voice actors, but picturing them doing the voices in a little booth messes with my ability to suspend disbelief somewhat. I'll go one step further and say that knowing their names and following their career is not an issue, but knowing what they look like is, and when I say and issue, it's not a bid problem, just not optimal.

It's a bit like knowing how a magic trick works. Beyond that point you can appreciate it on a technical and theatrical level, but the magic is gone.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:11 AM   #19
Katie
Just...way too serious.
 
Katie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: purgatory
Posts: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't care enough. People get so worked up about voice actors and I just don't get it.
OMG. This x 1 million. Could not agree more.
__________________
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #20
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I'unno if I get being "obsessed" with it, but I also don't get completely not caring. I mean, so many people do so many things, how can a person not at least notice? Sometimes it seems like the same 8 people do literally everything. It's like with anything else I watch, you don't even have to be paying attention, then all of a sudden, "Hey, it's that guy. Neat."

To me it's just another form of acting, and like any other actors I have my personal favorites, or ones I think are "better" or more versatile. I don't quite "get" either of the extremes, though, from "fanatical" to "uncaring". On the one side, they're just actors doing a job, but on the other side, I'unno... the "not caring" angle seems sort of demeaning, like it looks down on what they do in some way.

I'm pretty convinced that Rob Paulsen and Tara Strong have shared ownership of a time machine; with everything that they do, there is no way their days contain only 24 hours. There is some serious Santa Claus magic going on there. Kath Soucie probably gets to borrow it every other Tuesday.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.