The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which era of animated Michelangelo is your favourite?
1987 Mikey - laidback surfer cowabunga dude 28 51.85%
2003 Mikey - comic geek dude 14 25.93%
2012 Mikey - hyperactive childlike dude 12 22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Shellington
Foot Soldier
 
Shellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Posts: 106
Which era of animated Michelangelo is your favourite?

Michelangelo strikes me as the Turtle that has changed the most with each decade, in keeping with each young generation's tastes and likings. Which TMNT show gave your favourite portrayal of Mikey?
__________________
"We're ninjas." Leo, the Samurai
"We're mutants!" Raph, the Outsider
"Technically, we're turtles." Donnie, the Nerd
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Shellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
2003. He wasn't a frakking idiot in it, just the annoying little brother.

As opposed to 2012, where he is ALL heart... and brain damage.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
2K3
Foot Soldier
 
2K3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 192
2K3 Mikey

His scream... that is all!!!
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,180
I love them all, but 2k3 and Nick have serious downsides, post-season one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
2003. He wasn't a frakking idiot in it, just the annoying little brother.

As opposed to 2012, where he is ALL heart... and brain damage.
His frequent cowardice got on my nerves more than anything. He'd also be more palatable if PL let other characters share the comic relief burden from time to time.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
That's hard to say, it's a toss up for me between '87 and '03. Like prob most, I prefer him not as an idiot and I like that in the first series he's just that easy going sort, he's not making stupid mistakes all the time just for being Mikey; screws ups aren't because he's him, rather just because it happens sometimes. 2003 can be a little bit of a dope at times and a bit of the 'annoying little brother,' but at least he's far from being a complete idiot and is quite capable.

*sigh* 2012... He's cute, lovable, etc., but this Mikey was clearly dropped on his head before he hatched.

Here's to hoping that their next cartoon incarnation regains him some IQ points.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,367
They're all rubbish.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
I'm with Indigo. Both the 87 and 03 versions had their good points but I would love to see a happy medium between the two.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,224
My favorite is 1987 Mikey, although 2003 comes close. Love his surfer accent! I especially like 2003 Mikey in Fast Forward.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
DisKosh
Foot Soldier
 
DisKosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 245
This is a hard one and for me it's a tie between 2003 and 2012.

I would be tempted to go more with 2012 because when they write him well, he is hands down favourite portrayal of the character (outside of Mirage). He's a skilled fighter, he's compassionate, laid back, I love that about him.

Then again, they make him too stupid at times and it's really frustrating because I know they can write him well. Like in the episode with the giant wasp ('Parasitica' I think it's called) he saved his brothers. I like to think of myself as an fairly intelligent person but I'd struggle with that (then again, I'm not good with verbal instructions, it has to be written).

He's not as endearing in the 2003 series but I still love him and I still find him adorable, but they don't treat him like an idiot and he can be really insightful at times.

Ugh, ultimately I have to go with 2012 but I have major objections to how they make him seem stupid. I also heard that allegedly (though I can't find a reliable source so take it with a pinch of salt) he's meant to have ADHD which makes it worse. People with ADHD aren't stupid, sometimes it takes them longer to process things due to finding it harder to filter out distractions, but they are not stupid. Anyway, minor rant over, I can still take every version as they come and enjoy them all.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
This ***** used to be Fun
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Posts: 5,368
87 by far, anyone who disagrees is just blatantly wrong
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #11
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I love them all, but 2k3 and Nick have serious downsides, post-season one.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're all rubbish.
& kiiiiiiinda sorta this. I mean, I think they're great & have their own merits but they're so far from what Michelangelo is meant to be (Mirage). They do just fine with the personality the develop for him, but for me the best Mikey is the orignal Mikey, most especially during the Image run. A very emotionally in-touch little soul who loves the arts & does everything in his power to be a joy in his family's otherwise somewhat bleek life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
87 by far, anyone who disagrees is just blatantly wrong
This is so ignorant. Have your preferences, sure, but Fred Wolf destroyed Michelagenlo for the rest of eternity. Thanks to that show he'll never be seen as anything more than a vapid goofball.

Don't me wrong, I love him ( Townsend alike, after all I coughed up a nice chunk of change for an autographed photo recently ) but it's the truth, lovable as he is. 1987's benefit over the other two is that he's never annoying, at least.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
& kiiiiiiinda sorta this. I mean, I think they're great & have their own merits but they're so far from what Michelangelo is meant to be (Mirage). They do just fine with the personality the develop for him, but for me the best Mikey is the orignal Mikey, most especially during the Image run. A very emotionally in-touch little soul who loves the arts & does everything in his power to be a joy in his family's otherwise somewhat bleek life.
It's much more difficult to go "He's the most human of the Turtles, the most empathic and creative," and much easier to go, "Cowabunga! He's the wild'n crazy party duuuuude! Surf's up, man! Did someone say PIIIZZZA???" and fill some sort of cardboard "party guy" archetype.

For shame.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
If most of our media is to be trusted, writing competent comic relief is hard.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #14
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 360
I'd have to say that 2012 Mikey is the best one. Best voice acting and a decent range of episodes (although they have done a few kinds too many times).

The '87 one was okay, but the voice was grating. '03 was the most annoying part of his show (and had even worse voice acting to '87).

As a secondary pick, I'd argue that TMNT did a really good, albeit underused, Mikey.
__________________
"Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!" - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #15
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Greg Cipes. His Mikey screams are priceless.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
Ulisa
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Various Fantasy Realms
Posts: 145
Mikey has always been my favorite. I can't really think of version of him that I didn't like but as for my favorite, it's definitely the 1987 version. While he can get a little over-the-top, he was shown to be caring, fun-loving, and yet still a competent fighter. He is fully capable of taking care of himself, as much as his brothers can.

2003 Mikey is probably second. I just feel that they put way too much emphasis on him to be comic relief. I wanted to see this Mikey in more of the "character-building" arcs that his brothers (especially Leo) seemed to get thrust into. They had a couple of really good opportunities for it but never seemed to take it. Of all the turtles, I feel this Mikey really became his stereotype. Though, he still can make me laugh!

2012 Mikey while I like...ugh, they just cannot write him. He is either completely brain-dead or completely dismissed by his family. They have had a few instances where they seem to get close to how to write him well but it never seems to stick. Such missed opportunities here.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #17
LuckyLadybug
Thug
 
LuckyLadybug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 77
I have to admit, I voted for the 87 Mikey, but that may or may not be because I'm so in love with the 87 series right now. I found the 2003 version extremely aggravating when I was watching the show.... It seemed like he never knew how to be serious, even when there was a situation that called for it. About the only time I really liked him was in the AU episode Same As It Never Was, although at the same time that was a really heartbreaking portrayal. I might feel differently about the 2003 Mikey now, as I liked him okay when I re-watched the first half of season 1 (which is all I own of that series on DVD). And I can't comment on the 2012 version, as I ... actually haven't seen any of that version beyond clips. (I'd watch if I had easier legal access to it without buying it.... Our library doesn't have any of it, sigh.)

I like to write him as the most empathetic/compassionate/forgiving Turtle, but I'm not sure if I'm picking that up from the 87 version's actions or if it's just a general vibe I get.
__________________
https://sites.google.com/site/exittheflytmnt1987/ My TMNT 1987 verse.
LuckyLadybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLadybug View Post
And I can't comment on the 2012 version, as I ... actually haven't seen any of that version beyond clips. (I'd watch if I had easier legal access to it without buying it.... Our library doesn't have any of it, sigh.)
Does your library offer interlibrary loans? That's one way I get material that not physically located in the public branch. Also, many libraries have way that a patron can request materials be purchased for the collection.
__________________
"Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!" - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #19
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative
 
GoldMutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,763
All three have their ups and downs. Can't say any one of the three are "the best" personally, I think Robbie Rist was the best Michelangelo outside the comics.

With Townsend Coleman's Michelangelo, it's honestly my favorite voice of the three. He didn't fully get on my nerves, Mikey here was just a guy I can have fun being with, same with Raphael or even Casey Jones in that series.

At the same, I gotta agree with Powder. It doomed Mikey to be mere comic relief; at times too, Mikey can get a bit a grating with his pizza addiction. Not too bad mind you, but just tiring.

2003 Michelangelo I honestly hate. He was fine at first, but dear Yoshi he became horrible. He may have started out good and got some good jokes, but the overall cowardice he has and arrogance following Battle Nexus... non bene, mi amici. It's not just his character, I hated Wayne Grayson's voice. It sounds too much like Coleman for me; he has his moments, but I can't fully stomach him.

2k12 Mikey... it's heavily mixed. As I've said in the past, when he's written past the comedic goofball, it's honestly the best blend of Mikey. Considering Into Dimension X!, It Came from the Depths as well as little moments like in Manhattan Project and Wrath of Tiger Claw, he's really good. Creative, emotional, even serious when needed. That's what I want in my Mikey. He does bear the distinction of having some of my least favorite Nick episodes though, notably The Croaking and Turtles in Time. It really depends who write him and the show as of now is still running, so there's some time.

Ultimately, if held at gun point I'd vote Nick Mikey in terms of character (when not annoying) and voice Townsend. However, none are perfect for me; I'd really love if James Arnold Taylor got another shot voicing in TMNT, this time as Mikey rather than Leonardo. Dunno why, just see Taylor as the ideal Mikey for some reason.
__________________
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
87 by far, anyone who disagrees is just blatantly wrong
Oh you.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.