![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
40 Years of TMNT
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
|
"Jim Lee's TMNT" Playmates Tie-in Comic
Drawn by Erik Larsen (with cover duties shared by he & Simon Bisley) featuring his character, the Savage Dragon. This was a promotional tie-in for a 1995 TMNT/Savage Dragon toyline whose turtles were designed by famed comics artist Jim Lee in a very 90's/extreme style. Each figure came with this same mini-comic, with the only variation between them being its front cover (character specific). It's short, simple, & fun.
I'm sure many longtime members of this forum have seen this before, but I wanted to put a new/larger scan out there. I've been going through some things & archiving them, so you can expect more like this in the near future. My copy's obviously a bit worn, it's from my childhood after all. ![]() You can read/download from the source Imgur album (where I've included the insert/advert pages ) if you prefer- https://imgur.com/a/Hmz2P As this is a very obscure toy pack-in with other licensed characters, it is not for sale through any official means nor will it ever be reprinted, so it should be fine to share here. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
Last edited by Powder; 04-08-2018 at 02:12 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
|
Yep, had this with all the Jim Lee TMNT toys I bought in the 90's and early 2000's. I wish it was longer but it's a fun short comic.
Imagine if we got a new series with these designs? |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 712
|
Cool, thanks for the share!
Edit: Just had a look at the figures for this, I wonder why they didn't do a Leo figure?
__________________
Twitter handle: @D_Piddy1982 " 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001 |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Hench Mutant
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 429
|
Thanks Powder.
I'm glad I own a copy (with the Larsen/Bisley cover you displayed). I wish I had all 6 covers though but the easiest way to get them is to buy the figures MOC and the TMNT ones are not cheap. |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
I appreciate you posting that, Powder. I've never seen it.
I swear with every wild interpretation of the TMNT, my love for the franchise just grows. It's not that I want to indulge in every iteration, for instance, the new cartoon doesn't appeal to me at all, but just the fact that they all exist in tandem is fascinating. That this "myth" or story has transpired and been retold time and time again at this point. Seeing a super bizarre, 90's Jim Lee take on the TMNT adds to the well nicely. |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 | |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
|
Seems like I've seen concept art for Jim Lee styled Leonardo, but I can't recall it now.
Quote:
__________________
![]() Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries! Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"! View my sketch work! I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items! |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | ||||
|
40 Years of TMNT
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
|
Certainly wouldn't have been out of place with all the other EXTREME 90's stuff going on at the time. I was always a fan of that aesthetic, personally, so I'd have probably loved it if they did give the TMNT a series like this.
![]() Quote:
There was this mysterious bootleg/custom/whatever though- ![]() Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
![]()
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
|
Oh, okay, so the concept (and prototype) was in the print solicits, that I do remember. I had thought I'd also seen some post of the concept art in its rare form too, but maybe not.
And I guess I never realized that the Jim Lee designs were intended for a WildC.A.T.S. crossover rather than Savage Dragon (makes more sense for Jim Lee's involvement). I wonder if it was a late legal concern that forced the change or if they just thought Savage Dragon was a better fit for profitability. Anybody ever wonder if the original WildC.A.T.S. crossover comic existed but was scrapped or altered to fit the Dragon cast? And in another historical bit of trivia regarding Jim Lee's influence on the TMNT franchise, famed Japanese artist Hidetsugu Yoshioka modeled his own take on the Turtles after the Jim Lee style for his promotional artwork for Comic Bom Bom and the Super Turtles toyline! http://www.e-hobbymagazine.com/engli...n_en/4599.html
__________________
![]() Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries! Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"! View my sketch work! I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items! Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-11-2018 at 05:04 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
|
Cool, thanks.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2013
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 1,259
|
Ugh :/ i need these in my life
__________________
Owner of Hkohles1gaming, kohlesgoods, and hkohles1. https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1 https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1gaming |
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
無問題
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
|
Quote:
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2013
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 1,259
|
I would like to point out that I bought a cheap savage dragon toy just so I can have this comic lol thanks powder... paid $12
__________________
Owner of Hkohles1gaming, kohlesgoods, and hkohles1. https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1 https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1gaming |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 | |
|
40 Years of TMNT
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
|
Quote:
Haha, I'm glad to have inspired a purchase. It's a cool item to own! The toys themselves were lacking on the articulation front, but they had some really nice sculpts. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
無問題
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
|
Well I mean at least that one is on a Leo cardback
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 | |
|
Will not be censored
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
|
They're bootlegs. A bunch of them popped up on ebay awhile back.
We need Andrew to do a conclusion to this comic
__________________
Quote:
TheGreatestTMNTurtlesSellerEVER on eBay International shipping assistance: [email protected] |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 | |
|
無問題
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
|
Quote:
EDIT: According to this, it's a custom made by "Alex CF".
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 762
|
FYI, here's the Savage Dragon wiki's entry on this comic, complete with credits:
http://wiki.savagedragon.com/Savage_Dragon_Playmates_Toys_mini_comic.html |
|
|
|
|
|
#18 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,891
|
Thanks for sharing Powder, great stuff, but why is this credited as Jim Lee's TMNT, if he didn't do the artwork?
__________________
![]() http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M) |
|
|
|
|
|
#19 |
|
40 Years of TMNT
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
|
He designed the turtle toys that this mini-comic was based on/included with.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#20 | |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,891
|
Quote:
__________________
![]() http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M) |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|