The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2023, 12:38 PM   #1
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,606
TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo: WhenWhere #5

Called it

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Based on one of the variants for issue # 5, we might end up losing another beloved character. I’m guessing Usagi’s cousin Yukichi since he doesn’t appear in Senso either. (Although Senso was published years before Yukichi was introduced.) Still, Sakai will probably use this opportunity to explain why Yukichi doesn’t fight alongside Usagi in the battle against the alien invaders.


__________________
Cowabunga
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
Jeff
Stone Warrior
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: I heard the sewers in Connecticut are nice.
Posts: 579
I feel like this entire series was a miss. The best part was Sakai's art, which I've always loved. I've read a lot of Usagi Yojimbo, although I'm nowhere near caught up to current, so I'm not sure if the events here will have affect on the main story, but

Spoiler:
Gen's wife and Usagi's cousin both die and the reaction is like "OH NO - anyway..." Like, what is Casey and April were murdered and it took place in regular continuity and the turtles move on after one sentence? It just seems like nothing is important.


All of the turtles are interchangeable and don't even really serve a purpose to the story other than being on the same page as Miyamato Usagi.

The story was SUPER thin for 5 issues. It could have easily been a short story as backmatter content of the main series. Dr. Wherewhen is such a great concept and could have been way cooler than he ended up being.

It just sucks that we got a brand new mini-series that was as simple and boring as it was.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 02:58 PM   #3
moneymase
Mouser
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 7
Agree. This series was a big nothing. There were some good Eastman covers, and that was about it.
moneymase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:07 PM   #4
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,023
I enjoyed the art, but I’m not as well versed in Usagi comics. I thought it was honestly kind of shocking they killed 2 “major” characters?

I did a bit of research and the mainline Usagi book is on hiatus right now?
__________________
A small blog that a friend of mine and I started reviewing some games of all genre's. Stop by if you have a second.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #5
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,606
Although this is a sad scene, I’m sorry but…Usagi can be such a ham sometimes:

Spoiler:
__________________
Cowabunga
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:09 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
It seems Stan doesn't really have a good grasp on the Turtles behavior in IDW, having them all shout out "Cowabunga!" or having the villains actually refer to them as, "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." I know this stuff can be excused since it's a crossover but I don't remember them being written like this in the previous crossover from 2017.

Also I'm honestly curious if Senso and this are considered canon for Usagi's continuity. We know Usagi is written where it can just go on forever, it may never have a "real" ending, but this stuff is pretty hard to reconcile.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:16 PM   #7
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also I'm honestly curious if Senso and this are considered canon for Usagi's continuity. We know Usagi is written where it can just go on forever, it may never have a "real" ending, but this stuff is pretty hard to reconcile.
It could be like the Mad Max future in the 2012 TMNT show: it’s just a possible future and not the definite ending of the series.
__________________
Cowabunga
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:24 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
It could be like the Mad Max future in the 2012 TMNT show: it’s just a possible future and not the definite ending of the series.
True, because I get the feeling Usagi will never get a "real" ending anyway. Stan Sakai writes Usagi like it can just go on indefinitely like The Simpsons, and with him being 70 years old now, who knows how much longer he can still put out comics till he can no longer draw/write the issues. I assume the series will just randomly end on a random story someday when Stan just gets too old to continue.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:44 AM   #9
Mayhem
Foot Elite
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJuicyBurgers View Post
I did a bit of research and the mainline Usagi book is on hiatus right now?
WhereWhen is the last thing Stan has done for IDW before returning to Dark Horse, the first new issue there comes out next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It seems Stan doesn't really have a good grasp on the Turtles behavior in IDW, having them all shout out "Cowabunga!" or having the villains actually refer to them as, "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." I know this stuff can be excused since it's a crossover but I don't remember them being written like this in the previous crossover from 2017.
I think they are still meant to be the Mirage turtles.

As for your other question, which I forgot to keep in the quote, kind of yes, and yes. The events in WhereWhen are to explain why said two characters did not then appear in Senso. Senso actually forms part of the comic issue count continuity for Usagi as well.
__________________
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:43 AM   #10
hypered1
Mad Scientist
 
hypered1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I think they are still meant to be the Mirage turtles.
No, it's definitively the IDW TMNT. They explicitly reference the previous crossover 'Namazu' on page 23 of Issue #2.
__________________
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:41 AM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
They also all have colored bandana's
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:18 PM   #12
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior
 
Zog The Magnificent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 830
Senso has always been presented as a possible future, but not necessarily the definitive ending. If Stan dies before he ever gives Usagi a good "stopping point," then it will just end up becoming the ending by default. Personally, I've always hoped that it WASN'T the definitive ending, but now with Wherewhen explicitly leading into that future, I'm starting to worry that Senso is indeed the canon future.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:54 PM   #13
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant
 
Monty Mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 373
Now that this series is said and done, is it worth reading?
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:19 AM   #14
Mayhem
Foot Elite
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They also all have colored bandana's
I’m getting all five issues in one lump from my LCS so haven’t read it yet, so didn’t know this.
__________________
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:17 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
Now that this series is said and done, is it worth reading?
It's a typical Usagi/TMNT crossover. Nothing mind blowing but its good and fun. Some major character deaths from the Usagi universe though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:22 PM   #16
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
Now that this series is said and done, is it worth reading?
I thought it was a nice crossover
__________________
Cowabunga
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:22 PM   #17
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Although this is a sad scene, I’m sorry but…Usagi can be such a ham sometimes:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:56 PM   #18
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Oh great, now I hear Usagi screaming in a German accent
__________________
Cowabunga
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:58 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Stan Sakai is 70 years old right now, so I assume the Usagi comic has maybe 10 more years tops of going on assuming Stan remains in good health to write and draw the comics.

Then again Asians are known for living a long time compared to other races, so Stan could very well remain healthy well into his 90's and into his 100th birthday. So who knows.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:45 AM   #20
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Then again Asians are known for living a long time compared to other races, so Stan could very well remain healthy well into his 90's and into his 100th birthday. So who knows.
I think the secret to their longevity is their consumption of fish. Maybe I should eat more salmon and less beef
__________________
Cowabunga
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.