PDA

View Full Version : New Show coming in 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

plastroncafe
11-02-2017, 06:43 PM
I thought Nick'12 Leo was one of the most interesting Leos ever. It was a refreshing twist to see him obsessed with both his training and his hobbies. Very different from the 100% "so serious" of the mid seasons of the 4Kids toon.

Agreed.

Leo isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but...reading some of the things being written by people who say he's their favorite, I can't help but wonder if it's him they like, or his position of authority in the group.

For the most part I'm not seeing people talk about what they like about Leo, just that he must lead.
Why must he lead?
Is that all he really is? All that character is capable of?

drag0nfeathers
11-02-2017, 06:57 PM
I still don't know how I feel about any of this... *rocks in corner* I don't like change...

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Everything the current Nick 2012 show did was a huge change and departure from before, the only reason it doesn't feel that way anymore is because we're used to it now.

Stuff like teenage April, the Kraang, the Turtles having different designs, Don's crush, Karai being Splinter's daughter but adopted by Shredder, all the mutants, etc...were all huge changes back in 2012 from what came before it. And most of it worked out fine.

Stuff only feels weird when it's new, after it isn't anymore, nobody bats an eye at it. You should have seen the backlash back in 2004 when 2k3 Shredder was revealed to be an Utrom. :lol: Now nobody cares.

TigerClaw
11-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Everything the current Nick 2012 show did was a huge change and departure from before, the only reason it doesn't feel that way anymore is because we're used to it now.

Stuff like teenage April, the Kraang, the Turtles having different designs, Don's crush, Karai being Splinter's daughter but adopted by Shredder, all the mutants, etc...were all huge changes back in 2012 from what came before it. And most of it worked out fine.

Stuff only feels weird when it's new, after it isn't anymore, nobody bats an eye at it. You should have seen the backlash back in 2004 when 2k3 Shredder was revealed to be an Utrom. :lol: Now nobody cares.
Plus there's a generation that grew up on the 2k12 series, and that's the only version of TMNT that they know, come 2018, the next generation will grow up with this new version, and that one will become the norm to them, in the future people will talk about April being African American, and completely forget about past iterations of the character, 2018 will become the new standard, much like how 2k12 became the standard for this generation.

Leolead
11-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Man, Kat Graham is soo beautiful. I wish she was April instead of Megan Fox (Hello Mirage-inspired April). I'm onboard with this new April 100%. She sounds like Mirage April.

As for the other changes.. Raph being the leader is ****ing dumb & Leo being the rebel is fricking insane!

Leolead
11-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I just watchef the BTS video. I noticed Mikey doesn't sound like a surfer "bruh". Anymore. Welcome change for me. Leo & Raph sound great. Don? Not so much.

garsh
11-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Leo isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but...reading some of the things being written by people who say he's their favorite, I can't help but wonder if it's him they like, or his position of authority in the group.

For the most part I'm not seeing people talk about what they like about Leo, just that he must lead.
Why must he lead?

These are very interesting points you're raising for me as a lifelong Leo fan. When I was little, it was initially because he wore blue and had swords, and yeah, I think most kids are naturally attracted to leadership roles.

For me, the Nick show brought the most compelling personality to all of them. For the first time I finally really enjoyed Raph, and I probably relate most to Donnie, and Mikey has never been more lovable. As a result, I had to reevaluate my favoritism, not just for the Nick version, but for the property overall, since I was finding so much to like about all of them.

Ultimately I reaffirmed my choice of Leo, but from my new perspective it's almost entirely due to the fact that he's the least extreme of them all. He's not a super genius, or a hothead, or a goofball. He's the well rounded one. He's maybe the most "normal" and least gifted one. In a way that makes him a kind of underdog. Plus, the Nick Leo had his nerdy side, which was my new favorite thing about him. I love how he looked up to his fictional heroes and tried to live up to those ethical standards.

With today's news about Leo taking a backseat to Raph's leadership in "Rise", I'm suddenly very enthusiastic about what this show can bring. It'll force Leo to sort of establish more character that has nothing to do with just being the "ambassador" of the brothers.

Also the notion of Raph epitomizing the group appeals to me because of his red mask (since they originally all wore red), and his sai are a much more uniquely "ninja" weapon than swords.

These days I tend to find the burdens of leaderships in my fictions to be some of the least interesting aspects. Freeing up Leo from that drudgery is a huge breath of fresh air.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 07:45 PM
As long as the Turtles don't look like these hideous monsters:

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/TMNT-970x545.jpg

*shudders*

I'll be fine.

Sabacooza
11-02-2017, 08:15 PM
I hope they have the biggest nostrils yet in this version.:lol:

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm sure Leonardo will grow into the leader as the show progresses. Out of all the changes I'm surprised this is the one triggering people instead of African American April.
Well, lets put it this way. (Since I had plenty of time to think this all over at work.) What if they decided to switch Mikey and Donnie? They made Mikey so dumb for much of 2012, time to make amends by letting him be the smart one. And since we only need one of those, well Donnie will be dumbed down and in good part pointless and not really be Donnie anymore.

Now... the Mikey fans might approve of a smarter Mikey again, but going so far with it, I can't imagine Donnie's fans would appreciate the switch at all. (But hey! New and interesting, right?!)

As I was thinking at work... I'd like to know why Leo's job/role/position has often been believed that it should be open to be taken by anyone else. I've seen plenty of times where it has been suggested that others "should get to be the leader sometimes." Why... No one says this of anyone else's role. No one ever says that others should get to be the smart tech guy as if it is somehow unfair that they don't ever get to be. But somehow it's unfair that others don't get Leo's job?

Really, they all have a little of each other in themselves. Mikey may be the funny one, but they can all be pretty funny sometimes. Donnie may be the smart, sciencey, tech guy, but everyone has their moments of genius, esp Mikey, Raph has been a little bit of a gearhead himself in the past with his motorcycles, and Leo is quite bright himself but in other ways. Everyone has a bit of Raph in them at times... And Leo... any time he's out of commission or isn't present because the team split into pairs, and so on, others do get to step up and lead a little. But they don't just up and totally grab someone's else's role for themselves, and isn't who they themselves are...

So why is Leo's job often thought in the past as something that should be up for grabs by anyone else, and now this possible theft of it for an entire series. Sure, it keeps being suggested that it might be temporary, and that would be great, but it is only speculation and the fact that they've already deemed Raph as the big brother for some reason, Leo not even being able to keep that.... *sigh*

No, it's absolutely him and how he is. I have spoken plenty in the past about why he is my fave. His leadership skills thing isn't really one of the traits of his that I relate to, only look up to, but there is a hell of a lot more that I do relate to and trying to turn him into what sounds like Raph, Leo's natural polar opposite, obviously isn't going to sit well with some. Younger, rebellious sibling isn't too suggestive of his dignified, cautious, upstanding, well mannered nature, and so on. It also sounds like they may want to make him rather cocky... much like that 2007 movie I'm not fond of for the same reason and likewise feel like it was a jab at him.

And now... if Raph is still going to behave like Raph while making Leo, well, Raph-like, then what, they're just rejecting Leo's type of personalty? Yeah. Thanks. I guess a personality type some relate to is deemed "wrong."

That all said. About that cast video... Just me or does it sound like they're trying to aim for somewhat PD Donnie-ish?

Honestly... if Leo's like that, what is it going to do with his relationship with Splinter...

If we're lucky maybe the article is a mess up and they got Leo and Raph switched by mistake.
That had crossed my mind earlier, but with them I think labeling Raph as the oldest now (why that is important god only knows), I'm doubting it.

Really, why does Raph have to be oldest too? Sticking him as leader could have at least created some good brother relationship turmoil from an older Leo, because who the hell wants their younger sibling telling them what to do? (Just feels like purposely trying to strip things away from Leo because the age thing feels odd and pointless.)

oldmanwinters
11-02-2017, 08:39 PM

*shudders*

I'll be fine.

Well... keep an open mind anyway.

plastroncafe
11-02-2017, 08:43 PM
I've said it before, there's no reason why Don should be the only smart one. There's no reason why Raph is the only headstrong one. Or why Mike is the only Comic Relief.

Mirage, for all its faults, treated the characters far better than a lot of its offspring.

Mike got to be emotionally unstable after Shredder's return.
Raph and Casey fixed a truck together, hinting that both of them are at least marginally mechanically inclined.
In Dooney's "Challenges" Leo signs Raph up for the Barry Manilow Fanclub, and then we see him fall over laughing.

Nick got close to this during the first series, when we got to see Donnie get angry and frustrated. And Leo...we got to see the often stoic Leo have unbridled passion in something.

You can be good at something, or lean towards certain things, without being that thing and that thing only.

I think it's short-sighted to make Don good at all things Science.
My boss is a brilliant physicist, but routinely has problems turning his Out of Office assistant on before going on trips. Because he doesn't remember how.

I don't believe it would diminish Don at all to say, have Mikey be better at first aid than him. Or for Raph to maybe be better at plumbing or fixing cars.

Just like I don't think it'd deminish a well executed Leo for him to not be Defacto Leader.

THGhost
11-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Leo is my least favourite, but I've always liked him as the leader. I'm curious how Raph being the leader is going to work; it doesn't bother me. Neither does the African American April. TMNT has many different iterations/realities, so it makes sense.

I hope they have the biggest nostrils yet in this version.:lol:

Because that would be accurate.:P

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Both Nick and 2k3 Leo I liked and worked well as leaders.

THGhost
11-02-2017, 08:55 PM
They seem to be making a big thing about this series being a comedy. I do hope they handle Mikey with respect. He can make jokes, but don't make him dumb. :lol:

Andrew NDB
11-02-2017, 08:57 PM
I just watchef the BTS video. I noticed Mikey doesn't sound like a surfer "bruh". Anymore. Welcome change for me. Leo & Raph sound great. Don? Not so much.

I don't know... I just watched that video and while that VO wasn't channeling his inner surfer dude, he was definitely accentuating Mikey as being zany and wacky and party guy. Doesn't seem too far removed from "more of the same."

*shudders*

I'll be fine.

That's the one thing we do know they will look like. Roughly. Probably most the accessories.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 09:09 PM
I assume they meant maybe some of the bandana's, I doubt they have any intention of going that direction.

Autbot_Benz
11-02-2017, 09:10 PM
We got another Episode From Rob Paulsen's Twitter

Rob Paulsen‏Verified account @yakkopinky 20m20 minutes ago

A zillion COWABUNGA'S to my @Nickelodeon family for givin' me a shot at a new gig! TURTLE POWER, 2018!

https://i.imgur.com/sJu0dDb.jpg

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 09:10 PM
That's the one thing we do know they will look like. Roughly. Probably most the accessories.
May as well.

Granted I've actually come to like that Leo. (Some of the film's other bad choices for him aside.) But that is a really bad image of him and, well, all of them.

If they're going to screw with this thing so much, then hell, I just want it full stupid and be Team Up or look like that fake Donnie design.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 09:12 PM
LOL, I remember Rob Paulsen posted one of the Kavaxas episode titles on his twitter and Nick made him take it down.

Sighphi
11-02-2017, 09:24 PM
I'm sure Leonardo will grow into the leader as the show progresses. Out of all the changes I'm surprised this is the one triggering people instead of African American April.

people dont want to be called racist, yo.

Agreed.

Why must he lead?

All of the turtles basically revolve around a single trait. Leo's trait is leadership. Being a leader isnt just barking out orders, it's managing the team to make sure they work together, protecting them, and making hard choices. This is what this character is built on.

This is known for this character and this is why this doesnt really need an explanation.

So when they say Raphael is the leader and he is described as being the same way he usual acts... that brings some questions on why is this new setup like this if they are looking like they are keeping their standard traits.

THGhost
11-02-2017, 09:31 PM
If Raph is the leader, where does that leave Leo? :lol:

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 09:32 PM
If Raph is the leader, where does that leave Leo? :lol:

It says that he's a rebel, most likely he's going to lead the team eventually and take over from Raph by the end of Season 1.

THGhost
11-02-2017, 09:34 PM
It says that he's a rebel, most likely he's going to lead the team eventually and take over from Raph by the end of Season 1.

That seems a little pointless but I guess it'll be interesting to see.

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Not even just the leader thing as I was saying... More simply put, it sounds like their changing his personality, the very nature of who he is, or at least that's how it reads to me, which is kind of depressing, and, to me, not fair to him. (It's a little like the rather thoughtless recast of Knoxville all over again because hey, it's just Leo, who cares...)

Can he have the occasional rebellious moment? Sure, esp if there is build up to it that makes sense. Just as in 2003 he can have an angry period, or lose confidence for while there or elsewhere, and so on. But have his personality based on being a Raph-like younger rebellious sibling... Wtf.

Even PD didn't screw with this part, however not-well it was written.

Keep hoping for it Cubed, I do hope your right, but, you know... speculation. If true though, why take Leo's older brother status away, it seems so pointless unless the did it to make a point. Or as a jab at him, though I'd hope not. (God, I feel kind of like 2012 Raph fans insisting that the creators hate him. Is that what this is going to be?)

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 09:43 PM
We're going to see a Leonardo who grows into becoming the leader rather than just being the leader from the start. Makes perfect sense. Raph also still has his hot-head personality and they said Leonardo is rebellious so they will fight as usual and eventually it'll probably lead to Raph stepping down and letting Leo lead the team.

I'm willing to bet this will be a plotline running through Season 1. Then Leo will begin to lead by the finale and into Season 2.

The Nick cartoon did the same thing with various plotlines, they took entire seasons to run their course.

Leolead
11-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Not even just the leader thing as I was saying... More simply put, it sounds like their changing his personality, the very nature of who he is, or at least that's how it reads to me, which is kind of depressing, and, to me, not fair to him. (It's a little like the rather thoughtless recast of Knoxville all over again because hey, it's just Leo, who cares...)

Can he have the occasional rebellious moment? Sure, esp if there is build up to it that makes sense. Just as in 2003 he can have an angry period, or lose confidence for while there or elsewhere, and so on. But have his personality based on being a Raph-like younger rebellious sibling... Wtf.

Even PD didn't screw with this part, however not-well it was written.

Keep hoping for it Cubed, I do hope your right, but, you know... speculation. If true though, why take Leo's older brother status away, it seems so pointless unless the did it to make a point. Or as a jab at him, though I'd hope not. (God, I feel kind of like 2012 Raph fans insisting that the creators hate him. Is that what this is going to be?)
I completely agree. I don't like what they're doing with Leo at all. Just sounds like change for the sake of change.

sdp
11-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Cubed is still in denial that Leo will be leader. It'll take him a while, remember he went on for months that the 2012 hadn't been cancelled.

This show will break the conventions of what TMNT should be, hence the changes. I'm guessing no Shredder as well, obscenely different origin, no returning mutants that we like, no nods to anything from previous incarnations. We'll be so tired of all the changes we'll be wishing Shredder be in it even if its Eric Sacks underneath the mask.

THGhost
11-02-2017, 09:47 PM
God, I feel kind of like 2012 Raph fans insisting that the creators hate him. Is that what this is going to be?

I really don't get where that came from. 2012 Raph was a great character imho.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 09:50 PM
I completely agree. I don't like what they're doing with Leo at all. Just sounds like change for the sake of change.

The first episode hasn't even aired yet. We haven't even seen any designs yet. At least wait till we see this stuff before passing judgement of how they're handling Leonardo.

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 09:52 PM
We're going to see a Leonardo who grows into becoming the leader rather than just being the leader from the start. Makes perfect sense. Raph also still has his hot-head personality and they said Leonardo is rebellious so they will fight as usual and eventually it'll probably lead to Raph stepping down and letting Leo lead the team.

I'm willing to bet this will be a plotline running through Season 1. Then Leo will begin to lead by the finale and into Season 2.

The Nick cartoon did the same thing with various plotlines, they took entire seasons to run their course.
You sitting in the studio reading the scripts?

I don't disagree with allowing him to grow into the position. That's fine and all. 2012 Leo did the same, even if Splinter's decision was fast and Leo didn't face any competition. However...

I don't understand where they get idea to make him rebellious though. In what way does that even make sense to his personality since the typical attitude of rebelliousness kind of conflicts with who he generally is as a person.

They're going to make him a rebel to then what... magically change and become responsible?

Is he going to be disrespectful to Splinter now, too?

The first episode hasn't even aired yet. We haven't even seen any designs yet. At least wait till we see this stuff before passing judgement of how they're handling Leonardo.
I think people who are most interested in this character have the freedom and right to be concerned if not liking what we're hearing so far, limited as it may be...

I wouldn't fault Raph fans for feeling the same, though not much detail has been given yet to worry on that front...unless your speculations are true and they set it up to screw him over the way some of his fans too often felt 2012 did. Which would be sad to see happen again and turn into a jab at him too.

I liked him just fine myself, but I recall there being quite a bit of complaint about how he was supposedly being treated, or so some said over the course of the series.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 09:58 PM
As I said before, when the Nick show was first coming out in 2012 and the news of Leonardo being slightly nerdy and liking a Space Heroes sci-fi show people were freaking out, and then it turned out perfectly fine when the episodes aired. People were also making a big deal out of a taller Splinter for the first time, and Nick's Splinter turned out to be one of the most popular incarnations.

I'm sure it'll be similar here. Leonardo will of course still have his role as always, it's not like all the Turtles always listen to the leader in any episodes of any cartoon. The Turtles all do their own thing half the time.

THGhost
11-02-2017, 10:00 PM
I liked him just fine myself, but I recall there being quite a bit of complaint about how he was supposedly being treated, or so some said over the course of the series.

I don't see it tbh, but whatever. :P

DestronMirage22
11-02-2017, 10:16 PM
So much news regarding this new show.

Some pretty dumb changes made just for the sake of change, but I was already expecting the worst so they don’t really surprise me.
I figured this show was gonna suck, and so far there’s been nothing to convince me otherwise.

At least there’s still IDW.
Geez, I miss Mirage.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 10:17 PM
The show is gonna suck because April is black and Raph might temporarily lead the team?

I don't think so. Depends entirely on the writing and execution.

DevilSpooky
11-02-2017, 10:31 PM

You seem to believe they're actually aiming at serious character development, ongoing narrative and intricated plot lines, just wait until the show airs and is just nonsense plots, standalone episodes, cliche stereotypes and nonsense "humor" :trolleye: the more we learn about this thing the more it reeks of fail, kudus for a black April though, maybe now people finally learn that she doesn't have to be a redhead all the time and in fact she wasn't always one to begin with...

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 10:40 PM
You seem to believe they're actually aiming at serious character development, ongoing narrative and intricated plot lines, just wait until the show airs and is just nonsense plots, standalone episodes, cliche stereotypes and nonsense "humor" :trolleye: ..

Why do you think there's going to be no plotlines, ongoing continuity, etc? The show looks to be a traditional action cartoon, it'll probably have the same type of narrative the Nick cartoon had.

myconius
11-02-2017, 10:40 PM

it's the New 52 for TMNT.

in a way i'm kind of glad in this direction they are taking with the show.
it's going to be a lot easier on my wallet not feeling compelled to stream new episodes or buy the dvd releases.

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 10:41 PM
The show is gonna suck because April is black and Raph might temporarily lead the team?

Speculation... But I appreciate the belief that this thing will 'right' itself.

Is April confirmed, or are we just assuming that too? I mean... there isn't any kind of rule that an actor has to match their character in that regard. Though a black April might be cool to see. (Though after the teen April, well, any of her big fans that were wanting something again more like previous series... Welcome to the same boat.) However she turns out, I do at least hope she's an adult again, but not going to hold my breath. :ohwell:

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Is April confirmed, or are we just assuming that too? I mean... there isn't any kind of rule that an actor has to match their character in that regard. Though a black April might be cool to see. (Though after the teen April, well, any of her big fans that were wanting something again more like previous series... Welcome to the same boat.) However she turns out, I do at least hope she's an adult again, but not going to hold my breath. :ohwell:

Yeah, the article and VA says she'll be playing the first African American April O'Neil.

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Yeah, the article and VA says she'll be playing the first African American April O'Neil.
Ah, didn't remember that part specifying it. Cool. (Please be an adult again.)

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 10:44 PM
I'm fine with April being a teen again. It worked better than I thought it would. Having adult April limits her to being involved with the Turtles. Mirage, 2k3 and IDW April might as well barely exist half the time. Only reason original cartoon April was always there was the reporter angle.

DestronMirage22
11-02-2017, 10:55 PM

No, not solely because of those reasons.
I think it will because based off the description they gave of the show, it’s going to be a childish one focused mostly on humor instead of actual plot/storytelling.
I thought the 2012 show was too immature at times, and apparently this new one is gonna be more “lighthearted” than that one? Yeesh.

As far as black April is concerned, it doesn’t bother me at all. I know her being of color has roots from the past, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the reason they’re doing it. It seems like changing a characters gender or race or introducing diverse characters in their place has become something that’s been happening a lot, and Nick’s probably just going along with it too.

And Raphael being the leader’s just a dumb decision.
One that feels like it’s being done just for the sake of change.
And surely it won’t be the last.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 10:57 PM
It's still way too early to say anything given we haven't even seen designs of any of the characters yet, let alone a trailer showing the tone of the show.

After we get those things and if it looks bad, then I can understand. But right now literally nothing has been revealed yet.

plastroncafe
11-02-2017, 11:09 PM
Isn't a reboot, by definition, change for the sake of change?

sdp
11-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Let's have a new Usagi Yojimbo comic, but let's make Miyamoto a Chipmunk instead, we're not animal-ists and there's already too many rabbits in media. Also Gen will be the Samurai and Miyamoto the bounty hunter, we've already had so many years of Usagi being the samurai so why not have them change roles.

CyberCubed
11-02-2017, 11:21 PM
There have been like 50+ incarnations of Batman since the 40's.

Having 4 TMNT cartoons isn't going to kill anybody.

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 11:25 PM
*eyes shut*

It's just a bad fan AU...it's just a bad fan AU...it's just a bad fan AU...

*peeks*

Did it come true yet...?

Just how old am I gonna have to be until another cartoon brings the real Leo and Raph back... You know this age stuff is no laughing matter. lol I don't want to wait until I'm old!

Let's have a new Usagi Yojimbo comic, but let's make Miyamoto a Chipmunk instead, we're not animal-ists and there's already too many rabbits in media. Also Gen will be the Samurai and Miyamoto the bounty hunter, we've already had so many years of Usagi being the samurai so why not have them change roles.
Oh, definitely. Usagi should also not suffer the death of his master but massacre him himself because reasons.

sdp
11-02-2017, 11:29 PM
There's a fine line with what can be done, look at the Karate Kid reboot, the kid doesn't even learn Karate but it worked, a new story unrelated to the original, more of a spiritual sequel than a remake or anything of the sorts. The Halloween remake is thought of as boring since it's exactly the same thing with only bits and pieces here. Shin Godzilla changed the mythos a bunch but it worked, aren't people's main complains about Man of Steel is that he isn't Superman enough? Why does he always have to be the goody two shoes?Black Kingpin in the Daredevil movie is good while black Wally West in The Flash is awful despite the movie being panned and the show praised. It's all about execution, changing established characters roles only works if it really is better than what was done before and fills the role nicely.

We won't know how the show will be until it starts airing but its fun to speculate. I'll admit that most of what we are getting are red flags but we don't know.

TMNT fans aren't known for their approval of changes despite that the OT is full of them from Mirage, then again most people who like the OT didn't know what Mirage in spite of the internet telling us that everyone was a mirage fan since always. Just look at how The Next Mutation is treated.

IndigoErth
11-02-2017, 11:37 PM
I just wish that instead of reboots and changing stupid stuff for the sake of change, more people would focus on a continuity instead. The Turtles we still know and love, but a new later chapter in their lives and new stories. This one I guess is trying to do that (sorta... not the later chapter part), but why screw with them in the process... Would prefer that changes stick to the area of development and additions that work, not hey, lets bastardize the hell of out of this thing because why not.

I don't personally have a problem with the Turtles remaining the same people all the time, personally wise, that part doesn't exactly get stale (I mean, it's like wanting a family member to change personally because you're bored of it)... retelling the same stories do. I'd like new and different stories. Not different Turtles, as far as personalities, roles, and other traits go. They wanna change them, then geeze... change art style and give them some new hobbies, annoyances, friends and so forth...

It's a shame though... I'd long wished that after the current series ended they'd surprise us and continue with a second.

And then we got this. Whatever the heck it is. :ohwell: Just my luck. Sorry. Think I jinxed it. (It had to be me, that's the only reason the universe would conspire to do that to my fave Turtle.)

Ninjinister
11-03-2017, 12:15 AM
I just wish that instead of reboots and changing stupid stuff for the sake of change, more people would focus on a continuity instead.

Maaaan who wants to see the same damn thing over and over?

Cure
11-03-2017, 12:22 AM
Boring people with no imagination.

Krutch
11-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Whoa, whoa... Kat Graham is voicing April O'Niel? That's nuts! I brought her up as a potential April when dream casting a new movie only a couple weeks ago. This is kinda like a wish fulfilment for me. Awesome :)

Sighphi
11-03-2017, 01:05 AM
There have been like 50+ incarnations of Batman since the 40's.

Having 4 TMNT cartoons isn't going to kill anybody.

and in those 50+ incarnations Bruce was always the Bat, Alfred was always Alfred, and Robin was always Robin. Except when he was Nightwing.

Boring people with no imagination.

Why you dissing the creators, yo?

Im sure Nick put hard rules which is why they cant create a totally new show from a different dimension where all of this would make sense.

Oh maybe this is a different dimension but they wont market it as that because the normies would get confused.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
11-03-2017, 01:11 AM

Maybe to you, but not to a lot of us.

His stand alone episodes were just him 'fixing one of his own mistakes'. That's it. You want examples?

Slash And Destroy? He mistakenly made Slash cause he was the one who took the ooze and kept it there, didn't pay attention, had nagged at Spike about his brothers...and thus almost got them killed in one of the more brutal beatdowns that his brothers got. And it was Raph's fault.

Spider-Bytz? Raph got mad, got their picture taken, kept screwing up, and at the end had to come and fix his own mistakes.

Raph tried to lead, failing horribly and almost ending up in getting Mikey killed. Which they didn't follow up on in future stories.

The Roach who was mad because Raph tried to kill it...thus Raph helped cause the Roach to go after them, and got to be so much of a Chicken that he ran off when his family was in trouble.

Or when Raph found Zog and pretended to be his 'commander' without telling his family about it? When Zog gains back his head? He speaks of how the Triceraton Empire values loyalty and honor, and Raphael had none of those qualities since the guy had lied to him and told him that he/Raph was Zog's commander, thus he will activate a Triceraton Beacon, alerting the Triceraton Armada of the Kraang's infestation of Earth, and giving them the signal to begin their attack and destroy Earth. Which lead to blowing up the Earth. And for those who want to counter that? Watch the episode again, and give me a counterpoint. Please do.

Let's see...what else: getting turned into a plant, or turned into a vampire way early on in an arc and was deemed useless/a hassle to deal with...thus not helping the other Turtles in dealing with the monsters at all, not doing anything with the fact that it was him and April with Splinter when Splinter was killed (the second time...you think maybe they could have done something with Raph witnessing that firsthand and right in front of him), getting mind-controlled and getting no payback from that, stupidly getting his own brain switched with a Kraang...how many examples does one need?

I'm not trying to be mean or rude. I'm just stating these in a matter of fact way.

1. What made Raph an important, necessary part of the team? Especially in the last couple seasons? Honestly nothing...other than falling in love with a mutant lizard and getting Chompy...which even THAT lead to the Earth being in danger once again (because of Raph, who brought Chompy with them)...so that's ANOTHER mistake he had to fix.
2. If Raph had died in say...the beginning of season 3...would anything have changed? Nah, not really.

He had no importance in the results of the main storylines and he was just the butt of many jokes.

Leo got to save the day in multiple season finales, and take out the Shredder.

Mikey got to be the expert of Dimension X as well as many moments to shine (making the antidote to save them from the parasites, saving them from the 'killer pizza'...as silly as that was...they weren't stories of 'Mikey fixing the mistakes that he started in the first place ala Raphael).

Don got to be the one making the mutagen to turn people back into humans, among other things.

Even April became more of a worthwhile teammate than Raphael. Feel free to name all of the 'accomplishments that 2012 Raph made as a character' without having to go 'well, he fixed a mistake that he got himself in'.

The guy was even afraid of HORSES for crying out loud (yeah I know, for a joke...Ha and Ha).

I could go on for a long time. Trust me. If you disagree? That's fine. But I would just say that I don't really get where you're coming from...the 2012 Raphael was just a detriment to the team. A constant hassle who either someone else needed to bail out or got controlled, switched, 'planted', ran from bugs/horses, knocked out, or defeated...or 'he had to fix the mistake he/himself' started.

Autbot_Benz
11-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Am I the only one who is gonna wait and see How Raph does as Leader and Leo does in his new role instead of getting Triggered and upset? Leo will probably be leader later in the show.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Nick's Raph was one of my favorite versions of him. I wonder how this new one will stack up, I guess we'll see.

Am I the only one who is gonna wait and see How Raph does as Leader and Leo does in his new role instead of getting Triggered and upset? Leo will probably be leader later in the show.

This is what I expect to. This Leonardo will grow into the leadership role while Raph will probably blunder being the leader due to his hot-head personality. Then they'll settle into the usual roles.

newfan
11-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Well I knew when I got up there would be at least another 3 pages of new posts on this thread :)
The new show news brought me on a downer yesterday, but here were are.

I don't think they have done this because Raph wasn't used as he could have been in the 2012 show, they could do more with with him in his usual role if they wanted to do that. As for the theory of Leo earning leadership and growing into that role, wouldn't that depend on the target age group for this show? If it's younger children would they go to that depth? I'm not saying it isn't, just speculating.
If it does remain permanent then I will just have to take the view that it is only for this show and like the others, it will end too.

Ninjinister
11-03-2017, 01:44 AM
Why you dissing the creators, yo?
What creators? Random whiny fans haven't created anything except annoyance.

Im sure Nick put hard rules which is why they cant create a totally new show from a different dimension where all of this would make sense.

Oh maybe this is a different dimension but they wont market it as that because the normies would get confused.

The hell are you talking about? They aren't rewriting 2012 or any other series. It's its own thing and if they keep with the multiverse aspect it'll very much be its "own" dimension, so you're completely off-base.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
11-03-2017, 04:18 AM
As for the topic at hand...if they want to do this 'Raph is the leader and Leo is different' take on it? Then go for it. Full Force. Don't go 'half in' and then now follow through.

That was a one of the problems with the 2012 show. They brought up the whole 'Don and April/love thing' but kept meandering around for 5 years...with no conclusion and no follow through.

If the makers want to make Raph the leader?

1. Do a good job writing it.

2. Follow through with it. If they do this whole 'well Raph is a leader, sucks at it, Leo becomes leader' and it just ends up at the same thing as before? Then it would be just one gigantic 'What Was the Point Of It All'...aka what would be the point if you don't actually Follow Through with some conviction.

Either do it 100% or don't bring it up in the first place. Show a problematic Raph but, by storytelling and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, actually deal with someone working out their problems and becoming better. Don't do a 'he has anger, learned his lesson, back to square one in the next episode'. Many are tired of that.

I'm fine with things being different. For example, I actually liked the idea of Splinter's daughter being Karai in the 2012 show.

It's if they are different AND they suck ass. The Platinum Dunes flicks were different...but they also sucked.

And I'm fine with April being black. Just don't give her any stupid super powers and be as annoying as the 2012 April. Please.

Leolead
11-03-2017, 04:31 AM
There's a fine line with what can be done, look at the Karate Kid reboot, the kid doesn't even learn Karate but it worked, a new story unrelated to the original, more of a spiritual sequel than a remake or anything of the sorts. The Halloween remake is thought of as boring since it's exactly the same thing with only bits and pieces here. Shin Godzilla changed the mythos a bunch but it worked, aren't people's main complains about Man of Steel is that he isn't Superman enough? Why does he always have to be the goody two shoes?Black Kingpin in the Daredevil movie is good while black Wally West in The Flash is awful despite the movie being panned and the show praised. It's all about execution, changing established characters roles only works if it really is better than what was done before and fills the role nicely.

We won't know how the show will be until it starts airing but its fun to speculate. I'll admit that most of what we are getting are red flags but we don't know.

TMNT fans aren't known for their approval of changes despite that the OT is full of them from Mirage, then again most people who like the OT didn't know what Mirage in spite of the internet telling us that everyone was a mirage fan since always. Just look at how The Next Mutation is treated.
You forgot Spider-Man: Homecoming. Which changed many iconic elements (MJ, Flash, May, Uncle Ben not existing, Peter's suit being like Stark's etc) just for the sake of change.

I guess that's the trend with these reboots. It's like the more reboots a property gets, the more each reboot subsequently gets further & further away from the original source material.

Sabacooza
11-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Maybe to you, but not to a lot of us.

His stand alone episodes were just him 'fixing one of his own mistakes'. That's it. You want examples?

Slash And Destroy? He mistakenly made Slash cause he was the one who took the ooze and kept it there, didn't pay attention, had nagged at Spike about his brothers...and thus almost got them killed in one of the more brutal beatdowns that his brothers got. And it was Raph's fault.

Spider-Bytz? Raph got mad, got their picture taken, kept screwing up, and at the end had to come and fix his own mistakes.

Raph tried to lead, failing horribly and almost ending up in getting Mikey killed. Which they didn't follow up on in future stories.

The Roach who was mad because Raph tried to kill it...thus Raph helped cause the Roach to go after them, and got to be so much of a Chicken that he ran off when his family was in trouble.

Or when Raph found Zog and pretended to be his 'commander' without telling his family about it? When Zog gains back his head? He speaks of how the Triceraton Empire values loyalty and honor, and Raphael had none of those qualities since the guy had lied to him and told him that he/Raph was Zog's commander, thus he will activate a Triceraton Beacon, alerting the Triceraton Armada of the Kraang's infestation of Earth, and giving them the signal to begin their attack and destroy Earth. Which lead to blowing up the Earth. And for those who want to counter that? Watch the episode again, and give me a counterpoint. Please do.

Let's see...what else: getting turned into a plant, or turned into a vampire way early on in an arc and was deemed useless/a hassle to deal with...thus not helping the other Turtles in dealing with the monsters at all, not doing anything with the fact that it was him and April with Splinter when Splinter was killed (the second time...you think maybe they could have done something with Raph witnessing that firsthand and right in front of him), getting mind-controlled and getting no payback from that, stupidly getting his own brain switched with a Kraang...how many examples does one need?

I'm not trying to be mean or rude. I'm just stating these in a matter of fact way.

1. What made Raph an important, necessary part of the team? Especially in the last couple seasons? Honestly nothing...other than falling in love with a mutant lizard and getting Chompy...which even THAT lead to the Earth being in danger once again (because of Raph, who brought Chompy with them)...so that's ANOTHER mistake he had to fix.
2. If Raph had died in say...the beginning of season 3...would anything have changed? Nah, not really.

He had no importance in the results of the main storylines and he was just the butt of many jokes.

Leo got to save the day in multiple season finales, and take out the Shredder.

Mikey got to be the expert of Dimension X as well as many moments to shine (making the antidote to save them from the parasites, saving them from the 'killer pizza'...as silly as that was...they weren't stories of 'Mikey fixing the mistakes that he started in the first place ala Raphael).

Don got to be the one making the mutagen to turn people back into humans, among other things.

Even April became more of a worthwhile teammate than Raphael. Feel free to name all of the 'accomplishments that 2012 Raph made as a character' without having to go 'well, he fixed a mistake that he got himself in'.

The guy was even afraid of HORSES for crying out loud (yeah I know, for a joke...Ha and Ha).

I could go on for a long time. Trust me. If you disagree? That's fine. But I would just say that I don't really get where you're coming from...the 2012 Raphael was just a detriment to the team. A constant hassle who either someone else needed to bail out or got controlled, switched, 'planted', ran from bugs/horses, knocked out, or defeated...or 'he had to fix the mistake he/himself' started.Amen to that. You summed it up perfectly. Clearly the worst handled version and total waste of a character. Maybe this time it'll be better.

Vegita-San
11-03-2017, 05:55 AM
Amen to that. You summed it up perfectly. Clearly the worst handled version and total waste of a character. Maybe this time it'll be better.

uh oh, you where critical. Cue rant from certain members ;o).

but I do agree that with each reboot, things seem to get away from the source material just for the sake of change. and each person who changes something, if it WORKs, pats themselves on the back for their 'ingenuity'. sigh.

I'm willing to give black april a chance, IF and ONLY IF because she WAS black for a few early issues before they decided what to do with the character. but I hope this isn't a permanent character change just to add in more diversity. and that's normally what this stuff reeks of in hollywood, because the hypocrites are too scared to add new diverse characters.

TheBlueTurtle1
11-03-2017, 06:04 AM
This is shaping up to suck big time.:oops:

myconius
11-03-2017, 06:05 AM
i'm disappointed Splinter won't be a Turtle and then have Leo, Mike, Don and Raph be a pack of Rats.

but the really important question is-

will we get 'Cowabunga', 'Booyakasha', or will it be something new?

more importantly, when will we start seeing the new toys?

newfan
11-03-2017, 06:20 AM
i'm disappointed Splinter won't be a Turtle and then have Leo, Mike, Don and Raph be a pack of Rats.

but the really important question is-

will we get 'Cowabunga', 'Booyakasha', or will it be something new?

more importantly, when will we start seeing the new toys?

Maybe they won't even have a phrase. Booyakasha was Cipes idea for Mikey in 2012, I liked it better than Cowabunga but I think it will die with 2012, Cowabunga is more likely to be used again.

Toys, closer to the time, after we've seen the designs :)

matteso586
11-03-2017, 06:52 AM
I know it's a late reply, but I don't think that April will be an African American in this series. The voice actor doesn't need to be the same skin tone as the character they're voicing. Take Cree Summer and Dave Fennoy for example.

THGhost
11-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Hopefully we'll see the Turtle designs by the end of 2017.

newfan
11-03-2017, 07:09 AM
I know it's a late reply, but I don't think that April will be an African American in this series. The voice actor doesn't need to be the same skin tone as the character they're voicing. Take Cree Summer and Dave Fennoy for example.

The character ethnicity has been confirmed, she is.

myconius
11-03-2017, 07:17 AM
but will they still eat Pizza???

maybe they'll now eat Hot Dogs, or Hamburgers or Halal food?

THGhost
11-03-2017, 07:28 AM
but will they still eat Pizza???

maybe they'll now eat Hot Dogs, or Hamburgers or Halal food?

I think the Nick Turtles ate stuff besides pizza, I might be remembering that wrong. But Mikey was definitely still obsessed with it. :P

newfan
11-03-2017, 07:31 AM
I think the Nick Turtles ate stuff besides pizza, I might be remembering that wrong. But Mikey was definitely still obsessed with it. :P

They all loved it still in 2012 but didn't someone say something about pizza being their weakness, like it was bad for them in the new series? or was that part of the fake leak information also?

myconius
11-03-2017, 07:31 AM
in this new version they are going to eat Sea Bass, so we'll finally get to see Bass to mouth. :P

TheBlueTurtle1
11-03-2017, 07:51 AM
I hope they rather entertain us with well written stories and characters. Not change things just for the sake of it, or in PC.

SwiftNinjaFox
11-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Agreed.

Which turtle fights off the entire Foot Clan making his way across the city until he's finally surrounded by all of them PLUS Shredder in the original comics?

Which turtle fights off dozens upon dozens of Foot ninjas until Shredder bests him and tosses him off a roof?

Leo is a bad ass in his own right and he's often overlooked at just how skilled he really is.

He's dedicated, disciplined, and supposed to be a tactician. As far as what a "ninja" is in pop culture, Leo is the one that most often offers that. The stealth entry, the sword fighting imagery. Yet he's also the antithesis of a ninja at the same time. He's honestly a samurai at heart more than the "anything goes" ninja. Honor, fealty and dedication to his family rather than a Shogun, there's the spirituality of the samurai in Leo. Just as a samurai lived their life ready to die for their master, Leo seems like he would be willing to sacrifice himself for his brothers without hesitation.

That dedication is what sets him apart. While Mikey often plays video games or watches TV, Raph would rather go and do his own thing, and Don is tinkering with machines, Leonardo dedicates himself to honing his skills to absolute perfection and nothing less will do. Because if they aren't honed to perfection, he will not be prepared to defend his family.

I'd actually like to see them expand on "samurai Leo" in having him practicing more of the traditions of samurai; learning archery, reading poetry, learning calligraphy. Things that seem unnecessary but the discipline itself is why they're necessary to him.

Hell, a samurai nature would be interesting to have him butt heads with Splinter, who is training them to be NINJA, who were masters of subterfuge, espionage, assassination, and any means necessary tactics. Having Leo struggle to reconcile the two would be an avenue to explore and offer more depth that most don't consider exploring.

THGhost
11-03-2017, 07:52 AM
I could totally see Casey as a homosexual. (I'm joking)

TheBlueTurtle1
11-03-2017, 07:55 AM

Wouldn't surprise me, this seems very PC.:cry:

SwiftNinjaFox
11-03-2017, 08:13 AM
You forgot Spider-Man: Homecoming. Which changed many iconic elements (MJ, Flash, May, Uncle Ben not existing, Peter's suit being like Stark's etc) just for the sake of change.

Hold on, now, nothing says Uncle Ben didn't exist. They're just not blatantly in your face about it like showing Batman's origin every new film.

"When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you." - Peter Park in Civil War. That pretty much explains his wrestler to hero origin due to Ben's death.

In Homecoming, he tells Ned he can't let Aunt May find out he's Spider-Man, not after everything she's been through. What tragedy would that be if not losing her husband?

I'll agree changing MJ, Flash, and the standard Spidey suit being Iron Spider suit without looking like Iron Spider was all a bit too much, though.

THGhost
11-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Uncle Ben did exist in Homecoming. Just because he isn't mentioned by name, that doesn't mean he didn't exist. It was done that way because audiences are no doubt sick of the same old thing.

myconius
11-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Which turtle fights off the entire Foot Clan making his way across the city until he's finally surrounded by all of them PLUS Shredder in the original comics?

Which turtles fights off dozens upon dozens of Foot ninjas until Shredder bests him and tosses him off a roof?

Leo is a bad ass in his own right and he's often overlooked at just how skilled he really is.

He's dedicated, disciplined, and supposed to be a tactician. As far as what a "ninja" is in pop culture, Leo is the one that most often offers that. The stealth entry, the sword fighting imagery. Yet he's also the antithesis of a ninja at the same time. He's honestly a samurai at heart more than the "anything goes" ninja. Honor, fealty and dedication to his family rather than a Shogun, there's the spirituality of the samurai in Leo. Just as a samurai lived their life ready to die for their master, Leo seems like he would be willing to sacrifice himself for his brothers without hesitation.

That dedication is what sets him apart. While Mikey often plays video games or watches TV, Raph would rather go and do his own thing, and Don is tinkering with machines, Leonardo dedicates himself to honing his skills to absolute perfection and nothing less will do. Because if they aren't honed to perfection, he will not be prepared to defend his family.

I'd actually like to see them expand on "samurai Leo" in having him practicing more of the traditions of samurai; learning archery, reading poetry, learning calligraphy. Things that seem unnecessary but the discipline itself is why they're necessary to him.

Hell, a samurai nature would be interesting to have him butt heads with Splinter, who is training them to be NINJA, who were masters of subterfuge, espionage, assassination, and any means necessary tactics. Having Leo struggle to reconcile the two would be an avenue to explore and offer more depth that most don't consider exploring.

you've summed up Leonardo brilliantly.

this new 'cool guy' image for Leo as well as the choice for voice casting holds zero appeal for me at all.

you want to change Leo from being the leader? whatever. make Mikey the leader for all i care.

even the Solson martial arts training guide had said (in different words) the Katana blade is a weapon that requires absolute discipline to weald, and should not be taken lightly.

what always drew me to Leonardo in the past was his dedication, determination and perseverance.

but isn't this new show is supposed to be lighter, and more humor based anyway?

guess it doesn't really matter at that point.

BOOYAKA-BUNGA-SHAAAA!!! :P

plastroncafe
11-03-2017, 08:21 AM

Which turtle fights off dozens upon dozens of Foot ninjas until Shredder bests him and tosses him off a roof?

Congratulations for not being the kind of person I was speaking about in the first place.

Are you kidding?
Everything Casey Jones has ever done in any continuity has been an over compensation for one thing or another.

That dude is in the closet so deep he might as well be in Narnia.

THGhost
11-03-2017, 08:25 AM

Are you kidding?
Everything Casey Jones has ever done in any continuity has been an over compensation for one thing or another.

That dude is in the closet so deep he might as well be in Narnia.

:lol::lol::lol:

myconius
11-03-2017, 08:29 AM
leaked audio from the new music theme.

Llzrn8tqvCU

sdp
11-03-2017, 08:32 AM
I think we're ready for a trans April O'Neil.

plastroncafe
11-03-2017, 08:33 AM
How do you know we haven't already had one?

Sumac
11-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Let's not beat around bush and drool on the sausages - it's time to make Turtles gay!!! :trolleye:

RaphaelinSTL
11-03-2017, 09:58 AM
My thoughts are that if anything ... this series might not even catch on and then we'll just have a random one off within the whole TMNT lore. The marketing is going to be super heavy those first few months, but who knows ... it might drop off if the eyeballs aren't there.

Look at all the different Batman cartoons there have been. Some have been fun, some have been real ****. I mean ... look at this Joker.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/f/fe/Joker_The_Batman_01.jpg

Hopefully if it's not worth anyone's time, it'll fade away quietly.

DestronMirage22
11-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Let's not beat around bush and drool on the sausages - it's time to make Turtles gay!!! :trolleye:

Hey, if that’s really an itch you need scratched there’s always Adventures #∞. O.o
It’s sorta semi-official.

Redeemer
11-03-2017, 10:25 AM
My thoughts are that if anything ... this series might not even catch on and then we'll just have a random one off within the whole TMNT lore. The marketing is going to be super heavy those first few months, but who knows ... it might drop off if the eyeballs aren't there.

Look at all the different Batman cartoons there have been. Some have been fun, some have been real ****. I mean ... look at this Joker.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/f/fe/Joker_The_Batman_01.jpg

I actually enjoyed "The Batman" series
If you want to talk about a crappy Batman series just looked at the last one that got canned in the middle of the first season :lol:

plastroncafe
11-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Mike's already a hedonist to enjoy the pleasures of the flesh.

If you want to talk about a crappy Batman series just looked at the last one that got canned in the middle of the first season :lol:

Beware the Bat was cool. It was a damn shame that got cut as quick as it did.

Leolead
11-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Hold on, now, nothing says Uncle Ben didn't exist. They're just not blatantly in your face about it like showing Batman's origin every new film.

"When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you." - Peter Park in Civil War. That pretty much explains his wrestler to hero origin due to Ben's death.

In Homecoming, he tells Ned he can't let Aunt May find out he's Spider-Man, not after everything she's been through. What tragedy would that be if not losing her husband?

I'll agree changing MJ, Flash, and the standard Spidey suit being Iron Spider suit without looking like Iron Spider was all a bit too much, though.

Uncle Ben did exist in Homecoming. Just because he isn't mentioned by name, that doesn't mean he didn't exist. It was done that way because audiences are no doubt sick of the same old thing.

I'm pretty sure he didn't exist. As May isn't sad at all & Peter's "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" has been replaced with "I want to be an Avenger". Plus Tony was essentially giving him Ben's speech during the Ferry incident "What if somebody died, that's on you if they do'

Ben is the ENTIRE reason why he became Spider-Man & he couldn't even get so much as a mention in Homecoming.

So yeah, my point still stands about these reboots becoming more & more removed from the original source material. And the same thing that happened with Homecoming & MOS, is happening with TMNT. They're missing the point of why things were they were. Leo is the leader for a REASON. Raph is the hothead rebel for a reason. You shouldn't just change key, established, ICONIC elements because "You wanna be fresh" It's stupid & contrived in my opinion.

@Cubed I don't want to see Leo go on a "journey" to become the Leo we all know & love when that's the way he was when he was fricking introduced!

ProphetofGanja
11-03-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure he didn't exist. As May isn't sad at all & Peter's "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" has been replaced with "I want to be an Avenger". Plus Tony was essentially giving him Ben's speech during the Ferry incident "What if somebody died, that's on you if they do'

Ben is the ENTIRE reason why he became Spider-Man & he couldn't even get so much as a mention in Homecoming.

Uncle Ben definitely existed; Peter wore his suit to the homecoming dance

Autbot_Benz
11-03-2017, 11:13 AM

Its already been confirmed April is African American

Also to everyone in this thread we still haven't seen any character designs or a trailer so

https://i.imgur.com/hrmKEXR.gif

neatoman
11-03-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm just gonna post these.

https://pre00.deviantart.net/8303/th/pre/i/2014/231/3/3/black_april_o_neil_by_actionkiddy-d7vwd2w.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a4/31/98/a431985631e14170f75fb9d1a3da39c4.jpg

myconius
11-03-2017, 11:32 AM

^yes! this! and change their masks to rainbow!

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Nick's Raph was probably my favorite version of the character. Perfect mix between the sarcasm of the original cartoon one and the anger of all the other ones. 2k3 Raph became too much of a parody of a meathead as the series progressed, and the other Raph's toe the line between the two. He had many great episodes and moments too, even if the writers did have him change into weird forms in a lot of episodes.

Sighphi
11-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Yes, you are the only one that comes to a forum to tell us you are not going to have a discussion about a subject.

If she wasnt going to be now she has to be because it's everywhere that she is.

How about making him latino?

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 11:37 AM
I actually would have rathered black Casey over black April, but oh well.

RaphaelinSTL
11-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Another thing to keep in mind too ... if this show is loved by a younger audience, it does help keep the brand profitable in Viacom's eyes and might keep motivation for making more retro merchandise for us older fans. Yeah, while the current show might not be something you're dying to watch all the time but at least the IP would still be thriving in a way.

Sorry ... just got a lot of thoughts coming to mind. I think the main thing for me is just to start seeing some designs now.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Also if a TMNT incarnation bombs Nick/Viacom does bury it. Look at what happened to the Platinum Dunes movies, they basically canceled them and buried them six feet under.

It's not like Nick will keep something around if it doesn't work.

THGhost
11-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Was Batman: The Brave and the Bold any good?

He did. Peter says this in Homecoming: "I can’t do this [to May] after everything that happened." This is Peter telling his friend Ned that May can't know that he's Spider-Man because of how recently she lost Ben. Uncle Ben definitely exists.

Now I'm imagining what a TMNT origin story would look like without Splinter. Not too sure it could work.

How about making him latino?

A black Casey or a black April... either one would be perfectly fine with me.

plastroncafe
11-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Was Batman: The Brave and the Bold any good?

Brave and the Bold was AMAZING.
But you have to go into realizing it's a cartoon of an Adam West'esque Bats.
So it's ridiculous by design.

Plus it's got my favorite version of Aquaman.

THGhost
11-03-2017, 12:05 PM

I was never a fan of Adam West's Batman (don't hate me), but I'm up for a more silly Batman cartoon I guess. :P

ProphetofGanja
11-03-2017, 12:11 PM

I love the episode with Space Ghost

I wish Space Ghost could get an updated show

plastroncafe
11-03-2017, 12:14 PM
I love the episode with Space Ghost

I wish Space Ghost could get an updated show

I wish Space Ghost Coast to Coast would come back...

"Mite-Fall," the series finale of Brave and the Bold is hands down one of the best animated things I've ever seen.

ProphetofGanja
11-03-2017, 12:20 PM
I wish Space Ghost Coast to Coast would come back...

"Mite-Fall," the series finale of Brave and the Bold is hands down one of the best animated things I've ever seen.

I have only tracked down a few episodes of The Brave and the Bold that caught my attention enough to watch, but reading the description of Mitefall makes me want to watch that one as well.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Brave and the Bold is only 65 episodes long, it's not hard to watch and marathon a short show like that in about 2 weeks times.

TMNT cartoons go on for over 100's of episodes, but most other superhero shows are short-lived. TMNT fans are used to long running series.

Vegita-San
11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
^yes! this! and change their masks to rainbow!

Stop giving them ideas people. seriously, there is a person at nick reading this right now and thinking all these idea changes are brillaint.

Next Iteration, Mikey will be the mensa student, and don a meth head ;).

plastroncafe
11-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Didn't the original toon already put them into rainbow bandannas?

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Vegita-san is trolling like usual. It seems that's his only purpose in the Nick section.

Candy Kappa
11-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Batman Brave and the Bold is the perfect love-letter to the Silver Age of Comics, it's a great show. It doesn't shy from being absolutely silly and bonkers like comics where in the 50's and 60's and it doesn't shy away from being really emotional, serious and dark as well.

And The Birds of Prey got one of the best song numbers that almost passed the censors :lol:

RaphaelinSTL
11-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Yeah, in talking with my brother today he had even said that how much he liked how Batman was portrayed in that one as opposed to some of the questionable design choices for the villains.

I COMPLETELY forgot about Beware the Batman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beware_the_Batman).

Three months after the series premiere, Beware the Batman was pulled from the Cartoon Network schedule and put on hiatus on October 23, 2013. Cartoon Network did not provide an official explanation, leading fans to believe that the series had already been canceled....

....Cartoon Network then declared the series a financial failure and decided to "write it off".

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Batman has had constant reboots:

B:TAS (leading into Batman Beyond and Justice League)

The Batman

Brave and the Bold

Beware the Batman

Young Justice had a Batman

Justice League Action

And this is not even counting the DC animated movies on DVD with all different Batman's.

plastroncafe
11-03-2017, 01:38 PM
And The Birds of Prey got one of the best song numbers that almost passed the censors :lol:

I have no idea who was responsible for that, but I do believe I owe them a drink.

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 02:01 PM

This forum needs a "like" option! Maybe that 'love' one. :tlove:

Would love to see all that too. Development in good ways for him would be awesome, esp when some versions don't really seem to know what to do with him other than the basics. (I mean look at PD 2014, he's mostly just present... Grateful 2016 tried harder for him.) I WANT more for him, he deserves more, but changing him as person just to get it as this show suggests... :ohwell: Trying to make him the rebellious one feels so counter to who he is, I have a hard time seeing how it (and the other details) won't very possibly have far reaching implications to it.

------------------------------------------

People's fave Turtles (or other characters) are for a reason. If I was into rebellious bad boys or related to him in some way, I might have gone for Raph. But I'm not. I like my dignified, honorable, hard working, wise, self sacrificing big brother, heart of gold boy scout, spiritual, awesome baddass (and all the other many things he is) hero just the way he is. If some find that "boring," then he isn't for them, and if leaving him alone and keeping all that intact is "boring" then maybe TMNT isn't for them anymore. Including show creators...

How great that people who don't get him and aren't even into him and don't really care because they find him "boring" get to try to change him to suit themselves. My absolute favorite fictional character out of all things fiction... sorry, it does create a sore spot for sure. And a little insulting and sad that those who like and relate to Leo most are kind of sidelined if they indeed make him more Raph-like.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Both 2k3 and Nick Leo were rather rebellious.

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 02:39 PM
And turtles by nature have nostrils.

*boots CyberCubed outside*

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I don't think we've ever had a Leo without a rebellious side to be honest. Every series has him going off on his own at some point.

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Acting independently isn't exactly the same as being rebellious though, esp as it has tended to have a greater purpose than just being a butthead.

As I have already said, probably pages ago now, having an occasional somewhat rebellious moment is one thing. Just as 2003 had that angry period. Or in various versions he loses confidence for a time and other things. I mean, periodic things is no biggie and it's part of a story and hopefully built up to.

2012 Leo as well, for example, when his brothers didn't know he was helping Karai and Shini. It's behavior that is a bit unlike him and surprising to his family and friends who were disappointed in it. That stuff is periodic. For what it is, its fine. Those moments don't really define who he is outside of it.

An actual character description as possibly intended for a duration of a series though? That's definitely different than just periodic stuff.

I can't say I've known too many rebellious type people who held much in the way of Leo-like qualities... They're more likely to think Raph is best.

Vegita-San
11-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Batman Brave and the Bold is the perfect love-letter to the Silver Age of Comics, it's a great show. It doesn't shy from being absolutely silly and bonkers like comics where in the 50's and 60's and it doesn't shy away from being really emotional, serious and dark as well.

Bingo. if we HAD to go 'more kid like' I'd LOVE a Brave and the Bold Option. they even took super silly ideas like rainbow batman and made it awesome.

I don't see that happening with nick based on what we've been shown so far.

neatoman
11-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Why exactly?

sdp
11-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Brave and the Bold is nothing like Adam West Batman but it's awesome since it explores the more wacky non-gritty/realistic aspects of the franchise and its basically fan service galore. Season 1 is weak.

The Batman is hated but I liked a lot of the changes it did and it gave us some excellent characters eventually the show turned into Batman TAS lite which is when people started to like the show but for me it was the opposite since it was just a lesser version of BTAS instead of being its own thing.

We just got a more "traditional" TMNT show, if they were going to do something similar they would've just given us a sixth season, it's obvious this will be different, while I've been trolling about it I indeed wanted a Teen Titans Go type of show full of inside jokes of TMNT, it would've been something different.

Changing stuff up is good but not at the expense of changing something for the sake of doing it. There's a fine balance and not many show can get it right. Most posts in this thread will age really bad as soon as the first episode airs.

newfan
11-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Acting independently isn't exactly the same as being rebellious though, esp as it has tended to have a greater purpose than just being a butthead.

As I have already said, probably pages ago now, having an occasional somewhat rebellious moment is one thing. Just as 2003 had that angry period. Or in various versions he loses confidence for a time and other things. I mean, periodic things is no biggie and it's part of a story and hopefully built up to.

2012 Leo as well, for example, when his brothers didn't know he was helping Karai and Shini. It's behavior that is a bit unlike him and surprising to his family and friends who were disappointed in it. That stuff is periodic. For what it is, its fine. Those moments don't really define who he is outside of it.

An actual character description as possibly intended for a duration of a series though? That's definitely different than just periodic stuff.

I can't say I've known too many rebellious type people who held much in the way of Leo-like qualities... They're more likely to think Raph is best.

I can't speak for much outside Nick but I don't see this Leo as rebellious, there were only small moments like in New girl in town when he got fed up and let Raph lead, he said to April 'when do I get to have fun' but he didn't steal the katana with Karai. The turtles snuck out when they were grounded but even then (besides just following the others the first time and disapproving of it) it was to correct a mistake. With broken foot he was caught up with Karai and trying to keep it from getting out of hand (her being killed), he wasn't happy about going behind Splinters back. Trying to go over 5 seasons here :) could have missed things but nothing stands out at the moment, sure he likes fun too and he has disagreed with Splinter on occasion but it's not the same.

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Exactly, little things here and there make him a fleshed out character, but they don't define him for an entire series; they're not his base personality and some of those choices were regretted afterward.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Why exactly?

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/api/image/scale_medium/3975674-tmnt_12_casey_jones.jpg

snake
11-03-2017, 04:48 PM
I can't believe you guys are complaining about changes. Don't you get sick of seeing the same sh*t every incarnation?

neatoman
11-03-2017, 04:49 PM
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/api/image/scale_medium/3975674-tmnt_12_casey_jones.jpg

I still don't get it.

Autbot_Benz
11-03-2017, 05:08 PM
I can't believe you guys are complaining about changes. Don't you get sick of seeing the same sh*t every incarnation?

I agree with this 100%

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 05:14 PM
The "same sh*t" I get tired of are rehashed stories over and over. And why I was hoping for a continuation of some kind (not necessarily directly of 2012), not a reboot.

I don't count their personalities, etc as part of "same sh*t," no.

No more than I'd be interested in fundamentally changing or replacing Santa Clause just because he's been done a really long time.

Although this thread has itself become the "same sh*t" with people who can't stand that others don't feel the way they do. Movie threads all over again, courtesy of Nick-backed projects.

Ashwolf
11-03-2017, 05:42 PM
The "same sh*t" I get tired of are rehashed stories over and over. And why I was hoping for a continuation of some kind (not necessarily directly of 2012), not a reboot.

I don't count their personalities, etc as part of "same sh*t," no.

No more than I'd be interested in fundamentally changing or replacing Santa Clause just because he's been done a really long time.

Although this thread has itself become the "same sh*t" with people who can't stand that others don't feel the way they do. Movie threads all over again, courtesy of Nick-backed projects.

Exactly! Instead of changing their roles/personalities, there's other stuff that could be changed. Like not making another show that caters to little kids. I've said it before and will say it again. If they want to do something new, don't make another show for kiddies. Make a show that is actually for adults, has heavy action amounts, dark content and isn't afraid to show some blood!

Andrew NDB
11-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Make a show that is actually for adults, has heavy action amounts, dark content and isn't afraid to show some blood!

Nickelodeon didn't pay $63 million to Laird to explore the adult TMNT demographic. They paid $63 million to mine and farm the hell out of new generations of little kids, over and over again. Throwing semi-adult or more grown-up flavored TMNT stuff out there runs the risk of mommy and daddy not allowing Little Timmy to watch whatever latest little kids' TMNT cartoon is on the air, or buy any toys.

THGhost
11-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Stop giving them ideas people. seriously, there is a person at nick reading this right now and thinking all these idea changes are brillaint.

You tell them top stop giving Nick ideas, and then you post your own silly idea? ;)

TigerClaw
11-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Since the current series debuted in 2012, the kids who grew up watching it are adults now, so Nick is starting over with the new series aimed at a younger audience this time, but we all know that kids will grow to be adults as the new series progresses, the cycle will continue with Nick creating another series to aim at another generation of kids.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 06:16 PM
I expect them to re-tread the same stories again, more or less every TMNT incarnation goes through the same story arcs with slight variations.

Meaning we'll get the usual Foot Clan arc, the robots, the aliens, the space arc, traveling through time, gangsters/mobsters, Triceratons, and the various mutant outbreak stories.

Plus the usual of Leonardo struggling to lead, Raph's temper, Don inventing things going out of control, Mikey goofing off or wanting to be a superhero, etc.

Seems to be some unwritten rule every TMNT incarnation covers the same story beats. Just with variations of course.

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Nickelodeon didn't pay $63 million to Laird to explore the adult TMNT demographic. They paid $63 million to mine and farm the hell out of new generations of little kids, over and over again. Throwing semi-adult or more grown-up flavored TMNT stuff out there runs the risk of mommy and daddy not allowing Little Timmy to watch whatever latest little kids' TMNT cartoon is on the air, or buy any toys.
Which is a shame they'd probably never have the guts to run two shows for different audiences and market products for each... Toy aisle stuff for one; a bit higher end, to different degrees, for the other. (And lots more profit from those who are collecting from two series. But god no, who'd want to profit from that.)

Or heck, 2012 will no doubt still be around for a long time in reruns. Most little kids don't give a crap if they watch the same episodes over and over, and we've probably got little ones right now who won't even have the full picture of 2012 until they enjoy actually watching it straight through in order someday when they're a bit older. So there's potentially still room left to market products related to this series even, at least to some degree. (Hell, if four-year-old "Frozen" can still be putting new toys on the shelf for the coming holiday season...)

TigerClaw
11-03-2017, 06:25 PM
I expect them to re-tread the same stories again, more or less every TMNT incarnation goes through the same story arcs with slight variations.

Meaning we'll get the usual Foot Clan arc, the robots, the aliens, the space arc, traveling through time, gangsters/mobsters, Triceratons, and the various mutant outbreak stories.

Plus the usual of Leonardo struggling to lead, Raph's temper, Don inventing things going out of control, Mikey goofing off or wanting to be a superhero, etc.

Seems to be some unwritten rule every TMNT incarnation covers the same story beats. Just with variations of course.
Don't be surprise when the 2018 series does a Crossover episode of some sort.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Don't be surprise when the 2018 series does a Crossover episode of some sort.

They will likely crossover with the 2012 Turtles. With Rob Paulsen as voice director, no way is he not going to want to be reunited with Seth Green, Greg Cripes and Sean Astin again for an arc in the new show.

Chris
11-03-2017, 06:30 PM

I'm a few pages late saying this but I would love to see something like this done!

Ninjinister
11-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Which is a shame they'd probably never have the guts to run two shows for different audiences and market products for each... Toy aisle stuff for one; a bit higher end, to different degrees, for the other. (And lots more profit from those who are collecting from two series. But god no, who'd want to profit from that.)

I doubt it's just as simple as make two shows, make money. That sounds like it would take a lot of work.

I'm just counting the blessings that they still want to do something new with the franchise right away.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Yeah that is surprising. I always assumed after the Nick show ended that they would let the property rest for a few years before relaunching. I certainly never expected them to do another cartoon reboot immediately after, just 1 year after the end of the current series.

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 07:09 PM
I'm a few pages late saying this but I would love to see something like this done!
Me too. I love that Leo is more a samurai at heart. And would definitely be interesting to see how it is between him and a Splinter that has to learn to allow his son to choose his own path.

Could also be a great way to bring Usagi in more, or a relatively similar new human friend who is much more local.

I doubt it's just as simple as make two shows, make money. That sounds like it would take a lot of work.

I'm just counting the blessings that they still want to do something new with the franchise right away.
I'm sure (the lots of work part), though granted such a thing would probably be two entirely different teams anyhow.

And, I guess so. But questioning now if a new show immediately after, like I wanted, is really for the best after all. lol

Hopefully someday someone will have the you know whats to think ahead rather than keep rebooting the same old thing (with potentially dumber ideas over time because they're too afraid to be the one to go forward rather than back).

If only I had Trumpian kind of money, I'd pay them to make a 2003-ish (main seasons, not the last two) series of 20 or 30-something Turtles and all new stories...

Tarris Vaal
11-03-2017, 07:44 PM
The new information is very intriguing.

I wasn't very interested at all in the show after seeing the leaked concept art and the report it was more comical than 2012.

But..... I think at this stage I am certainly willing to give it a try. The fact that Rob Paulsen is still involved - even if only as a voice director - is still very encouraging and the tweaks they've made to Leo and Raph could be interesting to see play out.

I guess that I'm hoping that 'more jokes' does not equal 'less drama'

I did also raise an eyebrow at how the video of the VOAs in the studio seemed keen to show Don and Aprils voice actors together a lot. It may be nothing, but after everything that happened in 2012 it does beg the question of whether that is something deliberate rather than just coincidence.

Powder
11-03-2017, 07:47 PM
I did also raise an eyebrow at how the video of the VOAs in the studio seemed keen to show Don and Aprils voice actors together a lot. It may be nothing, but after everything that happened in 2012 it does beg the question of whether that is something deliberate rather than just coincidence.

I took note of that too. It's a possibility. + Rob is the voice director now, & he made it very clear he was on the Apritello bandwagon in the last series. :tlol: He & Mae alike had a blast doing their parts together & would riff about the pairing at appearances. So perhaps he nudges 'em a little? :trazz:

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 07:50 PM
April/Don has been a thing since the 2k3 series:

http://orig04.deviantart.net/3a50/f/2014/077/9/9/donatello_and_april_by_dennef-d7arnns.png

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mejl4lFZys1qaa1jw.jpg

It was only more subtle. Before that they usually just had all the Turtles crush on her in the original live-action films, like Mike blowing kisses to her on the TV or phone.

Tarris Vaal
11-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Resisting the urge to say third times the charm...

Its an interesting mix of accents as well. That was one of the things I liked particularly in the 2012 series over 2k3, was that the brothers accents were similar enough that you could imagine them being related. I dunno if that'll hold as true in the new series or not.

I am very intrigued to hear Bauza's take on Splinter as well.

myconius
11-03-2017, 08:26 PM

i really enjoyed 'The Batman' as well.
the 4th season where Dick Grayson was introduced was brilliant!
love that they cast Kevin Conroy as John Grayson and Mark Hamill as Tony Zucco.
The Justice League episodes in season 5 were a lot of fun!

UG! Beware the Batman! ....that show was awful!!!

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/SpYtMXIvj31du/giphy.gif

I was never a fan of Adam West's Batman (don't hate me), but I'm up for a more silly Batman cartoon I guess. :P

it's actually very different from Adam West. Batman is a LOT cooler in Brave and the Bold.
plus Batman is voiced by Rex Kwon Do!

http://www.lolriot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Kip-Rex-Kwon-Do.gif

you just gave me a GREAT IDEA!!!!
instead of Pizza, the Turtles all love METH!!!! :lol:

COWWWWAAAAABUNNNGAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :o

IndigoErth
11-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Great, is that the kind of changes we're making next? Donnie's lab is now a meth lab and the Turtles are making money for their pizza on the street by selling drugs to people who are too high to know they are in fact really looking at a giant talking Turtle and not hallucinating?

Donnie will make it (and suffer from addiction, probably encouraged by the others to drive his desire to make it), Mikey will sell it (also addicted), Raph will guard the 'merchandise' (with brutal force when need be), and Leo will be the lookout for cops.

Utrommaniac
11-03-2017, 09:01 PM
"Mike, we have to cook!"

DevilSpooky
11-03-2017, 09:03 PM

You're right, lets change everything so it's new and fresh, Splinter is now the bad guy and they're raised by the Shredder who is a mutated frog, April is a superhero and Casey now works as a pizza delivery boy, Bebop and Rocksteady are now a rabbit and a mole and they are smart now, they have a bumbling idiot minion named Krang who is a mutated parrot. Mikey is wise and the leader and Leo is dumb and shallow, Raph hates fighting and is a coward and Don is fat and lazy, oh and they are all girls now and there's a fifth Turtle named Mozart just because, and while they are still Turtles they're now the only survivors of an ancient Alien race that crash landed on Earth thousands of years ago...:trolleye:

Panda_Kahn_fan
11-03-2017, 09:17 PM
I'm perfectly happy with the cast choices, the April change, and the scenario of finding the portal to a magical world underneath their lair, I despise the changes to the turtles themselves, though.

sdp
11-03-2017, 09:51 PM
April/Donatello has been a thing since forever, I remember replaying the NES TMNT II game and seeing Donatello get in the turtle van alone with April.
https://retrogamerevue.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/retroarch-1103-102447.png

Plenty of evidence in the OT as well:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140118085721/tmnt/images/f/fc/April_kiss_Donnie_87.png
https://orig00.deviantart.net/9bbb/f/2016/162/2/2/april_hugs_donnie_1987_by_lullabystars-da5tbqv.jpg

Hell, if we choose them then even Tournament Fighters got in on the fun.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/TMNTtournamentfightersgenesisscreenshot.gif

FredWolfLeonardo
11-03-2017, 09:58 PM
I like the scene in the OT episode "The Cat Woman from Channel Six" when Donnie says he was April's favourite.

But I think that he wasn't the only one hitting on her in that series.

Anyways, I hope we get the designs for the Rise turtles soon.

CyberCubed
11-03-2017, 09:59 PM
In past series all the Turtles crush on her at some point, April also kisses Michaelangelo in his birthday episode in the original cartoon. The original 90's movie trilogy did the same thing, with Mikey blowing kisses to her, Raph liking her, etc.

I think Don/April specifically didn't really get its start till the 2k3 series. In the second Nano episode, Casey even says, "Donnie stole my date!" when he and April were running off to try and stop the Nanobot robot.

myconius
11-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Great, is that the kind of changes we're making next? Donnie's lab is now a meth lab and the Turtles are making money for their pizza on the street by selling drugs to people who are too high to know they are in fact really looking at a giant talking Turtle and not hallucinating?

Donnie will make it (and suffer from addiction, probably encouraged by the others to drive his desire to make it), Mikey will sell it (also addicted), Raph will guard the 'merchandise' (with brutal force when need be), and Leo will be the lookout for cops.

now THIS is an idea i can get behind! :lol:
to tell you the truth . . . that actually might make a pretty funny fan-comic.

Teenage Methhead Ninja Turtles :trazz:

http://i.imgur.com/FmLJ6Ys.gif

You're right, lets change everything so it's new and fresh, Splinter is now the bad guy and they're raised by the Shredder who is a mutated frog, April is a superhero and Casey now works as a pizza delivery boy, Bebop and Rocksteady are now a rabbit and a mole and they are smart now, they have a bumbling idiot minion named Krang who is a mutated parrot. Mikey is wise and the leader and Leo is dumb and shallow, Raph hates fighting and is a coward and Don is fat and lazy, oh and they are all girls now and there's a fifth Turtle named Mozart just because, and while they are still Turtles they're now the only survivors of an ancient Alien race that crash landed on Earth thousands of years ago...:trolleye:

^ the sad thing is. eventually it might actually come to this.

....i actually like these ideas a lot better than Apritello.

In past series all the Turtles crush on her at some point, April also kisses Michaelangelo in his birthday episode in the original cartoon. The original 90's movie trilogy did the same thing, with Mikey blowing kisses to her, Raph liking her, etc.

I think Don/April specifically didn't really get its start till the 2k3 series. In the second Nano episode, Casey even says, "Donnie stole my date!" when he and April were running off to try and stop the Nanobot robot.

i'm pretty sure the 1990 movie was hinting at Raph having a crush on April?

pretty sure i saw more promo shots of Raph paired up with April.

https://static0.srcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1990-Movie-April.jpg

M.O.D.O.K.
11-03-2017, 11:39 PM

A lot of action shows got cancelled during that time. Early cancellation doesn't necessarily mean a show is bad.

Sighphi
11-04-2017, 12:44 AM

yeah man, why would you want to see the same basics you fell in love with again and again?

Change to something completely different that you may not like. That's the way it should be done. :roll:

Sumac
11-04-2017, 03:17 AM
I think the problem is that they are changing characters, but will they make a new stories or will rehash stuff from Mirage again?

newfan
11-04-2017, 03:37 AM
Little things always change and seeing different takes on things can be interesting, but bigger things.... changing something we love too much, especially something like a character, a lot of people won't be happy to hear that.

I am also sore because the show is a change I didn't want in the first place. I hadn't tired of the current show (as it was still new to me) and given the design change to season 5 I think we could have had another. It was cancelled in favour of this which comes out immediately (and the description isn't as appealing to me) so I was already not excited before hearing about the Leo change. (still will take a look and see what they do with it)
That being said, all shows end and would I like to see more TMNT in future after the current show ended? sure I want more TMNT. I am also going to take a look at this because there is a chance I won't hate it, if I don't like it or it's too young for me then I won't bother with it and wait for something else to come.

Cybercubed and Tiger Claw mentioned crossovers, someone asked Nick that and they said they don't know at this point.

As for the children who liked the current show being adults, if they were 5 when they were watching, they would be 10, ages would vary depending how old they were when they started watching and at what point they jumped in.

Oh, like most others, I am glad Rob Paulsen involved.

Papenbrook
11-04-2017, 03:49 AM
I hope these actors bring justice to their characters.

Seriously, they have some big shoes to fill.

newfan
11-04-2017, 03:59 AM
I hope these actors bring justice to their characters.

Seriously, they have some big shoes to fill.

They do, but their voices may suit the new incarnations. I love Sean Astin's voice for Raph but the new guy wasn't bad (from the little we've seen/heard)

Vegita-San
11-04-2017, 05:59 AM
I think the problem is that they are changing characters, but will they make a new stories or will rehash stuff from Mirage again?

Would anyone want a Latina Shredder? No. Keep him Japanese like he was meant to be. as far as i'm concerned, April will always be a hot white red head.

This last series rehashed Mirage stuff like it was the first time it was done. not caring that the movie and the 2K3 series did it better. Only IDW so far is daring to tread a little new ground.

Sumac
11-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Would anyone want a Latina Shredder? No. Keep him Japanese like he was meant to be. as far as i'm concerned, April will always be a hot white red head.
It doesn't matter whether people (as in fans or casual viewers / readers) want it or not.
It's a matter of pandering by taking previously established character and changing them.
It's the laziest route one can make to appeal to the "keyboard-progressives".

biganimefan
11-04-2017, 07:06 AM
I don't think anyone here that was going to tune in before the new show details were released will back out now(or very few). Even a trailer won't give you an accurate feel for the show until the series actually starts. The trailer for the last show for instance, that came out in 2011 I think, was seriously underwhelming. Also, every series takes some time to "find itself" so I personally am planning on withholding judgement until episode 10 or so.

Ok, look, Raphael being "an enthusiastic leader, full of bravado" I don't see as being a huge departure of his character. Yes, he has never been the leader before but I think he CAN be. Especially if an incarnation of his has more of a balance between his hot-headedness and the qualities that make a good leader. As far as him being a leader temporarily in the new show, there's nothing to indicate this will be the case. This Splinter may very well think that Raphael is better or should be given the opportunity to grow as an individual and leader. Also, keep in mind that the original series Raphael is the biggest departure of any incarnation of his character. Or it could be said that every incarnation since are huge departures from his "origins".

Leonardo as the "charming rebel" is also not really a huge departure from his character. The charming bit has been done before. I'd definitely say he was charming in the original series and at points in the Nick show. As far as being a "rebel" is concerned...I guess that's kind of new. But seriously, think about this, Leonardo and Raphael both are A type personalities. I think whichever one of them is the leader the other one will have some challenges with following. Does anyone really think that ANY Leonardo, especially at first, would be as willing to adhere to Raphael's leadership as the others?

April being a different skin color is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. She's still American after all. That is not a departure from her origins any.

plastroncafe
11-04-2017, 08:02 AM
It doesn't matter whether people (as in fans or casual viewers / readers) want it or not.
It's a matter of pandering by taking previously established character and changing them.
It's the laziest route one can make to appeal to the "keyboard-progressives".

You'd be absolutely correct if all things were equal.
But they're not, and haven't been.

Sumac
11-04-2017, 08:23 AM
You'd be absolutely correct if all things were equal.
But they're not, and haven't been.
I understand that there were more white characters created in US media than of other races.
It doesn't mean, that in order to pander, creators should take previously existing character and changing them, though.

It's cheap from creative point of view, because instead of inventing a new interesting character with their own traits, it changes skin color of existing character and writers call it a day. It's like taking a horse, painting stripes on it and calling it "zebra".

It won't be so jarring if we were talking about character with the code name. Say Batman or Spider Man can be many characters. White, black, blue, purple, whatever.
But April O'Neil is not a code name. It's a character of its own, so to speak. If creators so wanted to include black character in the show, they could invent some relative for April or something. Or replace her altogether. It would be simple and not lazy way to introduce diversity without changing established character.

Vegita-San
11-04-2017, 08:58 AM
I understand that there were more white characters created in US media than of other races.
It doesn't mean, that in order to pander, creators should take previously existing character and changing them, though.

It's cheap from creative point of view, because instead of inventing a new interesting character with their own traits, it basically changes skin color of existing character and call it a day. It's like taking a horse, painting stripes on it and calling it "zebra".

It won't be so jarring if we were talking about character with the code name. Say Batman or Spider Man can be many characters. White, black, blue, purple, whatever.
But April O'Neil is not a code name. It's a character of its own, so to speak. If creators so wanted to include black character in the show, they could invent some relative for April or something. Or replace her altogether. It would simple and not lazy way to introduce diversity without changing established character.

And when they do, they don't do it well. Remember Carter and the impact he had? yeah. not many people do. He basically replaced April. and was so wishy washy in what he wanted to do......(was he a ninja? Happy being a mutant? un happy? he went back and forth on EVERYTHING!) that he wasn't likeable at all. and the show felt MUCH better after he left it.

People need to put their heart and sole into creating ANY character in order for it to work. no matter the race. but switching a characters race or gender is the LAZIEST form of doing so. it says you don't believe in an original character, or don't want to take the time or effort to devlop one and hope it takes off.

All it does is say 'look, we're trying'...and throws a bone to the people who complain about equality. that way, THEY automaticaly 'like it' and boom. 'built in fan base'. at least for a little while. then those people grow tired, move on to the next complaining point, and your show is stuck with a possible dud decision. when it could have been something awesome if some effort where put into it.

Sumac
11-04-2017, 09:06 AM
And when they do, they don't do it well. Remember Carter and the impact he had?
I remember him - one of the biggest official Marty Sues ever.

All it does is say 'look, we're trying'...and throws a bone to the people who complain about equality. that way, THEY automaticaly 'like it' and boom. 'built in fan base'. at least for a little while. then those people grow tired, move on to the next complaining point, and your show is stuck with a possible dud decision. when it could have been something awesome if some effort where put into it.
Precisely.
It always feels like such decisions come not from genuine care about the cause, but from marketing department. Like those "women versions of the old franchises". Especially funny, that those movies usually are written by male writers, which instantly make the whole thing dubious and dishonest.

Panda_Kahn_fan
11-04-2017, 09:19 AM
I will add in that while I am totally loving having this new April in the show, I will concede I would've much rather have had IDW Angel Bridge as the main human ally, with April as a minor character this time. Angel's strong, a good fighter, has an awesome personality, and her 'Nobody' persona could create some interesting subplots. April, while she can be written really really well, is always just.... April. Angel is a much cooler 'savvy New Yorker' character by comparison.

syk_skillz
11-04-2017, 10:22 AM

This last series rehashed Mirage stuff like it was the first time it was done. not caring that the movie and the 2K3 series did it better. Only IDW so far is daring to tread a little new ground.

You do realize April wasn't mean to be white in the original comics don't you; and she was white-washed for the original cartoon just like Baxter Stockman? There is also the fact that her ethnicity has no bearing to the story while Shredder's does to the origin of the character.

Vegita-San
11-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Looks pretty white to me.

Although, like I said. Since in the early issues, April's look kept on CONSTANTLY changing more than any other character(sometimes white, sometimes black, sometimes latina (?) ), it's the ONLY reason why i'm willing to give black april a chance. Cause it kind of fits with what was done before.

https://forbushvault.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/picture-71.png

plastroncafe
11-04-2017, 10:50 AM
The text, to my knowledge, has never been explicit about her ethnicity.
It's mostly tradition.
Well tradition and the misconception that everyone with an Irish sounding last name must be white and have red hair.

ProphetofGanja
11-04-2017, 11:12 AM
You do realize April wasn't mean to be white in the original comics don't you; and she was white-washed for the original cartoon just like Baxter Stockman? There is also the fact that her ethnicity has no bearing to the story while Shredder's does to the origin of the character.

Very good point. White-washing has been so rampant in show biz, I'm glad shows are finally starting to move away from that.

I was very glad to see that Ed Skrein removed himself from the Hellboy reboot when he found out that the character he'd been cast as has Japanese ancestry, and it's a pretty integral part of his backstory. Makes me kind of worry about the producers of the film, but we'll see how it turns out I guess.

Looks pretty white to me.

Although, like I said. Since in the early issues, April's look kept on CONSTANTLY changing more than any other character(sometimes white, sometimes black, sometimes latina (?) ), it's the ONLY reason why i'm willing to give black april a chance. Cause it kind of fits with what was done before.

https://forbushvault.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/picture-71.png

You're exemplifying why people hate obsessive fandoms. April being a white, Irish redhead has no real bearing on the plot. She's just someone that the audience can relate to, more so than four teenage mutant ninja turtles.

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Would anyone want a Latina Shredder? No. Keep him Japanese like he was meant to be. as far as i'm concerned, April will always be a hot white red head.d.

Why are you making this bizarre comparison? Shredder has to be Japanese because he and the Foot Clan, and the entire Turtles origin, comes from Japan.

April being another race doesn't really matter. It doesn't change her backstory or her origin.

LeotheLateBloomer
11-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Why are you making this bizarre comparison? Shredder has to be Japanese because he and the Foot Clan, and the entire Turtles origin, comes from Japan.

April being another race doesn't really matter. It doesn't change her backstory or her origin.

Wait a minute, Cubed! Then why were you insisting that Bebop should be black if it doesn't change who he is?

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Wait a minute, Cubed! Then why were you insisting that Bebop should be black if it doesn't change who he is?

Because that's whitewashing.

For example people don't mind whites being changed to blacks (see Nick Fury in the Marvel movies/universe), but blacks being changed to whites opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

People don't want to see the few black characters there are changed to whites or done away with, but it's ok to turn white characters into minorities.

ProphetofGanja
11-04-2017, 01:18 PM

For example people don't mind whites being changed to blacks (see Nick Fury in the Marvel movies/universe), but blacks being changed to whites opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

People don't want to see the few black characters there are changed to whites or done away with, but it's ok to turn white characters into minorities.

You summed that up pretty well, Cubed, good job

LeotheLateBloomer
11-04-2017, 01:37 PM

FW Baxter Stockman?

ProphetofGanja
11-04-2017, 01:47 PM
FW Baxter Stockman?

Yeah, exactly.

Coola Yagami
11-04-2017, 02:31 PM
And when they do, they don't do it well. Remember Carter and the impact he had? yeah. not many people do. He basically replaced April. and was so wishy washy in what he wanted to do......(was he a ninja? Happy being a mutant? un happy? he went back and forth on EVERYTHING!) that he wasn't likeable at all. and the show felt MUCH better after he left it.

People need to put their heart and sole into creating ANY character in order for it to work. no matter the race. but switching a characters race or gender is the LAZIEST form of doing so. it says you don't believe in an original character, or don't want to take the time or effort to devlop one and hope it takes off.

Carter is a different case. He didn't replace April. He was introduced near the show's end when turtlemania was dying down. It didn't matter what race he was, after 8 seasons of April and 4 turtles it was way too late to add some random 5th menber of the team that wasnt just a guest character.

A better example would be Venus. She was the main female lead with April never being on the show.

Vegita-San
11-04-2017, 02:43 PM
i personally feel he replaced april in a big way.

April was their one human contact. i mean, you saw burne and vernon and irma on occasion, but april was the one remaining constant and true confidant.

that role I think seriously switched to Carter when he came aboard and april went into the background a bit more. part of that was also due to 'new character syndrome'. especially considering carter was supposedly thought up by a CBS executive.....but the main effect of replacing april i think was still there.

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 02:46 PM
April was still in almost every episode of Seasons 9-10. He didn't replace her.

IndigoErth
11-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Shredder has to be Japanese because he and the Foot Clan, and the entire Turtles origin, comes from Japan.
Nah, we're throwing everything out the window now and just bastardizing the heck out of the thing because that's how it's done these days for sake of making it new.

Shredder will now be a redneck from Arkansas who followed a bunch of mutated swamp Turtles to NYC to seek revenge because they kept stealing his crawdad bait (and some of the catch) back when they's wuz regular Turtles.

They's gots mutated from a mix of somethin' that leaked out of his junk pile... Some kinda gun oil that prob got mixed with some spilled Budweiser and other stuff.

No more martial arts now, just gun use from a over-aggrandized self proclaimed patriot and Turtle hater. (He'll have a mask, but it's different, basic, and fashioned out of an old pie pan.) Splinter is no longer there because, as reported in show description, "who cares, don't whine about it, it's new now." To ensure that no one mistakes the Turtles as part human, they will still be a normal turtle size, with vague resemblance to the 80s Turtles, but now wearing tiny 80s clothing.

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Since the description of the show says the Turtles will be battling new mutants, my guess is this show might be just as mutant heavy as the Nick show was. They might start off introducing new mutants (like how Nick did with Snakeweed, Spiderbitez, Fishface, Dogpound, etc.), and then use old ones again like how Nick did as it progressed.

For the most part mutants are an easy sell for kids, as well as toys, so I can see why using mutants is easier than a bunch of human enemies. They'll probably create a bunch of new mutant designs at first, then they could either re-use some Nick-era mutants or the classic ones.

PApagreg
11-04-2017, 04:29 PM
No more martial arts now, just gun use from a over-aggrandized self proclaimed patriot and Turtle hater. (He'll have a mask, but it's different, basic, and fashioned out of an old pie pan.) Splinter is no longer there because, as reported in show description, "who cares, don't whine about it, it's new now." To ensure that no one mistakes the Turtles as part human, they will still be a normal turtle size, with vague resemblance to the 80s Turtles, but now wearing tiny 80s clothing.

Now I kinda want to see a TMNT incarnation where guns and modern military tactics are used instead of martial arts and ninjutsu. Maybe make Leo the generic assualt rifle guy, Raph a heavy weapons user, Donatello the demolition man/ combat engineer and Mikey the the sniper. Or hell maybe make it a weird wild west theme series where we see some badass gunslinging ala East of West

Sumac
11-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Very good point. White-washing has been so rampant in show biz, I'm glad shows are finally starting to move away from that.
April's not a case of white-washing.

ProphetofGanja
11-04-2017, 04:53 PM
April's not a case of white-washing.

I never said it was, although one could make the case that it is based on Eastman's original character design, but I'm not well-versed enough in the knowledge of the early days of TMNT to say.

In any case I'm all the more intrigued about this show with this new information we've got.

sdp
11-04-2017, 06:07 PM
I did my homework and it seems April was always meant to be white since she apparently appeared in color as white before she got her perm job which is cited as the reason of why she's black. If she's anything like his ex-girlfriend then April should be latina and not black.

It's definitely unnecessary and being done to be more "diverse" but it's always the wrong decision to change an established characters race for the sake of it instead of using a new character or making another character relevant, in this case Carter instead of April.

Now if this April proves to be better than say Nick April which I hated then I won't mind that she's black as long as she's a good character. The problem is when SJW will call you racist when they don't even know any better. The only reason this isn't a big controversy is because they decided to make the dumb decision of making Raphael, the turtle who usually gets the most attention the leader of the group. The race thing may or may not prove to be a horrible decision but Raph as leader we already know it's a horrible decision so of course it's the main thing being discussed.

In reality all the pages this thread accumulated over the news may end up looking ridiculous once the show airs and we have more info to work with, but until then, let's do what fandom forums are meant to do and have some rampant speculation.

Vegita-San
11-04-2017, 06:16 PM
I did my homework and it seems April was always meant to be white since she apparently appeared in color as white before she got her perm job which is cited as the reason of why she's black. If she's anything like his ex-girlfriend then April should be latina and not black.

Yep. but, why let facts get in the way?

but, as I Said before, aprils design was the most open to interpretation in the earlier issues. and even colored black in one...but it does seem she was originally meant to be white straight out.

i'd go further on this issue, but we are already sketching off into off limit areas. So I'll just leave it as, changing the race of any character will fundamentally change who they are. just like it would in real life. doesn't matter what race they start out as. So saying one matters more than the other is SJW territory.

if someone was white, keep them white. if they where japanese, keep them japanese. don't make the ancient one from Japanese to white just to appease an unfriendly country. Keep them as they where.

If you let people do that, sooner or later we'll get alien turtles from the planet Binky, who are colored Blue. Just because.

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Personality wise I expect April to be similar to Nick's April, especially if she's younger again. I'd like a street smart April who is also sarcastic and can think for herself. I hope they leave out the psychic powers or any special abilities though, I don't even want this April to be a fighter.

Otherwise Nick's April was a good starting point, we'll see where this one goes.

PApagreg
11-04-2017, 06:29 PM

April looked like this at one point so its hard to point out what she is ment to look like.
http://nymonsters.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/tmnt-11-1987.jpg

sdp
11-04-2017, 06:43 PM
What if the turtles all wear red bandannas? They seem to have warmed up to that more over the years, would Playmates let them? Would Andrew watch it?

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 06:45 PM
https://pre00.deviantart.net/5811/th/pre/i/2014/301/c/5/tmnt_au__april_o_neil_2_by_darthempress-d84h9e0.png

Man, type in "black April O'Neil" in deviantart and you find lots of stuff from decades ago.

syk_skillz
11-04-2017, 06:47 PM

Wasn't she mixed with Black & Latino? At least I thought that what I read a long time ago.

IndigoErth
11-04-2017, 06:49 PM
But guys, wouldn't she be affected by this whole multiverse thing though too, and therefor she's all of the above? :P

Depending which universe you're in.

This April is probably the one part I'm a little curious about in a positive way. I'd miss traditional April a little, I guess, but not overly attached to the character so I'm open to changing her up a bit like this or however. Though I'm still expecting April to be very Aprilish still. A change of flesh is nothing compared to what they're doing to the Turtles.

Although god only knows what the art style will even be. All this cute fan art, but Nick's take for the whole show might be ridiculous looking and not even close to the fan art. (Anyone for an attempt at April in the style of that Donnie? lol)

But at this point, you know what... just let it look like that Donnie art. If the whole thing just looks ridiculous, then at least some of their absurd ideas can't even be taken seriously. Shame as that is.

Leolead
11-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Honestly, I don't care about April's race as she looked racially ambiguous in early Mirage comics & Kat Graham's playing the part. <3

Raph being the leader is a much bigger problem.

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm sure Raph will only be the leader for an arc, possibly till the end of Season 1, till he steps down and Leonardo grows into the leader. We're going to see a Leo who *earns* his place as a leader for the first time.

It's rather great character development.

Bry
11-04-2017, 10:12 PM
April being a white, Irish redhead has no real bearing on the plot. She's just someone that the audience can relate to, more so than four teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Exactly. She was initially drawn as pretty indistinct in general, the black-and-white art adding to the fact that the colour of her skin or hair didn't matter one bit. When she was coloured on covers and reprints, her hair was generally brown, or sometimes auburn, until the cartoons increasingly played into the Irish surname and firmly established her a white redhead. (And heck, the 2003 version's hair was a pretty unnatural-looking shade, nearly magenta, at that.)

But it's never, ever been integral to the character to be depicted as a white redhead.

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 10:25 PM
The funniest part of it all is April was usually depicted as a brunette in most universes, like the original cartoon, Archie and the original movie trilogy especially movies 2 and 3.

It was the 2k3 series that made redhead April canon, and the new standard going forward. After that the 4th movie from 2007, Nick and IDW all kept redhead April.

Cure
11-04-2017, 10:33 PM
I don't mind any of these changes, but I think people who keep parroting "Raphael will probably be leader temporarily! Leonardo will eventually be leader!" are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

"Dogpound double mutated! This opens up a world of possibilities!"

"Dark Leo is gonna be awesome and last for MULTIPLE EPISODES!"

"The spirit arc is gonna be great! One episode for each turtle!"

sdp
11-04-2017, 10:34 PM
That's not true at all.

The OT based April's look off of Mirage #2 and that became the template for most spin-offs during that time. If you take a look at Mirage #2, it's definitely reddish though I guess you can argue it's brunette. The OTs color is a color that's also a bit open to interpretation from dirty blonde like in the first movie to more brunette to reddish which is why it works with the spin-offs having those variations. I mean Archie April started based on the OT and by the end of the run her hair was red.

https://i.imgur.com/HJK37fH.jpg

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/1/15317/344968-21077-126416-1-april-o-neil.jpg

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 11:00 PM
It did seem brown in the original cartoon, and Archie changed it to red as it progressed but it was similar to the original shows hair color at first even when she had long hair.

Funny thing is Mirage changed April's hairstyle pretty quickly from issue 2 to that curly black look she has for most of it.

sdp
11-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Which they explain in a panel "look at my new hairdo" or something along those lines.

Bring back Carter and redeem his character, it has potential. Don't leave him to be a villain in the Bradford show :(

CyberCubed
11-04-2017, 11:08 PM
https://orig00.deviantart.net/617b/f/2013/001/0/4/many_faces_of_april_o_neil_by_esuneh-d5q1w6d.png

Fanart like this will look very different once the new April's design is revealed. :)

sdp
11-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Deviantart...

https://madman731.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/tumblr_mtyzcmcnx71qgwt1uo1_400.gif

Xav
11-04-2017, 11:34 PM

For example people don't mind whites being changed to blacks (see Nick Fury in the Marvel movies/universe), but blacks being changed to whites opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.What the heck are you talking about? Those always some outcry every time a character gets blackwashed.

sdp
11-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Nick Fury worked since Ultimate Fury was specifically based on Samuel L. Jackson and people didn't mind it for Ultimate since it was already doing all kinds of crazy things and was not "canon".

Now black Fury is the son of original Nick Fury in the main continuity so both exist and no one cares. Kid Flash/Wally West changed the redheaded hero we loved for some black guy with a different story that was in no shape or form better, people were mad, and now they brought back the original Wally but found a way to keep both of them in and now black Wally can shine on his own.

Most people praising all these race changes are usually white, which is even more insulting for preaching what is good for "us". I can assure you changing an established b-list character isn't doing it for them either, why not instead make a NEW character who is actually worth a damn, now that would be something I can get behind. If you're going to race swap then don't insult people and actually change the main heroes, make Steve Rogers black and Clark Kent Latino.

And other things where people should actually be outraged like changing established characters to white like with Dr. Strange, it wasn't given the same attention as it should have or they do for other cases. Everyone has their agenda, don't be fooled into thinking they're here for the good of "people of color".

Ninjinister
11-04-2017, 11:51 PM
I don't mind any of these changes, but I think people who keep parroting "Raphael will probably be leader temporarily! Leonardo will eventually be leader!" are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

"Dogpound double mutated! This opens up a world of possibilities!"

"Dark Leo is gonna be awesome and last for MULTIPLE EPISODES!"

"The spirit arc is gonna be great! One episode for each turtle!"

Yeah there did seem to be a lot of that. And then somehow it was the writers' fault for not meeting those expectations that they never set in the first place.

I also feel like the main problem right now with what little information we have now is "mountain out of a molehill" material. These changes are infinitesimally smaller than some of the ones we've seen in the last 33 years and yet they'll apparently be the death of the franchise? That reeks of not paying attention to history. And the comparisons of the "why stop there!? why not XYZ" seem to be hyperbole at it ugliest.

I mean this might suck hard and tank. It may be super popular but still be unappealing to me personally. But to act like you're betrayed because of anything done on the show, no matter how big or small, is ultimately childish. Not a single one of us on this board who doesn't have a green name is special at all and none of our opinions matter more than any other's - but at least apply logic to your statements instead of adopting GIFT like your life depended on it.

Papenbrook
11-04-2017, 11:57 PM
I agree.

Folks are acting like we're getting a Platinum Dunes-like TMNT all over again. :roll:

sdp
11-05-2017, 12:01 AM
I found the Platinum Dunes movies flawed but worthwhile of the TMNT name.

I somehow missed all the 'drome drama about them but I would've been on the "dark side" of the battle. :lol:

I think I made one post praising the movie and got invited to this drome group where all they did was talk bad about the dromers I liked :lol:

Leolead
11-05-2017, 12:08 AM
I was one of the biggest fans of the 2014 movie back in the day when I joined. Made a lot of good friends. Most of them left after the movie came out, unfortunately. I soured on the movie after I saw it a second time, I was just happy to get another live action TMNT movie, initially.

CyberCubed
11-05-2017, 12:08 AM
I was mentally traumatized by the noses and nostrils on the Turtles in the movies. They looked like Shrek ogres or 4 Hulks. I had never seen anything so offensive before in my entire life.

Between that and the possibility of Eric Sachs being a white man Shredder, I almost had a complete mental breakdown.

Thankfully, life goes on! Isn't that great? ;)

Coola Yagami
11-05-2017, 01:29 AM
The main feeling I'm getting is, this show is not going to be for us. It's for the kids. Yeah, you might say 'we know that' but obviously no... no you don't since we have pages of discussion going batshit about wether or not Raph is going to be the leader for good or just for an arc.

Who cares? This show is said to be even lighter in tone and more childish than the 2012 one... and this is coming out next year, when we're all a year older, after already watching a kid's show for 6 years. And now we're going to bitch about any even more childish show?

It's time to grow up, step back and let the new generation enjoy it. We no longer have a say in it. We no longer have the right to complain. It's not our show. I wouldn't care if they mutated April into Venus and left it permanently. It's not our show anymore.

CyberCubed
11-05-2017, 01:46 AM
We don't know the tone of the show till we get a trailer and then the first few eps air. The Nick show got plenty dark at times, if this show can balance fun/lighthearted adventures with action/darkness it will be fine.

Sumac
11-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Yeah there did seem to be a lot of that. And then somehow it was the writers' fault for not meeting those expectations that they never set in the first place.
Welcome to the world of fandoms!!
People always built sand castles and then get outraged when they expectations (which nobody promised to realize) don't not come to pass.

Just look at some of the movie or video games review, where people angry because the thing is not like they get used to or like they have imagined, even if all marketing material told that this is something different from the usual stuff. :roll:

Who cares? This show is said to be even lighter in tone and more childish than the 2012 one... and this is coming out next year, when we're all a year older, after already watching a kid's show for 6 years. And now we're going to bitch about any even more childish show?
I don't largely care, since I was not fan of neither Nick series nor PD movies, and I suspect, that as you have said, new show won't be for old fans, but it's just fan to chat with people about it and see what they have to say.

You know, just normal communication with people, without going into "fanboy" mode. That's what forums for.

Chris
11-05-2017, 01:47 AM
I like that they're changing it up a bit. We've just had 5 seasons of relatively traditional (slightly horror inspired) TMNT. It would be too soon to go straight back to that well. So let them shake things up a bit. If it works, great, if not, oh well at least they tried. They might do something that works really well and gets embraced enough to stick around when we get the next traditional style series.

I love the idea of black April, it's a nice nod to her ethnically ambiguous roots. I'm intrigued by the characterisation changes and loving the idea of Mikey's artistic side (finally!). Sure I'm a little apprehensive of Leo not being the leader, but I'm also excited by how this opens them up to explore who he is beyond just "Leonardo leads". Yes, that option is always there (Nick Leo found a good balance between a growing leader and a lovable geek) but it's so easy for him to get stereotyped that by taking the leadership role away they have to explore the rest of his personality.

At the end of the day, I already have 2 animated series that I love (2K3 & 2K12), the brilliant original movie and it's still fun to watch sequels, the Mirage comics and the still ongoing IDW comic. If I enjoy this series that's fantastic, but if not then I still have my TMNT, this series is for the next generation. These characters will continue to get reinvented. Sometimes it works (2K3, IDW), sometimes it doesn't (TNM, PD), but there will always be a new version coming. If I don't like it, I can enjoy what I have and wait to see what's next.

As long as it's not TMNT Team Up! That needs to be burnt in the fires of hell and never seen again :tlol:

newfan
11-05-2017, 04:12 AM
Fans are going to have feelings on something they like/love even if they know it isn't meant for them.

I was mentally traumatized by the noses and nostrils on the Turtles in the movies. They looked like Shrek ogres or 4 Hulks. I had never seen anything so offensive before in my entire life.

Cubed I will now likely think of you being traumatised by those nostrils whenever I see those movies.

Vegita-San
11-05-2017, 05:19 AM

It's time to grow up, step back and let the new generation enjoy it. We no longer have a say in it. We no longer have the right to complain. It's not our show. I wouldn't care if they mutated April into Venus and left it permanently. It's not our show anymore.

We ALWAYS have a right to complain. We may be getting older, but it's still OUR franchise. just because it's no longer targeted toward us doesn't mean we still don't get an opinion on what we like and don't like. Even if we choose not to watch it.

As it was once so 'eloquently' put to me... slightly modified.. 'This IS a Beeping Message board'. It's what we do :)

Most people praising all these race changes are usually white, which is even more insulting for preaching what is good for "us". I can assure you changing an established b-list character isn't doing it for them either, why not instead make a NEW character who is actually worth a damn, now that would be something I can get behind. If you're going to race swap then don't insult people and actually change the main heroes, make Steve Rogers black and Clark Kent Latino.

And other things where people should actually be outraged like changing established characters to white like with Dr. Strange, it wasn't given the same attention as it should have or they do for other cases. Everyone has their agenda, don't be fooled into thinking they're here for the good of "people of color".

What I don't like is 'just cause they're white, it means nothing'. that does come off a bit preachy and insulting and SJW'ery.

As for Japanese to white, at least people made a huge uproar when they tried to do that to Shredder. and so much so, that it actually got changed back to the way it was. So, I guess there hope, but slim hope .

Cyndaquilfan123
11-05-2017, 07:45 AM

Between that and the possibility of Eric Sachs being a white man Shredder, I almost had a complete mental breakdown.

Thankfully, life goes on! Isn't that great? ;)

Mentally Traumatized? Cubed, if you think that’s the worst thing you’ll see in life, then I honestly don’t know what to say.

Coola Yagami
11-05-2017, 07:51 AM
We don't know the tone of the show till we get a trailer and then the first few eps air.

Then shut up.

CyberCubed
11-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Then shut up.

Why are you telling this to me? I'm interested in the new show and excited. You should be responding to Vegita-san since he's the one complaining non-stop of his TMNT franchise being ruined. :lol:

IndigoErth
11-05-2017, 02:29 PM
We may be getting older, but it's still OUR franchise. just because it's no longer targeted toward us doesn't mean we still don't get an opinion on what we like and don't like.
Gotta agree there. I'm very glad they're still around and we get to share them with other generations and that more young kids love it too... (warms my heart every time I see kids TMNT clothing being bought at my store and I damn well make sure that stuff is placed where it's easily seen - and I love being one of the first to see new TMNT stuff that's come in!)... they're welcome to be a part, but they ain't owning the keys to it, dammit. :trazz: Not until this generation is dead and gone. This one was 'born' into my group, and I wouldn't disparage any now-adult TMNT 'kid' from an opinion any more than I would an old man's views, just because he's old, on a modern Superman (or other early hero) change after being a lifelong fan since it was new. (And likewise for those kids today with whatever new stuff comes out today for them and makes it big and is still enjoyed by them 30 years from now.) It saddens me that even fans will cling to the sigma that it's "just for kids" and discourage any encouragement for that to not be the case at some point.

This one may sound to be even more for the kiddies, but it doesn't mean people have to be just fine with a twisted representation of the characters those kids are being given... It's characters I care about, and one esp that they're screwing with. Time will tell, but the details so far annoy me that this may be my nephew's intro to TMNT. Damn I was hoping it would be an expanded-on Half Shell! *sigh* I may need to get the collection of '87 that we can eventually binge watch someday until he's old enough for 2012 and 2003. (Dear lord, do not let this kid decide Raph is his fave then fight me for the rest of my days over him being the oldest and leader.)

But yeah, "for the kids" or not, I still want new things to be good and worthy of TMNT. Good old stuff is great, but re-watching/reading old memories over and over isn't the same as seeing a TMNT that are continuing to thrive...

CyberCubed
11-05-2017, 02:38 PM
I actually find Leonardo far more interesting when he's struggling to lead or doubting himself or going through angst, rather than just being the "stock leader" type of personality.

All my favorite Leonardo episodes in all 3 cartoons were the ones where he was acting out of the ordinary, either struggling with his ability to lead, getting angry, or having doubts about himself.

IndigoErth
11-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Yes, I agree, it makes him more of a whole character that he has his own struggles and taken into consideration that he carries a lot of weight and expectations on his shoulders from both Rat dad and himself, and a person can only handle so much sometimes before they break. edit:**

And the doubts and lack of confidence on occasion... totally relatable, and a good message there that it makes him no less awesome that he has these troubles at times and can make it through it, like many in real life. Having doubts this one will even go into any of that, not with the character description we've gotten so far. Feels more cocky 2007-ish imo :roll: (which I'm not a fan of), but we'll see...

** And even negative stuff are among things I relate to with him. Esp the fact that he's more the sort who most of the time is just going to take it, just deal with it, and keep on dealing with it, bottling it up and internalize it, because he isn't going to want to burden others with it and prefers to show this as a strength and be others' rock. Which I relate to and do the same and appreciate and admire that inner strength, but at the same time recognize that it's also a negative trait if it goes so long that the pressure breaks and you get a period like angry 2003 Leo. (Been there, done that, sans harming anyone, but I hadn't been flinging around any swords either. lol) I'd so love to have a similar series back...

LeotheLateBloomer
11-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Gotta agree there. I'm very glad they're still around and we get to share them with other generations and that more young kids love it too... (warms my heart every time I see kids TMNT clothing being bought at my store and I damn well make sure that stuff is placed where it's easily seen)... they're welcome to be a part, but they ain't owning the keys to it, dammit. :trazz: Not until this generation is dead and gone. This one was 'born' into my group, and I wouldn't disparage any now-adult TMNT 'kid' from an opinion any more than I would an old man's views, just because he's old, on a modern Superman (or other early hero) change after being a lifelong fan since it was new. (And likewise for those kids today with whatever new stuff comes out today for them and makes it big and is still enjoyed by them 30 years from now.) It saddens me that even fans will cling to the sigma that it's "just for kids" and discourage any encouragement for that to not be the case at some point.

This one may sound to be even more for the kiddies, but it doesn't mean people have to be just fine with a twisted representation of the characters those kids are being given... It's characters I care about, and one esp that they're screwing with. Time will tell, but the details so far annoy me that this may be my nephew's intro to TMNT. Damn I was hoping it would be an expanded-on Half Shell! *sigh* I may need to get the collection of '87 that we can eventually binge watch someday until he's old enough for 2012 and 2003. (Dear lord, do not let this kid decide Raph is his fave then fight me for the rest of my days over him being the oldest and leader.)

But yeah, "for the kids" or not, I still want new things to be good and worthy of TMNT. Good old stuff is great, but re-watching/reading old memories over and over isn't the same as seeing a TMNT that are continuing to thrive...

^This! It's a terrible copout excuse and just shows that the "fans" spouting this, truly don't care about this property that they loved as a kid.

Yes, I agree, it makes him more of a whole character that he has his own struggles and taken into consideration that he carries a lot of weight and expectations on his shoulders from both Rat dad and himself, and a person can only handle so much sometimes before they break.

And the doubts and lack of confidence on occasion... totally relatable, and a good message there that it makes him no less awesome that he has these troubles at times and can make it through it, like many in real life. Having doubts this one will even go into any of that, not with the character description we've gotten so far. Feels more cocky 2007-ish imo :roll: (which I'm not a fan of), but we'll see...

I hope I can enjoy this version of Leo. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bry
11-05-2017, 03:15 PM

To be fair, they do create great new characters, but the problem is that it's very hard for a new character to get a fair shot in a crowded universe/marketplace that automatically favours older, known and already-popular characters and properties. It's great when they do catch on, and I'd like to see more of that. But the deck's stacked against them from the start.

And let's be honest, the main reason the vast majority of the biggest established superheroes are white is because most of them were created before the Civil Rights movement. It was just the automatic default, and merely having a non-white main character would be instantly controversial and was almost unheard of in the old days.

You gave Steve Rogers as an example. But context matters. Some characters' races actually are integral to how they're represented. Steve Rogers was a publicly-celebrated WWII-era hero during a very racist time, so anything else would strain believability. Also, the symbolism of a man who looks like the Aryan "ideal" punching Nazis in the face is automatically striking and important. There are a number of characters that do "need" to be white to work on their original conceptual level, but that doesn't apply to every white character. Does Peter Parker need to be white? Does Daredevil? Does The Flash, or Wonder Woman, or Aquaman? There's not as strong an argument.

Even then, generally what they do is put another character in the superhero identity for a while, rather than changing the original character themselves: Miles Morales as Spider-Man, Sam Wilson as Captain America, Jane Foster as Thor... Yet it seems that the same crowd consistently loses their minds over that, too.

IndigoErth
11-05-2017, 03:27 PM
why not instead make a NEW character who is actually worth a damn

I vote daughter of an older April, be she biological or adopted. (Then we get to see Turtle uncles. Adorable.)

Sumac
11-05-2017, 04:40 PM
I actually find Leonardo far more interesting when he's struggling to lead or doubting himself or going through angst, rather than just being the "stock leader" type of personality.

All my favorite Leonardo episodes in all 3 cartoons were the ones where he was acting out of the ordinary, either struggling with his ability to lead, getting angry, or having doubts about himself.
I found Leonardo to be the most bland Turtle in most incarnations, so when writers give him some kind of inner conflict, it's always made him more interesting.

It's kind of interesting, how, in my opinion, Leo always getting lost in shadows of other turtles. He is sort of like old Cyclops - he is a straight-laced leader and literally everyone end up being more interesting than him.

Like, Raph is a hothead, Mike is a joker (or a borderline mentally challenged idiot), Don is a genius (and the last series gave him romance with April, for all good it was). Leo ends up kind of..."personality-less", when compared to others and that's why in his solo episodes he usually shines, since they highlight the fact that there is something more, for him, than just his straight leader persona.

CyberCubed
11-05-2017, 04:42 PM
That's why Nick's Leo stood out so much, they made him more nerdy and down to earth and more prone to mistakes.

Vegita-San
11-05-2017, 06:15 PM
I vote daughter of an older April, be she biological or adopted. (Then we get to see Turtle uncles. Adorable.)

That I idea I like.

Of course, it means then that the father couldn't be casey, unless he was race changed, which I wouldn't like.

Utrommaniac
11-05-2017, 06:25 PM
What, the kid can't be biracial?

Vegita-San
11-05-2017, 06:47 PM
What, the kid can't be biracial?

If April was white, and the kid was bi racial, the father would have to be black, yes? that would mean either a race change for casey, or someone other than casey being the father.

IndigoErth
11-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Or as I said, could be adopted. Maybe they took in a girl off the streets who had no one.

Unless you alternately want a surprise twist - April and Casey break up... after April's affair. That may or may not have resulted in a kid. :tlol:

Vegita-San
11-05-2017, 09:21 PM
technically the reverse of what happened in mirage. although casey didn't technically have an affair, I think :).

CyberCubed
11-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Not that he'd say otherwise, but someone asked Rob Paulsen about the new series and he said, "It's shaping up nicely."

https://twitter.com/yakkopinky/status/927343494300966912

I'd keep my eye on Rob Paulsens twitter leading up to the new show, he's bound to drop tidbits. He's the voice director so that means he likely cast every new character in the series, so he probably knows all about the scripts and characters due to making the auditions and being in the recording studio.

Coola Yagami
11-06-2017, 08:40 AM
I remember when you were dead set on this being like Teen Titans Go.

I'm kinda hoping it is, because after all the ranting and raving, you'll still watch every single episode and find something good about it.

Vegita-San
11-06-2017, 09:08 AM
I remember when you were dead set on this being like Teen Titans Go.

I'm kinda hoping it is, because after all the ranting and raving, you'll still watch every single episode and find something good about it.

I think this is the five life cycles of cubed.

- Rant and Rave before show premiers
- Nitpick things wrong
- chase away show staff with nitpicking wrongs
- magically become shows biggest fan and trash anyone with differing opinions
-goes through two month mourning period after show ends, relives 'greatest thing ever' then forgets quickly after

right now we're at stage one...I think.

Coola Yagami
11-06-2017, 09:32 AM
I think this is the five life cycles of cubed.

- Rant and Rave before show premiers
- Nitpick things wrong
- chase away show staff with nitpicking wrongs
- magically become shows biggest fan and trash anyone with differing opinions
-goes through two month mourning period after show ends, relives 'greatest thing ever' then forgets quickly after

right now we're at stage one...I think.

Yep. Then there's the 'Will binge watch entire series at least once a year' phase.

CyberCubed
11-06-2017, 11:29 AM
As long as it's still a traditional action series and not a full blown comedy/parody show like Teen Titans Go (and from the sounds of things it won't be) it should be fine.

That being said, obviously we still can't say anything for sure till we get a trailer or see some designs.

Coola Yagami
11-06-2017, 03:48 PM
As long as it's still a traditional action series and not a full blown comedy/parody show like Teen Titans Go (and from the sounds of things it won't be) it should be fine.

Don't lie to yourself. Sure, you'll spend months complaining about it and saying NICK ruined the turtles, omg tmnt go, blah blah blah.

And then you're gonna start liking it and defending it, and suddenly whenever someone criticizes the show you'll but in with 'lol what? This show is comedic gold and there must be something wrong with you if you don't agree.''

And rhen you'll be demanding the show has 100 episodes.

CyberCubed
11-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Only if it's good. We shall see.

FredWolfLeonardo
11-06-2017, 07:06 PM
I'm looking forward to how the tone of the series will be handled, and whether it will be episodic or serialized.

I was a little nervous when I heard that this show will be more lighthearted than the previous Nick one, but am now open to seeing how it will be handled.

It was sort of similar with Pokemon, where I was initially a little iffy about the more Lighthearted tone of the Sun/Moon anime and its drastic changes from XY, but I now have come to love the new style and direction.

CyberCubed
11-06-2017, 07:12 PM
I still expect action and continuity, but I am curious about the humor.

The Nick show had a very distinct humor style similar to Teen Titans or that kind of cynical humor, I'm curious how the new show will set apart from it.

Ninjinister
11-06-2017, 08:48 PM
but it's still OUR franchise.

It's Viacom's franchise.

CyberCubed
11-06-2017, 08:49 PM
Vegita-san is probably the only person here who continually thinks the franchise must be catered to him. Considering he's an almost 40 year old adult, he should realize he's about 30 years off the target audience.

Cure
11-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Yeah. It takes a special kind of retardedness to claim ownership over a franchise.

It ALSO takes a special kind of cynicism to try to bring a man down for just being excited and optimistic about something, like CyberCubed. He might be a little overbearing, sure, but that's to what it boils down.

Coola Yagami
11-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Yeah. It takes a special kind of retardedness to claim ownership over a franchise.

It ALSO takes a special kind of cynicism to try to bring a man down for just being excited and optimistic about something, like CyberCubed. He might be a little overbearing, sure, but that's to what it boils down.

Not if it's his bizzare brand of optimism. The kind where he'll freak out and complain about everything at first, and then become a diehard fan and question the sanity of all who dare think differently.

It's the same old song. I can't be the only one sick of it by now.

*INb4 Cubed chases away the creators of this show should they be foolish enough to post here.*

Coola Yagami
11-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Only if it's good. We shall see.

Naw man. You will. You know you will. It's just the same ol song and dance with you.

IndigoErth
11-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Oh no... the member critics are turning on each other now too.

https://i.imgur.com/4FcJIAi.gif

Sumac
11-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Franchises belong only to franchise owners.

Vegita-San
11-07-2017, 06:25 AM
oh for Frig's sake.

OUR Franchise as in, we helped make it what it is by supporting it with our dollars and time.

as in it's still something we enjoy and enjoy following.

therefore, we should get an opinion on it still, even if it's not targeted toward US anymore. and are well out of the age group it's being targeted toward.