The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 02:09 AM   #101
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If it's just "Here's Boba Fett between episodes III and IV!!!" then who cares.
Nerds do. A few, at least.

I mean, I never really personally cared about what Han Solo did before "A New Hope", but we got a whole big thing about that anyway.

We're in this odd position nowadays where the companies that control our favorite IPs are like, "No, see, HERE's what you really want!" And everybody goes, "Uh... yeah, YEAH! I mean... I guess so, yeah, that's fine." And it's actually nothing that anyone asked for, but they go along with it anyway. It's weird.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #102
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
My bad. I completely misread that.

And I was on board with a Boba Fett movie with the caveat that it show him emerging from the pit on screen... beyond that, all good. And as long as what's his name from Episode 2 plays him.

You know. A movie with a framing device. Boba climbing/blasting his way out of the pit, as he flashes back on his life. Then 2/3s of the way into it, he frees himself. And the last 1/3 is him completing his arc set up in the first 2/3s in the post-RotJ present. It virtually writes itself.

If it's just "Here's Boba Fett between episodes III and IV!!!" then who cares.
Like I said, I'm not totally informed on all things Star Wars, but I have heard the legend of Boba Fett escaping from the pit. It's something children would pass around the playground, whenever someone would express sadness at Boba Fett dying so easily.
If I've heard of it, I have to assume other casual fans have to. So, casual as I am, the idea of seeing Fett actually escape from the pit on screen is very exciting. I like it.

I guess the fact that I had this pretty cool comic book focusing on Boba Fett, when I was younger, also endears me to him. Called "Twin Engines of Destruction" in case anyone is interested. Focused on an imposter dressing as Boba Fett and trying to take advantage of his reputation to get work. As you can imagine, Boba wasn't a big fan. Great read, at least in my memory.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #103
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This doesn't look good.

"Cassandra Cain" looks ridiculous. Black Mask, Zsasz, and Black Canary all look generic as hell.

And guess who's front and center? Harley, wearing some pompoms.

Not a good publicity move. I'd say pass, but maybe the trailer will be better.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #104
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like doubling down on the drivel. Cheap-looking drivel.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #105
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Looks like doubling down on the drivel. Cheap-looking drivel.
It's great that they're doing something different than what the MCU does, but... this doesn't look like a good take.

Doubling down on Margot Robbie's character, a bunch of Suicide Squad-esque bling and color, copy Laura from Logan, weird-ass costume choices...

Holding out hope for Ewan MacGregor, though.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #106
Leo656
The Franchise

Frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of any of these characters except Zsasz, so I'unno how great my enthusiasm will be. Plus, cramming Harley into a franchise she generally has nothing to do with is highly questionable, and reeks of try-hard. "Birds of Prey, featuring the ONE Character Everyone Liked From Suicide Squad!" doesn't really fill me with confidence.

That said, I actually liked Squad for what it was - an ensemble film that mostly served to open up the universe a bit more - and don't have a problem with more movies like that. Most of these characters, let's face it, couldn't carry a solo film, so stuff like this and Squad definitely has a place. It's just obvious that this WAS gonna be two movies, but they were nervous about a bunch of "no-name" characters carrying Birds of Prey, so they stuck it in a blender with the Harley movie to establish a bare minimum box office return.

Because if Squad proved anything, it's that even if people aren't in love with the entirety of a film, they're absolutely willing to pay money to see Margot Robbie in tiny short shorts. So, good business decision, but probably not gonna be a great story overall. We'll see.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #107
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of any of these characters except Zsasz, so I'unno how great my enthusiasm will be. Plus, cramming Harley into a franchise she generally has nothing to do with is highly questionable, and reeks of try-hard. "Birds of Prey, featuring the ONE Character Everyone Liked From Suicide Squad!" doesn't really fill me with confidence.

That said, I actually liked Squad for what it was - an ensemble film that mostly served to open up the universe a bit more - and don't have a problem with more movies like that. Most of these characters, let's face it, couldn't carry a solo film, so stuff like this and Squad definitely has a place. It's just obvious that this WAS gonna be two movies, but they were nervous about a bunch of "no-name" characters carrying Birds of Prey, so they stuck it in a blender with the Harley movie to establish a bare minimum box office return.

Because if Squad proved anything, it's that even if people aren't in love with the entirety of a film, they're absolutely willing to pay money to see Margot Robbie in tiny short shorts. So, good business decision, but probably not gonna be a great story overall. We'll see
This right here? I can't and won't argue with this.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #108
ABrown
Banned

I'm really excited to see that Birds of Prey hasn't gotten scrapped. It's pretty much the only movie in the DCEU that I'm looking forward to.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #109
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I'm really excited to see that Birds of Prey hasn't gotten scrapped. It's pretty much the only movie in the DCEU that I'm looking forward to.
Why? You didn't like the genuinely good ones?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #110
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Birds of Prey" will be rated R and "less male gaze-y."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/birds...x2fXXgMkTytSwQ
Old 06-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #111
snake
Disgusting

A group of attractive, crime-fighting women who wear tight costumes? Yeah, better cut all the sex appeal from it. It’s not like, the entire reason they were created in the first place or anything.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #112
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

I really like Margot Robbie, but I'd prefer "male gaze-y" over "fvcking garbage pompom jackets and suspenders" any damn day.

Can't we just put Margot in the Arkham City outfit? Or a slightly more realistic/practical red-and-black Batman TAS costume?

Do the only options HAVE to be "stuff the dollar bills in her g-string" or "hey that crack whore stole some sh!t-stained pompoms out of the high school gym's dumpster"?
Old 06-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #113
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

What else one can expect from the times where idea that men are attracted to the women is considered "problematique"?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #114
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:

Good. Women shouldn't feel pressured nor forced to don clothing they are personally uncomfortable in.

On a similar note, why is this set to become the lowest-budgeted movie of the DCEU?

Hollywood couldn't give less of a cheap about female-led films/franchises.

Anyway, I hope that despite its ever-restricting circumstances, that the film mightily succeeds.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 07-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #115
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Good. Women shouldn't feel pressured nor forced to don clothing they are personally uncomfortable in.
Yeah, it's not like they get roles in blockbusters thanks to their appearance or anything...

Quote:
It's not like those movies proved to be a unsuccessful or anything...
Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #116
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
21st century wamen are uncomfortable with everything.

Sneeze in their direction and they'll sue your nose.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #117
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 07-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #118
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I am all for it if Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn again. She nailed that role.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #119
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:

On a similar note, why is this set to become the lowest-budgeted movie of the DCEU?

Anyway, I hope that despite its ever-restricting circumstances, that the film mightily succeeds.
Because if the goddamn Justice League, a group of some of the most iconic fictional characters of all time, couldn't become a box-office hit, why in the hell would they expect this to? Nobody outside of people already invested in DC's various media knows anything about these characters, and the limited advertising so far makes it look like a grunge music video, or a Hot Topic commercial. Makes total sense to me that they would save budget for bigger stuff like WW1984 or the Batman movie if that's ever actually coming.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #120
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
Because if the goddamn Justice League, a group of some of the most iconic fictional characters of all time, couldn't become a box-office hit, why in the hell would they expect this to? Nobody outside of people already invested in DC's various media knows anything about these characters, and the limited advertising so far makes it look like a grunge music video, or a Hot Topic commercial. Makes total sense to me that they would save budget for bigger stuff like WW1984 or the Batman movie if that's ever actually coming.
Don't bring logic into this.

Obviously lack of desire to invest in a niche and risky project is a secret conspiracy of misogynists to bring women down.
Wonder Woman who?

Tags
#notmyblackcanary, fight the patriarchy, harley cinematic universe, less pc, more dc.