The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Hot Wheels The Movie

Quote:
Mattel and Warner Bros. are partnering up to bring the toy company’s Hot Wheels to theaters in the first ever live-action feature film for the beloved racecar franchise.

This will mark the second partnership for the two companies following the news of the “Barbie” feature film starring Margot Robbie.

“We are excited to bring the thrill of a Hot Wheels live-action feature film to the big screen in partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures,” Ynon Kreiz, Mattel’s chairman and CEO, said in a statement. “Mattel Films has great momentum as it continues to execute on our commitment to bring global audiences new ways to experience the brands they love as we transform Mattel into an IP-driven, high-performing toy company.”

Hot Wheels debuted in 1968 and has sold more than six billion individual cars during its storied 50-year history. With more than 500 million Hot Wheels being sold annually, it’s the number one selling toy in the world. Legendary had most recently been developing the rights to the project with Justin Lin, but after the option expired, Mattel took the rights back to the market.

“Hot Wheels has been inspiring the imagination of kids around the world for over 50 years,” said Toby Emmerich, Warner Bros.’ chairman. “We couldn’t be more excited to be bringing the adrenaline, adventure, and excitement of Hot Wheels to the big screen.”

The deal comes out of Mattel’s newly established Mattel Films, led by producer Robbie Brenner, as the company looks to take control of its IP as it has begun reacquiring the rights to various properties. Along with Barbie and Hot Wheels, Mattel also recently renegotiated a new deal with Sony on “Masters of the Universe.”
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/h...os-1203123041/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm not even surprised. Sure, why not.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Only worth seeing if they have the cars on a gravity defying looping race track.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Honestly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. But whether these are just race cars driven by humans or sentient cars, they're a bit late getting in on the concept.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, I was about to say, I swear to God they announced this over 10 years ago.

I always figured it either got dropped or ended up a straight-to-disc thing for kids. I didn't know they were still planning on doing this. Ridiculous!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Wildcat
Foot Elite

A live action Hot Wheels has been brought up before.

It’d be cool if they used some of the more outrageous cars in the toyline. The non-licensed fantasy ones. The giant loops too of course.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I can't wait to see my favorite Hot Wheels characters on the big screen!

I mean, who could forget. . .uh. . .the red sports car I lost under the fridge? I guess? Oh! And the. . . white pick up truck whose doors opened?

Tell ya, man. Exciting time to be alive.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I am curious where this will go. Hopefully not like Disney's Cars and Planes.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 AM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Well, this is surprising.

As most boys, I certainly had car toys when I was a kid. Some of them being of the Hot Wheels brand... but I barely remember them anymore.

I wonder if this movie is gonna be a way to introduce human characters aka pilots/drivers in order to give new life to the toyline and the property. If it's done right it can be a success, let's wait and see.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote