The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
Does anyone else really like Captain Ryan?

He's one of the best, "characters" created for this show. He's almost like a parody of James T. Kirk except he shows no remorse about people dying and is more than willing to sacrifice everyone.

It almost reminds me of Family Guy skits or stuff you'd see on Adult Swim.

I'm actually kinda hoping they make an episode where Leonardo gets, "transported" through Dimensions into the cartoon, and actually interacts with Captain Ryan. That's probably a plotline the original cartoon would have done if this concept existed back then, but may seem too silly for this series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
Captain Ryan is so funny, love him~

Splinter doesn't want Leo to model after Captain Ryan, but Ryan has been doing a great job of teaching him!! XD
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Bauer536
Mad Scientist
 
Bauer536's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,550
To be honest - Leo does look up to him, but I know inside, his real role model is Splinter himself.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Captain Ryan is awesome. I really liked the scene with him in the new episode:

"You broke my heart..." (presses button and disintegrates female villian) "Good thing my disintergrater still works!"
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
He isn't almost like a parody of James T. Kirk....he is a parody of James T. Kirk.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
TheCollector
Hench Mutant
 
TheCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 293
Personally I hate him and his Sealab 2021 animation style.

But that's just me.
__________________
TheCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
I'd like to see Leo interact with Captain Ryan, even if it's just a dream sequence.

Somebody in another thread brought up the idea of the turtles going to a convention, and meeting Captain Ryan's actor. That's a cool idea.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
Personally I hate him and his Sealab 2021 animation style.

But that's just me.
Not Sealab style, Star Trek:TAS:
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
TheCollector
Hench Mutant
 
TheCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not Sealab style, Star Trek:TAS:
Never saw Star Trek TAS, so I wouldn't know. Then again I must of seen something cause looking at a pic from Sealab, I really don't know why I thought it was that.
__________________
TheCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not Sealab style, Star Trek:TAS:
So going through this thread I was all like "GOTTA CORRECT CYBERCUBED ON THIS...oh wait...Jester did it. GOTTA CORRECT COLLECTOR ON THIS...oh wait...Jester did it".

We're on the same wave length, and it's scary.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,211
Space Heroes ****ing rocks. This episode was probably my favorite Captain Ryan moment.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
So going through this thread I was all like "GOTTA CORRECT CYBERCUBED ON THIS...oh wait...Jester did it. GOTTA CORRECT COLLECTOR ON THIS...oh wait...Jester did it".

We're on the same wave length, and it's scary.
Curse of the Kevins?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Kinda funny character
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
I won't say underrated, because I think the show won an Emmy. But it is certainly an under appreciated series.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not Sealab style, Star Trek:TAS:
Was that done by Filmation? LOL at the horrible editting and mega-LOL at all the times they show someone's face zoomed in... I guess cause they either wanted to fill up space or were too lazy to draw the rest of them.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Was that done by Filmation? LOL at the horrible editting and mega-LOL at all the times they show someone's face zoomed in... I guess cause they either wanted to fill up space or were too lazy to draw the rest of them.
Yes, Filmation. And LOTS of recycling...
But the stories were legit Star Trek, and animation allowed for some cool things they couldn't do live-action. Like visiting an underwater race of aliens.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #17
Vegeta
Hench Mutant
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 398
I like star trek so I love captain ryan, and yes. It's also really cool that Leo loves something really nerdy and not just Mikey. If we have to sit through another super hero episode based on lairds justice issue ill kill myself. I'd rather see more star trek references ha.
__________________
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #18
Shredded
Foot Soldier
 
Shredded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 228
Really, havning a parody within the show and turn Leo into what is basically a hardcore trekkie, that was a stroke of genius!

If there is some-thing all Leos have lacked, it's some sort of more tangible character, some-thing more relateable then just. "Wise and always correct leader."

There's a reason why he was never any-ones fave turtle.

But hell, what better way is there to make a character relateable to a geeky audience whom follows old TV-shows religously, then making him a geeky viewer following an old show religously?

That's genius! This Leo is a geek, and it's adorable, it's relateable, I really like this character now

And the show clips themselves, are hillarious, small bits of hillarious comedy bits, and absolute call-backs to genuine Star Trek episodes some-times. That clip with the small. "trumpetthingies." laying all around the ship, they just threw out in space. "cause we have mercy." that was totally a reference to the Tribbles from actual Star Trek, oh that was lovely.
Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #19
tlg80
Foot Soldier
 
tlg80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 114
It's great to see Leo being a fan boy of Captain Ryan. Seeing his expressions as he watches episodes. Raph giving him flak for watching it. So yeah, I do like Captain Ryan.
tlg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #20
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
I like Captain Ryan. Large ham, questionable ethics (I smiled like an idiot when he vaporized his love interest) and not afraid to slap himself.
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nick


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.