The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #121
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Watching a few episodes of the new show back to back recently, Don's crush is becoming overbearing. I was hoping it wouldn't end up being the defining characteristic of his character, but it is, and it's just not being done very well.

I'm not against one or all of the TMNT having a crush on April, but the way they're doing it is just making me want to see less of Donatello entirely. If they're still doing the same shtick two seasons from now, I don't think I"ll still be sticking with this show by then. It's getting on my nerves. If they toned it down it would be different, but it's so unbearably front-and-center I can't stand it.

You could turn "Don mentions April" into a drinking game and be hammered by the end credits of any random episode. Too much.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #122
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
I don't think its over done, I think it just seems that way since he seemed to have a crush on her in the 2003 series but he was very careful not to make it obvious. Its just weird to me that it's Don who has the crush because its usually Mike. It's weird enough that Don is being voiced by Ol' Raph
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #123
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisardo View Post
Heh, there's already Don/April (2012) smut art too now. I stumbled upon it by accident when I was doing a general TMNT Google image search. And there's also less smutty Don/April artwork on DA as well. Yeah the incestuous brother-brother porn crap is sick, but when you think about it, probably realistic.
You're gonna hate what you see if you google rubaka/akabur for the OT
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #124
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist
 
DonatelloNinja82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I take it you never watched Gargoyles...
Totally this...Elisa/Goliath...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude View Post
Soap wouldn't, but what about opera?
Phantom of the Floxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Rob Paulsen to Sean Astin on Twitter earlier today:

"We miss you, Raph. Please come back to the lair. Love, Donnie. Oh, please bring Turtle Wax. (got a date with April tonite!)"

True story.
That's just hilarious. I love Rob Paulson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
Trust me people acting this way isn't strictly stuck in only Turtles fandom. There is crazy everywhere, sometimes I think it's just more obvious in Turtles fandom because we are small in comparison to a lot of fandoms and all kind of "know" one another.

Rob Paulsen is an amazing man, and that's about all I feel I need to say!

I am kind of in the "whatever floats peoples boat" area. If people want to ship things more power to them, as long as your not shoving it in my face and yelling at me if I don't agree I won't mess with your make believe dreams.

Though being a fan of Star Trek almost as long as Turtles I have to play devil's advocate and ask if the Turtles are really "animals"?? They are sentient humanoid reptiles which one could argue is an excelled step in evolution. I mean the Cardassian race in Star Trek are large humanoid reptiles and they are "people" and have relationships and offspring with mammal species.

Not that I'm saying the Turtles need to be procreating with anyone in any media anytime soon, it's just something I am curious about peoples thoughts about.
I totally agree with your Star Trek comment. I became a fan of ST:TNG a few years after TMNT, and there are lots of hybrid aliens on that show...it totally works.

I have nothing against TMNT relationships, as long as they are done right. I view them as sentient humanoids as others have stated. They walk, talk, think, have dreams and aspirations just like any human.
__________________
Michelangelo: Holy guacamole with hot sauce and jalapenos!

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #125
Luckyday
Mad Scientist
 
Luckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Watching a few episodes of the new show back to back recently, Don's crush is becoming overbearing. I was hoping it wouldn't end up being the defining characteristic of his character, but it is, and it's just not being done very well.

I'm not against one or all of the TMNT having a crush on April, but the way they're doing it is just making me want to see less of Donatello entirely. If they're still doing the same shtick two seasons from now, I don't think I"ll still be sticking with this show by then. It's getting on my nerves. If they toned it down it would be different, but it's so unbearably front-and-center I can't stand it.

You could turn "Don mentions April" into a drinking game and be hammered by the end credits of any random episode. Too much.
It starting to get on my nerves too but unfortunately it going to be one of those things that will keep going through the seasons of the show cause the writers think it just so freaking precious.
__________________
Quote:
It’s time we stop trying to be perfect and be who we really are.
We’re crazed, angry, sweaty animals!
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #126
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
I guess another thing that helps with the fangirls is that the Turtles are actually cute in the cartoons. Understandably so, since most heroes or main characters have to be somewhat attractive (unless the show's main thing is, hey, we're different, we got a fat ugly dude as the hero).

We all know real life mutated reptiles that walk and talk wouldn't look attractive. They'd either look like Tokka, or like they do in Out of the Shadows. But that's not how they look like in the cartoons, so yeah, fangirls fall for them.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #127
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Watching a few episodes of the new show back to back recently, Don's crush is becoming overbearing. I was hoping it wouldn't end up being the defining characteristic of his character, but it is, and it's just not being done very well.

I'm not against one or all of the TMNT having a crush on April, but the way they're doing it is just making me want to see less of Donatello entirely. If they're still doing the same shtick two seasons from now, I don't think I"ll still be sticking with this show by then. It's getting on my nerves. If they toned it down it would be different, but it's so unbearably front-and-center I can't stand it.

You could turn "Don mentions April" into a drinking game and be hammered by the end credits of any random episode. Too much.
...I know...it's getting a little crazy.....
__________________
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #128
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
I don't think Don's crush on April is THAT bad. I actually think it's funny, especially in the latest episode where he tried to impress her by rescuing her dad. It was just really sweet.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #129
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist
 
DonatelloNinja82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,345
I guess I'm just a hopeless romantic...I just think Donnie's crush on April is adorable (sadorable?)
__________________
Michelangelo: Holy guacamole with hot sauce and jalapenos!

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #130
Captain PunchYouHard
Hench Mutant
 
Captain PunchYouHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 334
For my taste, it's right at the upper limit. Any more frequent, and it would be obnoxious. I might be willing to see it go deeper and further, but nothing beyond, say, Scott Summers and Jean Grey in the old X-Men animated series. If it turns into Donnie and April holding hands on top of the Empire State Building or some equivalent every episode, I swear I will go back to watching documentaries only. Currently, it's being used as a humor device/something to help viewers identify with the characters - I'm surprised she hasn't friendzoned him yet, due to that factor.

As to the anthro/bestiality aspect: My only personal issue with bestiality, or any other bedroom practice, is consent. Since animals aren't sapient, we can't be sure that they consent even if they seem to willingly participate - this is the same reason many countries have an age of consent and/or some protection for the mentally challenged. The turtles are obviously sapient, and Donnie more than the rest of them. He clearly consents. Maybe April will consent.* If so, I'm all for it - let's celebrate love wherever we can find it.

Yeah, I'm one of those Femsheps who sleeps with Garrus in Mass Effect 2.

Tl;dr: Omnia vincit amor! Donnie/April 4eva! (I refuse to call it Apriltello.)


*I'm talking about just the kissy stuff here, since they're not of age yet.
__________________

(GIF by Martinf)
Captain PunchYouHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #131
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist
 
DonatelloNinja82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,345
"Love conquers all..." Latin is awesome. And yes...I don't like Apriltello either. Not too big on when they mash the two names together. April/Donnie is much better.
__________________
Michelangelo: Holy guacamole with hot sauce and jalapenos!

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #132
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Way I look at it, in the context of this show at least they're not going to "hook up", so what's the point of keeping it going or intensifying it? If it becomes a recurring part of the show over a period of years, not only will it become annoying, it will completely undermine Donnie's character into some one-dimensional, delusional, co-dependent sap.

I'm not saying it's completely horrible or the worst thing they ever did, but it's pretty obvious this show will not be exploring any explicit Turtle/April romance, so I hope at some point they let it go and have Donnie move on.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #133
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
It's probably going to end when Casey Jones debuts in Season 2.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #134
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I'm kinda half-hoping April starts to like Casey leading to Don getting all jealous and a character arc between him and Casey. If this thing leads to something story-wise, fine, but if it's just puppy love with no point or resolution, I'm not a fan of it going long-term.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #135
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Watching a few episodes of the new show back to back recently, Don's crush is becoming overbearing. I was hoping it wouldn't end up being the defining characteristic of his character, but it is, and it's just not being done very well.

I'm not against one or all of the TMNT having a crush on April, but the way they're doing it is just making me want to see less of Donatello entirely. If they're still doing the same shtick two seasons from now, I don't think I"ll still be sticking with this show by then. It's getting on my nerves. If they toned it down it would be different, but it's so unbearably front-and-center I can't stand it.

You could turn "Don mentions April" into a drinking game and be hammered by the end credits of any random episode. Too much.
I couldn't disagree with ya more Leo. Saying Donnie's crush on April is his defining characteristic. That's like saying Indiana Jones' defining characteristic is hooking up with a different woman on every quest he goes on.

Donnie's defining characteristic is still what it's always been, an scientist/inventor who more times than not, gets his brothers out of trouble.

And as far as saying it's not being written well; how else are you supposed to write about a character not knowing what to say or do to his first crush, who's very life happens to be in jeopardy?

Now I've said this before and I'll say it again: They made it clear since the pilot that the April/Donnie relationship was going to be one of the bigger deals in the first season and was going to reach its peek in the finale. You guys had 9 months to prepare for this, because it was very clear from the start that this was going to happen.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #136
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Kevin Spacey pretty much told Brad Pitt he was going to present him his wife's head in a box in Se7en, and I don't think having time to get ready for it made it any more unsettling in the end.

......I have no idea why THAT, specifically, was the very first comparative scenario that my mind came up with.

Oh, also ::::::::::::SPOILERS::::::::::::::::::::: for a movie older than half of the people reading this.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #137
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Kevin Spacey pretty much told Brad Pitt he was going to present him his wife's head in a box in Se7en, and I don't think having time to get ready for it made it any more unsettling in the end.

......I have no idea why THAT, specifically, was the very first comparative scenario that my mind came up with.

Oh, also ::::::::::::SPOILERS::::::::::::::::::::: for a movie older than half of the people reading this.
Because we're wrestling fans, and we think of the crazy crap first.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #138
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
At first the ending of that movie bothered me. Then I watched Gwyneth in Iron Man again, and after that I felt she deserved it. Am I a bad person?
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #139
Captain PunchYouHard
Hench Mutant
 
Captain PunchYouHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 334
The hypothetical alternative is that Nick will realize that there are more 12-to-40-year-old females watching than actual teen boys, and turn it into a shoujo anime.

*ducks thrown objects*
__________________

(GIF by Martinf)
Captain PunchYouHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #140
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
thing is they aren't evolved. They have gotten contaminated and affected by that, their mutation ain't natural.

And there is the whole thing how "evolution" works in fiction, clearly a humanoid for ain't what all species are going for in the far future.
"In the future. Dogs have evolved to a advanced bipedal being with the ability to speak and create machinery, raging war against humanity."

Ad the Star Trek example can easily be debunked that it's aliens, and they might not be just reptiles, but something entirely else that is compatible with other species/races.

Like the Dragonborn race in Dungeons & Dragons, they are a human/Dragon hybrid race, thought they have reptilian apperance, they aren't reptiles. Not even remotely, since Dragons aren't reptiles in D&D.

I personally don't care, I just commented on the whole connecting the TurtlexHuman relationship dislike to racism. Since the turtles are pet turtles, animals turned humanoid. They may have a human-like features, facial expressions, human like arms and legs, pose-able thumbs.

But they are still turtles, and some have turtles as pets.

had they been members of a ancient turtle race, it would probably had been different.
Not quite true on the Dragonborn- you are likely thinking of the 4th ed version, which not only ARE reptiles (Dragons ARE reptiles- they are listed in every version of the game as such, being cold-blooded, egg-laying, scaly creatures and even related to other reptilian races/species) but are also descended from one or more generations of such hybrids. In 3.5, Dragonborn was the name of a "race" created through a human (or dwarf, elf, etc) undergoing a ritual to be "reborn" with draconic attributes as followers of a draconic god (Bahamut). Prior to that, the only hybrid draconic "race" was the half-dragon (in 2nd ed) which was a true hybrid of dragon and human, dwarf, elf, or gnome, or, as in Dragonlance's Krynn, the Draconians, which were created by "mutating" dragon offspring into a humanoid form while still in the egg via a magical/divine ritual.

The point of this is that there is certainly precedent in other media for true hybrid offspring/mutations of two separate races/species to exist, and even to be able to have relationships with other speices. In Dragonlance, there are at least TWO examples in the novels of a human (or elf in one case) falling in love with a dragon (the metallic dragons of D&D are fully sentient and capable of changing into a humanoid form and living AS such races for extended periods of time if they wish). If such obviously different beings can have offspring, what's wrong with a mutated(or "reborn") turtle doing so?

This is really no different than human/alien relationships- In Star Trek alone there are Neelix/Kess, Tom/Be'lana, Sarak/Spock's mom(forgot her name, but she's human), Ryker/Troi, Kirk/any alien chick, Tasha/Data, Odo/the Bajoran chick on DS9, AltUni Tasha/a Cardassian, etc.... Aliens could be considered a totally different "species" as much as any animal is. And a humanoid turtle is no less "alien" in terms of physical differences than a member of an extraterrestrial species.

Given the prevalence of interspecies relationships in sci-fi and fantasy (because that's what elves, dwarves, and the like are), I don't see what the fuss is about. Why is a turtle/fox/lizard/etc any worse than any of the other romantic matches in fiction? At least it's not necrophilia!! (Which is what a relationship with a vampire would be. Take THAT, Twilight!!) And Gargoyles is one of the BEST examples ever!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, nick


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.