The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #381
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm actually really curious about what sorts of editorial pressures there are for this show in general. We heard all about the budgetary and time constraints, and a bit about the censorship (ie: no headshots...unless you put the faces in the belly. Which again, pretty awesome loophole there.)

At the New York Comic Con this year Bryan Konietzko, one of the Co-Creators of Avatar and Legend of Korra, gave a presentation that took the audience step by step through their animation process.

I'd love if the Nick Turtle people would do something similar. Most of Korra is hand drawn with some CG elements, and it'd be great to see the compare/contrast with a full CG show.

There was an amazing book published all about the art and the creative process of Avatar. Everything from the original sketches, to the pilot, and then backgrounds and process of character development. Wonderful book for anyone who likes the creative process...

TMNT should Absolutely have a similar book.
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #382
Martin
Stone Warrior
 
Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricN View Post
From that, i realized how less epic kraang battles would be if the head was not fair game. Pretty sure each turtle has knocked the head off a kraang atleast once.
But think about this, footbots don't have ANYTHING in them. Have you noticed how brutal those fights are? It's just too sweet.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #383
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator
 
Jo Dawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Authority On All Things Don
Posts: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
noooooo.... sh*t here comes another 8 pages of comments...
I did it, too. Sorry. Got here late.

Anyhow, yes, Splinter. Shredder. Their past. Very intriguing.
__________________
Jo Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #384
Martin
Stone Warrior
 
Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
There was an amazing book published all about the art and the creative process of Avatar. Everything from the original sketches, to the pilot, and then backgrounds and process of character development. Wonderful book for anyone who likes the creative process...

TMNT should Absolutely have a similar book.
Wow, so cool! I'll save it up in my cart so I can get it once my wallet is in a better shape. Thanks for sharing!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #385
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
There was an amazing book published all about the art and the creative process of Avatar. Everything from the original sketches, to the pilot, and then backgrounds and process of character development. Wonderful book for anyone who likes the creative process...

TMNT should Absolutely have a similar book.
They released a similar book about Korra's first season, and are planning to release three more as the show progresses. I for one am very excited about that.

I totally agree. I'd love to know about the whole process. From eyeballs to entrails, as it were.

One of the benefits of the sale to Viacom: easier access to merch.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #386
Electric
Epic Hiatus
 
Electric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
But think about this, footbots don't have ANYTHING in them. Have you noticed how brutal those fights are? It's just too sweet.
definitely. the second they realized they werent human it just amped up. one of my personal favorites being when it appeared leos sword got stuck for a second in one, and he just continued to drag it through, taking off half the body.

i just hope they intermix robots with foot. or that donnie and mikey actually use their blades in fights, so everyone can stab through a bot
__________________
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #387
Martin
Stone Warrior
 
Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMan View Post
Since Ciro was hinting at Triceratons, think they will be enemies of the Kraang from Dimension X? Perhaps they hired Newtralizer to go after them?
He hinted, but he also didn't hint. I mean, he said that triceratons and fugitoid stuff were impossible to make in the near future because, you know, budget. Like 'they gotta be there cause it's a turtle show, but we can't make that happen yet'. Maybe if they did that tournament thing someone suggested for season 3 they'd have enough sets credit to actually do the thing

Going back to topic, if they end up showing up, that'd be my guess as well. This show has a lot of parallelisms with the IDW comics, and it seems that the triceratons are against the utroms over there, so it might be the same here.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #388
Electric
Epic Hiatus
 
Electric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
He hinted, but he also didn't hint. I mean, he said that triceratons and fugitoid stuff were impossible to make in the near future because, you know, budget. Like 'they gotta be there cause it's a turtle show, but we can't make that happen yet'. Maybe if they did that tournament thing someone suggested for season 3 they'd have enough sets credit to actually do the thing

Going back to topic, if they end up showing up, that'd be my guess as well. This show has a lot of parallelisms with the IDW comics, and it seems that the triceratons are against the utroms over there, so it might be the same here.
im not a particular fan of all the different dimension and outer space heavy aspects of tmnt, but if they include the triceratons in a decent way, i think theyd fit right in and add something of depth to the kraang.
__________________
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #389
demonsweat
Stone Warrior
 
demonsweat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: a warm place
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
But think about this, footbots don't have ANYTHING in them. Have you noticed how brutal those fights are? It's just too sweet.
SO brutal. SO good. The action in this show is phenomenal. When the footbots showed I wasn't all that impressed... until everything started getting all stabby. Then I was like, "OH I get it!" I thought they'd just be slicing off a limb here and there, but it got pretty graphic. When Leo stabbed one through the middle, then the other, and the second bot pulled himself down the blade... I was floored. Meant to make a gif of that, actually...hm
__________________
stuff to read: fanfiction.net / deviantArt
stuff to look at: Sweat's Dojo / Screencap Gallery
demonsweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #390
Martin
Stone Warrior
 
Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsweat View Post
SO brutal. SO good. The action in this show is phenomenal. When the footbots showed I wasn't all that impressed... until everything started getting all stabby. Then I was like, "OH I get it!" I thought they'd just be slicing off a limb here and there, but it got pretty graphic. When Leo stabbed one through the middle, then the other, and the second bot pulled himself down the blade... I was floored
It's freaking awesome. I think they replaced all foot soldiers with footbots just so this could happen, and I'm just glad they did. I mean, Leo does carry two katanas around, it's about time he got to slice a few heads off, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsweat View Post
Meant to make a gif of that, actually...hm
dooo et! haha

edit: Btw, please ignore all my freaking grammatical errors. It's late, I have a headache, I'm latino. The odds really aren't in my favor right now, haha.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #391
SpiderFly
Random Punk
 
SpiderFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I starting to think this whole conversation would have been a little more nuanced and dare I say "adult" if female representation in the cartoons 80s and 90s were a bit more equitable. Alas, we'll just have to keep fighting and see what the next generation has to say. I'm patient. I mean...I've been having pretty much this exact same argument since I joined fandom 22 years ago.

I do have to say that my favorite part about the interview was hearing about the Mikey Test.

It's an unpopular fandom opinion, but I hate Dude!Mikey. With a passion that could fuel a thousand suns. It's one of the reasons why my favorite incarnations of the character is either Mirage or Live Action Movie.

So hearing Ciro talk about the Mikey Test really made me happy. Especially given the stuff that does get animated for him. Sheesh, I can only imagine the stuff that was in there BEFORE the editorial changes.

I'm actually really curious about what sorts of editorial pressures there are for this show in general. We heard all about the budgetary and time constraints, and a bit about the censorship (ie: no headshots...unless you put the faces in the belly. Which again, pretty awesome loophole there.)

At the New York Comic Con this year Bryan Konietzko, one of the Co-Creators of Avatar and Legend of Korra, gave a presentation that took the audience step by step through their animation process.

I'd love if the Nick Turtle people would do something similar. Most of Korra is hand drawn with some CG elements, and it'd be great to see the compare/contrast with a full CG show.
This whole thread has actually been a lot better than I expected. The fact that the fandom is actually talking about these issues is pretty cool.

In regards to Mikey, I like to think I'm not as bothered by his surfer dude/comedy persona. I'm a relatively new fan whose real exposure as a kid would have to have been the 2003 series, and now the Nick series, so I can't really speak from older sources. However, they tend to really over-rely on comedy and immaturity for his character. He's young and learning, I know, but I would be one of those that prefer him to be more serious. Seeing how characters deal with problems/adversity is how we can really explore them. But since Mikey is suppose to be the team's clown he's not allowed to be phased by anything.

Or at least focus on his empathetic qualities as a strength. His character really impressed me with his "soft muscle/squish" dialogue. And kudos to Ciro for realizing his mistake and going back to try and fix it. I shudder to think what it was like before his edits as well, but I will continue to look forward to how he intends to expand on this.
SpiderFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #392
Electric
Epic Hiatus
 
Electric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderFly View Post
T
In regards to Mikey, I like to think I'm not as bothered by his surfer dude/comedy persona. I'm a relatively new fan whose real exposure as a kid would have to have been the 2003 series, and now the Nick series, so I can't really speak from older sources. However, they tend to really over-rely on comedy and immaturity for his character. He's young and learning, I know, but I would be one of those that prefer him to be more serious. Seeing how characters deal with problems/adversity is how we can really explore them. But since Mikey is suppose to be the team's clown he's not allowed to be phased by anything.

Or at least focus on his empathetic qualities as a strength. His character really impressed me with his "soft muscle/squish" dialogue. And kudos to Ciro for realizing his mistake and going back to try and fix it. I shudder to think what it was like before his edits as well, but I will continue to look forward to how he intends to expand on this.
mikey has never really been one of my favorite turtles, for different reasons. but just as they added some different traits to the other 3, i really like how theyre adding the empathy to mikey. it seems like such a natural quality for this innocent mikey to have, and it allows for some development in a different way

im also in the same boat as you, with most of my early tmnt being the 2k3, so the mikey i was used to was that one
__________________
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #393
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Mirage gave us the best Mike. He was the everyturtle. The baseline by which all the others were The Leader, The Basket Case, and The Brain.

Having said that...I'll be damned if Nick Mike hasn't wormed his way into my heart. Kudos both to the writing, animation, and the performance by Cipes.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #394
Electric
Epic Hiatus
 
Electric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Mirage gave us the best Mike. He was the everyturtle. The baseline by which all the others were The Leader, The Basket Case, and The Brain.

Having said that...I'll be damned if Nick Mike hasn't wormed his way into my heart. Kudos both to the writing, animation, and the performance by Cipes.
cipes is what really does it for me. from what ive seen of him, he is mikey, and he portays him with just the right amount of goofyness, fun loving, and compassion.

this mikey isnt perfect, but great
__________________
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #395
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
He hinted, but he also didn't hint. I mean, he said that triceratons and fugitoid stuff were impossible to make in the near future because, you know, budget. Like 'they gotta be there cause it's a turtle show, but we can't make that happen yet'. Maybe if they did that tournament thing someone suggested for season 3 they'd have enough sets credit to actually do the thing

Going back to topic, if they end up showing up, that'd be my guess as well. This show has a lot of parallelisms with the IDW comics, and it seems that the triceratons are against the utroms over there, so it might be the same here.
They're going to Dimension X by the end of Season 2. He said it takes time to build sets but once they have them they use them more.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #396
SpiderFly
Random Punk
 
SpiderFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Mirage gave us the best Mike. He was the everyturtle. The baseline by which all the others were The Leader, The Basket Case, and The Brain.

Having said that...I'll be damned if Nick Mike hasn't wormed his way into my heart. Kudos both to the writing, animation, and the performance by Cipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricN View Post
cipes is what really does it for me. from what ive seen of him, he is mikey, and he portays him with just the right amount of goofyness, fun loving, and compassion.

this mikey isnt perfect, but great
I don't have much exposure to Mirage but is that the series with the chapter of Mikey captured by the Rat King? If so, that story was so poignant to me. He was captured, beaten and despite the odds (and the hoards of blood thirsty rats) he still wanted to go back and save the crazy dude. That's the unslayable hope and positive mindset I like in his character.

And I too really love Cipes as Mikey. He reminds me so much of Teen Titan's Beast boy and I adored that character.

Mikey isn't my favorite turtle ( I don't have one) but I feel a bit more invested in him emotionally as he's the sibling that is most like me. Heck, Donatello is an exact replica of my older brother in turtle form. It's so funny to see the relationship of him and Mikey on the show when it's just like me and my brother in real life. Awesome.
SpiderFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #397
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,367
Here's our next episode:

LISTEN NOW

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-19-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #398
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant
 
Slime State Alumni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Slime City
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Here's our next episode:

LISTEN NOW
You guys are on a roll with these quality podcasts. More Showa-era super sentei/Kamen Rider discussions please.

Also, I forget who it was, but the person that discussed empathy development and the internet - it's really similar to what Louis CK pointed out on Conan fairly recently about cell phones. Granted, the way CK articulated it was hilarious, but still the same point.
__________________

Last edited by Slime State Alumni; 11-19-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Slime State Alumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #399
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
okay this thread got a ton of pages!

saw the update Ciro said *_* YAY!! so more girls will come!! just not as important as Karai or April! I'm cool with dat!!



sorry for giving you so much crap Ciro!



.....is it bad that I want Mikey to have a girlfriend even though I said I didn't want girls to just be love interests???.....yea it's bad.

I'm also curious of what lines Ciro had to take out from Mikey's dialogue....
__________________

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 11-19-2013 at 02:25 AM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #400
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
I kinda prefer Raph and Mikey being single tbh.

There's a lot of love drama going on with Leo and Don as it is.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ciro nieli


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.