The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #201
electric_sheep
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,639
So what's Donatello's personality? Does machine isn't personality trait, it's the thing that you do. I can't stand the Nick version, he's yells way to much, he's got more anger issues than Raph and his obsession with April only makes him unlikable, hey idiot you are a giant turtle, she'll never fall for you and he's supost to be the smart one?
Donnie isn't only suposed to be the smart one he's also supost to be the wise one if anything ever happened to leo he would be the one to lead, i don't see that in this version...

Last edited by electric_sheep; 05-15-2014 at 09:47 AM.
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #202
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Hi all. I know it's been a long time, but I'm finally getting back into the turtle fandom...again. A couple of days ago, I finally gave the 2K12 series a chance. I started watching Thursday night after work and finished it this morning (it's Sunday for me here).

I've been hesitant all of this time to even watch the show because a teen April just didn't sit right with me. I just prefer her as older and the "mother-type" to the turtles, ya know? I was also worried that if she was their peer, that she'd be around way too much and one of the turtles would crush on her or something and lo and behold...we get Donny.

That aside, I'm slightly indifferent towards Donny for the 2K12 series. The things I like about him in the other incarnations I've been exposed to (OT, Archie, Mirage, TNM [although a I've said, I just don't remember enough about the series as a whole to say much of anything]) is still cool, but I just can't favor him for this incarnation for some reason.

I don't know, but his crush on April is cute at times, based on what I've seen, but other times I find it a bit bothersome and grating. I also find his arrogance a bit....I dunno. I'm so used of him being kind of calm, but he does have his outbursts and that bothers me slightly for some reason.

Things I do like, his intelligence as always, and I like his interactions with the other turtles. Sometimes, his interactions with Raph makes me think of Mirage Donny. I also like how he does seem close to Mikey (which also makes me think of their Mirage counterparts). I also like the fact that he is coming across as a bit pacifistic despite not hesitating to fight or not doing so as much. Personally, I feel that Donny would have the upper hand most times if he used his naginata. I don't think I've seen him use it yet. We've only seen it being used accidentally. I haven't watched season 2 yet, does he use it then?

Oh, even though I'm not big on cg animation, I do like the fact that Donny is the tallest of the four. Isn't he the biggest of the turtles in the Mirage comics in general?

Anyway, I guess I need to watch more of the series to get more of an appreciation for Donny's character. I like him....but I just can't favor him, and getting down to it, I think this is the first medium of the franchise that I've been exposed to where I actually can't favor either of them fully...but if choosing, seems Donny loses here. I can't believe it, but I'd say maybe Leo may be inching up over the other three.

As I continue on with this series, I'm hoping beyond hope that the open crush (seriously, you'd have to be blind not to see it....and if April doesn't...well... lol), doesn't end up defining Donny's character or that it becomes such a huge part of his character that it overshadows other aspects of his character and development. What do you guys think for those who are more caught up with the series? Does it feel like the show is going in this direction?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #203
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post

As I continue on with this series, I'm hoping beyond hope that the open crush (seriously, you'd have to be blind not to see it....and if April doesn't...well... lol), doesn't end up defining Donny's character or that it becomes such a huge part of his character that it overshadows other aspects of his character and development. What do you guys think for those who are more caught up with the series? Does it feel like the show is going in this direction?
You should check out this thread, if you are curious about the direction of the Nick show and the characters: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=46311

Mind you, some of the opinions may not be too pretty when you get to the last pages.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:15 AM   #204
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
You should check out this thread, if you are curious about the direction of the Nick show and the characters: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=46311

Mind you, some of the opinions may not be too pretty when you get to the last pages.
Thanks. I just made a super long post about my thoughts so far on the series. ^^
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #205
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Nick Donnie is my favourite incarnation of the character. I like that he's not just "the smart one" - he has his own flaws, nuances and ticks. The April crush is... problematic in its portrayal, but I understand what Ciro was trying to go for. Snarky Don just makes sense to me; he's so overly logical but that doesn't always translate into his ability to communicate with people who aren't on his wavelength.
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #206
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Oh, even though I'm not big on cg animation, I do like the fact that Donny is the tallest of the four. Isn't he the biggest of the turtles in the Mirage comics in general?
The size differences never, ever existed in Mirage. Donatello is only the tallest in IDW, the Nick series, and fanart.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #207
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
The size differences never, ever existed in Mirage. Donatello is only the tallest in IDW, the Nick series, and fanart.
Really? I thought they were, like in official profiles.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #208
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
Well, if you count the Palladium RPG player stats or the Playmates toys stats? But I'm pretty sure the former was unofficial, not confirmed by the Mirage creators, and pretty weird to boot. And in Playmates Don was shortest by like a foot.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #209
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I don't know, but his crush on April is cute at times, based on what I've seen, but other times I find it a bit bothersome and grating.
It's never cute. It's creepy and unacceptable and people need to stop calling it cute or approving of it in any way possible. It's horrible. Never support it. If somebody acted towards me in a similar way Donnie acts towards April in the 2k12 series, I would be downright afraid of that person and would definitely be considering legal action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
As I continue on with this series, I'm hoping beyond hope that the open crush (seriously, you'd have to be blind not to see it....and if April doesn't...well... lol), doesn't end up defining Donny's character or that it becomes such a huge part of his character that it overshadows other aspects of his character and development.
Too late, it already does define his character. 2k12 Donnie's character is nothing but April and the occasional nerdism. Half the **** he says don't even make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Nick Donnie is my favourite incarnation of the character. I like that he's not just "the smart one" - he has his own flaws, nuances and ticks. The April crush is... problematic in its portrayal, but I understand what Ciro was trying to go for.
The crush is problematic, therefore Ciro should not be excused at all and the portrayal should not be considered positive in any way shape or form unless it improves. I will not tolerate it. Canon does not even bother displaying that Donnie's behaviour is highly inappropriate, therefore sending a message to the viewers [which, need I remind you, are marketed to be children] that acting this way towards the person of your affections is okay. It is absolutely not okay.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #210
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
The April crush isn't that bad, guys. I mean...if it's still a big part of his character in Season 3 I'll be a bit disappointed, but it doesn't bother me that much.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #211
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist
 
DarkLightDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,026
I don't like the crush. Plain and simple. And no, it's not because he's a turtle and she's human (and part-Kraang apparently. As if we can't make April more of a special 'plot device' for this show already instead of just a three-dimensional character) it's just written poorly and does no beneficial favors for either character aside from giving the fans the misconception that "romance makes characters more interesting and developed."

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 09-29-2014 at 09:09 AM.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #212
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
The April crush isn't that bad, guys. I mean...if it's still a big part of his character in Season 3 I'll be a bit disappointed, but it doesn't bother me that much.
YES, yes it IS that ****ing bad. It reinforces that it's OKAY to stalk and disrespect the boundaries of a person you are infatuated with.

I'm not sure what planet you live on, but this is Earth and on Earth that is not okay.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #213
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
I don't recall Donnie stalking April or disrespecting her boundaries...
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #214
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I don't recall Donnie stalking April or disrespecting her boundaries...
Spying with a robot? Taking pictures of her without permission? Taking it upon himself to follow her when she didn't want to see him?
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #215
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Spying with a robot? Taking pictures of her without permission? Taking it upon himself to follow her when she didn't want to see him?
Ok, I guess he did do these things, but April has never shown any anger or annoyance towards him...and if she did I'm sure he'd stop.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #216
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Ok, I guess he did do these things, but April has never shown any anger or annoyance towards him...and if she did I'm sure he'd stop.
Like when she was mad at him because of her dad's mutation, and he still followed her?

There is some moments where Donnie seems to be taking notes from Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it can get awkward.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #217
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
None of you would complain if the genders were reversed...
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #218
electric_sheep
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I don't recall Donnie stalking April or disrespecting her boundaries...
Takind pictures of her without her knowledge, making plans how to seduce her, yeah he's stalking her...
Do the writers still think it's cute? because it's borderline retarded...
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #219
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
None of you would complain if the genders were reversed...
I think Donnie's crush is innocent (after all it's a kids program and won't get but so twisted/dark...at least I would assume, and most of it is played for comedic effect). It's not like the writers are intending for it to be taken in a way that's being a stalker.

However, as to your comment about "genders reversed", I have had the roles reversed and had a female stalker for years. Having a restraining order didn't help. Moving out of town over 100 miles away didn't help either! Crazy $**t!!

All of this started in the early 90's and still continues on and off to this day. She's absolutely nutty!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #220
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
None of you would complain if the genders were reversed...
Wow, didn't know you here a mind reader.


Yes, you caught me Skippy. It would have been A-Okay if it was April doing the stalking, cause it's funny when it happens to the mens. Yay.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.