![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Why are so many women into the turtles
I really hope I won't be destroyed for asking this question, but I've noticed that there is an unusually high number of females on this forum. Compare it to sites like comic vine, comic book resources etc which are hugely male-dominated.
I'm happy about this, as the more the merrier, and the wider variety of people the merrier, but I was wondering why this is. Some people might say it's because the turtles are seen as more 'kiddy' than Marvel or DC, but I find that hugely demeaning and intellectually insulting towards women. Some of the most intelligent posters on the forum seem to be women, particularly academically speaking. There are a few women on this forum who seem to have a major academic background. I won't name them but it's pretty obvious who one or two of them are. So what's the reason(s)? Why do the turtles attract more females than Batman or the Avengers etc? |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
|
I feel like I probably like it for a lot of the same reasons most guys do. Why do you like it?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
Most of it boils down to the family themes, as well as my love for clandestine ninja clans and street level battles. I love Daredevil as well. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
|
Quote:
There's action, drama, emphasis on family, dealing with being outcast, relatable personalities... TMNT is full of universally appealing themes. It's not the only fandom I'm into, but at the moment it's my favorite. I'm a long-time fan of X-Men for a lot of the same reasons. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
I suppose we could extend this to ask why anime is so popular with girls and women? In fact, it seems that the majority of anime viewers are female. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 | |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
|
Quote:
Perhaps the nature of the TMNT fandom is more accepting to women? Perhaps it was popularized by a cartoon which took the world by storm, basically turning the characters into household names so it was simple to ease into. I guess I'm the wrong person to ask, because I'm involved in a lot of fandoms/communities that are male-dominated like the FGC, MtG, Kaiju, etc. And I find them just as appealing. I kinda just like well-written, fun characters....and big stompy monsters. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
I don't know what any of those acronyms stand for though. I am in a minority in some fandoms myself - I'm a male who watches Once Upon A Time. And I really enjoy it too, and make no apologies. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,806
|
A few of them are in it for the more bizarre reasons, like pairing the Turtles up with their brothers. Don't go to deviantart whatever you do, you don't want to see drawings of Leo kissing Raph or nonsense like that.
*shudders* |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
As soon as I saw you had posted I knew that laughs were imminent.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
|
Quote:
Yea... I'll have to live without a beefy Slash wallpaper. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,806
|
I also notice most female fans don't like April, and I'm talking any incarnation of her. 80's April, 4kids April, Nick April...I remember talking with them when those shows were airing.
Their opinion on April was always, "Eh" or "I don't like her much." Kinda odd since April is supposed to be aimed at female fans in every incarnation, yet female fans don't care for her. |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 | ||
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#16 | |
|
Team Blue Boy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
|
I dunno, it's kind of like answering that question for why I like anything else that I do. I just do? I agree it's probably for a lot of the same reasons. Without that human man/woman part in the way as a factor to relate to we're just free to see them for their varying personalities, how they live their lives together, and relate to them on those deeper levels.
Granted I'm probably not the best to be able to make comparisons since I was never really into any other 'superhero' stuff. It's just funny to me though that I relate a billion times more to a mutated male talking turtle than I ever would to any superhero woman with superpowers. These guys are just special like that. And no, I don't think because it's "kiddieish." I was a kid when I first got hooked on them, they were fun kid stuff back then. But my like of them is a different perspective and level of respect now. The Turtles themselves have continued to grow over the years as admirable characters worthy of more respect than they tend to get from the general public. Quote:
Deviantart is not a bad site, in fact there are a lot of awesomely talented people on there....you just have to avoid looking for stuff you don't want to see. Well then your view on that may be just as mistaken as the creator's. People who think "how do we attract female viewers - just stuck a woman into the mix" are not trying hard enough. Maybe I know enough real like women and have spent a lifetime as one that I don't really need a fictional one to try to relate to. I don't dislike her, but she's never been interesting to me and don't relate to her personality. Perhaps had there been more woman around all the time there might have been one I related to more. Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-16-2014 at 12:51 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#18 | ||
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
Quote:
Brief and 100% accurate. I like it |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#19 | |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,806
|
Quote:
Which is why I find it bizarre so many females don't care for her. And I'm talking about all the different versions of her, 80's, 4kids, Nick, Mirage, etc. I can understand not liking one version of April but to not like any of them? |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#20 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
I'd bet that women identify far more with the guys than April - see the personalities of the likes of IndigoErth and Warhorse, who feel that Leo and Raph respectively are kindred spirits. Two people being the same gender doesn't necessariy mean that they share anything in common. |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|