The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #3841
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior
 
ctt4lfecw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Neutrino
Posts: 817
Has Playmates given an update on when we'll be seeing Classic Collection Krang and Shredder?
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #3842
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
I feel that the problem is that while they are mining the more adult/nostalgia-minded portions of the franchise for characters and incarnations (Mirage, '87 toon, B&R before they show up in the new show), the figures themselves aren't made with adult collectors in mind. Or heck maybe not even kids? Kids do like articulation... actually I think they'd care more. An adult is likely to keep a figure in one position forever and leave it that way, but a kid wants them to do all the stuff they do in the show. I remember being frustrated by not being able to move characters' elbows and knees as a lad. But an adult is more likely concerned about the sculpting, which if you sell them five chunks of plastic snapped together with limited paint that only remotely resembles what's in the show, you're gonna have a bad time.

In my personal experience, though, kids seem to be the ones more interested in these figures, at least that I've seen in stores. I haven't seen an adult perusing TMNT for themselves since like 2007 but I constantly have seen kids looking through them and wanting their favorite Turtle or baddie.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #3843
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardosBane View Post
Playmates makes the figures primarily for kids, if collectors happen to like them (which they do, a lot), then bonus. The figures are already doing well with collectors, don't try to project your own dislike for them onto other people. If adult collectors didn't like them, they wouldn't buy them, but they do, and in droves. Not everyone has the same hang ups as you, they appreciate that Playmates is keeping the cost down so figures are easier to collect, and recognize that you're not going to get Revoltech quality for $9.
It's obvious that I am specifically talking about their "collector" figures, not the main line, which while flawed, is understood. I am not projecting anything, it is a fact that PMT's adult lines are an object of contention among the collector fanbase. You either love them or hate them, there aren't many fencewalkers.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #3844
Reputator
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I feel that the problem is that while they are mining the more adult/nostalgia-minded portions of the franchise for characters and incarnations (Mirage, '87 toon, B&R before they show up in the new show), the figures themselves aren't made with adult collectors in mind. Or heck maybe not even kids? Kids do like articulation... actually I think they'd care more. An adult is likely to keep a figure in one position forever and leave it that way, but a kid wants them to do all the stuff they do in the show. I remember being frustrated by not being able to move characters' elbows and knees as a lad. But an adult is more likely concerned about the sculpting, which if you sell them five chunks of plastic snapped together with limited paint that only remotely resembles what's in the show, you're gonna have a bad time.

In my personal experience, though, kids seem to be the ones more interested in these figures, at least that I've seen in stores. I haven't seen an adult perusing TMNT for themselves since like 2007 but I constantly have seen kids looking through them and wanting their favorite Turtle or baddie.
Now that I think about it, some of my favorite toys growing up were GI Joe, just because they were all super articulated and could perform almost any maneuver I wanted. I even had a stint playing with beanie babies, because stuffed animals = infinite articulation :p All the anthropomorphic beanies knew kung fu, naturally.
__________________
Reputator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #3845
DVD
Mad Scientist
 
DVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,066
Update on Bebop.
I decided to read the packaging last night. I noticed that the back of the darker Bebop figure had the lighter one as the figure in the list of available toys.
Also, I noticed on the base of the pack, a special feature ! Yes, Bebop has a special feature... A wall rolling feature.
He has a little wheel built into his back, and one in each ankle, so that he can be rolled down a wall. Maybe this is something he will do in the show.

And here is Rocksteady.
My first impressions were not exactly possitive...

DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #3846
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior
 
tmnt transformer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Okoto
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
Update on Bebop.
I decided to read the packaging last night. I noticed that the back of the darker Bebop figure had the lighter one as the figure in the list of available toys.
Also, I noticed on the base of the pack, a special feature ! Yes, Bebop has a special feature... A wall rolling feature.
He has a little wheel built into his back, and one in each ankle, so that he can be rolled down a wall. Maybe this is something he will do in the show.

And here is Rocksteady.
My first impressions were not exactly possitive...

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ce93a345dc.jpg
For some reason, he reminds me of gatekeeper rocksteady.....
__________________
Spoiler:


This Picture was drawn by BeagleTsuin from deviantart.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #3847
Reputator
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
Update on Bebop.
I decided to read the packaging last night. I noticed that the back of the darker Bebop figure had the lighter one as the figure in the list of available toys.
Also, I noticed on the base of the pack, a special feature ! Yes, Bebop has a special feature... A wall rolling feature.
He has a little wheel built into his back, and one in each ankle, so that he can be rolled down a wall. Maybe this is something he will do in the show.

And here is Rocksteady.
My first impressions were not exactly possitive...

Doesn't look remotely like the prototype. It's not even the same sculpt.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/20...scaled_800.jpg
__________________

Last edited by Reputator; 11-04-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Reputator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #3848
DVD
Mad Scientist
 
DVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,066
He does a bit.
I dug out my gatekeeper to compare.

DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #3849
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
Also, I noticed on the base of the pack, a special feature ! Yes, Bebop has a special feature... A wall rolling feature.
He has a little wheel built into his back, and one in each ankle, so that he can be rolled down a wall. Maybe this is something he will do in the show.
He already did as a human.

Wow. Almost completely different from the promotional images. Would you mind photographing the back?
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #3850
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ninja84 View Post
i have these pre-ordered on TRU's website but have no confirmation of shipping am i supposed to go to a store with a proof of purchase to get them? i paid like 32 bucks for them
Just bought my first figures off shelves in yearsssss. And yes, at TRU they are $14.99 so about $32 with tax. They only had Mike and Leo there. I hope they make the others as well. Either way, I'm happy!
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #3851
tmntpower2k14
Thug
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardosBane View Post
Playmates makes the figures primarily for kids, if collectors happen to like them (which they do, a lot), then bonus. The figures are already doing well with collectors, don't try to project your own dislike for them onto other people. If adult collectors didn't like them, they wouldn't buy them, but they do, and in droves. Not everyone has the same hang ups as you, they appreciate that Playmates is keeping the cost down so figures are easier to collect, and recognize that you're not going to get Revoltech quality for $9.
Co-sign all of this.
tmntpower2k14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #3852
BubbaShelby
Foot Soldier
 
BubbaShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reputator View Post
Doesn't look remotely like the prototype. It's not even the same sculpt.
Looks like the same sculpt to me, although the hands are different (to allow the ability to hold weapons, I presume). And of course articulation and paint has been limited.
BubbaShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #3853
BubbaShelby
Foot Soldier
 
BubbaShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 195
Also looks like this version of Rocksteady will be Russian, with that hammer and sickle!

BubbaShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #3854
Hakase
Foot Soldier
 
Hakase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 114
Is it me or does Rocksteady's eyes look really weird?
__________________
Hakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #3855
Lil Karai
Stone Warrior
 
Lil Karai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 891
If you look closely, it does look like the same sculpt. Unfortunately (and to no surprise) this non-prototype version doesn't have the 2 tone skin shading that brings out the skin texture. It also has bright white paint (instead of ivory) on 1 horn but not the other, no red paint on the center harness medallion, no gold paint on the back of his hands, poorly painted eyes, and less camo paint on the pants.
Lil Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #3856
Reputator
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaShelby View Post
Looks like the same sculpt to me, although the hands are different (to allow the ability to hold weapons, I presume). And of course articulation and paint has been limited.
Here's another shot:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/20...scaled_800.jpg

The torso looks like it may be less wide, and there's a stitching detail added between the legs. The legs are completely different, much longer than the proto. That's in addition to the hands being different, as you mentioned.
__________________
Reputator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #3857
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
Update on Bebop.
I decided to read the packaging last night. I noticed that the back of the darker Bebop figure had the lighter one as the figure in the list of available toys.
Also, I noticed on the base of the pack, a special feature ! Yes, Bebop has a special feature... A wall rolling feature.
He has a little wheel built into his back, and one in each ankle, so that he can be rolled down a wall. Maybe this is something he will do in the show.

And here is Rocksteady.
My first impressions were not exactly possitive...

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ce93a345dc.jpg
What the hell is that? I was thinking about getting Rocksteady, but now I don't know.

Can you post a backside pic of Bebop?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #3858
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist
 
Ninturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
Update on Bebop.
I decided to read the packaging last night. I noticed that the back of the darker Bebop figure had the lighter one as the figure in the list of available toys.
Also, I noticed on the base of the pack, a special feature ! Yes, Bebop has a special feature... A wall rolling feature.
He has a little wheel built into his back, and one in each ankle, so that he can be rolled down a wall. Maybe this is something he will do in the show.

And here is Rocksteady.
My first impressions were not exactly possitive...

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ce93a345dc.jpg
Do you have pics of Baxter fly ?
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #3859
BlueKatanas
Foot Soldier
 
BlueKatanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199
I don't think the sculpt is different, just a drastically different paint app. Check out the pics of the prototype on the announcement: http://sot.ag/g829.

One of the pics is flipped horizontally...both have one hand open one hand close from what I can tell. Also the prototype had the white pant color painted above the belt, the final has the green shirt color. Pretty sure it's the same sculpt..just an optical illusion with the very different paint.
__________________

My Collection Thread: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=49928
BlueKatanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #3860
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaShelby View Post
Also looks like this version of Rocksteady will be Russian, with that hammer and sickle!

http://www.world-war-2.info/_images/soviet_flag.gif
Of course. Do you watch the show?
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014 tmnt figures


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.