The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #121
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist
 
DarkLightDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,026
Animation was a bit stiff in action pieces, yes, but how everything looks in general (backgrounds, water, facial expressions, etc.) honestly blows Nick TMNT's animation out of the water for me.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #122
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I still can't hear the name of this show without this coming to mind:


I actually am looking forward to the show quite a bit. The game... eh, I'm skeptical. I expect to pick it up on Wii U eventually, just not sure when.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #123
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,027
So this felt a little forced, Eggman was funny I guess but he was always inteded to be comedic. When the jokes were centered around any of the other characters something felt off, maybe that their personalities were never intended to exist for straight up comedy?

Sonic and Tails come off as a bit dull, Knuckles too underused to judge and Amy seems like the writers can't decide wheter to keep her the same as before, or to reinvent her personality or even which direction to reinvent her. Sticks and that Beaver guy sort of worked, but they do need to mellow down on Sticks' potrayal and she really needed a design that matched the "crazy conspirasist" archetype. Hopefully they'll figure out the potrayals.

Spoiler:
And I've never seen a western cartoon be so heavy on rice balls, was it a demand from the Japanese copyright holders?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #124
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
Animation was a bit stiff in action pieces, yes, but how everything looks in general (backgrounds, water, facial expressions, etc.) honestly blows Nick TMNT's animation out of the water for me.
Pretty much. I also like the way the characters themselves look, as they're similar to in-game cutscenes.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #125
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior
 
TMNT_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Home, PA
Posts: 620
I liked it, thought the first episode was better than the second. The CGI is really good for a television series, I’ll probably continue to watch it.

Roger’s back with his thoughts on Sonic Boom so far:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Some {Sonic SatAM} episodes from season one are okay to watch, but season two is terrible. It tries to be too serious and falls flat as a result.
__________________
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #126
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Oh Antoine! He was such a great character. Loved him. Sally was by far the best character on that show, though.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #127
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I really hope infinite jump glitch Knuckles gets acknowledged in this show at some point. I don't know how you could work that in, but it is now the elephant in the room:


Ian Flynn will probably find a way to sneak a throwaway line of dialogue into a future comic at some point.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #128
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645


Knuckles is seriously the best character in Sonic Boom's universe. His power is maximum.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #129
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Got the game and watched the show. The cgi are amazingly beautiful and I love the jokes.
Feels like AoStH.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #130
Wesley
Mad Scientist
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
I liked it, thought the first episode was better than the second. The CGI is really good for a television series, I’ll probably continue to watch it.

Roger’s back with his thoughts on Sonic Boom so far:



The margarine scene was funny alright. I think satam was good when it didn't take itself too seriously. If there had been more scenes like that, the show would have been so much better.
__________________
Donatello: The tracker! It might work.
*Donatello goes to the back of the Turtle Van*
Raphael: Shrewd move, Donatello. If we ignore the problem, it might go away by itself. (from The Mean Machines)
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #131
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Managed to watch the first 2 episodes, Thought the show was good, but why are they so short? They are only 11 minutes long?
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #132
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #133
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
The game is getting all sorts of negative reviews, Nice to see the show being good, But that could work against it. I wonder which came first, the TV show or the game?
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #134
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist
 
DarkLightDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,026
I'm guessing TV show started out as the original idea, and then someone decided it needed a (or two in this case) tie-in game.

So even if the games don't do well overall (hell it's currently ranking lower than 06' in some reviews), it probably won't affect how well the show does. What should ultimately make it sink or soar are the ratings (for demographics they're obviously making it towards). And according to this article from 'TV By The Numbers' it seems to be off to a good start:

Quote:
Saturday morning programming (7-11 a.m.) earned year-over-year delivery gains across all targeted kids and boy demos, ranging from 20% to 46%. Sonic Boom (7 a.m.) and Pokémon the Series XY (8 a.m.) both ranked #1 in their respective time periods among kids 9-14 and boys 6-11/9-14. Both new episode premieres grew delivery of all targeted demos vs. the same time period last year, ranging from 52% to 132%.

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 11-14-2014 at 05:09 PM.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #135
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
I'm guessing TV show started out as the original idea, and then someone decided it needed a (or two in this case) tie-in game.

So even if the games don't do well overall (hell it's currently ranking lower than 06' in some reviews), it probably won't affect how well the show does. What should ultimately make it sink or soar are the ratings (for demographics they're obviously making it towards). But according to this article from 'TV By The Numbers' it seems to be off to a good start:
Its obvious that this new Sonic franchise is aimed directly to Kids, Which is why the negative reviews are coming from people who played the original games since the Genesis era.

I have Sonic Lost World on the Wii U, And I haven't gotten a chance to play it, And that game had positive reviews.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #136
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
I saw the first episode. I'm not into it, wasn't my thing.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #137
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
The humor of this show seems to be more in line with Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Which was the syndicated version which was more for comedic value, then the Saturday Morning version, Which was treated more serious.

So Sonic Boom seems like a show that doesn't take itself seriously, I mean, If you looked at the 2nd episode, They had Dr. Eggman sleeping in Sonic's House for a few days.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #138
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post

I have Sonic Lost World on the Wii U, And I haven't gotten a chance to play it, And that game had positive reviews.
I think Lost World on Wii U got negative to mixed reviews on the major sites. But personally, I love it. And the free DLC + software updates has added to the replay value tremendously.

I've never had high hopes for the Sonic Boom game, however, and it doesn't surprise me that it's not getting good reception either. The fact that Sega refused to send out review copies before release didn't help my hesitations over it.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #139
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The humor of this show seems to be more in line with Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Which was the syndicated version which was more for comedic value, then the Saturday Morning version, Which was treated more serious.

So Sonic Boom seems like a show that doesn't take itself seriously, I mean, If you looked at the 2nd episode, They had Dr. Eggman sleeping in Sonic's House for a few days.
Yeah, it's basically wacky hijinks with Sonic characters: the cartoon. With characters that actually appeared in the games, no less.

...Where was this show when I was 12
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:21 AM   #140
Sumac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,129
Quote:
Which is why the negative reviews are coming from people who played the original games since the Genesis era.
People blinded by nostalgia ruin fun. Again. Big surprise.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
peanut


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.