![]() |
|
|
#181 |
|
Second Gear
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#182 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,509
|
The thing is alot of of people take one or two flaws in a game and make that the whole reason why its bad. I cant think of another series with this burden more than Sonic. Luckly most of the fan base do not take the "professional" reviews seriously.
How is that even a thing? 1 guy giving his opinions on a game that he may or may not even be interested in to begin with. I've often wondered how that process works. Do they rush through games in order to have a review out by release? I'll admit I absolutely love Sonic and buy every game but I don't blindly defend every single one. Black Knight was ridiculously short and easy if you just played story mode. Unleashed was good but felt disappointed with certain parts and hated the quick-time-event portions. Heroes was OK. IMO constantly switching characters was annoying and took you out of flow. 2006 is the most criticized. It was ehhh to me. I really did not have problems with glitches. It was just generic to me and hated playing Silver. I beat it though. A lot of people have. My favorite 3D Sonics are Secret Rings (had so much fun. You have to get used to the control) and Lost World. It really felt like a classic platformer. The reviews say the control is broken but thats a bold face lie. Theres 3 speeds and the faster way is for those who want blazing Sonic and perfect scores. Colors and Generations were good but they felt lacking IMO. Especially Generations...they could have made a bigger overall game experience for his anniversary.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything. |
|
|
|
|
|
#183 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
Quote:
I'm not gonna lie, I pushed through and beat it and definitely had fun with it too at times, BUT I'm much more forgiving than most people who play games, and I honestly cannot fault anyone who had enough of that game after ten minutes and gave up on it. You shouldn't have to suffer through half a lousy game to make the rest of it halfway decent. And what's with all the 5-second long levels and challenges? There's way too many load screens and menus to sit through just to have your "level" end right after you start it, that's annoying. Not the worst Sonic game I ever played, but yeah, take away the license and there's no reason to play it at all. 2006 is probably always going to be the worst Sonic game, to me. My copy was so glitchy it was practically unplayable. "Have fun trying to run at full speed AND jump, buddy! Enjoy rocketing off into the stratosphere for no reason and dying just because the game's camera doesn't know where it's trying to look!" So many of the newer Sonics emphasize "GOSUPERFAST" to the point they ruin the controls, and that's one of the things I liked about Generations. It could have been longer and I wish the camera was zoomed in more, and there's other stuff I would have liked to be done better, but the controls were SO TIGHT compared to any of the recent Sonic games. Whenever I died, I actually felt like it was my fault. Usually in Sonic games, it's only because the Homing Attack decided not to work at all, or the camera swings around mid jump so pressing "forward" suddenly becomes "left" and I narrowly miss a tiny landing platform. There's little-to-no authentic "challenge" in most Sonic games anymore, just cheap death after cheap death. It never feels like a "learning curve" or anything, especially since you fight the same enemies in the end of the games as you do on the first level, it's just, "The jump button worked a minute ago, damn it!" And there's so many games that actually work that I can't fault anyone for getting fed up with Sonic games and all their Very Real problems by now. That's one of the things that ruined Unleashed for me. Playing Generations got me in the mood to go back and play some other Sonic games, and that was a bad idea, or at least starting with Unleashed was. The camera and jumping controls are SO BAD in that game, it's almost impossible to feel like you're even in control. Generations could have been a little better, but it felt like a "Best Of" from all the recent Sonic games, but without everything that makes them sh*tty, and that by itself was enough for me. I can get why people have issues with Adventure, but I played the first one so much and had so much fun with it (especially when it was new) that I'd be a huge hypocrite to even pretend otherwise. I don't like all of it, but I do like it on the whole. Second one I can take or leave. Last edited by Leo656; 11-16-2014 at 10:51 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#184 |
|
tactical blackquill
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
|
The Adventure games are bad, but I keep coming back to them [especially the second one] because despite their flaws... I just ****ing love them. Secret Rings was just a gimmicky piece of ****, though. I am not going to learn an entirely new game when there is no reward for doing so. I am not interested in the story, I am not interested in the genre, I am not interested in the theme. [Black Knight is the exact opposite. It is very relevant to my interests as far as story is concerned. Also, it's something you can actually play, instead of scream at.]
That said, the worst Sonic game is Sonic Labyrinth. Nothing makes me angrier.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#185 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,509
|
@leo656,
Secret Ring's starting control is not THAT bad. Its just really slow and its probably to get people used to it. You unlock other moves, some you dont even need, and speed because that's how its made. Its mission based. They didn't purposely break the game to have you build it. It is out of the norm for Sonic but its really separate from the main series. Its not even acknowledged in Generations. My problem with Generations is that its an anniversary game with only a couple levels from each generation. On its own its good and well put together but as an anniversary game it could have been a much more grand experience. There's so much they could have used from so many past sonic games and media. Unlocking art, music and yet another port of Sonic 1 is nothing compared to his overall history. ^ Sonic Labyrinth? Really were gonna complain about an obscure, generic game gear game?
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything. |
|
|
|
|
|
#186 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
|
The road not taken...
http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/17/72...edgehog-eggman
__________________
![]() Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries! Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"! View my sketch work! I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items! |
|
|
|
|
|
#187 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
So, once again, Change For Change's Sake turns out to be a horrible thing.
Thank Azathoth that someone came to their senses in time. |
|
|
|
|
|
#188 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,509
|
Oh I remember reading there were other designs that shocked somebody at a meeting or something. Gosh those aren't so bad. I pictured something terrible.
Eggman no way but some of the sonics are cute. They look more suited for Disney though.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything. |
|
|
|
|
|
#189 |
|
tactical blackquill
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
|
Always. That game is infuriating and headache-inducing and everyone forgets about it.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#190 | |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,509
|
Quote:
Its one the few games I actually do not have but have played a ROM of it...if I'm allowed to say that? Its very tedious but I didn't play very much. The first stage I think. About it. I had a game gear but it broke.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#191 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,117
|
There's a reviewer named SomeCallMeJohnny who's one of the truest Sonic fans ever. I recommend you check him out. Here's what he says about the games.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#192 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,026
|
For the record, I despise it when someone says they or someone else "a true fan." It reeks of elitism.
But SomeCallMeJohnny is alright. Gotta love how he dressed up for the occasion. |
|
|
|
|
|
#193 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,117
|
I'm sorry, "fairly modest" was the more correct term.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#194 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
|
I don't know much about Sonic games (since I've only played 3 and it was a long time ago)
but shouldn't Sonic games be all about racing? Since Sonic is all about speed? it just seems like....if you can gain all this speed you'd want to outrun someone to show how fast you are or something XD
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#195 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#196 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,509
|
That's the problem. A lot of people, like even long time gamers, think Sonic should be nothing but super fast gameplay.
That's why Unleashed's speed levels are made to be crazy fast. Which is fun but then everyone just complained about the werehog levels which is unfair. The originals were not about going as fast as possible. That was part of the appeal for seeing how fast you could zip through enemies and things but they were very much platformers first. So many parts were not even about running.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything. |
|
|
|
|
|
#197 |
|
tactical blackquill
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
|
That is true. I always laugh at people who criticise Sonic games that have slower platforming/puzzle segments, when it's been happening since Marble Zone.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#198 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,117
|
Sonic to me has always been about flow. How fast can you run and plow through platforming. Without the other, it just doesn't feel like a Sonic game. It doesn't matter if it's a spinoff or not, speed is the selling point of a Sonic game which makes them stand out from other platformers.
After this game though, I don't think Sega should be taking anymore risks with the franchise anytime soon and I'm scratching my head as to how they managed to let this game go through not knowing that it wasn't polished. While Sonic Team didn't make this game, you'd think Sega would have learned from 06 not to let a game get released like this. |
|
|
|
|
|
#199 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,026
|
Honestly, after hearing that this game apparently had some development hell and a lot of employees at BRB left the project around summer, it was probably doomed from the start.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#200 |
|
Mutant Tiger
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
|
The TV Show and the Game were made to appeal to a western audience, All of the previous Sonic games were made in Japan
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| peanut |
|
|