![]() |
|
|
#181 | |
|
Samhain
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#182 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#183 |
|
Samhain
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
|
Said he specifically joined the board to counteract all the negative posts on the movie, or some such nonsense.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#184 |
|
Space Knight
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
|
Hey, if you guys wanna debate origins and stuff, cool, but don't bring insults and crap into the mix.
Puke: Learn to debate better. I can see your pov in there, but you don't really elaborate on it well and end up reiterating the same thing, which becomes aggravating and lends credence to what Penny stated - arguing for the sake of it. Stop, comes across as pedantic. C42: Cure wasn't being sarcastic. Puke has admitting to enjoying a troll now and again. You've been around here long enough to know our personalities. If you have a beef, there's an ignore button for a reason. If you choose not to ignore someone you feel is snarking on ya, or don't ask in a collected manner thru PM whether or not they were, then grow a thicker skin, ignore the post and move on. You have a choice to move right past a post as much as you have one to click "quote" and type a response. Don't take the bait, in other words. Now, I'm leaving this on here and going back to bed, so knock of the personal crap and talk like civil folks. We made this subsection for a reason, don't muck it up. If you have beef with something I said, PM me, if not, goodnight. I'm out.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#185 |
|
Annalist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
|
Venom FTW.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
|
|
|
|
|
|
#186 | ||
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 'merica
Posts: 731
|
Quote:
Quote:
I'm only responding to your lies, however, your poor attempts at insults will be ignored, until you offer a comment of value. I have never even THOUGHT about trolling anyone, let alone claimed to troll. I said in a thread that had many posts deleted, the only reason I started posting here was because of the insane hypocrisy that was happening regarding the sexual nature of the movie. Seeing someone post how degrading to women the trailers were, and they're sexualizing April (who is completely clothed, and wearing a jacket most of the movie) And Mikey is molesting April, then turn around and slut shame Megan Fox, and the same person then posted about how hot she thought the Turtles were in some concept art thread. That was not trolling negative comments about the movie. I hadn't seen the movie, and I honestly didn't think it was going to be good at that point. Bry - PM me if you want to debate Batman, I'll gladly do that away from the TMNT discussion. Regarding the comment about Laird and the starving artists. They could have made money off TMNT without allowing it to be raped by a toy company for profit. The holier than thou attitude some have about this franchise (WHICH I LOVE BTW) is astonishing. The actual creators don't even hold it in such high regard. Commenter 42 - I sympathize with wanting an adult, and serious take on the Turtles, yes, but I disagree with the constant whining and complaining about what we got. The constant bullying of anyone who says they like it. It's really just lame. You said I had long winded arguments with people I agree with, and that's not true. Let me state this now. My argument is not the Mirage or '90s origin is any better or than the origin we were given in the '14 movie. I also don't think it's impossible to tell a TMNT story without the Yoshi/Saki past. My feeling is as long as their is conflict between Splinter and Shredder, the origin doesn't really matter unless it's really stupid, and far fetched, and I don't think '14's origin is stupid or far fetched. I think it's quick and simple. I also don't think the movies should be mostly about Splinter and his past, I think it should be all about the Turtles. If I had my dream movie I would kill Splinter, and have the revenge come from that. I shouldn't have said "who cares" obviously we all do or we wouldn't waste so much time on the subject. I think you're the one who likes Next Mutation, and that's fine, I think it's abysmal, and far worse than the '14 turtles. Here is why I end up responding to people here, it's because it's fascinating to me, that you would rather keep telling the same group of people how much you hate the movie than go to the sections on the board where you can talk about the things you like. Galactus - They ARE crime fighters, because they fight the Foot...who are committing crimes...they fight the Purple Dragons who are also committing crimes. Please anyone show me where the Turtles are like "We're gonna kick these guys asses for the hell of it, screw the citizens of NYC". They may not preach that they are fighting for the people of NYC, but they are. After the whole Splinter/Shredder thing, they are for sure fighting crime, and also saving the world from Aliens. (this makes them SUPERHEROES) Galactus if you want to discuss Batman please PM me, would love to talk to you about it. Galactus, regarding my "8 people on the message board" comment, I mean, yes there are a lot of people who saw it and thought, eh that was dumb, but there are not a lot of people willing to dedicate time to fight with other people who like it. I see the same small group of people making the same degrading comments about the movie over and over, there is not a major campaign to condemn the movie, it did great dvd and digital sales which means people want to rewatch it, and own it. The Razzies by the way, most of the time attack successful and popular movies. Shredder IS murderous, if you're willing to kill literally MILLIONS of people to gain power over a city, you.are.murderous. Nobody will convince me that a major movie studio purposefully makes things bad just for the hell of it. Making things for money is what everyone in Hollywood is doing it's weird that Bay and Co get's bulldozed for being that way. I don't like it, but at some point you just have to accept it's never going to change. pennydreadful - I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm not beating down any dissenting opinions with the use of caps, it's for emphasis, and to show my opinion of some of the "arguments" on this board about the '14 movie. Some of the complaints are really so nit picky and some people claim little things they didn't like were SO bad that it knocked them out of their seats rendering them unconscious and unable to follow the plot. Venom - I end up repeating because I am asked the same questions, or asked to elaborate on answers I've given. I hate being repetitive but I mean it's all here in text, and somehow I'm still put into the category of defending the movie, when all I'm really doing is defending the topic of the thread in most cases. For this thread however, I think we're certainly on topic since we're debating what needs to happen to improve the sequel. Also, one last time for everyone I am not trolling, and have never said I like to troll, and I don't plan on ever trolling.
__________________
Oh you don't like my opinion? ---->
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#187 | |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 'merica
Posts: 731
|
Here is something for anyone who thinks I can't look at both sides of this debate.
Quote:
__________________
Oh you don't like my opinion? ---->
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#188 | |
|
Samhain
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#189 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
Quote:
I honestly feel that we still haven't gotten a proper TMNT film. That's my beef in general. I'm not the only one on repeat either. I'm fascinated by the people that enjoyed it actually. I'd like to know what makes them tick. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#190 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
The only reason TMNT 2 might not suck, would be a change in directors, and hopefully a fresh start. Maybe Green will bring a change for the better. Hard to say.
Last edited by Jester; 01-12-2015 at 02:58 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#191 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
Wow, that was an ordeal.
Anyways. I think the people who made the movie really set themselves up for a fall by insisting they were making something "for the fans" and promising "everyone will love it." I mean, yes, you have to get people excited, but they'd have to have been completely out-of-touch to think that. Especially when they were saying that alllll the way back when they had every intention of Alien Turtles From Dimension X being the movie they were gonna make. Even THEN, they were insisting they were "keeping it real". Just like when guys at WB back in the 90s were insisting they were totally gonna make non-flying, black-rubber costume, no-cape "Superman" work as a movie, I knew for a fact these clowns had no clue. You only get to be THAT far out of touch by being willfully ignorant of the source material AND its fans. If they had just said flat-out, "Look, this is a lark, like 'Smurfs' or 'Alvin & the Chipmunks', nobody really cares about this stuff, they just remember it from being kids, and that's the audience we want," people might have eased up on them. I mean, fans would have still been pissed, but people who actually cared about those other properties hated those movies, too, yet they still made money and have their fans, enough to get sequels, anyway. They're still bad movies, all, BUT, at least they were open from the get-go about the movies only existing as fluff. |
|
|
|
|
|
#192 | |||
|
So Long, Stinktown!
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
|
Quote:
Quote:
Listen - the odds of any comic artist making decent money, especially on their own self-published property, are practically a million to one. I'm not gonna hold it against any comic artist who chooses to "sell out" if it means they get to be financially stable - especially if they personally stick to their original vision and keep working at it, which Eastman and Laird did for years (and ARE STILL DOING even though they sold the property). If someone in a profession that typically doesn't pay well at all gets the chance to become financially independent and stable, they deserve to take it without judgment as far as I'm concerned. And trying to morally equate that to an already-mega-rich Hollywood producer cashing in on one more brand name is bananas. Eastman and Laird both have enough money that they could walk away from the property outright and live comfortably for the rest of their lives. If they're still involved to some capacity, it's because they want to be. These are two guys who still have strong opinions about the style of Michelangelo's nunchucks, for chrissakes. You can't claim they don't care. Quote:
If they had just come out and said "we're doing a whole new take on the Ninja Turtles and are largely ignoring the source material", the fans would have known full well to just tune out and forget about it. But they wanted those dollars, they lied through their teeth to get them, and then had the damn gall to act surprised and even insult the fans when they inevitably weren't happy about it. Sorry - they don't get to do that and then be exempt from criticism. They earned every bit of it.
__________________
Last edited by Bry; 01-12-2015 at 08:03 AM. |
|||
|
|
|
|
|
#193 | |||||
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 'merica
Posts: 731
|
Ehh no you didn't, but I feel hypocritical if I continue to talk about Batman in thread about the TMNT sequel.
Quote:
![]() Quote:
It's a business either way and I don't understand why Bay is vilified for wanting to make money, but E&L or anyone else for that matter aren't. Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
__________________
Oh you don't like my opinion? ---->
|
|||||
|
|
|
|
|
#194 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
I'm pretty sure nobody thinks Kevin Eastman is an "Eagle Scout". His track record as both a liar and a hypocrite is well-established and well-documented, and goes well beyond just TMNT into his other business ventures.
I'm also pretty sure most people are well aware just how complicit he is in the Platinum Dunes Cash Grab fiasco. It was His Name and His Word that made many people want to give this movie the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully those people learned a lesson, a lesson *I* was trying to teach for the longest time about how the guy generally doesn't care and isn't to be trusted, but hey, what do I know? I only cite precedent. How bizarre it is to think that The Way Someone Has Always Behaved is also The Way They Will Behave Next Time, And The Time After That. Clearly that approach is full of holes. Uh huh. |
|
|
|
|
|
#195 | ||||
|
So Long, Stinktown!
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
|
Quote:
Quote:
I don't necessarily think Eastman and Laird both hold it to an equally high standard, mind you. I respect them both as creators and for what they managed to do, and I did talk about them "together," but I think history has proven one has stricter ideas about what works than the other. Laird's the guy who re-drew Michelangelo's nunchucks in those Eastman collaborations recently because they didn't look "right". That's megafan-level obsessive attention to detail. Quote:
Quote:
But no, I'm not saying either is beyond reproach - just that they were poor comic artists who I feel were perfectly entitled to cash in when they had the chance (which is incredibly rare in indie comics), and I will never hold that against them the way I'll hold this kind of shameless, insultingly-bad cash grab against a mega-rich producer who could easily do better if he bothered to care even one iota.
__________________
|
||||
|
|
|
|
|
#196 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
Yeah man. Contrary to popular belief you can totally "Sell Out' while still retaining some integrity and/or principles. Although, I'd argue that Eastman, by evidence, NEVER really gave a sh*t beyond a check, even in the beginning. I could be wrong but that's how it comes off.
I'm grateful to both Kevin and Peter for creating something I enjoy but I don't in turn deify them as some do. I have a strong feeling that I'd have little to talk about with either of them, were we acquainted. I'd probably enjoy Kevin as a "bar buddy" but that's as far as it goes for either of them. They really don't seem like "my kind of people." |
|
|
|
|
|
#197 | ||
|
trash
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
|
Once more unto the breach, dear friends...
Puke, I appreciate that you like the movie. That's fine. I'm not faulting anyone who likes it. But it's unfair to suggest that because you liked the movie, nobody else should have a problem with it. Now, keeping in mind that this is just a movie - let's see if we can have a calm discussion regarding a point you raised yesterday. Quote:
Citation: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/b.../plothole.html Yourdictionary.com defines a plothole as "A gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot." I mention this only to avoid an argument about what errors in the movie constitute a plothole or inconsistency. So - onto a few plotholes/inconsistencies in the movie, just off the top of my head: - Shredder is The Bad Guy but doesn't kill Splinter or Raph. - Shredder and Sachs are after the mutagen that's in Splinter and the Turtles, but they don't capture Splinter or Raph, despite the fact that Splinter and Raph are both full of valuable mutagen-blood. - Raph's shell is cracked, preventing him from going to help Leo during the truck/snow scene. Then five seconds later he's slamming into a humvee with his shell, thanks to the miracle of duct tape. - The Turtles are bulletproof but are vulnerable to tranquilizer darts when the plot demands. While one could argue that the bullets were hitting them in the shell/plastron and the tranq darts were hitting them in arms/legs, the argument then becomes: if the Foot are able to hit them in the arm/leg with a tranq gun, why not with an assault rifle? - April gets fired from her job as a reporter because nobody believes her story about the Turtles... yet the whole time she has photos of them on her phone. And as this took place at a time in the story when she had not befriended the Turtles yet, it made no sense for her to not show her boss the proof that the Turtles existed. - Inconsistencies with the Turtles' strength. One minute they're superhumanly strong enough to send a metal shipping crates flying. The next they have trouble lifting a gate. Another minute one can jump literally jump through the metal roof of a van, but 30 seconds later he can't punch through a slab of glass. Another minute they can obliterate a Humvee by jumping at it, but can't even budge a guy in a metal suit of armor... because reasons. If you really want to go more in-depth, there are a few sites that discuss other errors in the film in more detail: http://movieplotholes.com/teenage-mu...a-turtles.html http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291150/goofs http://100thingsilearned.com/view/1749/ Now again - if those things don't bother you, that's fine. But saying that there were no plot holes or inconsistencies simply isn't true. Quote:
__________________
![]() Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions). |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#198 |
|
Team Blue Boy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
|
EDITORIAL: A Commentary on Criticism
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=113356 |
|
|
|
|
|
#199 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
Excellent article. Should be a sticky here.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#200 | |
|
Samhain
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| tmnt 2 |
|
|