The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #5981
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
This is why we need separate threads: "Gripes & Complaints" for minor beefs and "My World Is Falling Apart" for when people need some serious encouragement and support.

I hardly ever check this thread because it's always "the room is too cold and I don't have a jacket" or "my sister spilled nail polish on my favorite shirt" crap and the real grinds--the S hits the F level stuff--goes unnoticed by some of us.

Or start separate threads.

Netkeeper, my advice (which is worth the price of free pretzel samples at the mall) is this:

#1. Distract yourself if you can when the depression or anxiety hits. Watch your favorite movie or show, read a favorite book, treat yourself to some cocoa or coffee. Pamper yo'self.

#2. When you're feeling better and your head isn't spinning, look into finding an alternate line of communication. I checked Google Hangouts and I don't see a live support option like PC suggested. Figure out your escape route BEFORE you need it.

#3. Show your therapist this thread. You feel differently when you're out of the anxiety, but you need her to KNOW what you felt THEN. Let her read through this.

If you want further advice or just want to tell me why my suggestions are crap, let's PM and take it to email if need be.

Hang in there, bro.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #5982
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
i posted in the DF too. i think i did that first, but i can't remember. usually i pick there instead of on the boards.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #5983
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
i posted in the DF too. i think i did that first, but i can't remember. usually i pick there instead of on the boards.
Sorry, man... it's so dead there, I check maybe once a week if there's not an active conversation.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #5984
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
probably because i spent a long while not even being able to post anything there. i kept convincing myself it was pointless to post anywhere.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:50 AM   #5985
Katie
Just...way too serious.
 
Katie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: purgatory
Posts: 3,519
Going into a petstore and seeing the sad, dying siamese fighting fish in their cold, dirty cups. I want to buy all of them and give them nice warm clean aquariums with plants and good food...but they will just be replaced by more sad sick cold dying siamese fighting fish.

I get so much peace, happiness, and stress relief taking care of the ones I do have...I just feel awful for the ones I can't save.

This is why I can't volunteer at animal shelters either. I'd need to buy a farm to house all the dogs I couldn't leave behind.

__________________
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #5986
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Get involved with a rescue group and foster? I did that with cats for about two and a half years before I had to stop, so I could go to school in Waco.


I've been having terrible trouble falling asleep at night, no matter what time I try. This ultimately cuts me close to being late for my 8 AM classes...or actually being late. And yet if I decide to take a nap during the day because of how tired I am, I fall asleep just fine. And I'm not quite sure what is making the difference.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #5987
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
This is why I can't volunteer at animal shelters either. I'd need to buy a farm to house all the dogs I couldn't leave behind.

This is me exactly. I feel this.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #5988
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Going into a petstore and seeing the sad, dying siamese fighting fish in their cold, dirty cups. I want to buy all of them and give them nice warm clean aquariums with plants and good food...but they will just be replaced by more sad sick cold dying siamese fighting fish.

I get so much peace, happiness, and stress relief taking care of the ones I do have...I just feel awful for the ones I can't save.

This is why I can't volunteer at animal shelters either. I'd need to buy a farm to house all the dogs I couldn't leave behind.

That's why places like Walmart makes me sad since they don't care for them as well as they should. Fish are treated too much like easily replaced decorations and not enough like pets, and I see them and tend to quietly say I'm sorry to them that I can't just take them all home. These tiny little things, they're just babies still and too many doomed to die in the store or end up in some fishbowl they won't live too much longer in either. A cheap price put on a tiny life that won't get to last long.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #5989
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
And you're exactly right with the reasoning, too. They think of them more as pieces to their decoration [the decoration being the aquarium or whatnot they tend to live in, usually] than animals to care for.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #5990
Katie
Just...way too serious.
 
Katie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: purgatory
Posts: 3,519
Thank God my Wal-Marts don't sell fish. I try REALLY hard not to look at them but if I do, I always end up taking someone home. I have an especially soft spot for the girs as no one ever buys them.

I have 13 fighting fish. All with nice happy warm tanks. And a 55 gallon community. And a herd of red cherry shrimp. Fish are good stress relief I find. For me at least.
__________________
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #5991
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Yeah, they are. And, depending on species maybe, some can be just as happy to see you as any pup. Not a big dog person, so it's nice to have a similar joy toward your presence, but contained within a tank rather than bounding all over the house. Heck... while she hasn't done it for quite a while, my oranda even used to turn in a circle the way some excited dogs might. Sometimes try to rest her face in my hand when I'm cleaning the tank and otherwise seek out interaction. (Seriously, you're a fish? lol) Orandas are definitely water puppies.



Grind... Made sure to get that coupon in my purse and then... forgot to use it. >.>

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-12-2016 at 08:20 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #5992
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist
 
thundermaster612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ninjago City
Posts: 1,214
What sort of a fish is Fishface?
__________________
thundermaster612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #5993
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Keep it relevant, Mewtwo.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #5994
Papenbrook
I'm leaving. Goodbye. :)
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,754
People are distorting the feminist movement.

Feminists believe in gender equality, not female supremacy.

I don't understand why people can't fathom that.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #5995
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Because there are "feminists" themselves who are doing that. Don't target the general population that doesn't understand. Target the people within the movement that doesn't understand. It's not coming from outside. It's coming from within.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #5996
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Because there are "feminists" themselves who are doing that. Don't target the general population that doesn't understand. Target the people within the movement that doesn't understand. It's not coming from outside. It's coming from within.
As someone working within the movement, and as an ex-misogynist myself, I'd say it's a combination of both.

Whether its intention or not, there is a vocal minority within the movement that is seeking a level of supremacy. There are Trans-exclusionary Radical Feminists, who don't view trans*women as being...well women. Then there's the public face of Feminism which has a nasty habit of excluding the voices of anyone that isn't white and well off financially. There's overall Western Feminism which gives more credence to their own agendas, which has a long history of being overly paternal with women from other parts of the world.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #5997
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist
 
thundermaster612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ninjago City
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Keep it relevant, Mewtwo.
I am not Mewtwo, chili sauce
__________________
thundermaster612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #5998
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Thank God my Wal-Marts don't sell fish. I try REALLY hard not to look at them but if I do, I always end up taking someone home. I have an especially soft spot for the girs as no one ever buys them.

I have 13 fighting fish. All with nice happy warm tanks. And a 55 gallon community. And a herd of red cherry shrimp. Fish are good stress relief I find. For me at least.

Wow. That sounds like me back in high school. I had over a dozen myself, both males and females. Of course, I was trying to breed them, and my local pets stores were very good about keeping their containers clean and the fish were all quite healthy. Had to give it up when I moved away from home because of lack of space for it. But I would love to have room to start raising them again.


My grind is that I was without net for two days- and this was on my days off from work after a really hard and frustrating week of going bonkers because of an inspection coming up during the week- we had it on Wednesday, though I don't see why it was such a big deal to begin with, as it was just one lady standing around in various parts of the store talking to the owners' area manager, and then they stood outside to time the drive-through for a while, and that was it. And they didn't even start when they said they would, so it kept everyone on eggshells ALL DAY, without any breaks, and we were understaffed to boot. Basically, that entire day was a big pile of suck. And then we had a power outage during the last big storm Thursday night, and my computer decided it couldn't connect to my phone to tether my net on my days off! And just when I really NEEDED it, too- because my hubby's phone has completely conked out and I needed to order him a new one. had to do it using my phone, and I HATE ordering on Amazon from my phone, as it's more of a pain with the small screen and keypad.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #5999
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
My f**king fence fell down. I have a dog, so this is a big problem, & one that nobody living here can afford to fix. The universe rails against us once again. Can't even do sh*t about it in the now because of severe weather. Good lord.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #6000
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Sucks, homie. I feel ya about the dog thing. I get mad paranoid about my cats escaping, too.

Not that you're mad paranoid, that's not what I mean.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.