The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #721
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i tip my hat to both of you fine Gentlemen!

i too help support the IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics by buying every single Issue to come out as well as in digital. (and any variant cover that isn't ridiculously overpriced)
then i buy the subsequent releases in both Trade Paperback as well as Hardcover collections.

unfortunately there are those out there that claim to love the series yet will not help support it even by purchasing the issues, nor paperback, nor hardcovers, not even Comixology.
yet they are overly vocal about wanting the series to continue on.

(COUGHCOUGHchosenoneCOUGHCOUGH)

i don't know.... maybe it's just me? but i do find that pretty annoying.
especially when they go into the editor's thread talking about what they'd like to see in the series. or how they'd love it if the Mutanimals would get their own standalone comic.

might as well go to a restaurant, order up an elaborate meal, then tell them you aren't going to pay for it.
Yeah this guys has an ego to go in there an do that while openly admitting to not supporting the series.

But I think the point is we need you two to keep inflating these sales figures so the series can live on

I currently only by the issues monthly from my LCS, but will eventually get the giant hardcovers/Omnibus for reading purposes
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #722
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
you’re welcome, i’m probably just as overboard.
the Hardcovers really are nice and the larger size lets you enjoy the art more. the only downside the them is that they do not contain all of the variant covers like the trade paperbacks do. so i collect the TPB as well.
no, unfortunately comixology does not follow the chronological reading order of ongoing/mini-series/etc…
what i do is keep a word document of the reading order handy, and manually open and read each issue in sequence. i used to like to read the physical comic first and then read it a second time in digital. but the ‘guided view’ on comixology has spoiled me.
yeah, thankfully there are those of us that actually support the series.

oh! i really hope they never renumber the series!
the way this series is very held to continuity, all renumbering it would do is confuse and drive away new readers.
imagine telling someone how we see Hamato Yoshi’s origin with the foot clan in issue #5, they go and up the renumbered comic. they'd be completely lost.
best thing they can do to attract new readers is stunts like the Batman cross-over. maybe even the Injustice cameo?
You know, I think that the free sampler they give out every year or so is a great primer for new people to jump into, but my LCS and apparently many to most LCS's did not know about TMNT or why it was a thing. I am glad we are doing stuff like TMNT/Ghostbusters and Batman and Injustice and I am sure once IDW gets their feet on the ground with Sonic he will end up meeting the turtles as well.

As for universe, forgive me if I already said my piece on it but I think that with all the characters running around in TMNT we could have never managed with just one monthly book. The micros were ok but I think it's better to have a solid numbering system so universe has that going for it but I think the problems it has kind of has to do with how it manages the order of content. If the main line of comics is doing 4-5 issue story arcs then I think universe should try and keep to 1-2 issue stories, 3 at the most. I know you got to write for the trade but we can't ever have another 4 issue April & Casey again, even people like me who put a large amount of their spending money into this series are struggling to deal with that. I'm not the editor I don't know all the numbers but there's got to be a balance. The next Universe story looks great and i think people are going to like it because it has the turtles staring in it but we still have a lot of other characters that need time. I guess the best way to handle it was like back in 34-36 where we had 1/2 turtles with a few side characters. That's how Universe should work.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #723
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
You know, I think that the free sampler they give out every year or so is a great primer for new people to jump into, but my LCS and apparently many to most LCS's did not know about TMNT or why it was a thing. I am glad we are doing stuff like TMNT/Ghostbusters and Batman and Injustice and I am sure once IDW gets their feet on the ground with Sonic he will end up meeting the turtles as well.

As for universe, forgive me if I already said my piece on it but I think that with all the characters running around in TMNT we could have never managed with just one monthly book. The micros were ok but I think it's better to have a solid numbering system so universe has that going for it but I think the problems it has kind of has to do with how it manages the order of content. If the main line of comics is doing 4-5 issue story arcs then I think universe should try and keep to 1-2 issue stories, 3 at the most. I know you got to write for the trade but we can't ever have another 4 issue April & Casey again, even people like me who put a large amount of their spending money into this series are struggling to deal with that. I'm not the editor I don't know all the numbers but there's got to be a balance. The next Universe story looks great and i think people are going to like it because it has the turtles staring in it but we still have a lot of other characters that need time. I guess the best way to handle it was like back in 34-36 where we had 1/2 turtles with a few side characters. That's how Universe should work.
yeah i wish that the Free sampler had better distribution. my LCS didn’t even get it.
i believe IDW has given away free copies of issue #1 in the past, as well as selling the greatest hits copy of it for $1.
that’s always a good way to hook new readers.

i agree about the necessity of Tmnt Universe. and as much as i love having the back-up stories (most of the time)
there are times i’d rather the back-up occasionally be sacrificed, unless there is a story that really needs to be told like ‘Inside Out’ or ‘what is ninja?’
i also do like the flexibility of being able to see 2 to 3 or even 4 issue supporting arcs in Universe. yeah Casey & April was definitely a story that could have been told in a single issue i think. i almost feel like Tmnt Universe #11 felt like another filler story that didn’t really do much for the series overall. i’m actually really happy the Turtles will be more of focus in the upcoming Universe arc.
i love the series. but i just wish the Turtles were more front and center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
But I think the point is we need you two to keep inflating these sales figures so the series can live on

I currently only by the issues monthly from my LCS, but will eventually get the giant hardcovers/Omnibus for reading purposes
just doing my part citizen.

how you just get the single issues from your LCS, that's the best way to do it.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #724
CyberCubed
Overlord

November sales weren't posted here, so:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-11.html

TMNT Ongoing #76 12,258
TMNT Ghostbusters II all sold between the 10,000-12,000 range
TMNT Universe 16 8,044

No December sales yet of course.

Universe only sold 8,000 copies this month, might be the lowest a IDW TMNT comic ever sold unless I'm forgetting something.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #725
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Universe only sold 8,000 copies this month, might be the lowest a IDW TMNT comic ever sold unless I'm forgetting something.
Does your post #598 count? The September sales page 30.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #726
CyberCubed
Overlord

Oh yeah, I wasn't counting the Nick Adventures comic, just the main IDW TMNT series and its spinoffs.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #727
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
November sales weren't posted here, so:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-11.html

TMNT Ongoing #76 12,258
TMNT Ghostbusters II all sold between the 10,000-12,000 range
TMNT Universe 16 8,044

No December sales yet of course.

Been a while since I was checking this board or sales numbers. Life gets in the way.

But doing a quick Find by IDW, it looks like the main TMNT book is their third best-selling overall; the second-best ongoing below Star Wars Adventurers (the Ghostbusters crossover #1 beat the ongoing by about 500). TMNU is #12 for IDW overall, but if you don't count the TMNT/GB crossover, it comes in #7 for IDW's ongoings by my count. (I'm assuming Star Trek Discovery and Sword of Ages are ongoings? They're both at #1 this month, which explains why they sold so well.)

Far as I can tell, the TMNT secondary book beat the My Little Pony and Transformer secondary books. If you look at where TMNTU stands in IDW's rankings, it's doing fairly well, at least by this list. And the TMNT ongoing continues to be one of IDW's top performers month to month.

...How did I miss that IDW publishes Star Wars Adventures? I've been buying those for my nieces. No surprise to see that one selling gangbusters.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #728
CyberCubed
Overlord

December sales are in!

Batman TMNT 2 #1: 50,213

Batman TMNT 2 #2: 41,791

TMNT #77: 11,270

TMNT Universe #17: 7,869

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-12.html

Now we know why there's a second Batman/TMNT crossover, sales are through the roof.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, TMNT Universe sales are sinking faster than the Titanic in 1912.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #729
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
December sales are in!

Batman TMNT 2 #1: 50,213

Batman TMNT 2 #2: 41,791

TMNT #77: 11,270

TMNT Universe #17: 7,869

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-12.html

Now we know why there's a second Batman/TMNT crossover, sales are through the roof.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, TMNT Universe sales are sinking faster than the Titanic in 1912.
Did you happen to see the sales from the first series? They were about the same as well. Unfortunately TMNT Universe is going to belly up I think. #18 WILL SELL LESS THAN 5000 I bet. But we also have to remember these numbers do not include digital sales as well So TMNT universe might be safe still.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #730
CyberCubed
Overlord

I expect Universe to continue through all of 2018, so we should get another 12 issues. I don't know about 2019 though, unless sales stabilize.

I guess if sales dip to 5,000 or less monthly, it's probably a sign they'll either re-tool it or replace it with separate mini's/specials like they used to. Or more 5 issue a month specials like Dimension X or Bebop/Rocksteady.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #731
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

The ongoing seems to have dropped a large amount this time. IDK Could be because of the bat crossover? Ongoing is about at the same number Universe was at only ten issues ago.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #732
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My guess is that the Batman crossover sales are "normies" that just enjoy the bada$$ery of that concept. Those who don't know that IDW is doing its own line and just say "Yeah, I'll take that crossover". Which isn't bad, but hey...they should stick around.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #733
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

The ongoing dropped by almost 1000, that seems like a lot of folks jumping ship.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #734
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

That's what happens I guess when the TMNT become background characters in their own comic.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #735
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Or maybe the digital versions should start getting counted.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #736
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is there any place that tracks digital sales? I really wonder why it isn't made public.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #737
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
That's what happens I guess when the TMNT become background characters in their own comic.
It’s not new so much. I recently read #14 from vol 1 and it was kind of like that. It must be easy for writers to fall into that type of deal of having other characters front and center.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #738
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
The ongoing dropped by almost 1000, that seems like a lot of folks jumping ship.
No I doubt that. There is a drop in sales during the holidays from my understanding. I remember this happening last year and the sales did pick back up.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #739
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
No I doubt that. There is a drop in sales during the holidays from my understanding. I remember this happening last year and the sales did pick back up.
That’s good news.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #740
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That actually makes a lot of sense...though you'd think they would go up during the holidays. But then again, who in these days wants 20 page comic issues for Christmas?

(Well...I mean I do...if they're the original issues of Bone...)

Tags
comic discussion