![]() |
|
|
#1061 | ||
|
Annalist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
|
Quote:
As for Jared Leto, was it really Leto's fault for being terrible or Ayer's fault for writing him that way? With the "Damaged" tattoo and crap like that? Leto was weird as balls off screen, but that's not relevant to whether or not he played a good Joker. Quote:
And as for Zoe Kravitz and Jeffrey Wright, and the racebending... I'm not in favor of this, but I don't think the blame can be solely laid at Matt Reeves' feet. The (unfortunately) highly successful Lego movie already portrayed those two characters as black, and there was a black Catwoman way back in the Adam West show, and this makes it an easy way for Reeves to further distance this film from previous entries. Do I like it? No, not really. I want my characters to look like they did in the comics. But I'm not going to boycott the film because some secondary characters don't look like I want. If that's what you want to do, you do you. Hopefully you'll miss out on a great movie. ... But given the overall direction of Warner Brothers' DC adaptations on screens big and small, well... I'm probably being far too optimistic about this.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#1062 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
Quote:
Heath and Ben had supporters, sure. There will always be exceptions. But speaking on the general blowback and consensus. I also supported Ben Affleck, but we were in the minority. I don't think people are acting like Robert Pattinson is the destined Batman actor or anything. I think people are excited for him based on good work he has done, which is perfectly fair. As for the film, being garbage, idk what I'd predict, myself, at this point. I'm pretty cautiously optimistic. I'm liking most of the casting coming in, and the comments made by Reeves, but I'm slow to warm up to the rumours of this involving the "Bat-family". That's a harder sell for me, if true. Other then that, we just know so little at this point. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1063 |
|
Weed Whacker
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
|
Staying way out of this. But I leave this, jovially:
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1064 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
Here’s a quote from director, Matt Reeves. It’s from a while back, but since things are ramping up, and Robert Pattinson has been commenting on the character, I thought some may find it interesting.
Quote:
https://collider.com/the-batman-land...ael-giacchino/ Michael Giacchino to score the film. I haven’t loved his Spider-Man work, at least in comparison to Elfman’s, but I haven’t really listened to his Planet of the Apes score yet, so maybe I’ll check that out. Last edited by AquaParade; 10-19-2019 at 12:02 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1065 |
|
Hellblazer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,163
|
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1066 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,375
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1067 | |
|
Annalist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
|
Quote:
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1068 |
|
Weed Whacker
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
|
Eh, I can think of 10 better Alfreds than him... but also far worse ones.
Also... Collin Farrell for Penguin: http://www.darkhorizons.com/colin-fa...qFTn1B6qsVERnw
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1069 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 859
|
Quote:
Wait, are we getting a motion capture cg Alfred? |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1070 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
With any character, it really depends on how they are going to depict them, but Andy Serkis as Alfred sort of turns me off. I am definitely willing to give him a chance though.
That Penguin casting would work for me. I can see it. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1071 |
|
Annalist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
|
I'm really starting to dislike Matt Reeves' choices.
I was down for Pattison as Batman, but since then, I'm starting to lose faith in his casting. WTF, how fvcking hard is it to pick actors and actresses who bear even a passing resemblance to the characters? Black Gordon, okay... not what I'd prefer, but I get it. But tall handsome Penguin? Ulysses Klaw for Afred? Zoe for Catwoman, when you could have picked ANA DE ARMAS!? I hate to trot out the familiar idea of "I've seen much better fan casting than this garbage", but goshamity, I've seen (and thought) much better fan casting than this. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in a year or five when the movie happens. I certainly hope so. Can't be worse than Zack Snyder's choices for Flash and Lex, right?
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1072 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
Quote:
Overall, I think the casting for this film is looking pretty dang good, personally. As for Zach, I actually think he had great casting instinct as well, even up to Idris Elba, who I thought was a fantastic choice for The Flash. Not sure what was going on with that Luthor casting though - big swing and a miss. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1073 | |
|
Annalist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
|
Quote:
Colin is a great actor, and I like him in stuff, but how hard is it to pick somebody fat and lovable, giving them a chance to break out of type-casting? That's why I was so excited for Jonah Hill. And while I'm willing to go along with some roles diverging pretty widely from their traditional appearances (Michael Caine, for instance, looks nothing like Alfred in the comics or cartoons), it really feels like Reeves is trying to cast almost every damn character against previous portrayals. As better fans than I have said, can we just let the role look like the fvcking characters we know and love? Oh, and Idris Elba ain't the Flash, bro. It's... dammit, still drawing a blank on the guy. Ezra Miller? Yeah, that guy. Ugh.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1074 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
Quote:
Yeah, I can understand that. I guess I just don't put much weight in characters needing to look like their comic book counterparts all that much. The idea of going against the norm is appealing to me. I love these characters to death. So much that I've digested ungodly amounts of their stories. I love a good mix-up. I mean, even I have my boundaries for how far a character can or should be stretched, but I guess I tend to be pretty liberal in that sense. I tend to come at it from a perspective of wanting to let the creator have liberties and be able to tell their own type of story, even if that means occasionally bending the rules of the icon a bit. I am a strong believer that the pure power of creativity is what gave us these characters in the first place, and it is better to pay testament to that idea, than to a rigid archetype, and thus saddle creative minds down with too many rules. People tend to want everything to be faithful to the material, but if Batman had stayed faithful to his own source material - the Bob Kane and Bill Finger work - we'd be missing out on some of his very best stories. Last edited by AquaParade; 11-05-2019 at 07:31 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1075 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
Latest rumors have Matthew McConaughey up for Harvey Dent and I can't even pretend to give a sh*t about this anymore.
F*ck calling it "The Batman"; that implies that it's some iconic and familiar take. This should be called "Stunt Casting: The Movie", subtitled "Look How Out-RAGEOUS Our Choices Are!" I'm presently of the opinion that Matt Reeves has never even read a comic book and was given carte blanche by WB sight-unseen because of the Apes movies. Not a damn thing else makes sense. I was reading "Batman: Venom" last night and thinking about how hard Affleck would have crushed that story in live action. We really got screwed on this deal. I haven't been less interested in Batman since Clooney. They're not being "creative", they're being f*cking clickbaity. "Look! NONE of these iconic characters look anything like you're expecting! Do we have your attention yet?!" It's so transparently desperate that it's f*cking annoying. One or two people being against type might be a coincidence but they're clearly just fishing for "any attention is good attention" at this point. Last edited by Leo656; 11-06-2019 at 12:42 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1076 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
Regarding Reeves attempting to surprise people by casting actors that don’t look like their characters:
Paul Dano - Totally looks like the Riddler. Debunked. Colin Farrell - Not who you’d think of, physically, for the Penguin. But wait, they tried to cast Jonah Hill - a physical match for Penguin - whoops! Debunked Robert Pattinson - Looks like Bruce Wayne just fine. If someone complains that is hair isn’t black and he doesn’t have a strong jaw , ignore this person. Debunked. Gordon and Catwoman - oh no, they aren’t white. Personally I’m more concerned with the fact that the leads are award winning actors. Are they forcing racial diversity? Yeah, probably a bit. Are they also looking to cast fantastic actors who will do a great job in the role? Yeah. It’s not Matt Reeves trying to troll his audience with shocking casting. To imagine Matt Reeves going for clickbait actors as opposed to talented people who will help bring his vision - which will be seen more than any film he has ever made - to life, is a crazy accusation. He wants this film to be good even more than we do. Just sayin. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1077 |
|
Weed Whacker
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
|
They better least give Wright a wig. Gordon's not bald.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1078 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
|
Gary Oldman was such a great Gordon. It will be hard to top that for me.
“We got you, ya son of a bitch.” Badass moment. A lot of people say we’ve already seen “Year One” adapted in Batman Begins, and I agree, but there is still some good Gordon material to be mined there, if someone is ever so inclined. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1079 | |
|
The King of Kings
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,931
|
Quote:
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1080 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,117
|
The Bob Kane and Bill Finger work was all the way til the 70s, right? Now that you mentioned it, people seem to talk about Batman comics from the 70s to present but never talk about the earlier stuff (other then Batman killing) to the 60s.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| batman, diversity comics, the cucked crusader |
|
|