The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 PM   #1221
NoPressApril
Hench Mutant

I have a question. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Rocksteady and Bebop were going to be rereleased with the old proper logo on the box. Anyone know anything about that?
NoPressApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:33 AM   #1222
Trailbreaker77
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
What, are you a NECA shill or something?

We've just spent two pages here not only discussing that awful figure, but almost quantifiable and absolutely comparatively demonstrating how bad it is.
Well just because some members have issues with it doesn't mean that everyone has to hate it. Everyone has different tastes.
Trailbreaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #1223
Creedog
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbreaker77 View Post
Well just because some members have issues with it doesn't mean that everyone has to hate it. Everyone has different tastes.
I’m personally head over heels with everything NECA is doing with toon turtles. I love April (yes, that exact April), Casey, slash, leatherhead, Splinter, Baxter, Triceratron, and Krang Android Body. Amazing toys, and I’m willing to drive for hours to get them.
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #1224
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPressApril View Post
I have a question. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Rocksteady and Bebop were going to be rereleased with the old proper logo on the box. Anyone know anything about that?
That's the rumor. I assumed they'd be hitting along with the Shredder/Krang 2-pack but I'm not sure if that's been the case. My store has the Shredder set but nothing else. That's not to say I didn't just miss B&R but I haven't seen any on ebay with the retro logo either.

As for the head thing, Mattel DID release accessory packs for MOTUC that included some alt heads. NECA could go that route, though I think I would maybe be more inclined to just buy the figures again. They'd probably stretch the four heads across two packs and I have very little use for more weapons and such.

And really, this is NECA we're talking about here. They're absolutely going to triple/quadruple/whatever-dip on those bodies and release them again with new heads. It makes sense from a business standpoint and it also keeps turtles on the shelves. I think the best scenario we can hope for is that they include trenchcoats and hats with the new releases. That way they're new enough to warrant a purchase but they can also serve the purpose of being the classic toon turtle that we don't have yet.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #1225
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbreaker77 View Post
Fair enough, and you're right. But the post and the poster seemingly came out of nowhere and almost intentionally against the grain. But you're right.... I don't even really care to be honest. Sometimes this place cultivates a knee-jerk reaction. LOL!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #1226
Trailbreaker77
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Fair enough, and you're right. But the post and the poster seemingly came out of nowhere and almost intentionally against the grain. But you're right.... I don't even really care to be honest. Sometimes this place cultivates a knee-jerk reaction. LOL!
Believe me it's not a exclusive to the TMNT forums here, this place is tame compared to the TF forums and they are nothing against the Star Wars group.

That place is full of hate, sorry Dark Side! Anyways when I'm not on the TF boards I do lurk here and on the Toyark site.

To be fair I've seen some fans of NECA praise their absolute **** because in their eyes NECA could do no wrong.
Trailbreaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #1227
LeoRaDoMic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3h View Post
Here is the first problem NECA is going to face which just releasing heads: which paint color do people want? Half of the fandom like the brighter colors over the darker screen accurate ones. NECA distributed more of the brighter ones than the original darker ones since the refresh was ordered heavier by Target.
It also doesn’t make business sense to release heads a year or so from now and not have Turtle figures on the market to put them on.
Since all the tooling cost is in the new heads and not the production of the bodies, it is far more cost effective with higher returns to release full figures with new heads than it is for an accessory pack, which would be considered very niche.
I very much get the “vote with your dollars” and get only what you want...I’m far from a completist collector, and have what I have opened and displayed. That said, I did get both color schemes of the turtles because I liked them both and could display them in two different set ups. I would get another set if they offer them with the new head sculpts, but I’m not sure I would bother with an accessory set since I would probably want another set of bodies to display them on.

So let me ask this, IF Target said that they are not interested in carrying an accessory set but wanted more basic turtles but refreshed, would you prefer
A) two two-packs of the turtles with the new head sculpt. Easily skipable if you don’t want to buy.
Or
B) four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an army builder type figure (not more foot soldiers). This way you get something if you feel compelled to buy, but still could skip.
Or
C)four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an all new figure in each. Basically you would have to buy if you want all the new characters.

And as a bonus question, which color would you want the new headed turtle figures to be: bright or dark?
Quote:
Great post....

As for color - NECA should release both at the same time. This actually benefits them. It's a simple paint deco and it would allow them to double dip, increase volume to help their economies of scale and to cater to both buyers. It's basically a non-issue.

As for tooling costs - this term is coming up a lot. But consider this - the oversize Turtles clearly have the "animated head sculpts". Most figures start as a "two-up" - a larger figure. It's no issue for manufacturers to scale down an existing sculpt. In many ways it's part of the normal process anyway, given the 2-up method of design. Hell they don't even need to tool a mold. They could just 3-D print them, so again this should be a non-issue that has several fixes.

As for voting with your dollars - nice job, brother.

As for packing - I'd prefer a bubble pack with nothing but heads. Cheap, less plastic and no need to buy new bodies when the current ones are well done.

Honestly, this head thing would be unprecedented, but if NECA would simply do it they would be demonstrating some real market leadership and ingenuity. I'm sure buyers would get behind it. I'd be willing to construct the email to send to them and directing NECA to this convo, but a real contact other than their generic customer service would be the best option. I don't have any personal contacts at NECA neither through my occasional wave1collectibles efforts or from old industry writing days.
Jesus, speaking about overthinking stuff....

Neca just release 2 accessory packs each with 4 goofy show accurate heads. One pack for the first generation with the darker skin and one pack for the second generation with the lighter skin. Any addition with small figures like Shredder fly and stuff is an nice bonus. Problem solved.
LeoRaDoMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #1228
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
I’m personally head over heels with everything NECA is doing with toon turtles. I love April (yes, that exact April), Casey, slash, leatherhead, Splinter, Baxter, Triceratron, and Krang Android Body. Amazing toys, and I’m willing to drive for hours to get them.
You like skinny legs krang?
Seriosuly, he should stop skipping leg day.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #1229
Creedog
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
His legs are definitely slimmer than they were on the show, noticeably thinner. But yes, I still love him! And I can’t wait to put him on my shelf!
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #1230
zelu1984
Foot Soldier

Quote:
The legs are defo too skinny but this might still be fixed! (Fingers crossed)
zelu1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #1231
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRaDoMic View Post
Jesus, speaking about overthinking stuff...
Just rollin' with the conversation as someone else was having it, brother. That aside, it would be cool to have some head's included as an accessory pack with pizzas and stuff like that.

You seem pretty clear on the idea! Send NECA a message on behalf of the fans and let's get this going!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #1232
LeoRaDoMic
Banned

Quote:
Just rollin' with the conversation as someone else was having it, brother. That aside, it would be cool to have some head's included as an accessory pack with pizzas and stuff like that.

You seem pretty clear on the idea! Send NECA a message on behalf of the fans and let's get this going!
Sorry, I'm just a direct person. No more pizza pieces please. It's so much now it's nothing special anymore.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #1233
TurtleManiac
Stone Warrior

If anyone has skinny legs it’s NECA toon Shredder! The arms also, since those arms and legs were originally for comics Shredder who is a bit more slim, making his upper body buff for toon Shredder while using the same skinny arms and legs from comics Shredder makes him look like the skip legs day guy. It’s really a shame that they went the lazy route with toon Shredder being the main villain, the armor looks totally wrong, the loin cloth painted differently to look like pants, and even the head looks too small and out of proportion compared to other figures (i.e. Bebop’s fist is almost the size of Shredder’s head). If you think April’s head looks too big, it will probably make Shredder’s head look even smaller and out of proportion.

The re-use of parts on Shredder is what’s killing this line for me, because he’s the main villain of the series but they did not make him cartoon accurate! All the other figures look better, even Foot Soldier and Slash who also re-use parts I could overlook that since they still have the correct armor and elements from the show although Foot Soldier’s belt is a bit too wide, but I feel they really dropped the ball on Shredder, since he’s the main villain, they should have put more effort into it like the turtles and made him perfect, all these years we still don’t have a 1987 cartoon accurate Shredder figure. I suspect it was rushed for SDCC 2017. Funny how they also used those same arms for their new video game Shredder and painted the wrist wraps flesh color and added some straps that the cartoon version should of had. Those arms and legs they keep re-using on Shredder are proportionate to the NECA comics turtles since that’s what they were originally intended for, they are shorter than the toon turtles, so he even looks kinda small next to the toon turtles. Any chance NECA would make another toon Shredder at some point that is screen accurate?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #1234
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post
If anyone has skinny legs it’s NECA toon Shredder! The arms also, since those arms and legs were originally for comics Shredder who is a bit more slim, making his upper body buff for toon Shredder while using the same skinny arms and legs from comics Shredder makes him look like the skip legs day guy. It’s really a shame that they went the lazy route with toon Shredder being the main villain, the armor looks totally wrong, the loin cloth painted differently to look like pants, and even the head looks too small and out of proportion compared to other figures (i.e. Bebop’s fist is almost the size of Shredder’s head). If you think April’s head looks too big, it will probably make Shredder’s head look even smaller and out of proportion.

The re-use of parts on Shredder is what’s killing this line for me, because he’s the main villain of the series but they did not make him cartoon accurate! All the other figures look better, even Foot Soldier and Slash who also re-use parts I could overlook that since they still have the correct armor and elements from the show although Foot Soldier’s belt is a bit too wide, but I feel they really dropped the ball on Shredder, since he’s the main villain, they should have put more effort into it like the turtles and made him perfect, all these years we still don’t have a 1987 cartoon accurate Shredder figure. I suspect it was rushed for SDCC 2017. Funny how they also used those same arms for their new video game Shredder and painted the wrist wraps flesh color and added some straps that the cartoon version should of had. Those arms and legs they keep re-using on Shredder are proportionate to the NECA comics turtles since that’s what they were originally intended for, they are shorter than the toon turtles, so he even looks kinda small next to the toon turtles. Any chance NECA would make another toon Shredder at some point that is screen accurate?
Dude, you're talking about the best Shredder figure ever made.
HOW DARE YOU!!
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #1235
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post

i agree.

Quote:
HOW DARE YOU!!
http://www.oafe.net/yo/art/neca_tmntcc12.jpg

ha. it IS the best shredder figure ever made, but only because all the others are total garbage (super shredder from the 90s line was great though). it could have been so much better, that's all.

i feel like the level of quality from neca tmnt (non-movie) dropped significantly after the line's hiatus after the 2008 turtles. the 2008 turtles were incredible – basically perfect. the shredder we got for that line that eventually came out had thick lines and a rushed paint job in comparison. it almost feels like it doesn't belong with the turtles that came years before it. that, combined with the overly reused parts, and the line has really taken a hit in quality overall.

don't get me wrong, i'm so excited for this line and love it. but, thinking about how it could have been if it was produced with the standards of the 2008 turtles...it could have been so much better even.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:52 AM   #1236
zelu1984
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i agree.

ha. it IS the best shredder figure ever made, but only because all the others are total garbage (super shredder from the 90s line was great though). it could have been so much better, that's all.

i feel like the level of quality from neca tmnt (non-movie) dropped significantly after the line's hiatus after the 2008 turtles. the 2008 turtles were incredible – basically perfect. the shredder we got for that line that eventually came out had thick lines and a rushed paint job in comparison. it almost feels like it doesn't belong with the turtles that came years before it. that, combined with the overly reused parts, and the line has really taken a hit in quality overall.

don't get me wrong, i'm so excited for this line and love it. but, thinking about how it could have been if it was produced with the standards of the 2008 turtles...it could have been so much better even.
I have to agree with that... I feel like Shredder is the weakest figure in this line so far (from what was released) and I would gladly pay for another, upgraded version. S.H. Figuarts Shredder would have been the BEST Shredder figure but sadly it was never released
Old 02-28-2020, 01:47 AM   #1237
LeoRaDoMic
Banned

Quote:
HOW DARE YOU!!
http://www.oafe.net/yo/art/neca_tmntcc12.jpg

Ehm I think that honor goes to 1/4 1990 Shredder.

About cartoon Shredder Neca: he could be more buffed and a little bit taller, but overall I'm happy with it and it represents FW Shredder well.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #1238
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Is Shredder's shoulder blade plate supposed to look worn, slightly chipped? I got the two pack in the mail from Target and it caught my eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200228_220552_001.jpg (99.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-29-2020, 05:52 AM   #1239
zelu1984
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Is Shredder's shoulder blade plate supposed to look worn, slightly chipped? I got the two pack in the mail from Target and it caught my eye.
my one has it too
Old 02-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #1240
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelu1984 View Post
my one has it too
I was getting upset. I thought it go damaged in transit somehow. Is it supposed to imply "battle damage"?