The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #2001
Leo656
The Franchise

I watched the movie where Joker comes back a couple of times, and a few episodes here and there. Never grabbed me at all.

Things either hook me or they don't. If it still hasn't after multiple tries, I'm not gonna force it.

Could've been the hype that ruined it for me. I wasn't watching much TV when that show was fresh, so I only saw it way after the fact. After hearing over and over again how "great" it was, by the time I saw any of it - the movie, I think - I was seriously underwhelmed.

Combine that with the fact that that's absolutely not where I'd foresee, or want, the Batman mythos to go in my personal "headcanon" - on account of it pretty much disregards everything that's ever been established and foreshadowed about the mythos in favor of pushing some WB writer's fanfic character into a place of unearned importance - and yeah, not for me.

I'm a pretty hard stickler for canon, and since there's no way that version of events would ever be "canon" to me I can't muster any emotional investment in it. As a movie or a mini-series, perhaps I could invest in it, but not as this big ongoing multi-season thing. Same reason I didn't care about "Smallville" or "Gotham"; they're not "my" versions of the characters and situations, and are in fact so far removed from that, I'm not gonna spend that much time on something that's only going to annoy me in the long run. "It's just another version" only goes so far with me. I can roll with that thinking for a couple of hours, but no more than that.

Someone can try and justify to me 80 different reasons why "Future Batman" isn't Dick, or Tim, or God forbid even Damien, but in fact is Some Rando instead. And in short doses I might entertain that notion. But it's still "wrong", so it's not gonna get five whole Seasons worth of my attention, there's just no way.

I'm glad other people like it, good for them. I gave it a few glances and mostly shrugged. Movie was okay. But that's all, just "okay".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #2002
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Batman Beyond is the best canon future for Bruce Wayne. It confirms:

- Bruce is still alive well into his 80's and beyond, so he never gets killed or dies when he's younger

He's alone and pretty miserable, with his true loves either possessed by his in-laws (Talia), or were driven away because he put the mission first (Barbra),

Tom King dropped the ball on his mainline DC work hardcore, the second half of his Batman run and Heroes In Crisis are legit some of the worst comics you will ever read, but his Bat-future does away with that s*it. He had Bruce die peacefully and as an entirely content man, having married Selina and grown old with her. For everything else I have against him, I'll never forget Tom for having the kaonas to finally declare that the DCAU isn't the definitive word on how Batman should live.

King even has the audacity to connect the Batman/Catwoman series directly to Mask of the Phantasm for good measure, and makes it the defacto sequel. The nuts on that man.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #2003
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Dick takes Barbara for late night pizza. The pizza stand is called Marv & George's Pizza. Dick: Two slices, please! Barbara looks at him funny: Seriously? Dick: What? Barbara: You are a billionaire now! Dick: Oh,right! Make that four slices!

Ah, those little moments! I would like to see more of those!
Old 04-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #2004
ZariusTwo
Overlord

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...ngle-spoilers/

So Dick's got some 'Fire over in Titans Academy, and already Kory feels insecure when he tells her Babs is calling him home to Bludhaven.

Considering we just had Death Metal where Dick more or less vowed to win back Babs' heart and finally move on to marriage with her, the idea Dick has to say it isn't what it looks like to Kory already shows he grossly underestimates her intelligence.

Poly want a cracker?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #2005
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Right, so I read all of Titans Academy#2 today...first, right off the bat, this book isn't getting any better and needs to find some way of turning around quickly, for a comic that finally makes Red X canonical to the DC universe, it's way off base, finding no real time to focus on any of the mentor Titans in favour of shiny new students.

The second is that Dick is being depicted as incredibly sleezy, he's definitely dating Kory again but he feels obligated to check back in on Bludhaven and partner up with Barbara, and then vents to Cyborg privately that it always comes back to her and that he's worried he can't make it work with Kory. This is crap because it's implying he's bothered by Babs' friendship with him when if you read what Taylor's doing he very much appreciates it and they come off as far warmer and loving around one another than how he treats Kory.

Kory hasn't really won here, and she lets Dick know it in the very issue. She's playing second fiddle to Dick's childhood sweetheart despite sharing a bed with him. She's insecure. She has the power to fly over to Bludhaven and stay in touch with him, but she clearly feels intimidated by Dick and Babs working partnership and discouraged by their friendship

Taylor is very clearly building to Dick and Babs in his run, he's tweeted out to fans hopeful for a romance to keep reading. They are going to happen, Dick and Kory are being written as a pairing with problems by someone who has openly said that's all he's writing it as. This is NOT a victory or a good look for Dick and Kory regardless.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:25 AM   #2006
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Right, so I read all of Titans Academy#2 today...first, right off the bat, this book isn't getting any better and needs to find some way of turning around quickly, for a comic that finally makes Red X canonical to the DC universe, it's way off base, finding no real time to focus on any of the mentor Titans in favour of shiny new students.

The second is that Dick is being depicted as incredibly sleezy, he's definitely dating Kory again but he feels obligated to check back in on Bludhaven and partner up with Barbara, and then vents to Cyborg privately that it always comes back to her and that he's worried he can't make it work with Kory. This is crap because it's implying he's bothered by Babs' friendship with him when if you read what Taylor's doing he very much appreciates it and they come off as far warmer and loving around one another than how he treats Kory.

Kory hasn't really won here, and she lets Dick know it in the very issue. She's playing second fiddle to Dick's childhood sweetheart despite sharing a bed with him. She's insecure. She has the power to fly over to Bludhaven and stay in touch with him, but she clearly feels intimidated by Dick and Babs working partnership and discouraged by their friendship

Taylor is very clearly building to Dick and Babs in his run, he's tweeted out to fans hopeful for a romance to keep reading. They are going to happen, Dick and Kory are being written as a pairing with problems by someone who has openly said that's all he's writing it as. This is NOT a victory or a good look for Dick and Kory regardless.
Titans Academy is not a kiddie comic? I saw the title with 'Academy' I assumed that it was like Tiny Titans. So Dick and Barbara are not a couple and Mr. Grayson is sharing a bed with Starfire? Apparently there is a lack of continuity and editors passing notes. It makes him look bad as he has to 'work Starfire out of his system' again. I just really like the natural relationship of Dick and Barbara. The relationship with Starfire was merely a way of moving Dick Grayson out of the Batfamily to flesh out his character and that is done building him so let's go with that feel good relationship that is relatable.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #2007
ZariusTwo
Overlord

http://theaspiringkryptonian.com/202...nnedy-johnson/

New interview with Phillip Kennedy Johnson about Action Comics

Points of interest

-Taylor's first few issues of Son of Kal-El takes place before any of the big stuff in Johnson's run, so it's more filler

-Taylor has plans for Jon and Saturn Girl

-Johnson gets messages from Kid Jon fans all the time, he says Jon will still be written very much like the kid he was

-Johnson did not agree with how Jon was depicted in Future State and implies they'll stray far from it.

-House of El wasn't Johnson's idea, and he claims, conceptually, all of the kids in Future State can be Jon's descendants.

-Lois and Clark aren't breaking up anytime in the immediate future

-Johnson wants a Jurgens run, and will stay for as long as DC allow.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #2008
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was just thinking about something today. I remember seeing the breaking news of the assassination of Bin Laden by Seal Team Six in Pakistan. I was reading an issue of the Brightest Day bi-weekly when it hit. Ah, the memories we can tie to comics. A direction that never got proper opportunity to bloom.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #2010
AquaParade
Banned

Brilliant artist. I loved that elseworlds Batman book he drew a few years back. A different kind of Batman tale. Highly recommend.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #2011
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ink's not even dry on Infinite Frontier, but we got another Crisis next year, and then another the following year

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...event-in-2023/
Old 05-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #2012
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

4 year plan? The last time I heard anything like that was Stalin's overly ambitious failure The Five Year Plan! Reads like an annual crisis. Perhaps it is like Identity Crisis, Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Infinite Crisis, 52, Final Crisis. This appears that Infinite Frontier is 52. I was hoping for a breather from events, but that is how comic companies get the most of our money.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #2013
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I used to really like the Big Events, but that was when they were spaced out every 5 years or so. I was too young to read "Crisis On Infinite Earths" as it was happening, so the first "kinda" big one I read was "Armageddon 2001" (which sadly didn't end up amounting too much, but was still fun), and the first "really" big one was Zero Hour, which I loved. But I doubt Zero Hour would have had any impact if it had come out in 1988, rather than 1994 or whatever it was. You gotta let these things breathe.

"Infinite Crisis" is one of my favorite stories ever but if they did that every week then it would be stupid. They built that story for two years and by the time it was over with it felt like the Biggest Thing Ever, legitimately, if you followed the entire build-up and everything. That was the last "big event" that felt really earned, to me. Since then they all feel like they just rubber-stamp these things.

I guess Doomsday Clock was decent, but in the Big Picture how "necessary" did it really end up being to the larger DCU? In some ways that whole thing feels like an ElseWorlds story, which I am sure was not the intended point when they started it.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #2014
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What turned me off of Big Events was Flashpoint. I had no investment in the final chapter of Barry Allen's return from the dead. The fallout needed to be contained within the corner of Flash in the DCU. If it involved a wider character set like Blackest Night make it self contained and a chance to character build. Not restart everything in the most insulting matter. Final Crisis was not too interesting and was confusing because it is Grant Morrison it was not forced down your throat.There was also a direction set up with Brightest Day, but was not allowed to bloom.

Infinite Frontier is a direction that was spontaneously entered after Didio's intention was pulled just before the pandemic. I wonder if this is like Brightest Day in that a direction started but then suddenly pulled.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #2015
Leo656
The Franchise

To this day I'm not sure why Final Crisis is supposed to be so confusing.

Anyone who ignored Countdown and made sure to read "Superman Beyond: 3D" should be perfectly fine. I know that DC didn't specifically market SB3D as being essential to the event or anything, but given that it's been over ten years by now I don't see how anyone reading it Today would have any problem with following it.

The only thing that muddied it up, in my opinion, was that Countdown was sold as being "important", and it wasn't, and furthermore none of the tie-in mini-series really mattered much, either. Given that DC kept insisting that those books WERE important, if a person read all of those books and then went into the main Final Crisis series expecting any of that stuff to matter or pay off I can see them being a bit lost, expecting payoffs that weren't coming and whatnot.

But just reading the main mini-series along with SB3D, as it's supposed to be read, I really don't see any issues with it.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:08 AM   #2016
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Final Crisis is fine, I agree. I think a solid portion of it would have been pulled for Snyder's JL sequels if they'd been made (hell, the intended death of Batman was probably one such idea)
Old 05-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #2017
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I suppose Final Crisis is worth a revisit when I have more free time in about two weeks from now. I remember finding the reincarnated New Gods bit confusing and the resolution cheap along with confusion on how Darkseid
actually conquered Earth for one month. It just happened. Batman's storyarc off and the death of Hawkman seemed to be forgotten about as he dies again a year later in Blackest Night. Barry Allen's return from the dead after 23 years seemed unnecessary to the storyarc.

I was wondering if there were set ages of the Batfamily. I ask because both Dick and Barbara mentioned that they had law degrees. It always goes back and forth how much college Dick has completed and Babs while having a degree could have started early. In addition to that Tim was recruited to be a mole in the orphaned kids shelter. So Tim has to have lost some age to him to fit that role even if he is a babyface and looks younger than he is.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:52 AM   #2019
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Today's Batman/Catwoman seems to be Tom King trying to make up for how OP he made Harley in Heroes In Crisis...that, or he just can't help continuing to make Selina herself very OP.

Old Harley wants Old Selina dead not just because she killed the 'love of her life', but because she robbed her of the pleasure of murdering him herself. Selina tells Harley she can see right through her 'good girl gone bad' act and beats the crap out of her, leaving her gift-wrapped for her daughter Helena when she checks in on her mother at the end
Old 06-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #2020
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So Titans Academy I thought was an out of continuity a lart of the 5G scraps that don't mean anything like Tim Fox, the formerly forgotten character from Len Wein's run. I thought Nightwing was picking up where Death Metal left off and Dick is trying to earn Barbara's love. So what is this about being committed to Starfire? Is it editors not checking with each other? I want to say that the Nightwing plot is what counts by favoritism and it can nix the controversial enabling of Blockbuster II's murder at the same time.

https://screenrant.com/nightwing-sta...eelings/tldr/8

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman