The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #41
staypuftweepel
Foot Soldier

I was really hoping for Bebop and Rocksteady to actually do something here. The battle of the bands ended so anticlimactic. I thought maybe they’d get up there and even if they supposedly sucked maybe get into a fight with people or something besides go, “nah, we’re not even gonna try because Jen, you are the most amazing turtle girl ever.” It didn’t seem very Bebop and Rocksteady at all. Just another chance for the book to let you know that Jennika is super amazing. I’m also not a fan of Campbell’s April O’Neil. She looks like a completely different person compared to other artists on the book. Even Tokka and rahzar’s fate was completely underwhelming.
staypuftweepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #42
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah this was... I mean seriously, Bebop and Rocksteady didn't even try? After like four issues of build up and this is what we get? Not only was this low stakes to begin with but we don't even really get a payoff.

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #43
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by staypuftweepel View Post
I was really hoping for Bebop and Rocksteady to actually do something here. The battle of the bands ended so anticlimactic. I thought maybe they’d get up there and even if they supposedly sucked maybe get into a fight with people or something besides go, “nah, we’re not even gonna try because Jen, you are the most amazing turtle girl ever.” It didn’t seem very Bebop and Rocksteady at all. Just another chance for the book to let you know that Jennika is super amazing.
This is probably the most blatent instance of Jennika's "Mary Sue-ness" yet. She's so amazing at a skill that we can't even verify because it's a comic that the famously super-strong, psychotic, and fight happy Bebop and Rocksteady are immediately shamed into quitting without a fight and express how awesome she is. If there was anyone who doubted her Mary Sue status or continued to defend her, there is absolutely no way that can be done anymore. It's clear as day. I had low expectations anyways and yet somehow they managed to disappoint. The video clip nailed it.

There was a time when I simply didn't care about Jennika. She was just a bland secondary character. Now I'm at the point where I actively hate her and what she represents about the state of the comic. I really hope things can turn around soon and we can get back to the actually interesting things in the comic.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Regarding Tokka/Razhar we'll likely get a mini-series with them in the future timeline, so I don't mind them leaving so soon. Besides there's really no place for them now, Karai isn't going to use them and the Turtles keeping them under control would be too much trouble. I'm just glad they finally appeared at all given I didn't think we'd ever see IDW versions of them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #45
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Is that Venus-Not-Venus in the upper left?
How about going the other way 'round with the Venus/Renaissance angle and looking to Botticelli's works to call her Flora?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
Um, actually, the TMNT and their allies are aware of the LeatherKrang situation. Was mentioned by Angel and Alopex mentioned it in the TMNT ANNUAL 2020. Of course, Rat King used his powers to make Angel and Alopex forget about actually witnessing LeatherKrang in the sewer, but they (as well as the TMNT) do all know LK's lurking in the shadows somewhere... they just don't know where.

Talk soon...

Tom W.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's been a while since I last read the 2020 Annual and I misrembered it as the Turtles and their allies not yet being aware of the whole LK situation, instead of just Angel and Alopex having a run-in with him and then being made to forget. That makes a lot more sense than my jumbled take on it. How about my prediction for Kitsune's fate? Am I in the ballpark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytmnt View Post
What was the point of the battle of the bands? Or Tokka and Razzor appearing? Wasn’t Rocksteady and Bebop a deadly threat? Everybody seems to be friends with there is no sense of threat or danger in the story. There is too many new characters that are uninteresting and I could care less who Jennika hooks up with. 17 issues of just seeing random characters hang out is way to long!
I can't speak for the battle of the bands or Bebop and Rocksteady - though given their bizarre characterization in this issue, I'm surprised they didn't show up in the group shot in the future as well - but the purpose of Tokka and Rahzar seems to have been to cement a truce between the Splinter and Foot Clans, and to have Karai owe the Turtles her life. There's a number of other ways it could've been done, of course, but this way we got two major nostalgia-factor characters to put in an appearance so it's even better. And speaking of the truce between Clans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytmnt View Post
I wish this would be a TMNT comic again. There is still so much potential in this comic and so many storylines where it could go that would be far more interesting than animals kissing. For example, someone taken up the mantle of Shredder like Chrell and forcing Saki to team up with the turtles and confronting his past could be awesome. Or a new deadly criminal organization. Anything but what we are currently seeing.
... I fully expect Karai to don the mantle of the Shredder in the not-too-distant future. It's currently free for the taking, after all. The question is, how will the Turtles react? How will Saki react? And will there be any other claimants to the title?

And I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but dang if it isn't a perfect time to bring in IDW Chien Kahn! Make him the newly-mutated leader of his own mystical ninja clan (white ninjas for the win!) with an interest in Saki's innate Dragon Warrior powers (sound familiar?), make him have a bone to pick with Hob due to being mutated into a dog (and ashamed of it, which is why he wears the mask) and plans to muscle in on the Foot's turf, and the story writes itself. Hell, make him Jennika's arch-nemesis, since everything in this comic has to go through her anyway. Just bring him in. There won't be a better time.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:12 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

In the future pic which woman is supposed to be Karai? It's hard to tell.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #47
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think she's there.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Whose the woman with the black hair on the left? She looks Asian.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #49
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Whose the woman with the black hair on the left? She looks Asian.
Indeed, but she looks too young (and amiable) to be Karai.

Sophie, if you're reading this, wanna weigh in and give us a who's who of that panel, please?
Old 06-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #50
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
Wait, that lizard like mutant behind Jay, oh my god! Did Mona and Donnie finally do it?!
I thought that at first myself, but there are a couple of others who also have the pink face markings like the spiky guy on the left, so I think they're just 'Hamato-clan' initiates or something like Lita and the triplets, plus I'd have thought that the character would be closer to Don and Mona if it was their offspring.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also I don't think this is that far in the future, Lita is only about 10 years older, right? April and Casey don't look that much older than they do now. Can't see the Turtles having any offspring or Karai being much older.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #52
puirnaut
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Is that Venus-Not-Venus in the upper left?
It also seems to me that Venus de Milo is levitating with Bludgeon. I hope we are right.
puirnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #53
TheJ-manTurtleMan
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Is she on that flying insect thing?
Or one of those mutants?

"I love a little hot sauce on my pizza! I love a little hot sauce yes I dooo!"
TheJ-manTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

I *think* Karai is the woman with black hair on the left, but who knows. Maybe Sophie can come in and tell us who is who. I think the girl with purple hair and darker skin is probably Angel...

The only obvious absent characters are Bebop/Rocksteady, Old Hob and any of the older Mutanimals, and I guess Kitsune?
Old 06-10-2021, 02:19 AM   #55
hypered1
Mad Scientist

So having looked into the Bob and Carmen thing a bit further (having not read the Archie series previously) I'm now fairly confident that the four behind Zink, Raph and Alopex are the IDW versions of Carmen, Nobuko, Bob and Miles (Leo's future students) respectively.
So the only characters I can't name are the two turtles and the spiky person on the left, the reptile and ant with Jay and Casey and the girl on the giant flying insect.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:56 AM   #56
Ninjinister
無問題

Not a fan of the anti-climax of "oh they're too good we can't compete". "Created in Darkness" is exactly the perfect name for a metal band though, it's so cringy. I enjoyed the rest of the book.

Picking out all of the characters in the future was fun. I can't wait until they show them meeting Needlenose.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:53 AM   #57
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Wait, that lizard like mutant behind Jay, oh my god! Did Mona and Donnie finally do it?!
Its possible, Looking forward to see how there relationship starts developing throughout the years.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #58
puirnaut
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its possible, Looking forward to see how there relationship starts developing throughout the years.
I hope that never happens. Raph/Mona fans will never forgive Sophie for this.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #59
puirnaut
Random Punk

Quote:
It's not funny. I hope that's not the case.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #60
ChosenOne
Banned

The mystery lizard could be Mondo. The body type doesn't look right, but who knows?

Apart from Burnow Island/LeatherKrang, the other plot thread I'm hoping we get a glimpse of sooner rather than later is the fate of the former Mutanimals we haven't seen yet since the bomb went off.